As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NXE, That new Xbox Dashboard Thing?

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    and before you ask, the x doesn't show up as an option on the bottom of the screen unless the game has a 0gs
    Which really sucks when you have some crappy game that gives you an achievement for starting it up. >_>

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    and before you ask, the x doesn't show up as an option on the bottom of the screen unless the game has a 0gs

wouldn't have but thanx. But that would be a good option though. Sometimes it would be cool to get all those achevements in Halo 3 all over again.

Of course, without just making up another gamertag ...

thought

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    I have a question about the physical xbox hardware. I just got a really awesome headset to play games with and not bug people at night and it has an optical input specifically for Xbox. I'm hooked up via HDMI cable so how the fuck am I supposed to hook up my optical cord if the optical input is on the component cables themselves? I can't hook up the headset without the optical input, so am I expected to downgrade my cables just to use them? Why didn't MS think of a solution to this when they came out with the ELITES that are HDMI by default?!

This doesn't affect the normal headset right? Cause I haven't used mine yet but I have an HDMI cable as my connection.

No because the one that comes with the 360 hooks up through the controller. Has nothing to do with the HDMI connection. But if you see my next post after that one everything is cleared up. The elites came with a dongle for optical that I didn't notice in the box.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Norfair wrote: »
    I'm still having the problem. Toggling it on and off don't do anything. It will work if I turn the machine on again right away after being toggled on, but if it's off longer than about ten minutes, it forgets and I have to sign in again anyway.

There's only one profile on my machine as well. edit: Also, with the connection test, I'm getting four bars. So there's nothing wrong with my network, either.

I hope it's just a bug, and not a sign of something worse.

I was having this issue and when I toggled it it worked fine until it decided my Rock Band instruments should autosign in instead of the controller.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Hey, wasn't someone in here going to transplant their own larger hard drive into the 360 case a week or so ago?

Did we ever find out how that went?

I think he got Livebanned, arrested, shipped to Gitmo, then hung drawn and quartered.

And they didn't even refund him the rest of his year subscription.

That's most of the reason why I'm not even thinking about modding my Xbox in any way at all. I don't want all my shit banned and taken away. MS points, Live subscription, Live Arcade games, all gone! Physical games can just be played on another system, but if you get the banhammer, all that shit is gone. =\

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Norfair wrote: »
    I'm still having the problem. Toggling it on and off don't do anything. It will work if I turn the machine on again right away after being toggled on, but if it's off longer than about ten minutes, it forgets and I have to sign in again anyway.

There's only one profile on my machine as well. edit: Also, with the connection test, I'm getting four bars. So there's nothing wrong with my network, either.

I hope it's just a bug, and not a sign of something worse.

I was having this issue and when I toggled it it worked fine until it decided my Rock Band instruments should autosign in instead of the controller.

I don't know what it the problem was, to be honest. After Live came back up from maintenance last night, I did every damn thing their support said to do, and instead of fixing the problem, I was unable to access the Marketplace for a few hours. Although I did find that I was able to access leaderboards and get patches for games I already have, so I was able to connect to Live during that period. Just not the Marketplace. I also couldn't sign into xbox.com during that period, although I could get to the site through my PSP's browser. But all the necessary ports were open and all my router and firewall settings were fine.

Booted it back up this afternoon to test an oXbox game I got from Goozex, bam, everything is fine, auto sign-in even works. Huh. I'm not going to complain.

Norfair on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So... I'm thinking of selling my old 20GB HDD on Ebay (since I got the 120GB). How do I go about deleting everything on the HDD? Plug it in and do a system restore or something?

urahonky on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    So... I'm thinking of selling my old 20GB HDD on Ebay (since I got the 120GB). How do I go about deleting everything on the HDD? Plug it in and do a system restore or something?

If I remember correctly (I did this a few months ago), there's an option to wipe the HD clean in the systems tab.

RainbowDespair on
    edited December 2008

If I remember correctly (I did this a few months ago), there's an option to wipe the HD clean in the systems tab.

Awesome. Thanks... I don't want to give anyone all my games and LIVE IDs that are attached to it.

urahonky on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you transfer your stuff from the 20 to the 120 with the cable and disc, it automatically wipes your 20.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone tried XSATA? I plan to get one to backup my files just in case and hopefully transfer them to future HDDs, but I'd like to get some more opinions.

[edit]I believe there's a newer product by Datel which allows you remove the HDD and transfer files without having it on the 360, but I can't find it at the moment.
    [edit2]Here we are, XPORT.

In other news, my auto-sign has mysteriously worked again :D

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, my wife bought a new xbox so she could play in the bedroom.

Unfortunately, even with a memory card, it won't let me transfer certain things from their original place on the hard drive. Both full games and in many cases even just saves refuse to transfer.

What's the deal? Can I move my wife's favorite games to the new xbox?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited December 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    If you transfer your stuff from the 20 to the 120 with the cable and disc, it automatically wipes your 20.

