As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bomb hoax in Boston--Marketing campaign

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zampano wrote:
    I pray to God that Dolphin gets what's coming to it.

Senjutsu on
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    feh. beated.

Glaeal on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SE++ Cross-post:
    revolve wrote:
    The two guys they have under arrest had the best press conference ever.

"Peter Berdovsky and Sean Stevens were released on $2,500 bail, said Mike Rich, their attorney. The next pre-trial hearing is scheduled for March 7.

In a news conference, Rich told reporters he had advised his clients not to discuss the incident. Stevens and Berdovsky took the podium and said they were taking questions only about haircuts in the 1970s.

When a reporter accused them of not taking the situation seriously, Stevens responded, "We're taking it very seriously." Asked another question about the case, Stevens reiterated they were answering questions only about hair and accused the reporter of not taking him and Berdovsky seriously.

Reporters did not relent and as they continued, Berdovsky disregarded their queries, saying, "That's not a hair question. I'm sorry." "
    This is awesome.

Is there a link for this?

EDIT: I am slow.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Correspondance from my aunt:
    Yes, my nephew, I agree that there was a bit of an over-reaction. A lot of the twenty-somethings had already spotted them and had been nabbing them as souvenirs.

I suspect that the Turner Broadcasting will get the lion’s share of the punishment, although they have now arrested the two young men who put them up. They even have video of them being put up. But when things calm down I’m sure they will get just a slap on the wrist. But it was a mess around town yesterday. Subways shut down, the river closed and pretty much gridlock in the center of town. So heads will roll and someone will pay.

Again, my aunt works downtown, commutes on the T, and works in one of the largest companies based out of Boston. She is up there in age, and very firmly liberal, but I just thought you'd like to hear an "outsider's" opinion.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • entropykidentropykid Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow, as the US inches closer toward war with Iran, *THIS* seemed to be the top news story yesterday.

Yes folks, the post 9/11 hysteria continues to run amok...first we were told to be afraid of al Qaeda, then shoes, then water bottles...now...Mooninites! With their jihad pixel blasts!

I think this was a glorious guerrilla marketing strategy, and no matter how much Cartoon Network will have to pay in fines, the publicity for this is immeasurable.

Of course, when REAL terrorist attacks happen, only the rulers in charge have warnings to get away.

Hey maybe they could say Iran planted these "bombs", Iran seems to be blamed for everything else these days.

entropykid on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man I need to find and steal one of these things.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ok, I saw the one on the bridge. I thought it was put underneath the bridge, so you would only be able to see the sign from underneath. I actually saw it now and it was on the side. fricking retarded.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I know when i build a bomb to place into a major city i cover it in LEDs of neon pink and place it in plain sight.

Its the old, right in front of your face technique.

Sidenote: Please tell me adult swim is now selling these.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007
    Zampano wrote:
    Am I the only one hoping this causes some sort of groundswell, where more and more people are calling the police about "bombs"? Cause I'm hoping it would.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anyone know what kind of LEDS are those? I've never seen them that large before? I am going to make my own, ASAP.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Entropy... The sad part is, the sane people are telling everyone to -not- live in fear of their lives. It will cause a state of general poor health and anxiety. But it is just human nature to fear the boogeymen. Of course, incidents like this can be spun so many ways -- I fully expect to hear in the next couple of days how all our efforts to combat terrorism are going to waste finding hoaxes, and how they should simultaneously be improved/scaled back/refocused.

Personally, I am here on campus with 20,000 strangers. I am lucky to see faces I recognize. Do I live in fear? Hell no.. in fact, I do things here on campus that I would have been afraid to do back home, like publicly walk around with my iPod visible. Why? Because of the atmosphere...

We need to stop distrusting our neighbors. We need to start seeing the real threats, and responding to them appropriately, instead of jumping at shadows.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zampano wrote:
    I swear, I don't think I've ever seen something quite as meta-hilarious as catching Fox News last night, and seeing their big important graphic featuring an LED Irr flipping me off. I think it short circuited my brain.
    What's even more hilarious is that Fox is repeatedly taking potshots solely because it's produced by Turner.

Salvation122 on
    edited February 2007
    Machismo wrote:
    Anyone know what kind of LEDS are those? I've never seen them that large before? I am going to make my own, ASAP.

My LED flashlight uses them. They are oversized versions of the ultrabright LED's you have been seeing the last few years. Quite effective, but only when there isn't direct light around.

Athenor on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007
    Elkamil wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Am I the only one hoping this causes some sort of groundswell, where more and more people are calling the police about "bombs"? Cause I'm hoping it would.

The other day, my wife and I went to the movies. We saw some guy in a trenchcoat bring a large duffle bag into a theater, then leave a minute later. Figured it couldn't hurt to mention it to the theater staff, but I wasn't overly worried. Turned out it was just some homeless guy bringing his worldly possessions into a theater to take a nap, or something. Guess he'd just gone into the bathroom.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    America needs to find its balls and stop acting like a bunch of little girls reading scary stories.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited February 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

The other day, my wife and I went to the movies. We saw some guy in a trenchcoat bring a large duffle bag into a theater, then leave a minute later. Figured it couldn't hurt to mention it to the theater staff, but I wasn't overly worried. Turned out it was just some homeless guy bringing his worldly possessions into a theater to take a nap, or something. Guess he'd just gone into the bathroom.

