As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Momentous Occasions: 12/10/2008

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Graphic Violence
I've got an exam in an hour so I've only had time to read Final Crisis, but that was pretty badass.
All of the green lantern stuff, fuckin' Frankenstein all up ins, and 17.

Each issue should honestly be like three times as long as it is, though. That's my main problem with FC. It's super-compressed.

Was the monitor's costume a reference to something?

Mai-Kero on

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Phonogram.

All of it.

SO GOOD.

Sars_Boy on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. SI has a shitload of tie-ins, but at least it allowed for decompression in NA and MA.

My MotW was all of Secret Invasion: Dark Reign. As I read it it got progressively more awesome, so I thought I had a MotW when
    He introduces his "friend" to the group, who I assume is The Sentry given the framing of it on Doom's reaction
    But then there was another, and another, and ... Wow. Awesome issue. Even if the art is just awful.

Crimsondude on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. I really enjoyed the issue, but I could barely get past the art. I'm not sure what Maleev is on, but there wasn't a character in there (Except maybe Doom) that didn't have a bad looking panel.
    I really bought into how Norman convinced them (Even though it didn't look like Norman at some parts!) and I especially enjoyed Doom and Namor's exchange towards the end. Also, was that Swordsman he killed?

Edit: I'd guess my Anti-Moment of the Week, even though it's not much of a big one, would be reading What If? Fallen Son. I was expecting big things, and the issue just kind of cycled through stuff I could've guessed just for a big "surprise" that
    The Skrulls invade early with Tony dead and Uatu is all, It wasn't supposed to happen like this!

It was still okay. I'm enjoying the Runaway back up more than either of the last two What Ifs, though.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited December 2008
    I don't know if he killed him, but yeah. That was him.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2008
    Sword through the chest, then thrown off a mountain! I hate comic book deaths.

I mean, come on.

Faynor on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, Dark Reign was incredibly awesome.
    Could it actually be the sentry? That was kind of cheap, not revealing it. But oh well.

I love how every single person in the group is just incredibly awesome. And I guess the next event will be World War Doom, which is as it should be.

Norman stabbing Swordsman through the chest was great. I guess he is kind of batshit insane, though. Moreso than I previously thought.

Mai-Kero on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MotW was a toss-up between last week's issue of CRIMINAL, ACTION COMICS, and the DARK REIGN special. I'm guessing that Norman's ace is
    another Thor clone - that would both give Doom pause and keep Loki in line - the implication being, Norman can make an army of Thors

I'm probably wrong, though.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Edit: I'd guess my Anti-Moment of the Week, even though it's not much of a big one, would be reading What If? Fallen Son. I was expecting big things, and the issue just kind of cycled through stuff I could've guessed just for a big "surprise" that
    The Skrulls invade early with Tony dead and Uatu is all, It wasn't supposed to happen like this!

I wish the Runaways thing was its own issue. That was a cheap cop-out to make me plan on getting next week's issue when I couldn't care less about any Fantastic Four team. If it had been a couple pages longer I'd have loved if it ended
    "Now", post-invasion, with the last pages of SI #8, only instead of Norman calling the meeting -- It'd be Red Skull, who saved the day with his Iron Men and Kronas's mercs being badass. But Normie would be at the meeting. Maybe. But also he'd be appointed because he owned the new President. That would have made the issue worth it. So worth it.
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Norman stabbing Swordsman through the chest was great. I guess he is kind of batshit insane, though. Moreso than I previously thought.

Yeah, but I don't think that he did it for that reason. It was pretty rational. Criminal, but people have done the same thing who are very much sane.

Crimsondude on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    nope norman is bonkers

that's pretty much a constant

Sars_Boy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MotW was a toss-up between last week's issue of CRIMINAL, ACTION COMICS, and the DARK REIGN special. I'm guessing that Norman's ace is
    another Thor clone - that would both give Doom pause and keep Loki in line - the implication being, Norman can make an army of Thors

It'd be funny if it was Mephisto.

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That doesn't work though, Robos. Doom has been shown to have no fear of that character (see: STRANGE-DOOM:TRIUMPH AND TORMENT).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    Final Crisis was really good

that's all I've read so far

Garlic Bread on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Norman's crazy, not stupid. One word from Loki, and Asgard smashes him down. And, seeing as the logical progression would be cloning other Asgardians, Loki would actually work with the Aesir on this one, possibly getting some other pantheons in on the act.

Fencingsax on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Norman's crazy, not stupid. One word from Loki, and Asgard smashes him down. And, seeing as the logical progression would be cloning other Asgardians, Loki would actually work with the Aesir on this one, possibly getting some other pantheons in on the act.

Yeah, I feel like Loki would actually be kind of protective of the rest of Asgard. He wants to rule, after all, so he has a vested interest in keeping his future subjects safe.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited December 2008
    That doesn't work though, Robos. Doom has been shown to have no fear of that character (see: STRANGE-DOOM:TRIUMPH AND TORMENT).

