As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, the entire Ace Combat series has some of the most beautiful music! <3

Used copies of AC6 still haven't dropped below 40 in my area. It's a great game.

I'd so love a compilation of OSTs...

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fact: ACZ has the best soundtrack of all the games.

Edit: Another fact: I hate the AC6 soundtrack. It's so generic.

NickTheNewbie on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The music for the first mission in AC6 was good. The rest I honestly can't don't remember, so I'd agree on the generic part.

Zaylenz on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honestly AC6 in general seemed kinda generic. It just didn't feel nearly as epic as the previous PS2 AC games. Although I will say they did a better job at plane balance. I actually found myself using bombers for ground assault missions, since bombs seemed so much better at hitting ground targets this time around, and they got tons more ammo. Though I'm still a bit peeved that despite reducing the number of planes "to make them all stand out more," there's still the weak-ass starting planes, clearly better end-game planes, and what's more, TWO versions of the F-16. When the selection's so limited, it seems like a waste to put a variant in there. Sure the F-2's Japan's version of it, so keep that one. I'd be fine with them cutting the regular F-16 if it meant another different plane.

Dartboy on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I agree that Ace Combat Zero definitely had the best climax. Ace 5, had the best music overall, ZERO, however, is the best single track. The music in 6 was less standout than the others, but it had a few good pieces (Invasion of Gracemaria, Liberation of Gracemaria being the two I remember most).

I'd love to see an Ace Combat game set in a WWII setting with prop planes. Even better, one with only 50s/60s era planes telling the story of a conflict similar to the Six-day war (or maybe Vietnam/Korea). Ace Combat style aerial combat already resembles 40s-60s up close gun dogfighting with close range seeker missiles rather than more modern "fire missiles from miles away" fighting.

Top of the Page Bonus
    Here comes the snow!
    herecomesthesnownb5.jpg

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited December 2008
    There's some distinctly different musical styles going on in every ace combat game. 1 and 2 were all 80s rock/hair metal, 3 and X were electronica, 5 and 6 were almost purely orchestral, and 4 and Zero were some kind of crazy fuckawesome blend of all of the above.

It really all depends on your tastes in that kind of thing. When it comes to video games, I prefer the old school game music style of focusing on a melody, more than epic orchestral atmospheric stuff. Zero was a great example of a melody driven song (save the spanish guitar solo in the middle), as opposed to whatever the hell the hans zimmer ripoffs in AC6 was going for.

Comona is still one of the best songs, though :P

NickTheNewbie on
    edited December 2008
    This thread is now about ace combat music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbPNvb-T5VU

NickTheNewbie on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This thread is now about ace combat music

If you insist. Four Horsemen is one of my favorite tracks to just listen to from Ace Combat 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_099ITZl4

Zaylenz on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Sure the F-2's Japan's version of it, so keep that one. I'd be fine with them cutting the regular F-16 if it meant another different plane.

Well, to be fair, the F-2 more resembles the F-16 than being a different version of it. It's a larger aircraft.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • nonplussednonplussed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, since this thread has been resurrected and it's moved on to the music of Ace Combat, perhaps you gents could help me out. What's the name of that song that tends to reoccur in 4 and culminates a few missions before the last one where you fly in solo as Mobius 1 (ahhh, the memories) and then slowly allies start showing up around you singing this song, what's the song?

nonplussed on
    Xbox GT: namplussed
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zero was a great example of a melody driven song (save the spanish guitar solo in the middle)
    Somehow the Spanish tango works rather well for a one on one dogfight. :P

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's the picture from the top of the page from?

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zero was a great example of a melody driven song (save the spanish guitar solo in the middle)

That song and that battle right there is why I wanna buy Ace Combat 0, now that I've played the hell outta AC4. Don't get me wrong, the Yellow Squadron fights are pretty awesome... but the final battle of AC0 has got to be the most awesome final battle in an Ace Combat game.

EDIT: And Comona, which has to be my fave song from AC4. Seriously, such an awesome song and such an awesome mission.

EDIT 2: To contribute a bit more, Emancipation is another song/mission combo that stands out in my mind. On one hand fighting in the dark is pretty difficult, but on the other hand I loved the feel behind that mission, and the song went amazingly well with it.

