As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Recommend me]A game like the movie Sunshine!

.Tripwire..Tripwire. FirmanRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
sunsh.jpg

I've been on a bit of a space kick lately, and after just rewatching Danny Boyle's Sunshine I feel a specific hankering. I won't mention how I think the movie fucked up with a lame final conflict (OOPS) but what I feel the film did really well was communicate the following ideas:

Isolation
Claustrophobia
Majesty of space

And this is what I'd like to experience in a game now. Most of the sci fi games I can think of take place on alien planets or are focused with shooting, which might be inevitable. But obviously if I'm dodging flak cannon rounds during a spacewalk there's probably not much time to just pause and look at the planet above me. So please recommend for me any titles you feel surpass others in incoporating the themes I listed above (even at the cost of losing scientific accuracy, like Sunshine - it's entertainment!).

Anyone remember Trees of Pangaea? I loved that, even though it was just a tech demo. When I was wandering around in their desert, I started to actually get that hopeless alone feeling, which I thought was a sweet accomplishment. Surely some similar simulation but beyond our exosphere exists as well.

Personal and technological preferences: I own a PC (capable of anything - I once asked it to define love numerically and it was all like "Fuck man, let's just go run a thousand simultaneous instances of Crysis on high settings") and DS, the latter is probably completely unhelpful in this case (though I do own Metroid Prime: Hunters). But if you know of something applicable that is console only, please feel free to mention it and I'll try to find a way to play it. I'm averse to MMOs as I'd like to pay for the software just once. Lots of bonus points to any games that deal with some sort of doomsday event.

I have a feeling Dead Space might be mentioned a lot, so be assured I'm already planning on getting it. And yes, I've played Lunar Lander, you old fart!

The short of it: Tell me a PC game that explores the juxtaposition between space being BIG and man being SMALL, where you play as the man because playing as the universe would be silly (actually no, that would be awesome, recommend that game too).

If no games like I've described exist, I have a follow up request: make them for me! Ok cool thanx.

sunpeek.jpg

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
.Tripwire. on

• FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    System Shock 2 really gives you a feeling of total isolation and everything else being bigger and meaner than you, but it's mostly a survival horror game with a few glimpses into space.

Freelancer would be a good suggestion, but the last you tend to feel is isolated.

EVE Online is an MMO but dear god fuck does it ever have some pretty-ass space.

There is a disturbing lack of games that actually involve space.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I loved Sunshine, and agree about the shortcomings of the ending, but I can't really think of too many games that really evoke what the film did. However, Dead Space has given me plenty of "reminder" moments thus far.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
    edited December 2008
    I do think Dead Space is the closest thing to what you want.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    You want Homeworld.

The first one, it's got some years on it's back but it's still one of the greatest games ever made.

Even though it's an RTS you do feel the littleness of man and greatness of space every minute, the isolation is very much there as well. It's not just a "build more troops" game either as the resources in the game are finite.

I had to pay close attention from the first level to make it through alive.

The story and general atmosphere is spot on fantastic as well.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked Mass Effect. A lot. The flavor text for the planets and such was all really interesting. I don't think it really evokes the feelings of isolation and claustrophobia, but I think it does show the majesty of SPAAAAAAAAAACE

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll second Dead Space. I got a very "Sunshine" vibe from parts of it, in a very good way.

edit: I see you actually mentioned Dead Space in the OP, so I'll be a bit more helpful and give a bit of a nod to System Shock 2. I can't really add anything to what's already been said - it's not so much about the majesty of space, but if a sci-fi setting is enough to get you past that, the feeling of isolation is definitely there.

Dayvan Cowboy on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dead m'fin space.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »
    System Shock 2 really gives you a feeling of total isolation and everything else being bigger and meaner than you, but it's mostly a survival horror game with a few glimpses into space.

Yeah System Shock 2 sounds like your best bet, although it doesn't really feature exploration of space as such, you're pretty much alone on a spaceship with unpleasant things and depressingly limited ammo and capabilities.

