As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Question: I have never read powers. I've heard it's good. What is good about it? What is it like?

It is fun. Interesting characters. If you like detective/CSI/Courtroom Drama shows it is a lot of fun.

You can also check out some of it online. The first arc is called Who Killed Retro Girl?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I enjoyed Civil War, found WWH really boring, but Secret Invasion just made me really angry.
    Should I stop reading Marvel Events, or should I give the dark avenger thing a shot?

muninn on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just heard the Joker and Lex Luthor engaged in comical fist fighting recently. What was that from?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I just heard the Joker and Lex Luthor engaged in comical fist fighting recently. What was that from?

Salvation Run, maybe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    I enjoyed Civil War, found WWH really boring, but Secret Invasion just made me really angry.
    Should I stop reading Marvel Events, or should I give the dark avenger thing a shot?

If you mean "Dark Reign", for the millionth time it's not an event. It's a labeling, similar to "Initiative" after Civil War.

If you mean Dark Avengers, that's not really an event, but it should still be pretty juicy.

Also, what made you angry about Secret Invasion?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    muninn wrote: »

If you mean "Dark Reign", for the millionth time it's not an event. It's a labeling, similar to "Initiative" after Civil War.

If you mean Dark Avengers, that's not really an event, but it should still be pretty juicy.

Also, what made you angry about Secret Invasion?

Well the whole event was setup really well and in a very interesting way. It had good premise. Shit goes down, and nothing really happens for a bunch of issues, until Dr. Fantastic shows up with his deus ex machina gun, which propmpts the finale of this whole fiasco: heroes just beat up the invaders. I mean really. Al this planning and all those contingency plans and they just got beat up. There was no story there.

muninn on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Their whole plan was based on Reed's intellect. Once he was freed, that was Game Over. He was smart enough to get them in, and thus smart enough to counter them.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The way I saw it, it was baasically that the Skrulls were ridiculously overprepared, but comically incompetent.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Isn't that always the case? I mean, really, no alien races as old as these should be getting constantly outsmarted by glorified apes.

It's funny though that all of the cosmic series have aliens belittling humans and Earth, but then they get schooled or end up following the leadership of those same apes.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Isn't that always the case? I mean, really, no alien races as old as these should be getting constantly outsmarted by glorified apes.

It's funny though that all of the cosmic series have aliens belittling humans and Earth, but then they get schooled or end up following the leadership of those same apes.

Or they do fun stuff like Maximum Security.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Did Checkmate and Infinity Inc get canceled? I don't see either on the upcoming release schedule.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    Checkmate's last issue was in October. Infinity Inc's was in August, I believe

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Thought so. I would have liked to have seem more Checkmate, had they not devolved into the stupid story arc of doom.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thought so. I would have liked to have seem more Checkmate, had they not devolved into the stupid story arc of doom.
    Yeah, that last arc was fucking terrible.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I keep seeing the "Fables" trades in my local book store...they look sweet, but I know nothing about them...should I pick them up?

Also, it is near impossible to find "Y: The Last Man" volume 8. EVERY PLACE I got to has 10, but none of them have 8!

Preacher is awesome, and I will be picking up some more of them when the holidays are over, but I have been looking at 52 for awhile now. I have never really been into DC that much, but with these recent Vertigo finds, I am finding it more intriguing. And the art for 52 looks kick ass. But what is it about?

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Forkes wrote: »
    I keep seeing the "Fables" trades in my local book store...they look sweet, but I know nothing about them...should I pick them up?

I dunno, do you like really good comics that present characters you've seen before in new ways? If so, yes.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Forkes wrote: »

Also, it is near impossible to find "Y: The Last Man" volume 8. EVERY PLACE I got to has 10, but none of them have 8!

Preacher is awesome, and I will be picking up some more of them when the holidays are over, but I have been looking at 52 for awhile now. I have never really been into DC that much, but with these recent Vertigo finds, I am finding it more intriguing. And the art for 52 looks kick ass. But what is it about?

52 was great even if you don't know a lot about the characters and Fables is simply fantastic.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    One of my former room mates had a bunch of old Iron Man issues from the 90s. I read most of them. Not very good at all.