Really? Sweet! I'll plug it in, just in case, but I hope that it's the case.

urahonky on
    edited December 2008
    templewulf wrote: »

Unfortunately, even with a memory card, it won't let me transfer certain things from their original place on the hard drive. Both full games and in many cases even just saves refuse to transfer.

Depends on what games. Off the top of my head, Rock Band 1 and Perfect Dark Zero prevent moving saves like this. There are most likely others.

Put her profile on the memory card and redownload the Arcade games. You won't be able to play them offline on the new machine unless you reassociate them with the DRM tool.

Willeth on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Depends on what games. Off the top of my head, Rock Band 1 and Perfect Dark Zero prevent moving saves like this. There are most likely others.

Put her profile on the memory card and redownload the Arcade games. You won't be able to play them offline on the new machine unless you reassociate them with the DRM tool.

Which can only be done once per year per gamertag and only will affect DLC originally downloaded with the gamertag in question blahblahblah.

Some save are locked from copying for whatever arcane reasons the devs wanted. The likeliest is that they don't want people to be able to easily copy saves to hand out to make achievements easier to get. Or maybe they just don't want the saves to be hacked.

You know, logic!

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited December 2008

I'm confused, are you saying that I should put her profile on the memory card, and insert it into the secondary (non-puzzle quest-licensed) xbox? Then, try to redownload the puzzle quest game itself? Since I paid for it with points from my account, will I have to be signed in to redownload it, or can she redownload it on the licensed console?

templewulf on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's tied to your account, which means on the unlicensed console you'll have to use your sign-in in order to use the full version. I apologize in advance if I didn't understand the question.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's tied to your account, which means on the unlicensed console you'll have to use your sign-in in order to use the full version. I apologize in advance if I didn't understand the question.

But I think in his situation, she won't be able to play it. Aren't games and other DLC downloaded by other gamertags on secondary consoles off limits to all but the 'owner'?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honestly, they should just add the capability to upload saves to MS's servers and have them tied to your Live account. That way, they're backed up, and if you ever want to take your save to another XBox, you can just sign in and download it. I hate going to a friend's house and have to play off of his save when he's not as far into it or has less shit unlocked or whatever.

Doubt'll happen, though, since MS makes those Memory Cards for a reason.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    edited December 2008

But I think in his situation, she won't be able to play it. Aren't games and other DLC downloaded by other gamertags on secondary consoles off limits to all but the 'owner'?

Well, I should clarify. The old xbox has component output, whereas the new one has HDMI, so we put the old one in the bedroom (for her) and the new one in the living room (for me). So, she's going to sign in with her profile (non game-owner) on the old xbox (game-licensed).

However, the hard drive from the old box is going to the new box.

Also, I can't get both XBoxes to an NAT of Open on my network. Merry Christmas? :lol:

templewulf on
    edited December 2008
    The Xbox it was bought on will be able to play it regardless of profile. The new Xbox will need to be signed into Live with the profile that bought it in order to play it.

Willeth on
    edited December 2008

Yes. In other words, she won't be able to play it on a secondary console on her gamertag.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited December 2008

Yes. In other words, she won't be able to play it on a secondary console on her gamertag.

Ah, so if the old XBox has it on memory (HD or MU), she'll be able to play it with her profile?

What about that DRM migration tool? Is that in the NXE or do I have to use it from the xbox site?

Thanks, everyone!

templewulf on
    edited December 2008
    Correct, the old "licensed" 360 will allow any profile to play the full version because there's dual licensing going on: one license with the console it was originally purchased on, and one with the gamertag that purchased the game. This will allow the purchasing gamertag to use the full game anywhere else, but only while connected to XBL. Remove the licensed console from the equation and her gamertag won't work. She'll have to use your GT on the secondary console to play the full version.

The DRM migration tool is on the xbox.com website. It was implemented before the NXE dash and doesn't have anything to do with it. You could transfer your licenses to the new 360 from your old 360, but then she couldn't play purchased games on the old 360 with her gamertag. Get it? She'd be in the same boat, but in reverse ;)

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    It's at xbox.com/drm but I don't think you need to use it. The old Xbox should be in the bedroom and the new one downstairs. The old one will be able to play the content regardless of profile or Live connection, and the new one will be able to play it only if the profile that purchased it is signed into Live.

Willeth on
    edited December 2008
    It's at xbox.com/drm but I don't think you need to use it. The old Xbox should be in the bedroom and the new one downstairs. The old one will be able to play the content regardless of profile or Live connection, and the new one will be able to play it only if the profile that purchased it is signed into Live.

Pretty much this. The ultimate solution would be to use the DRM transfer so that all content downloaded by the original gamertag is still usable as expected on the new console. Then upgrade the wife's gt to Silver (if it isn't at least that already) and buy points and download any desired content.

This option is more expensive, but is the only way to absolutely guarantee 'ownership' on and offline. But Willeth's situation is good enough. Unless the new Xbox is expected to be offline for long periods...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My Auto Sign-In just started failing again, so I gave up and disabled it. I can't figure out what causes the problem, but it takes maybe 7 extra seconds to sign into Live anyway, so fuck it. I was thinking that it was because I have two controllers (the wireless, which is my primary, and a wired one, which I got so a pal and I were able to beat each other senseless in SoulCalibur last weekend), but disconnecting the second controller didn't do squat.

