As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Been up all night vomiting; green bile (SOLVED)

ArgusArgus Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I've been vomiting since about 1:30, and I have vomited somewhere around 9 times. At first, I vomited up food, but then I ran out of food, and couldn't eat anymore because I'd just vomit it right back up. Now I'm vomiting a medium-darkish green bile and getting really exasperated; every time I try to sleep, I feel the need to and then start vomiting as soon as I get drowsy/am about to drift off.

What's up, should I see a doctor, and when would you estimate this will stop so I can get some sleep?

pasigsizedu5.jpg
Argus on

• Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    fucking doctor now.

edit: Have you got any idea what it could be? If not doctor.

Maybe something you ate that looked suspect?

Get plenty of fluids. Get those hydrate packs if you can.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hydrate packs?

I know it's not alcohol, and my closest guess is maybe something I ate; I had some cereal for breakfast, chicken strips and fries for lunch, and a small pizza for dinner.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hmmm, what was on the pizza? I've had food poisoning from pizza the most.

Hydrate packs are like dissolving Gatorade. Gatorade or equivalent will probably do the trick.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hmmm, what was on the pizza? I've had food poisoning from pizza the most.

Hydrate packs are like dissolving Gatorade. Gatorade or equivalent will probably do the trick.

It was a cheese pizza. It was greasy, but I've had the exact same before and never thrown up because of it.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Was it cooked from frozen? Might not have cooked properly or something (Although it could just be your body finally giving up if that's representative of your typical diet).

Green vomit is typically due to vomiting bile once you've run out of food to throw up. It's 'normal' in the sense that it's what happens if your stomach is otherwise empty and you're still vomiting. But then normally if it's some sort of food-related vomiting it would typically stop once you've ejected to offending materials so it might suggest that there's something else wrong. I don't think vomiting typically becomes a seriously critical concern until there's blood involved, although persistent vomiting should always be checked on.

Do you have any other symptoms - pains etc. particularly abdominal or headaches? Have you banged your head recently or anything like that?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dehydration is the main concern here - you need to replace fluids, and certain salts and nutrients. So drink lots of water - yes you will vomit it up, but just keep drinking inbetween bouts - consider using dioralite to replace lost salts and electrolites.

Motilium and immodium are tablets that will reduce the vomiting, but you probably need it in suppository form which may only be available with a doctors prescription.

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh, I made up a song about Dioralyte a couple of weeks ago. Hang on, let me see if I can remember it.

Vaguely to the tune of The Israelites: Ahem...

"Get up in the morning,
    covered in shite
    What can I take to make me feel all right?
    Oh, oh oh, Dioralyte.

Diarrhoea and vomiting,
    Lots of fluids I'm loosing,
    What will help me replenish me electrolytes?
    Oh, oh, oh, Dioralyte"

And so on and so forth.

Sorry, that isn't really helping. Does Immodium control vomitting as well? I thought that was mainly to control diarrhoea?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had the same kind of thing happen to me on a cruise before. I was fine all day, then at night I felt like shit and vomited about 12 times all together, like every half hour or so. Then I felt sick the next day and didn't eat too much, and then the next day it was fine. I guess it was either food poisoning or a 24-ish hour bug. I couldn't really go to a doctor because doctors on cruise ships are not covered by health insurance and charge like a grand just take a look at you. I never threw up green bile though, just stomach acid after the food was gone. But yeah, water is a good idea. Even if you throw it all up it is easier to throw up water in your stomach than heaving until stomach acid or bile comes up.

Smurph on
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The correlation with drowsiness makes it pretty important to see a doctor. As you said, it's keeping you from getting any sleep in addition to the whole vomiting aspect. It's not really going away on its own, so medical intervention would be pretty awesome.

Regardless of whether you do that or not, drink water, Gatorade if you have it, and try and get someone to grab you some stuff specifically designed to rehydrate you. All that fluid's gotta be replaced or you're going to feel even worse soon.

Also, if you happen to see a ragtag group of 4 running around outside with shotguns and Uzis, try your best to hide your ailment from them. They may get the wrong idea...

matthias00 on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honestly, it just sounds like the flu to me.

If it was food poisoning you'd likely have it coming out of both ends. I'd keep yourself hydrated and try to get some sleep. Also, try to force some food on yourself. Something light like chicken soup. Even if all you can get down is some of the broth that's better than nothing.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Erm, see/call a doctor. If it's food poisoning, he or she may actually recommend not drinking water until the vomiting stops. Just gulping down fluids sometimes just loosens up the rest of your stomach fluids. You don't want to lose those linings or you won't be able to eat anything for a while without losing it.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oral rehydration therapy
    There are several commercially available products but an inexpensive home-made solution consists of 8 level teaspoons of table sugar (sucrose) and 1 level teaspoon of table salt mixed in 1 liter of boiled water. Fructose (fruit sugar) or artificial sweeteners should not be substituted for the table sugar in this recipe. A half cup of orange juice or half of a mashed banana can be added to each liter both to add potassium and to improve taste. This recipe is preferable to sports drinks which are formulated to rehydrate healthy individuals and so contain too much sugar and too little electrolytes for this purpose.
    Adults and children with dehydration who are not vomiting can be allowed to drink these solutions in addition to their normal diet. People who are vomiting should be fed small frequent amounts of ORS solution until dehydration is resolved. Once they are rehydrated, they may resume eating normal foods when nausea passes.

Vomiting itself does not mean that oral rehydration cannot be given. As long as more fluid enters than exits, rehydration will be accomplished. It is only when the volume of fluid and electrolyte loss in vomit and stool exceeds what is taken in that dehydration will continue.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ALWAYS DOCTOR / ER

My gf was up all night vomiting and I half slept through it. Started 10-11 pm and lasted until the morning. At around 6, finally decided to go to ER (Canada so it's free), and they gave here IV for fluids and some drugs for the nausia.

They thought it was probably food poisoning but their biggest concern was her dehydration. She sucked down 3 Liters of IV fluid and gave her some gravol for the sickness.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like a classic case of food poisoning to me. Yeah, it usually comes out both ends, but I got it twice last year. The first time it gave me the runs only after I had finished vomiting for 15 hours, and the second time it was only vomiting.

Hydration, doctor if it persists, etc, etc.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. I went to the doctor, and they gave me 4 liters of saline and some anti-nausea stuff, plus a prescription for anti-nausea pills. The doctor said it was something like Gastroenteritis or something like that. I'll probably be going back tomorrow for a check-up, but right now I'm pretty good, just having to eat some because of all the food I haven't had.

This thread can be locked now.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg