As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Locked [Weeaboo] Thread

1505152535456»

• SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Arminas wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    What the fuck, guys.

What? I think context is necessary here. Like the thread title change? Does that anger you? :|

No, I think a general what the fuck is valid at this point.

If we were to compare this to a multiple choice test, the answer would be "All of the above" I'm sure.

Slicer on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guys,let's talk aboout Tytania and how everyone in that anime is super gay and has multiple sticks up their asses.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So Code Geass is pretty fabulous, am I right?

Plutonium on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Guys,let's talk aboout Tytania and how everyone in that anime is super gay and has multiple sticks up their asses.

I'll let you know once I've watched some. I've got the first three episodes waiting for me at home.

Centipede Damascus on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »

Yes. Lelouch is awesome.

ViolentChemistry on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »

Yes. Lelouch is

fabmg4.jpg

Jragghen on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alright, i've had just about enough of this Digimon crap. I'm just going to spell it out in the open because nobody else is going to say it.

Digimon is not a good anime for this thread. There is no depth to it, the characters are mind-numbingly generic, and I have no idea why we've let this go on for so long. It is, at best, a very basic power-creep show that takes the definition of that so literally it's astounding. Whatever story comes around (ANY one of the Digimon stories) it always comes down to the higher level digimon throws the biggest one-shot attack and wins. It's exploits this concept worse than Dragonball Z did.

Back as a kid it was interesting (I remember watching the first generation on tv way back when), but today it holds no redeeming value whatsoever; not even weight in nostalgia. It is a show made purely to sell toys, trading cards and merchandise. No real thought is put into the product save for whatever will make a quick buck.

I think shrimpy took yet another shot at One Piece, and while that's all fine and good something he stated was that this show is for kids. Yes, while a good majority of the audience are tykes there's also a great deal of an audience all over the age spectrum. One Piece is an everybody show; anyone can get into this show because it never takes itself too seriously.

The complaint about Digimon getting a terrible dub fails, fails to compare to the horrible 4kids dub of One Piece. Out of all their properties, it was the hardest to localize for them, because when it comes right down to it this show can get pretty fucked up for a kid's cartoon; you can argue that there's more blood in this show than either Bleach or Naruto, among many other things. Whatever happened to Digimon's "story", One Piece got a much harder boot in the ass. We're talking entire story arcs skipped here, ones vital to the plot and would (and did) have drastic implications on tying everything together. This dub had THE worst edits i've ever seen in an anime, all because the company wanted to market it as the super property it has become in Japan.

The thing about One Piece is that it suffers from what I like to call "Iron Giant syndrome." On the outside it looks like a kid's property, but once you make the dive and realize all the stuff they pull off in there you'd be really surprised. It's incredibly difficult to pigeonhole this show for a specific audience, because it's not so obvious with its target demographic like Digimon is. So Oda doesn't try to market it towards a specific group; he just does what Oda does best. Sometimes there are going to be plotlines that are aimed at the kiddies, while other times there are jokes and plots that take root towards the older crowd. You can never be too sure with this property.

I could go forever on this stuff, but I guess the fact of the matter that i'm trying to make is that Digimon is a show for kids. You can watch it if you want but trying to convince anyone in this thread that it's become more than a kids show and grown into this rich tapestry of an epic and complex gem of a fable you're going to look legally retarded.

Godfather on
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Alright, i've had just about enough of this Digimon crap. I'm just going to spell it out in the open because nobody else is going to say it.

Digimon is not a good anime for this thread. There is no depth to it, the characters are mind-numbingly generic, and I have no idea why we've let this go on for so long. It is, at best, a very basic power-creep show that takes the definition of that so literally it's astounding. Whatever story comes around (ANY one of the Digimon stories) it always comes down to the higher level digimon throws the biggest one-shot attack and wins. It's exploits this concept worse than Dragonball Z did.

Back as a kid it was interesting (I remember watching the first generation on tv way back when), but today it holds no redeeming value whatsoever; not even weight in nostalgia. It is a show made purely to sell toys, trading cards and merchandise. No real thought is put into the product save for whatever will make a quick buck.

I think shrimpy took yet another shot at One Piece, and while that's all fine and good something he stated was that this show is for kids. Yes, while a good majority of the audience are tykes there's also a great deal of an audience all over the age spectrum. One Piece is an everybody show; anyone can get into this show because it never takes itself too seriously.