Digito on
    edited December 2008
    What's the picture from the top of the page from?

Just some fanart I found of the final fight from Ace Combat Zero.

One of the only pieces of Ace Combat fan art I've found too. :(

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The only track I really liked in AC6 was the Gracemeria one. Specifically the one from the trailer, since it didn't make it into the game itself arranged the same way.

I've got it if anyone would like it.

Kelor on
    edited December 2008

Sorry that didn't come across well. The spanish guitar solo is totally fuckawesome and goes great with the song, it's just not the best example of the composition style I was thinking of.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited December 2008
    Also, it's a shame The Unsung War was such a great Final Battle song when it was tacked onto such a wimpy, anticlimactic final mission. That last mission in AC5 was so pointless compared to the kickass-huge battle in the previous mission, and you could barely hear the song anyway because they felt the voiceovers and sound effects needed to drown it out for some reason.

Dartboy on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd love to see an Ace Combat game set in a WWII setting with prop planes. Even better, one with only 50s/60s era planes telling the story of a conflict similar to the Six-day war (or maybe Vietnam/Korea). Ace Combat style aerial combat already resembles 40s-60s up close gun dogfighting with close range seeker missiles rather than more modern "fire missiles from miles away" fighting.

I'd love an Ace Combat game set in the late '60s, but still in the AC alternate universe. All the jets available in a glimmering, unpainted steel finish with lots of surface detail, a huge difference in handling between 'energy fighters' like the F-4 and 'angles fighters' like the MiG-21. The sky full of earth-shakingly loud, smoky turbojet engines. Old-fashioned cockpits with reflector sights and/or early HUDs, warbling tones as lock indicators, people turning into the sun to fool first-generation heatseekers.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have them all, best aspect of the series? Has anyone mentioned the trailers?
    God the trailers always make me jizz my pants.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited December 2008

I'd love an Ace Combat game set in the late '60s, but still in the AC alternate universe. All the jets available in a glimmering, unpainted steel finish with lots of surface detail, a huge difference in handling between 'energy fighters' like the F-4 and 'angles fighters' like the MiG-21. The sky full of earth-shakingly loud, smoky turbojet engines. Old-fashioned cockpits with reflector sights and/or early HUDs, warbling tones as lock indicators, people turning into the sun to fool first-generation heatseekers.

Well, thats what I meant, 60s era jets, still set in Strangereal or whatever you want to call the AC combat universe.

GalagaGalaxian on
    edited December 2008
    A lot of people are asking for the whole prop plane/vintage jet setting and I'm just not digging it. I'd much rather see the opposite. They need to remake the japanese version of AC3 for a next gen console so we can get those super awesome futuristic planes (and the other half of the game that was cut out in the american release).

NickTheNewbie on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A lot of people are asking for the whole prop plane/vintage jet setting and I'm just not digging it. I'd much rather see the opposite. They need to remake the japanese version of AC3 for a next gen console so we can get those super awesome futuristic planes (and the other half of the game that was cut out in the american release).
    Be careful what you wish for. the entire cast could legitimately be more IdolM@ster color schemed planes. ;p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited December 2008
    Be careful what you wish for. the entire cast could legitimately be more IdolM@ster color schemed planes. ;p

God help us all. Now that I think about it, the only allure of the japanese AC3 may be the whole forbidden fruit thing. It would probably be horribly emo, with dialog out of some really bad anime. Though maybe if you had a good localization team to adapt it rather than just translate it. Kind of like the original US release, except not shitty.

NickTheNewbie on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yea, the trailer for 5 played at work one day (back when I was still with Gamestop) and holy shit was it cumworthy. I pre-ordered it on the spot, then cancelled and er... re-pre-ordered when the flightstick edition was added to the system. Even with Puddle of Mudd, I loved it.

Speaking of music above...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCvlTjosBk

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited December 2008
    o_O I want an MP3 of that... (or perhaps, more appropriately, a MIDI :P)

GalagaGalaxian on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah that is damn good. An awesome rendition of one of my favorite songs from Ace Combat.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All I know about Ace Combat is that I played the first few missions of AC5 and I beat AC6 and I loved every second spent playing both these games.