Oh, well.

Definitely loving the installs. I think I'm going to rotate mine so I can always play off the hard drive whenver possible. The ten-minute installs are worth never having to hear the jet engines taking off the rest of the time.

Norfair on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I decided to try the game install thing with GTA IV. Now, sometimes textures take a minute to load, especially when I head into tunnels, and sometimes, all vehicles will sit a few feet (in-game measurements. Maybe a half-inch on my screen) off the ground. I never noticed these problems when I played off the disc. Why would things have changed in the transfer?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited December 2008
    So I decided to try the game install thing with GTA IV. Now, sometimes textures take a minute to load, especially when I head into tunnels, and sometimes, all vehicles will sit a few feet (in-game measurements. Maybe a half-inch on my screen) off the ground. I never noticed these problems when I played off the disc. Why would things have changed in the transfer?

Delete it off the HDD and reinstall?

urahonky on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got this today. Fucking awesome. Avatar options a little limited, but they're great. Theyre fun without being too childish, and childish without alienating me. Thumbs up! Also, quick-launch is easily the best feature ever. I used to hate having to go to the dash and clicking x times to find whatever i'd just downloaded or want to play. I'm finding the interface so much nicer to look at, so much faster, and a shitload easier to navigate. And the learning curve for me was next to nothing.

Connect360 has also made my 360 fuckloads more useful than it ever was before, happily plonked down $35AU for that.

desperaterobots on
    edited December 2008
    After spending a month or so with it it's very clear that this is the first version, you know. I don't know who thought having Xbox Dashboard as the first option in Guide when there's a shortcut key for it was a good idea, for example.

Willeth on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah. I thought about that. I'll try it later today and see.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So my 20GB drive is getting pretty full with rockband tracks and I'm considering getting a larger one in the next few months (down to 1.2GB, all save games, rb tracks, and purchased arcade games, so I can't really delete anything to make space).

My question is regarding multiple profiles. My wife and I both have Gold Live accounts. Will the drive transfer thing grab both of our profiles or only one? All purchases have been made on my account to make life easier, but I'd rather not lose her save games/rockband avatars/bands. I do have a memory card that most of her save games could be copied to, but I'm concerned about the ones that lock out the copy option.

So, will I be good to grab both profiles with the drive transfer thingie or do I need to use something else to backup her non-copyable saves prior to running the transfer?

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
    edited December 2008
    Both will transfer over. I just did it a few weeks ago, and when I select a profile my friend's account was still on there.

urahonky on
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Both will transfer over. I just did it a few weeks ago, and when I select a profile my friend's account was still on there.
    Excellent. I thought I read somewhere that it only let you pick one profile to move over and then wiped the old drive which I thought was a stupid design idea, but seemed like something that could be true. Glad to hear it isn't the case and I can get both profiles before the wipe.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    After spending a month or so with it it's very clear that this is the first version, you know. I don't know who thought having Xbox Dashboard as the first option in Guide when there's a shortcut key for it was a good idea, for example.

And "play this game" on the bottom.

There needs to be a faster way to switch between party chat and game chat.

FyreWulff on
    edited December 2008

Yeah. I thought about that. I'll try it later today and see.

Sounds more like a problem with the game engine. I believe I'd noticed things like that (floating vehicles) when I was playing the game before the NXE. I just chalk it up to a problem they've had since GTA3. As far as the textures not loading, you're probably just moving too fast. Copying to the HDD may improve most performance issues compared to streaming off the drive, but if you're tearing around the streets, the game has trouble catching up. A problem they've had since GTA3...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I noticed there is a new free Premium "Winter" theme.

Nothing too special, but decent enough for the holiday season, some of the "friends" backgrounds are nice and festive.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did anyone else know about the extra hair colours? If you go into customise and select hair, then wait about a minute the icon flips over and you can select a bunch of extra hair colours.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Hey, wasn't someone in here going to transplant their own larger hard drive into the 360 case a week or so ago?

Did we ever find out how that went?

I think he got Livebanned, arrested, shipped to Gitmo, then hung drawn and quartered.

And they didn't even refund him the rest of his year subscription.

That's most of the reason why I'm not even thinking about modding my Xbox in any way at all. I don't want all my shit banned and taken away. MS points, Live subscription, Live Arcade games, all gone! Physical games can just be played on another system, but if you get the banhammer, all that shit is gone. =\

This is very wrong. When you get caught with a modded console the only thing that gets banned from live is the console itself. That console will not be allowed to log into Xbox Live, but your live account, saves, dlc, XBLA games, mspoints, etc. are all still there and entirely untouched. If you were to go buy a new arcade console and throw your old HD into it, you'd be right back where you were before getting caught.

Summarized: Bans from modded consoles are a CONSOLE BAN, not a live account ban. Please stop the misinformation.

The Deliverator on