As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you have never read Marvel Boy, you should read it. It is a great.

DouglasDanger on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    there was a spider-man what if recently where he became a secret agent, or something like that, and teamed up with wolverine I think

What If? Spider-Man vs. Wolverine. Came out last year. Spidey was wearing the version (or one similar) Alex Ross designed. And, yeah, he uses his webshooters a bunch with the new costume. At the end he makes like he's going to web up a guy, but instead shoots him in the face.

It's espionage. Adhering to morals and ethics will get you killed.

I think you might have confused 24 with good fiction. Morals and ethics are all that distinguish you from the bad guys.

24 is a piece of shit.

Crimsondude on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My point was a joke about 24 and its torture-ethics, not to actually mean you liked the show (which is an abomination, on that point we agree).

Though, you know what character would get a red ring?

mattharvest on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    how about, in Checkmate, where Amanda Waller:
    tried to hostile takeover Checkmate from within after the US was forced to turn Checkmate over to the UN (due to the M.L. and Brother I debacle) by forcing out the rest of the leadership on a bullshit pretext that SHE was the one guilty of.

Yeah, she can choke on a cock.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    She sounds like she works for the CIA.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    CIA is too tame for Waller. She ran the Suicide Squad.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    Amanda Waller isn't a villain. She wants what's best for America, not herself. She'll do anything for her country. She's a patriot.

She's similar to Luthor when Luthor is written well (as a guy that wants the best for humanity and sees all these aliens as stunting human potential) instead of just "I WANT TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD"

Garlic Bread on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No... She wants what SHE thinks is best for America, not what anyone else thinks is best.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dr. Doom for America if you will.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited December 2008
    Patriot and villain are not mutually exclusive.

Edit: She will cross any line for her country. History has show us that this is not OK.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    No... She wants what SHE thinks is best for America, not what anyone else thinks is best.

No, she has superiors she answers to.

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Amanda Waller isn't a villain. She wants what's best for America, not herself. She'll do anything for her country. She's a patriot.

She's similar to Luthor when Luthor is written well (as a guy that wants the best for humanity and sees all these aliens as stunting human potential) instead of just "I WANT TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD"

I don't know what definition of villain you're operating on, but for most of us, villain is more about what you want, not why you want it.

Generally, I think of a villain as any person who is the moral wrongdoer in a story. Given that Waller has shown - consistently and uniformly - that she believes herself to be above anyone else's moral code or authority, and that she knows what's best for everyone else - that qualifies her as a villain for me.

mattharvest on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I always have mixed feelings on the Wall. On the one hand, I think she's a wonderfully complex, well-developed character that's a lot of fun to read about. On the other hand, I hate her personality, demeanor, and actions, and constantly hope for someone to come around and scissor kick her in the teeth.

Though I still love this issue.

Munch on
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I want to find the title of a comic that I read once, maybe someone here can help me.

So a while ago I found a comic I really liked, I read a few pages online and wanted more. I ended up buying a couple issues and enjoyed them (as you do with comics). Today I thought of it for some reason and I want to know if there are any other issues.

I have no idea when it came out, within the last 2 years for sure. The storyline basically played out like this:

A couple kids are goofing off in a store at night when they hear a wierd sound on the roof, they go up to the roof to find a girl they think is dead. It turns out that she is not dead and for some reason has lost her memory.

Shortly after waking up the store is attacked by some kind of monster/alien. I cant really remember much more about the plot, and I probably haven't said much to indicate what I am talking about but the most significant part I remember about the story is it played out like a video game. When people got hit by the monsters a negative red number would show up by them indicating how much 'hp' they had lost. and when enemies died they would just disappear.

Everything they did played out like a turn-based rpg game with random encounters and everything.

Of course I am a bit sketchy on the details and if you have no idea what I am talking about I understand. I am hoping one person out there somewhere knows what I am talking about.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    all this Amanda Waller talk make me depressed the Suicide Squad Showcase will never come out.

and that there is no Suicide Squad ongoing.

god I love The Suicide Squad.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    all this Amanda Waller talk make me depressed the Suicide Squad Showcase will never come out.

and that there is no Suicide Squad ongoing.

god I love The Suicide Squad.
    I always confuse Suicide Squad and Secret Six.

Fencingsax on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Given that Waller has shown - consistently and uniformly - that she believes herself to be above anyone else's moral code or authority, and that she knows what's best for everyone else - that qualifies her as a villain for me.

that's pretty much what, say, batman does too y'know

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Except that Batman doesn't, you know, kill (or condone killing).