The complaint about Digimon getting a terrible dub fails, fails to compare to the horrible 4kids dub of One Piece. Out of all their properties, it was the hardest to localize for them, because when it comes right down to it this show can get pretty fucked up for a kid's cartoon; you can argue that there's more blood in this show than either Bleach or Naruto, among many other things. Whatever happened to Digimon's "story", One Piece got a much harder boot in the ass. We're talking entire story arcs skipped here, ones vital to the plot and would (and did) have drastic implications on tying everything together. This dub had THE worst edits i've ever seen in an anime, all because the company wanted to market it as the super property it has become in Japan.

The thing about One Piece is that it suffers from what I like to call "Iron Giant syndrome." On the outside it looks like a kid's property, but once you make the dive and realize all the stuff they pull off in there you'd be really surprised. It's incredibly difficult to pigeonhole this show for a specific audience, because it's not so obvious with its target demographic like Digimon is. So Oda doesn't try to market it towards a specific group; he just does what Oda does best. Sometimes there are going to be plotlines that are aimed at the kiddies, while other times there are jokes and plots that take root towards the older crowd. You can never be too sure with this property.

I could go forever on this stuff, but I guess the fact of the matter that i'm trying to make is that Digimon is a show for kids. You can watch it if you want but trying to convince anyone in this thread that it's become more than a kids show and grown into this rich tapestry of an epic and complex gem of a fable you're going to look legally retarded.
    I did a entire Documentary about it on Youtube, while I do need to go back and finish the last few parts, it illussustrates just how much worse Saban is than 4kids, and that Digimon actually has quite a bit of literary merit. the way the characters grow and learn and change is actually very heartwarming. Also, the fights really aren't all that bad.

Here it is again.

In reguards to the whole power creep show thing, what do you think most Super Robot shows are? if you don't like Super Robot you probably won't like Digimon. but even then, the character interaction is really good, and if you really pay attention to the characters in the original version, the heart-warming ness may make up for a dislike of the battles.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It's not gay, it's European.

But yes, the show is just a bunch of jack-asses in space. I'm enjoying it regardless.

Bad Kitty on
    edited December 2008
    Apparently Digimon has just enough depth to satisfy people who hate depth. Next song.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hah!

Bad Kitty on
    edited December 2008
    I hate depth when I have to dig through piles of complexity to get to it. the more complex a plot is, the more I feel like I'm trying to follow a long series. I don't like that.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008
    NEXT
    SONG.

ViolentChemistry on
  • LavenlianLavenlian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nice thread title change.
    Bad Kitty wrote: »

It's not gay, it's European.

But yes, the show is just a bunch of jack-asses in space. I'm enjoying it regardless.

I don't know about those that are still following it, but there a several moments of FABULOUS that elicit a chuckle/*facepalm* reaction. That's good enough for me.

Lavenlian on
    edited December 2008
    :lol:

I read this thread as much for the entertainment factor as for the discussion, anymore.

Jragghen on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

Digimon is not a good anime for this thread.

Disagree. Again, just because ClawShirmpy makes bad arguments, it doesn't mean Digimon is a terrible show.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So how bout that Basquach?

Godfather on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So volume 10 of the Battle Angel Alita: Last Order manga came out recently and I just got it earlier this week. It is a crazy world that Yukito Kishiro imagines man.
    So Alita was finally able to get Lou's brain back, but found out she ended up trading her real brain for it, the last human part of her. There are also currently 3 Desty Novas, one of which has a crazy afro and calls himself Super Nova. Alita got absolutely destroyed Super Nova at the end when she wanted to get her brain back and nearly died. She appeared to be getting brought back at the end of the volume and I expect the next volume to be a big fighting volume, something Yukito is rad at. Honestly at this point if you have been reading it none of this makes any sense, but I still love it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited December 2008
    oh shits. ohhhh shits. last order 10? TO THE STORE!

wait. fuuuck. damn you teleconfrences! gaaaahhhrble to the waiting two or three hours then TO THE MOTHER FUCKING STORE

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2008
    Digimon also has some damn impressive music, too:

Listen to this. Listen to this goddamn shinka song.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008
    For that to impress me I'd have to have basically never seen television. As it stands I could swear that song is in every toy-commercial.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited December 2008
    haha i couldn't tell if the person at the start was a guy or girl at first

erg, and the subber is doing the annoying shit with the subs.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's not effective use of music in anime at all. In fact, it's quite generic and unmemorable.

