As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are you reading CRIMINAL? (Issue #2 on sale 4/9/2008 - Maybe?)

124»

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Some Guy wrote:
    I might have missed this, but do you have a planned ending point for Criminal?
    Bru wrote:
    No. The only way it'll end is if we can't afford to keep doing it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    New good quote from whitechapel:
    The weakness I see in the Direct Market is that the people who like the best material often don't support it enough. Everyone always talks about voting with their wallets, but then you see the sales figures of some of the best non-superhero books, and they're not doing so well. If we want this market to have more genres and a wider scope, then we have to help create that market. So when a good non-superhero book hits, people have got to vote for that book. Start with SCALPED. It's my favorite Vertigo book right now, and a lot more people should be buying that thing every month. Just because it's DC doesn't mean they'll keep publishing it forever when it's losing money. The myth of trade sales keeping books alive is mostly that.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2008
    He says something very similar in the letter page of Vol 2 issue 2. Have you read it yet, CD? I'm curious as to your thoughts on the story.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    guys holy fucking shit Criminal is so good

I'm so sorry you guys

god damnit I am going to go buy all the trades and then tell everyone to buy this book

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    tell everyone to buy this book

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Whee, my LCS actually had one copy! So I bought it, oh yes.

Wildcat on
    edited April 2008
    All I can really say right now is that Teeg's story was just awesome.

It was one of the most brutal first acts of a love story I've ever read. It is just so good.

Jason Aaron's essay (which was also dead-on) tied in perfectly.

Crimsondude on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jason Aaron likes the book, guys. How many awesome writers need to give props to Criminal before everyone in here reads it? Read the goddamn book, you holdouts and trade-waiters. :x

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited April 2008
    I love how he described Chance from To Live and Die in L.A. because it's so true and so obvious, but I guess it's because Friedkin's movies are always so black and white and dumb and safe (albeit violent as fuck). But he's right: Chance, this hero Secret Service agent, was a motherfucking sociopath.

And the scary part is that the movie is based on a novel written by a former Secret Service special agent.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    I think this maybe should become a general crime comic thread to survive. Or not.

Anyway, Criminal #5. I enjoyed the backpages a lot. The story itself... It was okay.
    The Triad is going to fuck him up.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    I like what's going on here. This is clearly a situation where the author has created an alter ego for himself to be in the story.

Speaking of crime comics, I need to get around to reading 2 Guns.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, right now it's become a question of what to read first: more crime comics, or more crime novels.

And that makes the announcement of the Vertigo Crime imprint at CCI so damn frustrating, especially since there's no shortage of novels (plus stuff from Rucka, et al.) that I can and want to read.

Crimsondude on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i would read this if i could afford it

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2008
    i would read this if i could afford it
    do you buy other comics

chances are they are not as good as criminal

you know what to do

Sars_Boy on
    edited September 2008
    fear agent
    final crisis
    immortal iron fist
    maybe no hero when it comes out, i'm not sure probably

im not sure how i still have a box, since you supposedly need 5 titles to have one and i am currently getting three and shooting down every tie-in they push at me because i can't afford them

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2008
    fear agent
    final crisis
    Criminal
    maybe no hero when it comes out, i'm not sure probably

im not sure how i still have a box, since you supposedly need 5 titles to have one and i am currently getting three and shooting down every tie-in they push at me because i can't afford them
    there you go

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2008
    I was hoping this last arc would have involved him contacting his uncle since he's a proper criminal. But then as I was reading #7 I remembered that he's an idiot.

Overall it was an enjoyable story.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2008
    Like I said, Jacob is fucking crazy. The ending to the story arc was pretty fucked up.

wwtMask on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, between this book and Daredevil, Brubaker continues to raise the bar on "fucked up things that are done to characters".

I do hope we find out more about Jacob's wife at some point - it's interesting that, up until now, there's been no mention of a female Hyde.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    You should change the OP, or at least the title.

But Criminal is awesome because it's about fucked up things happening to awful people.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2008
    It won't let me edit the title anymore.

Maybe we should make a new thread for INCOGNITO, and then make a new thread for CRIMINAL once it comes back?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Okay.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2008
    Man, I spent this whole arc thinking that Jacob was on the level and was just getting fucked over due to circumstances beyond his control. I thought for sure that Frank Kafka appearing in the panels was just a symbolic representation of his voice of reason warning him. How wrong I was...

wwtMask on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, between this book and Daredevil, Brubaker continues to raise the bar on "fucked up things that are done to characters".

I do hope we find out more about Jacob's wife at some point - it's interesting that, up until now, there's been no mention of a female Hyde.

it makes sense, though, given what we've seen. the hydes have never been the main characters of any of the stories, and even when sebastian was featured in the issue about gnarly, it was before he would have had any kids.

i'm assuming we'll eventually get a godfather/sopranos mob boss arc featuring sebastian coming into power.

other crime stories i'd love to see-

jailbreak arc (hellloooo leo!)

a the sting-style long con arc

bank heist

frame-up

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Is Incognito next month? I just read somewhere that Incognito was starting in December.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2008
    It's solicited for this month. Diamond doesn't have it in next week's previews, so that means maybe the 24th. Merry Christmas.

OBTW, jkyle - make the next thread general crime comics so we can rap about Scalped and Incognito.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2008
    That's a good plan. Some might even say A Simple Plan.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »

it makes sense, though, given what we've seen. the hydes have never been the main characters of any of the stories, and even when sebastian was featured in the issue about gnarly, it was before he would have had any kids.

i'm assuming we'll eventually get a godfather/sopranos mob boss arc featuring sebastian coming into power.

other crime stories i'd love to see-

jailbreak arc (hellloooo leo!)

a the sting-style long con arc

bank heist

frame-up

Servo, I like the way you're thinking. The Sting is a great movie to rip off. Also, I think Bru said that the arc after the next Lawless arc is about Leo.
    That's a good plan. Some might even say A Simple Plan.

I see what you did there. A Simple Plan would actually be a good book to adapt into a comic.

wwtMask on
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, I spent this whole arc thinking that Jacob was on the level and was just getting fucked over due to circumstances beyond his control. I thought for sure that Frank Kafka appearing in the panels was just a symbolic representation of his voice of reason warning him. How wrong I was...

I know!! I felt exactly the same way. Then, like maybe a page before you know for sure, I was starting to think "wait a minute.." and then BAM. It was awesome. Though, I have to say I had more a of "wtf!" moment at the end of the prior issue. Regardless, SOOOO awesome.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's solicited for this month. Diamond doesn't have it in next week's previews, so that means maybe the 24th. Merry Christmas.

OBTW, jkyle - make the next thread general crime comics so we can rap about Scalped and Incognito.

My shop owner told me today that it's supposed to be in next week :rotate:

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

i have decided to do this thing now

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.