I'd say that Matt Fraction's current Iron Man is probably the best the character has seen in a long time. Maybe ever. I agree that most of the best Iron Man moments are not from his solo books. They are from major events and super team stories.
    Director of SHIELD was pretty damned good. Definitely good enough that they didn't need to replace the Knaufs with Fraction when he could write other things.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I once read a book that had a collection of a Teen Titans/JLA crossover. Cyborg was evil without a body or something and had them in a weird place. In the end he turned good and had a gold body. What was the name of that book?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thought so. I would have liked to have seem more of Rucka's Checkmate
    Amanda Waller is a million times better than Nicky Fury.
    Iroh wrote: »
    Director of SHIELD was pretty damned good. Definitely good enough that they didn't need to replace the Knaufs with Fraction when he could write other things.

Director of SHIELD was criminally underrated. It really was the only espionage book out alongside and then after Casanova ended season 2, and yet Invincible doesn't strike me as a successor to that genre.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Secret Avengers will probably be your book then.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. Hopefully Secret Warriors will be good, though I do hate all of his core caterpillars.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. Hopefully Secret Warriors will be good, though I do hate all of his core caterpillars.

You mean the main guys? I don't know. Just from my brief exposure to them, Druid and Quake seemed neat, and I think the idea of Phobos is cool too.

Hellfire, though? He seems stupid. And the Stonewall, the strong guy or whatever, dumb also.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Phobos is the only one who I think would be cool except that he's fucking ten year old.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Phobos is the only one who I think would be cool except that he's fucking ten year old.

He's a ten year old god of fear, and Ares' son to boot. That's why he's cool.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Iroh wrote: »

Director of SHIELD was criminally underrated. It really was the only espionage book out alongside and then after Casanova ended season 2, and yet Invincible doesn't strike me as a successor to that genre.

I hate Amanda Waller. That bitch has no morals or ethics and can die in a fire.
    When she was ejected from Checkmate I cheered.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

He's a ten year old god of fear, and Ares' son to boot. That's why he's cool.

He's still ten.

I hate Amanda Waller. That bitch has no morals or ethics and can die in a fire.

And?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, you may think it cool, but I don't see it as an admirable quality. She, like Luthor, is a villain; and there is no real point pretending otherwise.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's espionage. Adhering to morals and ethics will get you killed.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He's still ten.

You should check out the Ares mini-series, if you haven't. The kid gets abducted by the Japanese pantheon and learns to be a badass. Then he lays waste to all kinds of shit.

One of the most metal books ever.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Like I said, pretending she is not a villain is pointless. She has had an "office job" for years. I for one would kinda like the the management of the special ops units to know how to read a moral compass.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    He's still ten.

You should check out the Ares mini-series, if you haven't. The kid gets abducted by the Japanese pantheon and learns to be a badass. Then he lays waste to all kinds of shit.

Funny you should mention that. I'm getting it this week.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So hey, I saw an image in the title rotating thing for 4thletter that intrigued me. It's a variant of spider man making a gun with his hand, pointing it at a dude, and then apparently firing a bullet at him from where the webshooter normally is.

It's just so weird, anyone know where it's from?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    there was a spider-man what if recently where he became a secret agent, or something like that, and teamed up with wolverine I think

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think you might have confused 24 with good fiction. Morals and ethics are all that distinguish you from the bad guys.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    He's still ten.

Funny you should mention that. I'm getting it this week.

It's great.

I'm still kind of annoyed that subsequent versions of the character became something of a joke, but it's been long enough that I've gotten used to the meathead, mildly comedic Ares as well.

Also, since he's on the Dark Avengers side of that one splash page, we might just get a deeper examination of what it means to be a god of war.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A quick question. I looked Noh Varr on Wikipedia up the other day to see what his powers were because I never read the miniseries and only saw him in that Runaways Young Avengers thing before Illuminati and SI. I don't remember it mentioning causing huge explosions and shit like he did in SI, or was he just using a gun or something?

What exactly can he do?

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A quick question. I looked Noh Varr on Wikipedia up the other day to see what his powers were because I never read the miniseries and only saw him in that Runaways Young Avengers thing before Illuminati and SI. I don't remember it mentioning causing huge explosions and shit like he did in SI, or was he just using a gun or something?

What exactly can he do?

Didn't he take Skrull Mar-vell's equipment?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What all did Skrull Khn'nr have? The artificial Nega-Bands, I guess?

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I assume.

Anyway, Noh Varr's innate powers boil down to enhanced physiology. Basically he's strong, fast, feels no pain, excetera. There are other quirks, but he definitely can't fly or project energy without the aid of tech.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.