I've heard countless times that ACZ is the best one of the bunch, and that Mission "Zero" Music video is just awesome to listen to, but after playing AC6, somehow, I don't think I could go back to PS2 graphics for a game like that. What I really loved about Ace Combat is how I was immersed in it, because of the music, the graphics and the dialogue (which, while cheesy and stupid, just pumps you up for fight those bastards on the other side).

Djiem on
    edited December 2008
    Seriously, go and play AC0 (and maybe 4 as well). They're among the best looking PS2 games, and the missions are still totally awesome.

Dartboy on
    edited December 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Seriously, go and play AC0 (and maybe 4 as well). They're among the best looking PS2 games, and the missions are still totally awesome.

I believe the Staples I work at used to carry copies of AC0 for like 19.99$ (and I have 10% off as employee) and I never took advantage of it. :|

Djiem on
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have never played any of the AC games, but this damn thread popping up keeps tempting me to check out AC6.

Tzen on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Staples in Canada carries video games??!

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I bought AC5 two years ago when i realized i hadnt played an arcadey flight sim since Assault Heroes on the N64. It was the first time in a while i found myself giddy while playing a game, i mean, just while flying around.

Also it really made me miss unnecesary replays in games. Did i need to have a full replay from multiple angles of the whole mission i just did? And then a top view strategical overview of my wingmens movement in the debriefing screens?
    No... But holy shit it was a cool addition.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    edited December 2008
    Staples in Canada (in Québec at least) carries computer games, but from time to time, especially during Xmas time, we receive a bunch of older games in bargain bins for a limited time. We get about 6-7 different titles in good quantity for each console, and IIRC, ACZ was one of the PS2 titles we had last winter.

Now, we also carry 360, DS and Wii games as part of our regular stock (only the major titles and Ubisoft's budget Petz/Imagine shit though).

Djiem on
    edited December 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Yea, the trailer for 5 played at work one day (back when I was still with Gamestop) and holy shit was it cumworthy. I pre-ordered it on the spot, then cancelled and er... re-pre-ordered when the flightstick edition was added to the system. Even with Puddle of Mudd, I loved it.

Speaking of music above...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCvlTjosBk

A band I was in totally played that song live at magfest last year. It was just that running on low volume with all of us playing over top of it.

NickTheNewbie on
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heh funny to see this thread. I've recently gone back to this game for a second playthrough after beating Saints Row 2. I just downed the air fortress and I'm working on that fucking trench run mission where you have to fly through the tunnels. I know it's easy, but it's also a pain in the ass.

wusoldjr on
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just finish my first playthrough in Ace combat Zero a hour ago. Damn pixy and his explosive missiles...
    I love the dogfights in this AC.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I bought AC5 two years ago when i realized i hadnt played an arcadey flight sim since Assault Heroes on the N64. It was the first time in a while i found myself giddy while playing a game, i mean, just while flying around.

Also it really made me miss unnecesary replays in games. Did i need to have a full replay from multiple angles of the whole mission i just did? And then a top view strategical overview of my wingmens movement in the debriefing screens?
    No... But holy shit it was a cool addition.

the replays aren´t useless; usually they show how many innecesary turns you did:lol:

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I just finish my first playthrough in Ace combat Zero a hour ago. Damn pixy and his explosive missiles...

Yeah the whole squadron thing was a real cool touch.

NickTheNewbie on
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh holy hell that NES chiptune version of Zero is amazing.

That's my single fave song from all Ace Combat as well, and why I absolutely MUST get AC0, but I can't find it in any stores around here.

... I wonder how much it'd cost to buy online...

EDIT: I wonder if there's some place I could download that remix of Zero from?

Digito on
  • Galcian's SonGalcian's Son Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah the whole squadron thing was a real cool touch.

I think the "system" in zero is far better than what they coughed up in 6. The Knight/Solder/Merc rating system is cool, earning new paintjobs is fun, and fighting different squadrons depending on your actions is excellent. Nobody else seemed to like the liveaction cutscenes as much as I did though. I thought they were great.

Galcian's Son on