As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Status Quo

Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong LoveRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Graphic Violence
Man, after reading Secret Invasion I got to thinking about how the changes made after Civil War. Aside from The Initiative, the titles that came after didn't really swim around in that new realm of possibility that came with it.

Maybe it's creative differences, or perhaps the flow of the industry that dictated what came about in Secret Invasion.

Publisher to publisher, things seem different. Fuck if I know what Image has going on in its respective universes. From what I gather, Robert Kirkman is sorta propelling things with his "Kirkverse". Spawn and the like, I ain't got a clue.

A wise man once said that "It is the bitches, that are the most adverse to change."

What are some of your favorite changes to characters or teams? In the direction of a book, or a publisher? Of the status quo?

One of my favorite changes within Marvel as a publisher was the creation of the Ultimate Universe imprint.

I mean, remember when Ultimate X-Men was good, son?

How about you?

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
Calamity Jane on

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Xforce116.jpg

Not only was it a dramatic departure for the X-Force book, but it was also an incisive examination of celebrity and the superhero genre.

Something similar happened with New Warriors some years afterwards, but then they got blown up and we went back to no longer having any reality tv superhero teams.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Right now, the newest team I want to see more of is the Mighty Avengers.

It apparently has a Hank Pym iteration I won't hate because that other douche doesn't count!

Sweet!

I also desire to learn more about what comes after Batman R.I.P. !

I mean, crap...what was that all about?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know why, but I loved the post-Galactic Storm (NYC) Avengers team. The new Mighty roster reminds me of them, so that is going to be awesome.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2008
    I don't know why, but I loved the post-Galactic Storm (NYC) Avengers team. The new Mighty roster reminds me of them, so that is going to be awesome.

I don't know what that is.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008
    Thank you for making me feel old.

The roster then was, IIRC, Vision, Crystal, Black Knight, Hercules, Goliath (Clint).

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2008
    Who was the leader? Vision?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There was a time when I had hopes that Final Crisis would change DC's status quo

it's pretty easy to see that's not going to happen now

Marvel's Universe never seems to stay the same long enough for people to actually tell stories about it

Tony Stark was director of shield for like what 8 months?

Sars_Boy on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There was a time when I had hopes that Final Crisis would change DC's status quo

Marvel's Universe never seems to stay the same long enough for people to actually tell stories about it

In real time Tony was director for one year and nine months give or take. Comics time, especially Bendis time? Probably less than a year.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited December 2008
    Considering the fact that Tony Stark: Director of SHIELD had cameos in pretty much every book in mainstream continuity, I think the idea was more than used to its fullest potential.

Robos A Go Go on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yea, marvel has seen to be jumping from big storyline to big storyline for the last few years. Probably the biggest example for me was Spider-Man's stark built costume and the reveal of his identity. I know it's been said before, but the writers and Quesada claimed that this was going to open a wealth of storylines, and I can't really recall anything big coming out of it.

Well, I guess you can attribute Brand New Day to it?

noir_blood on
    edited December 2008
    Who was the leader? Vision?

The pre-Operation: Galactic Storm roster was Black Knight, Sersi, Crystal, Quicksilver, Hercules and the Vision according to Wikipedia (which is correct as my memory recalls). I don't ever recall there being a "leader" per se. But BK and Herc were bestest buds.

This site lists the roster I last read for many years as Black Knight III, Crystal, Hercules, Sersi, Vision. Thor II (with the beard) and Black Widow left before the last 3-issue arc. I wrote an essay for English class (kind of freeform nonsense we had to write) bitching about why BK was stabbed in the chest (this is when he had basically a light saber) but didn't die.

Ah... Memories. Anyway, what was I saying?
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Yea, marvel has seen to be jumping from big storyline to big storyline for the last few years. Probably the biggest example for me was Spider-Man's stark built costume and the reveal of his identity. I know it's been said before, but the writers and Quesada claimed that this was going to open a wealth of storylines, and I can't really recall anything big coming out of it.

Well, I guess you can attribute Brand New Day to it?

Scarlet Spider clones in the Shadow Initiative.

Hm... I wonder who's going to control them, if anyone.

Crimsondude on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »

In real time Tony was director for one year and nine months give or take. Comics time, especially Bendis time? Probably less than a year.
    yeah i'm talking comic time

real world time doesn't mean shit anymore when every story is a six issue arc

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2008
    Then this will blow your minds.

Newsarama with Jim McCann on NA: Reunion:
    NRAMA: With a wink and nod to comic book "time" how long has Bobbi been gone?

Jim McCann: I place it at about 3 years.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What year was Mockingbird official killed?

Edit: Never mind, just checked. 1993. Wow.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    obviously, i would pick this-
    6newxmenaq4.jpg

i would also submit
    Justice_League_1_DC_1987.jpg

a good time was had by all.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And within 3 weeks of the end of NXM everything reverted back to what it once was again, except for Jean and cat Beast.

Bloods End on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    but it was a great ride while it lasted

edit- that's not really true anyways. that series was the groundwork for cyclops and emma as they are today (leading the x-men together), and the concept of a thriving "out" mutant subculture was introduced into the marvel universe (which is now gone for unrelated reasons but could return). for example

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    the ed brubaker years of captain america

basically turned that guy into the solid snake of the marvel universe

52, that book made me care about characters i'd of never invested time in otherwise

i want to learn a lot more about black adam and booster gold, and the justice society

i traded comics with TLB so i could read morrison's Animal Man and was in no way disappointed

Calamity Jane on
    edited December 2008
    I really admire people who can take a book where the status quo as been upended, and make it work without changing everything back and undoing all the changes. Whedon's run on AXM was a perfect example on how someone could build on something from the after effects of a run of huge changes.