Stalker and Fallout 3 gave me a good atmospher of desolation and isolation (when you're away from the inhabited settlements), but those are "post-apocalypse" style games as opposed to space sci-fi.

subedii on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm having a hard time thinking of any good examples (there really aren't many games of this type, sadly), but I'll just throw The Dig in there, even though most of it is set on a planet. It does feature a lot of isolation and it, at least, successfully portrays the majesty of an alien environment. It also has some of the same themes as Sunshine.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Play Noctis.

rayofash on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Metroid Prime

edit: shit, sorry, just read that you need basically a PC game..

Hm.

slash000 on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honk wrote: »
    You want Homeworld.

The first one, it's got some years on it's back but it's still one of the greatest games ever made.

Even though it's an RTS you do feel the littleness of man and greatness of space every minute, the isolation is very much there as well. It's not just a "build more troops" game either as the resources in the game are finite.

I had to pay close attention from the first level to make it through alive.

The story and general atmosphere is spot on fantastic as well.

This. You want Homeworld, badly. If you haven't replayed it in the past couple years, play it again, you'll be surprised at how beautiful it is for its age. If you've just plain never played it, what is wrong with you.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked Mass Effect. A lot. The flavor text for the planets and such was all really interesting. I don't think it really evokes the feelings of isolation and claustrophobia, but I think it does show the majesty of SPAAAAAAAAAACE

o_O The only thing Mass Effect evoked in me was a distinct need to replay Kotor 2.

The portions of Dead Space outside the ship are done really really well. The way the sound dies while in a vacuum and the way you move in zero G is damn well done.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the buttloadofshit-load of suggestions, friends! I look forward to trying these games, or at the least, trying to track them down. Also thanks for reminding me that I'm a bad video game person for never having played the System Shock series yet. Asses.

Ok and I also never played Homeworld, but I do own the sequel. But I haven't played that yet either. I have this disease that compels me to buy every game I see and then just assume I'll get around to playing them all when I retire in forty-five years.

.Tripwire. on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I second Dead Space.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Thanks for the buttloadofshit-load of suggestions, friends! I look forward to trying these games, or at the least, trying to track them down. Also thanks for reminding me that I'm a bad video game person for never having played the System Shock series yet. Asses.

Ok and I also never played Homeworld, but I do own the sequel. But I haven't played that yet either. I have this disease that compels me to buy every game I see and then just assume I'll get around to playing them all when I retire in forty-five years.

Begin operation: "getting around to it"!! :P
    Be sure to pick up and play Homeworld before doing Homeworld 2, I cannot stress this enough!
    I cried to that game! So immersive and moving!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's like you are specifically asking us to say Dead Space.

The_Scarab on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

Homeworld 2 has probably tainted your perception of the original game just through its existence - not because it's bad (though it kinda is) but because you've probably picked up on a bit of the first game's plot. Basically you should forget about the sequel, acquire the first game through any means possible, and play it in the dark with the sound up.

(Counter-intuitively, a lower resolution (640x480 or so) is probably more impressive than a high one, because the textures won't stick out like a sore thumb.)

Also the manual is full of some awesome, really well-written history fluff which dovetails with the first few missions so nicely if you read it first - but not everyone is a nut for that kind of thing like I am.

All this aside, I can basically assure you that Homeworld's skyboxes alone will fill your jaded, empty heart with the majesty of space.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's probably worth thinking about Alpha Centauri.

