As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] The Winter of our something something

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Wooh, some more minor drama.

Apparently EP/GP is an unfair system!

Where unfair is defined as people with high EP getting loot before the people with low EP.

We wiped the GP part with the motivation that the old gear is now moot, but kept the EP since old effort for the guild is still effort.

As mentioned, I took a break until two weeks before Wrath hit. Naturally, my EP plummeted due to decay. But still there's some grumbling about me getting to "keep my EP".

The hilarious part is that the guy complaining, despite raiding and gaining EP while I was gone, has less EP than I do, with two months of decaying to my EP. Maybe he should, I dunno, raid some more?

Echo on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I keep reading EP as Pee Pee.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I always pronounce pvp as peeveepeen

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love being in a guild with friends. Loot council all the way.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Question, are there more than 140 quests in Icecrown? You see, my quest log is almost full (most of em dungeon quests that I haven't done yet and don't want to abandon. So I do the broken front quest, and find the guy lying there, and then he offers another quest, but at this point, its full. So I figured I go back and hand in the quest that tells you to find that guy. I go back to the spot and hes gone.

I'm bloody pissed because I've been doing every quest in every zone, and wanna get the northrend loremaster achievement so I can make the nice caster cloak. I'm horde btw.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are a lot of guys lying around in the Broken front you can get that particular quest from, just so you know. Just look around. In fact the follow up makes you find them for a different reason D:

EDIT: I'm also having a hard time seeing where all 140 quests are in Icecrown though. I feel like I'm about halfway (based on how far my quests have taken me down the main path of "conquest"), but I'm not halfway quest wise. And there are so many damn dailies and dailies, even the first time around (unless it's a yellow !, but it's not ever in Icecrown), don't give credit toward the total needed in the zone for the achievement.

Oh well, we'll see. I'll play heavily tonight and tomorrow and hopefully finish icecrown. Overall I like how the zone started quest-wise quite a bit; but it kind of lost momentum where I'm at and got a little disorganized. I had hoped the whole zone would be organized series of quests that took you up to Icecrown Citadel, but instead quests have been all over where I'm at.

I'm just a little tired of a zone having really good opening quests, really damn irritating middle quests, and really good end quests (Looking at you storm peaks), why do they feel the need to put a bunch of really ass designed and annoying as shit quests in the middle of a zone?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Icecrown has two problems: 1) a lot of the longer chains have group quests in them, which makes it hard to finish them sometimes given how phasing works, and 2) there are a lot of minihubs that the game doesn't do a good job of directing you to.

Not quite sure what you're specifically talking about, though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited December 2008
    There are a lot of guys lying around in the Broken front you can get that particular quest from, just so you know. Just look around. In fact the follow up makes you find them for a different reason D:
    couldn't just use a heal spell on them or a bandage or whisk them to away to the airship 5 seconds away or nothing. oh no, gotta kill em.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yes, there are more then 140 quests in icecrown, but you do need to complete that quest to do unlock a lot of the later ones. The quest givers are all "dying beserkers" lying around in that area, go talk to one. The quest he gives you is somewhat amusing.

dojango on
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

So even though I turned in broken front before doing the guys quest, I can still do his quest? Cause all the guys lying on the ground are gone.

Edit: Found another one, got the quest, phew.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love being in a guild with progress-oriented officers. Loot council all the way.
    Edited for my reality, but hi5 for loot council all the way!

Entriech on
    edited December 2008

So even though I turned in broken front before doing the guys quest, I can still do his quest? Cause all the guys lying on the ground are gone.

Huh. that's odd. I've finished that stuff and if I almost positive guys are still there. How they decided to handle phasing in Icecrown is really wonky though, it's like they couldn't decide how to leave a particular area after you finish quest lines.

Check back again; it's entirely possible someone else had just done the followup and that's why you couldn't find any soldiers. I'm on campus right now otherwise I'd log in and double check that they're still there.

EDIT: Ah, cool you got it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    couldn't just use a heal spell on them or a bandage or whisk them to away to the airship 5 seconds away or nothing. oh no, gotta kill em.
    I take it you didn't do the quest to save the soldier in northern Icecrown, where
    Ad'al itself appears in Icecrown but can't save a soldier from the scourge's plague...

Airking850 on
    edited December 2008
    Airking850 wrote: »
    I take it you didn't do the quest to save the soldier in northern Icecrown, where
    Ad'al itself appears in Icecrown but can't save a soldier from the scourge's plague...