I also couldn't tell you the last time he totally framed someone. I will concede that he might have if the guy actually did something fucked up and Batman couldn't get court-worthy evidence, but I can't cite examples of this actually happening.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    Given that Waller has shown - consistently and uniformly - that she believes herself to be above anyone else's moral code or authority, and that she knows what's best for everyone else - that qualifies her as a villain for me.

that's pretty much what, say, batman does too y'know

Well, besides the already-mentioned refusal of Batman to kill or torture (i.e. to violate the rights of the criminals), I'll throw it out there that I've posted quite a bit in the past (see the SHRA discussions) about how I feel about the morality of vigilantism. I'll put it simply: vigilantes are bad guys, but comics are hell-bent on portraying them otherwise.

That's fine: I can enjoy stories about vigilantes just fine without thinking they're moral supermen.

That said, there's a massive gap between someone like Batman (much less Superman) and someone like Amanda Waller.

mattharvest on
    edited December 2008
    i would think that actually depends on your definition of "torture" since batman has no problem totally crippling people for life in extremely painful ways.

not to mention the laughability of claiming that batman somehow doesn't violate people's rights when he leaps on them in the middle of the night and pounds their heads in.

but really, though, you're right- there is a massive gap between batman and waller. it's the fact that waller has official government support.

look, all you said is that waller "believes herself to be above anyone else's moral code or authority, and that she knows what's best for everyone else" and all i'm saying is that alone hardly makes her unique in the superhero community.

edit- or unique among politicians, for that matter

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i would think that actually depends on your definition of "torture" since batman has no problem totally crippling people for life in extremely painful ways.

not to mention the laughability of claiming that batman somehow doesn't violate people's rights when he leaps on them in the middle of the night and pounds their heads in.

I'd also like to point out that All-Star Batman douses street thugs in bleach and sets them on fire. And blows up cop cars. And shouts EAT GLASS, LAWMAN while ramming his boot through a policecar's windscreen and into said lawman's face.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited December 2008
    All Star Batman is Sin City Batman, so I don't think anything he does is relevant to regular DCU Batman.

DouglasDanger on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A buddy of mine lent me the hardcover All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder. I made it through two issues... It really doesn't feel like batman. I know it's a prequal to TDKReturns, but I figured Batman would have gone Crazy in the future in Robins absence.

I like my batman to be a little crazy, but more like obsessive about his mission, avoiding everything else all together, but I still like him to be quiet and reserved, not telling Robin "Are you retarted son? I'm the god-damned batman".

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited December 2008
    Did Gyakushu Vol 2 actually come out? I ordered it back in the summer and never received it.
    Does anyone know anything about the next volume of Amazing Joy Buzzards?

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    A buddy of mine lent me the hardcover All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder. I made it through two issues... It really doesn't feel like batman. I know it's a prequal to TDKReturns, but I figured Batman would have gone Crazy in the future in Robins absence.

I like my batman to be a little crazy, but more like obsessive about his mission, avoiding everything else all together, but I still like him to be quiet and reserved, not telling Robin "Are you retarted son? I'm the god-damned batman".

retarded

Garlic Bread on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    all this Amanda Waller talk make me depressed the Suicide Squad Showcase will never come out

wait, why is that not happening?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    all this Amanda Waller talk make me depressed the Suicide Squad Showcase will never come out

wait, why is that not happening?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showcase_Presents#Possible_reprint_exceptions

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited December 2008
    but really, though, you're right- there is a massive gap between batman and waller. it's the fact that waller has official government support.

If you think that is the bulk of the difference, I think you are wrong.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2008

If you think that is the bulk of the difference, I think you are wrong.

thanks for making this an engaging debate by enumerating why you might think that.

alright, let's think about it like this- in america, we have had some small trouble with terrorists. now, some may have noticed that this has affected our foreign policy somewhat in that we have gone completely bonkers, from the top down as it were.

now imagine living in an america where al-qaeda is like the most mundane, run-of-the-mill, boring-ass terror organization in the world. there's crazy snake-god doom cults, card-themed supermadmen for hire, a alien spacegod technology-powered crime syndicate, russian rocket-men clad in impenetrable armor, not to mention all the jumped-up human atom bombs running around killing for fun and profit on their own. and let's certainly not forget about all of these pajama-wearing maniacs who think it's just a-ok for them to run around at night and beat the shit out of american citizens without bothering with pesky things like due process or trial by jury.