LewieP on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know what the hell is wrong with people who dislike the second act of Sunshine

It was executed very well and people who say it was like Event Horizon are retarded

Event Horizon was spectacularly goofy and Sunshine was anything but

Also you are describing Dead Space pretty much, and you should probably play Mass Effect too because everyone should play Mass Effect

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe an X3 game? You could always try EVE Online.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I don't know what the hell is wrong with people who dislike the second act of Sunshine

It was executed very well and people who say it was like Event Horizon are retarded

Also you are describing Dead Space pretty much, and you should probably play Mass Effect too because everyone should play Mass Effect

Never seen Event Horizon, but
    My problem wasn't even really with Pinbacker harassing the Icarus missions. It was just the climax and scenes surrounding, where we spent the whole movie sharing the crew's awe at the significance of what they were doing and now we were suddenly amidst the ship's plunge into the sun (pl"sun"ge!) while the surviving characters Super Mario Galaxy'd around on a cube for a last second save, cheapening most of the build up. I felt like it was added to create suspense for the audience, but did the precise opposite by just pacing itself like any other action film climax.

The whole movie was pretty unconventional. I mean, we never left the ship, so it was claustrophobic, and when we did it was to return to Earth to indicate the mission's success. That's where the powerful conclusion lies, and I would have rather not seen their solar descent at all. The climax should have just been fighting to survive against Pinbacker and ultimately destroying or quarantining him, while the wounded crew remainder pushed the mission forward.

Then we could have just spent some time with his family, after they watch his message home (which shouldn't have been the second before they see the sun rejuvenated anyways). The audience would feel the displacement after having been aboard the Icarus 2 the whole film, and wonder what the fuck is going on, just like earth population's been for years. And then after a tense while, we see what the characters on earth see, and the sun flares up to its proper magnificence. Fuck, that is the beauty of the story right there. The planet is saved and the family is going to wait for their loved one's return indefinitely, while those of us watching know what shit really went down.

The whole movie managed to be intense while moving slowly and remaining dark (when shielded from the sun). I see no reason why it had to become some disorienting, frenetic "OH SHIT WE GOTTA DEFEAT THIS MONSTER OR THE WORLD IS DOOMED" thing at the end. The situation was dire enough, and in a much more sophisticated way.

So that's why I say the ending sucked scrotum. Just felt like such a wasteful counteraction to the rest of the film, which I thought was great.

So researching some of the titles I've heard here somehow led me to a page reminding me about Starship Titanic. Jesus, where the hell did that game go? I remember seeing a CGW ad for it and then never hearing about it again until now.

Steam needs to kick its butt into hyperdrive to get all these old games I've missed available.

.Tripwire. on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

o_O The only thing Mass Effect evoked in me was a distinct need to replay Kotor 2.
    Himotherfucking5.

I feel like mentioning Dead Space. Have we mentioned Dead Space yet? I think the game he is looking for is Dead Space.

Monger on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

I didn't feel that it wasn't executed well, it just felt kind of unnecessary. And for the record, I like Event Horizon too.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This thread is in desperate need of some oldschool space games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ku5G4ovnUU

This game has probably billions of planets and you can land on any one of them.

Better hope you have enough power to escape the gravity though, it has Newtonian physics as well.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I could never get the hang of that game. I'd fly out into space and within seconds a laser would come out of nowhere and blow up my ship in a single hit.

rayofash on
    edited December 2008
    I can't believe I forgot about Echo Night. This might be what you want, but I haven't actually played it.

Moonghosts.

It takes place on the MOON. It's also a PS2 game.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    rayofash wrote: »
    I could never get the hang of that game. I'd fly out into space and within seconds a laser would come out of nowhere and blow up my ship in a single hit.

Well Newtonian physics is no joke so this game is by no means easy. Also, did you have jjffe, the fan patched version? This game was fairly buggy at release.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Escape Velocity Nova!

An awesome 2D space action/adventure/simulation game. A huge universe to explore, interact with, and conquer.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Freelancer is the obvious choice. You won't regret it, especially since it's free if you sign up for Goozex.

Since I've just done you a huge favor here (hehe), you can repay me by using my referal link when you inevitably decide to sign up:

Then come on over to the PA Goozex thread to share your awesome experiences!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=63398

Chalkbot on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

But also Homeworld.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Visti wrote: »

But also Homeworld.

I'll concede that point. Both are fantastic and should be required playing for children and the elderly.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png