I did but what does that have to do with the quest we were talking about?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Entriech wrote: »
    I love being in a guild with progress-oriented officers. Loot council all the way.
    Edited for my reality, but hi5 for loot council all the way!

Local definition of progress may vary. It's certainly why we went with the EPGP system. We see it as rewarding people who put in an effort to achieve the progress.

Echo on
    edited December 2008
    Airking850 wrote: »
    Aside from that line taking forever just for travel reasons, I really liked it. And techincally he did save him from the plague, just in a different manner than expected (well, I expected it actually, but still...). I don't at all mind quests that really hit the consequences of the war and such, but for the broken front quest did it say they were gripped with the plague? I don't really recall, I thought they were just dying. If they had the plague than yeah, ok, I get it; but I thought he said that he wanted you to kill them so they couldn't be turned into zombies which now that I think about it doesn't really make sense and it's probably not what he said and you're right. I'm rambling

EDIT: I just went and read the quest text and what the soldier says to you and there is no mention of the plague. I'm with Wren on this one then.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited December 2008
    no, he just wants you to kill the wounded alliance soldiers because he's a jerk.

dojango on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm actually having issues finding all 140 quests in icecrown. I've got 126 / 140 right now and figure that the 5 or 6 5 man quests I have left are going to chain once or twice. It's kind of annoying though.

edit: And looking at wowhead that's totally true.

shadowane on
    edited December 2008
    without knowing which quests you have left, it is hard to say... but there's a ring of blood style quest chain that should give you 5-6 "group" quests done in a few minutes. Says 5 man, but we managed to do it with 2 healers and a dps DK.

Also, the scarlet crusade quest line has about 3 group quests back to back, as does the "new DK" quests.

dojango on
    edited December 2008
    shadowane wrote: »
    I'm actually having issues finding all 140 quests in icecrown. I've got 126 / 140 right now and figure that the 5 or 6 5 man quests I have left are going to chain once or twice. It's kind of annoying though.

This is a stupid complaint but the randomness of difficulty of the group quests in Icecrown bug me. I'm a prot pally so I had yet to run into a "group" quest I couldn't solo, until Icecrown. Which makes sense, obviously, since it's the "final" zone, but I got so accustomed to soloing all the elites I ran into, and in fact have been able to solo many of the Icecrown group quests thus far but then you run into the random one where even with 22k hp and over the def cap etc, the guy will do 5k per hit for no apparent reason. Oh well, I'll man up and find teams but it was really good on the ego to be able to handle everything thus far.

EDIT: I'm saying my complaint is stupid, not yours.

The Dude With Herpes on

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I found myself 2 short with only 1 group quest left. Then I looked at WoWhead, and found the comments on the achievement itself very helpful.

Specific to Icecrown, there's a quest (for Alliance, at least) to slay golems and dark dwarves just outside the quest hub. However, if you stray just around the corner of the mountain, there are more dwarves and golems, but these specific golems drop an item that starts a quest chain that's a good 7 or 8 quests long.

Rather than having to get help with the group quest, I just did a couple steps of that chain and *BAM*, achievement earned.

Only ones I don't have done yet are Storm Peaks and Howling Fjord, though the Fjord is gonna be a bit time consuming: 0/130.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited December 2008
    I wish more of the zones had group quests like icecrown. it was fun to try and solo them and doing them in a group felt like it was more than just a simple boring fetch quest #243591

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't done Shalozar and Zul'Drak. So not really too bad since shalozar only has like 60 quests.

edit: And yeah Icecrown was the first zone I found that had 5 man group quests and mob that hit incredibly hard. My friends are working through that zone so I'll do it but it's annoying waiting.

shadowane on
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have done about 60 quests in the tundra and now 70 some in zuldrak. Other than that, INSTANCES! (only level 77)

Wombat02 on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So... I'm about to hit 70 for the first time, and aside from being excited about moving on to the new WotLK zones, I'm starting to explore mounts, flying mounts, etc...

As a 70 Death Knight, can anyone recommend me some cool/relatively easy to get mounts that I should start looking at? I've been out of the loop on high level content for so long that I never really looked into the whole deal, and now I don't even know where to start. What rep do I grind? How much gold do I need? I don't know these things!!

Vargas Prime on
    edited December 2008
    my only complaint is that so many of the group quests in icecrown had shit for rewards. like, gold, thats it. no followup. just go kill these 10 rape you in the ass elites and I'll give you 10 gold.

by the way if you do this easy soloable chain you can get a blue

risk vs.. haha ok, blizz gave up on that ages ago

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm under the impression that any dead that Arthas can get his hands on is going to be under his service sooner or later. I just figured it was a given

Or maybe the airship just has buoyancy issues?