Then again, the use of Dvorak's Symphony #9 in One Piece spoiled me.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited December 2008
    That's not effective use of music in anime at all. In fact, it's quite generic and unmemorable.

That's just Savers, though. it's music is made to be over the top and hot-blodded.

The 2nd Digimon Movie, Bokura no War Game, made use of the Bolero.

Clawshrimpy on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Crawshrimpy: Nobody dislikes you for enjoying Digimon. At least nobody worth paying any attention to, anyway. But it is a television show aimed towards younger viewers. I think you're trying to validate your enjoyment of it by giving it more merit than it might have. You shouldn't feel guilty for liking it, but like it for what it is.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So volume 10 of the Battle Angel Alita: Last Order manga came out recently and I just got it earlier this week. It is a crazy world that Yukito Kishiro imagines man.
    So Alita was finally able to get Lou's brain back, but found out she ended up trading her real brain for it, the last human part of her. There are also currently 3 Desty Novas, one of which has a crazy afro and calls himself Super Nova. Alita got absolutely destroyed Super Nova at the end when she wanted to get her brain back and nearly died. She appeared to be getting brought back at the end of the volume and I expect the next volume to be a big fighting volume, something Yukito is rad at. Honestly at this point if you have been reading it none of this makes any sense, but I still love it.
    DAMN IT VIZ YOU TAKE TOO DAMN LONG. Volume 9 came out last year. The Manga is still a volume or two ahead. It's fully possible to make them come out like say... 6 or 8 months in between instead of an entire freaking year, and still not get completely caught up.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Crawshrimpy: Nobody dislikes you for enjoying Digimon. At least nobody worth paying any attention to, anyway. But it is a television show aimed towards younger viewers. I think you're trying to validate your enjoyment of it by giving it more merit than it might have. You shouldn't feel guilty for liking it, but like it for what it is.

This. I was constantly mocking myself while watching Avatar, but damnit, it was enjoyable. I was surprised at some of the content for being on Nickelodeon (posing the question of 'when is murder morally justifiable' and copious amounts of open-mouthed kissing stand out), but I'm not going to pretend it wasn't a kids show. Still entertaining, damnit, but still a kids show.

Jragghen on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked how after years noticing the similarity between Digimon and Final Fantasy characters that I found confirmation of the inspiration online. It was more than obvious with the Cactuar, but the Cloud and Aerith lookalikes were somewhat debatable.

It also had Kefka :)

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

That's just Savers, though. it's music is made to be over the top and hot-blodded.

And Bolero is a boring-ass song.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

This. I was constantly mocking myself while watching Avatar, but damnit, it was enjoyable. I was surprised at some of the content for being on Nickelodeon (posing the question of 'when is murder morally justifiable' and copious amounts of open-mouthed kissing stand out), but I'm not going to pretend it wasn't a kids show. Still entertaining, damnit, but still a kids show.
    I don't know, whenever I rewatch the movies, it just all feels very epic.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008

lern2classicalmusic.

Clawshrimpy on
  • LavenlianLavenlian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Unless it gets tarted up, like in the newest season of Nodame.

Lavenlian on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Whaaat? It really picks up! After ten minuets! ;P

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I mean, the opening to Digimon Movie 4 made it sound pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVRMKHaPYM

Clawshrimpy on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

But that doesn't make it a deep show or one aimed towards adults.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    DAMN IT VIZ YOU TAKE TOO DAMN LONG. Volume 9 came out last year. The Manga is still a volume or two ahead. It's fully possible to make them come out like say... 6 or 8 months in between instead of an entire freaking year, and still not get completely caught up.

Well, Amazon currently lists Volume 11 for April of 2009, so here's hoping that one doesn't change too much

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

But that doesn't make it a deep show or one aimed towards adults.

Yeah, this.

It's okay to have guilty pleasures. I'm sure lots of us do. Doesn't make them something they aren't, though.

Slicer on
This discussion has been closed.