There is a subtle difference between being alert and resposible (Like you were) and being some over cautious douche who can't tell the difference between a bomb and a sign.

Also, I'd pay good money to see the video of the bomb squad using a counter charge and remote detonating the sign. If adult swim has the sense of humor I hope they do, They'll run it in an ad.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Witchdr wrote:
    Also, I'd pay good money to see the video of the bomb squad using a counter charge and remote detonating the sign. If adult swim has the sense of humor I hope they do, They'll run it in an ad.

They appear to be pussying out. As has the daily show. I am saddened.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Did the Daily Show say ANYTHING about this?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Witchdr wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

There is a subtle difference between being alert and resposible (Like you were) and being some over cautious douche who can't tell the difference between a bomb and a sign.

Seconded.

TankHammer on
    edited February 2007
    Machismo wrote:

I don't believe so, since it happend last night and they tape at 1ish pm. I'm sure they'll mention it tonight though.

Witchdr on

edited February 2007
    Machismo wrote:

No, it was so odd I just checked out the ownership of Comedy Central and Cartoon Network. They don't seem to be connected.

Edit: They seriously tape that early? I thought they were like most late night shows and taped around 6ish.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited February 2007
    Witchdr wrote:

Oh, I know. I was just relating the anecdote because I thought it was interesting and somewhat topical.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

That may be the most depressing thing I've read all day. Thanks.

On a bit of a tangent, I was wondering why unattended bags are such a huge deal in airports. I mean, it's not like we're talking about on a plane, at which point an airport is no more dangerous a place to have unattended bags sitting around than many other crowded places, such as busier shopping malls. Less so, because in theory all the bags inside an airport (at least the sterile side) have gone through screening. Yet for some reason we absolute flip the fuck out about them in airports.

Is it just one of those irrational fear things?
    Athenor wrote:
    We need to stop distrusting our neighbors. We need to start seeing the real threats, and responding to them appropriately, instead of jumping at shadows.

Seriously. I mean, I know I kinda play this to death around here, but I've spent an extended period of time in a place where things routinely explode. I've actually had real reason to fear my own death, in the form of a big thing going boom not far from me. I look at what people back here at home freak out about, and I wonder what the fuck is wrong with them.

I mean, I've said it before and I'll likely say it again...terrorism is about one step up from "falling anvils" on my list of fears. And about 12,000 spots below "stupid drunken college kids driving around my town."

Of course, a government campaign to keep people scared complete with color-coded "levels of terror" probably isn't helping anything.

mcdermott on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    On a bit of a tangent, I was wondering why unattended bags are such a huge deal in airports. I mean, it's not like we're talking about on a plane, at which point an airport is no more dangerous a place to have unattended bags sitting around than many other crowded places, such as busier shopping malls. Less so, because in theory all the bags inside an airport (at least the sterile side) have gone through screening. Yet for some reason we absolute flip the fuck out about them in airports.

Because airports get bombed quite a lot? Shopping centres aren't much of a target generally.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:

Because airports get bombed quite a lot? Shopping centres aren't much of a target generally.
    umm... isreal.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I normally hate to do this sort of thing but I have a thought that everyone should hear.

After this large show of action, Boston has shown that it is very prepared against any major act of terrorism involving any sort of explosive. But someone want to attack the infastructure of the city and make life unbearable, all they would need is $20, buy the toy and use the change to phone it in. Seriously, WTF?

RoyceSraphim on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I swear, if the Daily Show or Colbert don't even mention this tonight, I'll be incredibly disappointed. Especially since, at least according to wikipedia, Fox News initially said the show was owned by Comedy Central. Unfortunately, the link they have no longer says as such, suggesting that it was a wikipedia hoax or that they since changed the official story on Fox News's website, though if the latter TDS might still have the original TV story of it.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    I don't know.

But I plan on setting my TiVo to check this show out, because I've never seen it.

Mission Accomplished.
    We can lend you the DVDs if you like it.

Do you trust me enough?

Or will you be afraid I will chew them up like an angry dog?

Or is it Frankie who has the anxiety about lending?

Or have I imagined the whole thing?

Shinto on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The whole country is laughing at Boston right now.

And the best part is that it was the moonites who did it. Fuck yeah.

but anyways, August Pollak wrote this up on the matter:
    Menino is going on TV and insisting he's going to send a 27-year old artist to jail for not breaking any law, because his police department overreacted and wasted a million dollars feeding a media frenzy and terrorizing the population of his own city. That's a cowardly act of self-preservation, and were he not threatening the life of an innocent young man it would be laughable.