Airking850 on
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So... I'm about to hit 70 for the first time, and aside from being excited about moving on to the new WotLK zones, I'm starting to explore mounts, flying mounts, etc...

As a 70 Death Knight, can anyone recommend me some cool/relatively easy to get mounts that I should start looking at? I've been out of the loop on high level content for so long that I never really looked into the whole deal, and now I don't even know where to start. What rep do I grind? How much gold do I need? I don't know these things!!

Dont worry about flying mounts until level 77, as you cannot fly until then. Just go questing and leveling.

frylocked on
    edited December 2008
    frylocked wrote: »

Dont worry about flying mounts until level 77, as you cannot fly until then. Just go questing and leveling.

Is there anything faster than my standard Deathcharger that would be available at level 70?

Vargas Prime on
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Is there anything faster than my standard Deathcharger that would be available at level 70?

Your deathcharger is already an epic ground mount, so no.

Wombat02 on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

No.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2008
    Damn... I thought "epic" mounts weren't available until at least level 60 and since I got my horse at 55, there would be something snappier available. Ah well, I guess I'll keep savin' that gold then.

Vargas Prime on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

This is a stupid complaint but the randomness of difficulty of the group quests in Icecrown bug me. I'm a prot pally so I had yet to run into a "group" quest I couldn't solo, until Icecrown. Which makes sense, obviously, since it's the "final" zone, but I got so accustomed to soloing all the elites I ran into, and in fact have been able to solo many of the Icecrown group quests thus far but then you run into the random one where even with 22k hp and over the def cap etc, the guy will do 5k per hit for no apparent reason. Oh well, I'll man up and find teams but it was really good on the ego to be able to handle everything thus far.

I remember this more then anything with that line of quests from the Bone Witch.

It's like "Kill this supposedly crazy-ass Vyrkul I'm possessing" (5 man quest). Soloed without dropping below 95% health.

The followup "Kill these even more bad-ass Vyrkul" (5 man quest). I get curb-stomped in about 20 seconds.

shryke on
    edited December 2008
    Damn... I thought "epic" mounts weren't available until at least level 60 and since I got my horse at 55, there would be something snappier available. Ah well, I guess I'll keep savin' that gold then.

a horrible twisted abomination of horse and ghoul isn't "snappy" enough? I guess you could always buy your race's traditional mount (I think).

dojango on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sure it was thought of and discussed ages ago but I only now just realized that Death Knights have Deathchargers because obviously they wouldn't have had that long period of reputation behind them in order to buy other mounts.

Can DKs get mounts of their race without needing rep? They naturally should, but I don't know.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited December 2008
    dojango wrote: »

a horrible twisted abomination of horse and ghoul isn't "snappy" enough? I guess you could always buy your race's traditional mount (I think).

Ha, no I mean, it was snappy as hell back at level 55. But I'm level 70 now (almost). 15 levels with the same horse, you just start to grow apart, you know? I'm looking to sample some new flavors.

Vargas Prime on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    shryke wrote: »

I remember this more then anything with that line of quests from the Bone Witch.

It's like "Kill this supposedly crazy-ass Vyrkul I'm possessing" (5 man quest). Soloed without dropping below 95% health.

The followup "Kill these even more bad-ass Vyrkul" (5 man quest). I get curb-stomped in about 20 seconds.

There appear to be two "levels" of elite mobs. A lower-level sort of type that will have between 25 and 40k hp, and is generally easily soloable by most classes, even though they'll be listed as objectives of group quests. Then there's another, beefier type that'll have 100k+ hp, and are generally not soloable unless you're a paladin and/or can exploit terrain to kite them.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hadn't thought about this either, but undead epic mount + deathknight would be a pretty logical combo.

Inquiring minds want to know.

desc on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Then there's another, beefier type that'll have 100k+ hp, and are generally not soloable unless you're a paladin/shaman/druid/hunter/warlock/prot warrior/death knight/mage (if the mob is slowable/rootable)

reVerse on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Then there's another, beefier type that'll have 100k+ hp, and are generally not soloable unless you're a paladin/shaman/druid/hunter/warlock/prot warrior/death knight/mage (if the mob is slowable/rootable)

OH, there's plenty that will fuck you up bad even as those classes.

The last chick in the New Hearthglen line, for instance, has a seal that allows her to ignore all armor on some (read "many") hits. She will fuck you good.

The other one I mentioned before is the same.

shryke on
This discussion has been closed.