As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One G&T Thread to Rule them All

2»

• PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    -=sigh=-
    wtf people.

Given that you post in neither of the forums concerned by this issue I fail to understand your concern.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2005
    i sincerely apologize for having an opinion .

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    edited February 2005
    i sincerely apologize for having an opinion .

That's right. Now get back into the kitchen.

Pheezer on
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    So how about:
    - One thread per subject without prior mod approval.

?

I'd much rather one thread per actual discussion than per "subject", but that may just be me.

Toast on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Toast wrote:
    apotheos wrote:
    So how about:
    - One thread per subject without prior mod approval.

?

I'd much rather one thread per actual discussion than per "subject", but that may just be me.

The reason this whole issue is an issue is many people on the internet are stupid, and stupid people can't seem to understand that sometimes people are already discussing something they want to discuss.

Expanding on my original example, I do NOT want to be seeing:

Half Life 2 - Whats your favorite control setup?
    Half Life 2 - Do you like the T-Shirt You Got in Your Collectors Edition?
    Half Life 2 - Discuss Level 6!

...which could be semi-logical extrapolations on "discussion vs subject". Yes, we need to allow narrower threads, but the reason our rule is so broad is because its the only rule that can be expressed simply. I'm not sure how we can improve on this aside from discouraging user-moderating instead leaving it up to the mods who can allow when appropriate.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    If "Subject" and "Discussion" were a bit less vague(Not saying it's anyones fault, but in general it seems vague) it'd be easier.

I always viewed a discussion as "The New LoZ - Is it what we wanted?"
    While Subject would be "Legend of Zelda thread".

They could easily be confused(the subject being darker Zelda games and the discussion on the LoZ series as a whole). The problem is the words seem so interchangable it's impossible to say "NO Subjects. Discussions are fine" or vice versa.

I think the current system just needs to be loosened up slightly.

The Muffin Man on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88850

what was the point of that? DD doesnt even move very fast in terms of threads.

all music related subjects have to go in a music thread? or just because the words "national anthem" were used, it should have gone in a totally unrelated, for all intents and purposes, thread about defying a teacher in the classroom?

Deusfaux on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    I made a decision, and I consider it a valid one. Not only was the subject sufficiently similar to give the other anthem thread something broader to talk about (respect/not for the rituals surrounding the state and patriotism), the second thread did not contain enough material to survive on its own. It could also have gone in the music thread, but that's more of a reach.

You've complained twice now about a mod decision in public. Don't drop the soap.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2005
    I didnt complain in DD where the rule serves a purpose. I mentioned to someone else i felt it was valid, but oh well. There was no whining, no insulting your person, no asking or demanding the decision be reversed. I simply noted my support in thinking the thread's creation was valid.

I didnt realise you did things so gestapo around here.

MD is the place where administrative stuff like this IS discussed. (or are we not allowed to use specific examples in relation to this thread's very subject: TOO MANY THREADS GETTING FORCED TOGETHER)

You know, maybe if I made a scene of it, OR ACTUALLY COMPLAINED, you'd have a case. Right now you're just grasping at straws to do something punitive to me.

Deusfaux on
    edited March 2005
    Thaaat's right. I really have nothing better to do than listen to you whine and bitch about everything that happens in DD. No, really, I'm all ears.

Now shut the fuck up, do.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2005
    Hey. Hey, you know what's not cool? Likening people to the fucking Gestapo.

Toast on
    edited March 2005
    ah, go on. I haven't had a good Godwining in years :D

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2005
    "Likening people to the fucking Gestapo"

eh to me its synonomous with any desire to squelch communication between people for unjust reasons.

especially communication regarding anyone in power's recent public activities

"damn dude! you know you're not even supposed to acknowledge that shit just happened!"

obviously all the other gestapo qualities arent being alluded to here

Deusfaux on
  • Nfinit VylenceNfinit Vylence Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Man, you people are letting absolute lamers down in here.

Nfinit Vylence on
    The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
    edited March 2005
    Deusfaux wrote:

eh to me its synonomous with any desire to squelch communication between people for unjust reasons.

"damn dude! you know you're not even supposed to acknowledge that shit just happened!"

They were the fucking Nazi secret police. You truly are fucking dumb aren't you?

[edit] And no, it's not fucking obvious. For it to be "obvious" that you were only talking about specific aspects of their practices (which have incidentally been carried out by many other organisations which you could have referred to instead without invoking Godwin's goddamn Law) you would have to, at the very least have a reputation for sane, objective commentary with no hint of bias or hidden agendas, which you don't have.

Toast on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Deusfaux wrote:

However when you make a comparison like that, you don't get to be selective about the traits of the compared item/subject. You need to fully consider the implications before doing so, as a comparison to the Gestapo not only means authoritarian rule, but also throwing users into ovens and gas chambers. That is an inherit quality of what you said, and not only is it foolish to then respond "Oh, except for the REALLY inflamatory bits, I didn't mean that", its utterly retarded for you implicate that is obvious you never meant the inflamatory bits when in fact its just a straightforward reading of your prose.

The standing rule of this place is if you don't like what a Mod does, take it to PM. Period. End of story. No exceptions.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited March 2005
    but i didnt say i didnt like it.

i remarked i thought it was valid thread and "oh well its gone" --> i moved on. i didnt realise how big a deal it was to do something like that. "totally heinous and deserving of punishment" right?

if i actually cared to make a fuss or cause a scene, i might have even asked that it be reopened, or said something about the cat, or whatever. but i didnt, and dont. next time ill just remember you're not allowed to talk about a mod locking a thread whatsoever.

otherwise > its over, i cant change it, ooookay? again. ive moved on to the rest of the day. Lets not have several more people chime in with their 2 cents on something that happened hours ago

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88638&start=425
    uh-oh. someone called themselves a nazi. are you guys going to jump down their throat too? (people call each other one on the forums all the time* - what's with the sudden sensitivity if I do it?)
    *http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88849

Deusfaux on
    edited March 2005
    Deusfaux wrote:
    but i didnt say i didnt like it.

i remarked i thought it was valid thread and "oh well its gone" --> i moved on. i didnt realise how big a deal it was to do something like that. "totally heinous and deserving of punishment" right?

if i actually cared to make a fuss or cause a scene, i might have even asked that it be reopened, or said something about the cat, or whatever. but i didnt, and dont. next time ill just remember you're not allowed to talk about a mod locking a thread whatsoever.

otherwise > its over, i cant change it, ooookay? again. ive moved on to the rest of the day. Lets not have several more people chime in with their 2 cents on something that happened hours ago

See, the thing is that you're a fucking twat, Deus. Here's why:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88638&start=425
    uh-oh. someone called themselves a nazi. are you guys going to jump down their throat too? (people call each other one on the forums all the time* - what's with the sudden sensitivity if I do it?)
    *http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88849

"EVERYONE STOP POINTING OUT WHY I'M JAILED LET'S MOVE ON...

OKAY SO ABOUT ME BEING JAILED"

That aside, if you can't figure out the difference between attacking a mod for doing their job in a public post and someone jokingly referring to themself as a Nazi, I think I should ban you for being too stupid to be trusted with the ability to post here.

Pheezer on
  • FenloreFenlore Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Deus man, a word from the half-wise, and you should know this as well as I do, I know how you feel wanting to defend your position, but man, just take the jailing and wait it out, it's better that way.

Fenlore on