Let's get a few facts straight on the Aqua Teen Hunger Force sign fiasco:

1. Attorney General Martha Coakley needs to shut up and stop using the word "hoax." There was no hoax. Hoax implies Turner Networks and the ATHF people were trying to defraud or confuse people as to what they were doing. Hoax implies they were trying to make their signs look like bombs. They weren't. They made Lite-Brite signs of a cartoon character giving the finger.

2. It bears repeating again that Turner, and especially Berdovsky, did absolutely nothing illegal. The devices were not bombs. They did not look like bombs. They were all placed in public spaces and caused no obstruction to traffic or commerce. At most, Berdovsky is guilty of littering or illegal flyering.

3. The "devices" were placed in ten cities, and have been there for over two weeks. No other city managed to freak out and commit an entire platoon of police officers to scaring their own city claiming they might be bombs. No other mayor agreed to talk to Fox News with any statement beyond "no comment" when spending the day asking if this was a "terrorist dry run."

4. There is nothing, not a single thing, remotely suggesting that Turner or the guerilla marketing firm they hired intended to cause a public disturbance. Many have claimed the signs were "like saying 'fire' in a crowded theater." Wrong. This was like taping a picture of a fire to the wall of a theater and someone freaked out and called the fire department.

5. The FCC can't pull a private cable network's license, Mayor Hyperbole McFuckwit.

geckahn on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

That may be the most depressing thing I've read all day. Thanks.

Athenor wrote:

Seriously. I mean, I know I kinda play this to death around here, but I've spent an extended period of time in a place where things routinely explode. I've actually had real reason to fear my own death, in the form of a big thing going boom not far from me. I look at what people back here at home freak out about, and I wonder what the fuck is wrong with them.

I mean, I've said it before and I'll likely say it again...terrorism is about one step up from "falling anvils" on my list of fears. And about 12,000 spots below "stupid drunken college kids driving around my town."

Of course, a government campaign to keep people scared complete with color-coded "levels of terror" probably isn't helping anything.

When I was at the airport, some douchebag guy was angry that the people in line for the plane (I was flying Southwest, so it was cattle seating) had set down their bags and sat down right next to them. He thought you should be standing to count as "in line." Anyway, he yelled at them for a bit, then went and yelled at the Southwest gate employees. They announced that unattended bags are subject to confiscation over their PA system. He then got behind me and this other guy in line, left his bag there, and went to yell at the first people some more. They guy next to me and I started yelling "HEY THERE'S AN UNATTENDED BAG HERE! OVER HERE!" at the gate people, and they came over and almost took it away before the guy came back and yelled at us. Good times.

Doc on
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    youtube link to a press conference with the dudes who got arrested cracks me the fuck up. Best way they could have handled it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ytr2Oyv4

aesir on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    that's awsome doc. Shame he yelled so loud.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    geckahn wrote:
    Boston is officially re-tah-ded.
    mcdermott wrote:

But that's the thing - if you're in the departure lounge, your bag has gone through screening. It's not a bomb. Nobody can put a bomb in it, because they too would have gone through screening.

Now, outside security before you check in, yeah, I suppose a piece of luggage just left standing somewhere could be suspicious. But I think they're more worried about when the bag is airborne - and unattended or not, it's going to be screened before going on the plane.

Andrew_Jay on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Doc wrote:
    When I was at the airport, some douchebag guy was angry that the people in line for the plane (I was flying Southwest, so it was cattle seating) had set down their bags and sat down right next to them. He thought you should be standing to count as "in line." Anyway, he yelled at them for a bit, then went and yelled at the Southwest gate employees. They announced that unattended bags are subject to confiscation over their PA system. He then got behind me and this other guy in line, left his bag there, and went to yell at the first people some more. They guy next to me and I started yelling "HEY THERE'S AN UNATTENDED BAG HERE! OVER HERE!" at the gate people, and they came over and almost took it away before the guy came back and yelled at us. Good times.
    :^:

ViolentChemistry on
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:

I believe the thought process goes that if you wanted to blow up a plane (and not be dead afterwards) it'd be great to hand around the airport with a bomb and just pop it in the first unattended bag you see.

Also they unattended bag thing is so that if they find something in your bag you've already admitted to being the one that packed and supervised it so they can blame you for anything found inside it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elkamil wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    It should be criminal (probably is) to call in frivilous reports like that. Seriously, a dolphin toy? And who would think that looks like a bomb, based on the description?

So, if you want to do a "bomb hoax", you don't even have to make any hoax devices. Just walk around until you see a pizza box laying in the street, and call it in as a "suspicious package". Not only will you cause mass panic, you will be lauded for your actions!

juice for jesus on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    geckahn wrote:

That sounds about right.

Also, I want to shake those guys hands.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:

Must be. If I saw an unattended bag at an airport, I'd be less inclined to think twice about it than at a mall, because everyone at an airport is going to have a freaking bag, and sometimes people forget shit. Not too many people in malls are lugging around suitcases, so if you see one left behind, that's two counts of unusual right there.

ElJeffe on