Bloods End on
    edited December 2008
    it worked, considering that he (TO AN EXTENT) ignored a lot of events and simply focused on characters and telling a good story

Calamity Jane on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    peter david's current run on x-factor is the best example of guiding characters through a mass of events in a logical and interesting way

seriously, he's tied in to just about every major marvel event and the story hasn't really suffered

also, it was the best post-house of m series because it actually dealt with the fallout in an extremely interesting manner

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. I think House of M was regulated to one throwaway line and then ignored.

Bloods End on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know what really shook things up in most excellent fashion?
    aattack1coverl.jpg

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited December 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

well, that's not really true, it's just that x-factor was the one good thing that immediately spun out of house of M, the rest of the x-books kind of had a delay before they started telling good stories about the aftermath

and I don't know if generation m was the first comic to feature sally floyd, but it was terrible either way

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2008

well, that's not really true, it's just that x-factor was the one good thing that immediately spun out of house of M, the rest of the x-books kind of had a delay before they started telling good stories about the aftermath

and I don't know if generation m was the first comic to feature sally floyd, but it was terrible either way

I meant for Astonishing X-Men.

Bloods End on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My favorite change to the status quo is what they did with Riddler in the OYL Batman stuff. Specifically what Paul Dini did with him in Detective Comics. Riddler as a rival detective to Batman is a really cool change to the character. It made for some interesting issues, and it was a refreshing take on Edward Nigma.

Lucascraft on
  • ThorionThorion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    My favorite change to the status quo is World War Hulk.

Yeah, yeah, bad joke, I know.

Seriously, I think Morrison's JLA is far and away the best change to the then-status quo I've ever seen.

Thorion on
    Wanted for failure to pay
    edited December 2008

I meant for Astonishing X-Men.

oh right, carry on

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2008
    I thoughty Kitty coming back and a bunch of the first arc was all because of House of M.

Crimsondude on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While I guess I never really noticed the whole lack of mutants reacting to HoM thing, even though I can see it happened, it really pisses me off that it was never addressed (as far as I know) between Peter and Mary Jane that Peter's biggest dream is to be married Gwen Stacy.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited December 2008
    I thoughty Kitty coming back and a bunch of the first arc was all because of House of M.

Nope, that was all pre-House of M

DJ Eebs on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    What are some of your favorite changes to characters or teams? In the direction of a book, or a publisher? Of the status quo?
    26394977044.19.gif

From really lame X-Men ripoff to Dadaist masterpiece in like thirty pages!

And of course the classic example of the change par excellance:
    05815547774.16.gif

"THE OLD ORDER CHANGETH!"

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2008
    Doom Patrol wasn't an X-Men ripoff, as far as I know. It debuted before X-Men.

Also, from what I've read of their early issues through the first Doom Patrol Archive Edition and reprints of early X-Men, Doom Patrol was better from the start.

But in any case, Morrison's reinvention of the team was brilliant.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    While I guess I never really noticed the whole lack of mutants reacting to HoM thing, even though I can see it happened, it really pisses me off that it was never addressed (as far as I know) between Peter and Mary Jane that Peter's biggest dream is to be married Gwen Stacy.

I don't think there would've ever been a good time for Peter to tell MJ that.

Scooter on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ben Reilly was a great status quo (especially once Peter came back and it looked like we'd have 2 Spider-Men for a while) and then poof... No Ben, no Phil Urich, no more fun.

Actually that's not true. The first arcs of Norman's return and his becoming a media darling were excellent. When they brought back Aunt May is when the fun stopped.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Ben Reilly was a great status quo (especially once Peter came back and it looked like we'd have 2 Spider-Men for a while) and then poof... No Ben, no Phil Urich, no more fun.

Actually that's not true. The first arcs of Norman's return and his becoming a media darling were excellent. When they brought back Aunt May is when the fun stopped.
    Aunt May finds a way to ruin everything.

Edit: Oh shit.
    She's Norman's "friend" in Dark Reign.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Doom Patrol wasn't an X-Men ripoff, as far as I know. It debuted before X-Men.

Also, from what I've read of their early issues through the first Doom Patrol Archive Edition and reprints of early X-Men, Doom Patrol was better from the start.

But in any case, Morrison's reinvention of the team was brilliant.

I should have clarified: the Kupperberg relaunch was an X-Men ripoff. It was done in the vein of that whole 80s-90s angsty strike force thing, and badly.

On the other hand issue 3 did feature a battle inside my favorite hometown shopping mall.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2008
    Iroh wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

Aunt May finds a way to ruin everything.

Edit: Oh shit.
    She's Norman's "friend" in Dark Reign.

it would explain a lot

the biggest villain spider-man has ever had is aunt may

look at every crossroads spidey comes to

she is always the determining factor in the change of his status quo, and in no way has ever been endearing enough for it to matter each time aside from the classic "spidey is lifting shit off his back" scene

Calamity Jane on
    edited December 2008
    seriously

i don't say it in jest

you want a change to pete that'd be for the better?

aunt may biting the big one

he is basically an emotional cripple because of her

Calamity Jane on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seriously. He'd be way better off if she's gone for good.

Antimatter on