Doom wasn't afraid of whatever was behind that door either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    It was still okay. I'm enjoying the Runaway back up more than either of the last two What Ifs, though.

When did that start, anyway? This one felt like it wasn't the beginning of the backup story, but I thought this was the first issue of the current run of what ifs.

werehippy on
    edited December 2008
    No, What If? House of M was last week.

Faynor on
    edited December 2008
    I may have to hire Munch as the artist as I write my own Red Reign ending to this What If.

You have no idea how much I'd want to see that.

Crimsondude on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    About Dark Reign.
    I think it's the Void. After Secret Invasion, I don't think anyone bothered to take a trip to Neptune and tell the Sentry that the whole thing is over and done with, and by the way, you didn't subconsciously plan everything. So, the Void is still taking the Sentry's place as a Superhero, doing what the Sentry is afraid to do. Only evil and helping Osborn.

TeaSpoon on
    edited December 2008
    I was thinking that may be, but oh god do I hate that character and not even care to remember whether that's possible or what because fuck it I know which identity seems to be active in the future.

Crimsondude on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The second story in Ghost Boxes was magnificent. The art and the writing were so depressing I could almost taste it.

muninn on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tomasi brought us yet another awesome issue of Nightwing. I can only hope that Dick ends up in the Outsiders once the writers get moved around.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    After reading Green Lantern Corps this week, I have to say that Kryb is one of the most thoroughly disturbing creatures I've come across in a long time. She needs to be killed with fire, buried, then have her grave site nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dark Reign is my MotW, although there was a part of it I didn't like...
    I wish Bendis would have had Swordsman mention his dead sister in his rants against Norman. Would have made his Thunderbolts characterization come to a head. Also not quite sure he's really dead but the next TBs issue should confirm it.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dark Reign was good but I have produced more appealing art after a trip to a Taco Bell bathroom.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited December 2008
    "Gaze ye upon it and despair."

Crimsondude on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Dark Reign was good but I have produced more appealing art after a trip to a Taco Bell bathroom.
    I just caught the shots at scans_daily. MS Paint quality stuff right there.

I'm not quite sure I get the criticism of the meeting and the players involved and how so-and-so would never say such-and-such. It lays a fairly decent foundation to roll with over the next 'event' and I'm looking forward to seeing it played out.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are you guys joking I fucking loved that art.

Mai-Kero on
    edited December 2008

Are you joking?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008

I like Chaykin and even I think that his Namor looks like crap. His Doom is okay, but only because metal is inherently featureless.

Crimsondude on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In other news, Detective Comics was a total waste of paper. It was awful. Bring Paul Dini back!

Lucascraft on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Namor looked like Phil Collins for most of Dark Reign, that was off putting.

Also I just couldn't stand it, I can't buy Norman getting that position at all so his little threats seem pointless to me, every single person in that room could ruin him a thousand times over and he has the audacity to talk to them like that, I'm can't buy it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also I just couldn't stand it, I can't buy Norman getting that position at all so his little threats seem pointless to me, every single person in that room could ruin him a thousand times over and he has the audacity to talk to them like that, I'm can't buy it.

He wasn't exactly threatening them per say, more like trying to sell his idea about the new world order he wants to create. Of course if his "friend" is who I think he is Norman can comfortably speak anyway he likes to them.
    The friend is Sentry btw. Or a Sentry/Void hybrid at least.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In other news, Detective Comics was a total waste of paper. It was awful. Bring Paul Dini back!

It was actually pretty good. The art was great and, although it goes for a cliche cliffhanger, I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Paul Dini will be back next month for a one-shot. Then it's Neil Gaiman's two-parter across Batman and Detective in February, and then I believe both books are being put on hiatus for a few months while the Battle and stuff plays out

Garlic Bread on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Final Crisis
    Re-introduction of Darkseid and defeating the anti-life equation with a rubik's cube. Lots of great art, too.

JLA was fun. I know nothing about the Milestone characters but I already like what I see.
    Hardware: (Runs into a wall of angry JLA catching their watchtower break-in attempt)
    Hardware: @#$%; me.
    Flash: Yeah, we're pretty much going to.

Lux on
    edited December 2008
    I like the guy who looks like the sky wearing a hat, because he can't possibly make any kind of sense.

001860q1

He could beat villains with the absurdity of his existence alone.

Robos A Go Go on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OH SHIT Hardware?

Oh man oh man just kill the Teen Titans and bring back all of the Milestone people seriously.

Edit: eee they totally did bring them back!

I can't even remember most of the Milestone people that well, but I read the whole run from the beginning to the bitter end as a kid. So cool. Though they all look weird without the original art.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    He could beat villains with the absurdity of his existence alone.

mr nobody would fucking love this guy

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dark Reign
    Gotta be the Void.

Action comics
    Kara's mom? Still a bitch.

Zor-El. :(

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every time Darkseid spoke it was amazing.

Bloods End on