(incidentally, here i think is an important point. we the readers have seen countless thousands of examples that prove that superman is a just and benevolent being, that batman never makes mistakes, that when it comes down to the crunch time the flash will always pull through. regular dc citizens don't have the advantage of peering into superman's head and hearing his thoughts every time he battles darkseid. this is basically the shra argument again, but on a smaller scale, since we're only defending the viewpoint of one person)

of course, those are only the earth-based threats. domestic threats, if you will. there's a whole goddamn universe out there that regularly tries to eat our lunch.

now, keeping that in mind, put yourself in amanda waller's shoes (not literally. she may well have smaller feet than yours and isn't real anyway). you're charged with keeping your country safe. you believe it deserves to be safe. you work for the highest authority in the land and yes, maybe you've had to make some tough calls and maybe they weren't always the most white-washed decisions, but you've done your job to the best of your ability and you know in your heart you've made the world a safer place.

i think perhaps you've misunderstood my initial point about waller having government support. that doesn't automatically make all her decisions correct and just. what it makes her is accountable. if batman fucks up disarming a bomb and a bunch of schoolkids die, what happens to him really? oh sure he beats himself up about it for a while probably, but eventually it's just back to wayne manor for a dip in the pool and some extra caviar to keep the spirits up. if waller fucked up something like that, her ass is on the line because it's her job.

now, all that said, do i agree with all her decisions? absolutely not. has she played her cards so close that sometimes nobody else knows what her plans are? certainly. has she made questionable calls based solely on her own judgement that have had massive and deadly ramifications? most definitely.

you know who else did all those things? batman. remember OMACs? remember the time that damn ras al ghul got his paws on batmans secret plans to murder all his friends? batman made some bad calls and all his widdle fwends got mad for a while and then got over it.

waller fucked up in checkmate and got shitcanned.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So... I just read Gaiman's Eternals, and it was extremely awesome. Is anyone reading the new Eternals series?

If the new series is following on from Gaiman's and the writing holds up I'll definitely be picking it up in trade. I've decided against going back and getting the old Eternals stuff though, the more (really) old comics I read the harder it is for me to enjoy them.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited December 2008
    aw geeze my fuckin essay got bop'd thanks a lot virral

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    A pleasure as always Servo!

Can't you like... wave your magic mod-wand and fix it?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Batman didn't have anything to do with the Omacs.
    That was Brother I ( after being stolen and warped by Lords.) and Lords himself, who also by the way,
    brainwashed Superman.

Edit: I have been busy all evening, and now I have to sleep. I will address your other points later.

Edit edit: I am taking this to a new thread.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    no they are still pretty much his fault

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    look I think the point everyone is trying to make is suicide squad owns suckas

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Geebs said in that quite short lived thread that we should keep it here. This was the reply I was typing when it got locked:

Fine, damnit. Sleep is for the weak. Cutting down your post to its primary point, Servo: Someone held Waller accountable. This is only partially true. Waller wasn't fired over her methods. She was fired because she:

A: Failed.
    B: Got caught failing.
    C: Made the U.S. look like a bunch of petulant ass-monkeys in the process of failing.

Failing doesn't make Waller a villain. Her belief in the superiority of the U.S. doesn't make her a villain. Her deep concern for the well being of American citizens doesn't make her a villain. Her actions and her methods make her a villain, in that she will lie to anyone, cheat anyone, steal from anyone, and indeed kill anyone to get her way. The only thing that keeps her in check is:

A: The possibility of getting caught.
    B: The possibility of displeasing the person who can deprive her of a sweet paycheck and the ability of ordering more death squads.

Tell me, if the administration changed hands and Amanda Waller was recommended to the attention of the Justice Department for war crimes, do you think she would she allow herself to stand a fair trial? OR would she employ ruthless tactics to get herself off the hook. Knowing what you know about Amanda Waller, what do you think she would do?

How about if a country the U.S. had extradition treaties with demanded her to stand trial in their country for black ops conducted in their country?

Would Amanda Waller's patriotism and heroic nature allow her to take responsibility for her actions, or not?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2008
    well, i said that she got shitcanned because she fucked up, not because of her methods so...i guess i have no reply to the first part.

as to the second part, i highly doubt she'd take major lethal action against u.s. agents, targets, or interests, but probably she'd slip away underground someplace rather than stand trial, if she could.

just like, say, nick fury did.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I don't see how any of this nattering answers my very important Eternals question...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Waller and Wayne should make a baby.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited December 2008
    o_BBPic.jpg

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg