As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bomb hoax in Boston--Marketing campaign

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    I will not talk with someone who says the gov't actively orchistrates activities to put the US citizens into fear. I'm not saying they don't -do- such activities, as this Boston thing illustrates. But pre-meditation is off the table, at least for me.

I don't know if you'd count this as "orchestrating activities," but there's no damn way the "Terror Alert Level" is actually meant as a tool to inform and protect the populace.
    As for the Passport measures? They've been trying to get that enacted for DECADES. and personally, I'm happy. Why? Because before now, I needed to carry a Birth Certificate with me to go into Canada.. and that's a hassle.

Huh? You're from the US? A valid US passport has always been good enough...you've always had the option of a passport instead of a birth certificate. All they've done is take away the latter option, not add the former.

Also, a birth certificate was never technically needed, anyway. I crossed from the US to Canada and back without one. They grilled me for all of about 48 seconds, then sent me on my way. This was post-9/11, too (2003). And by air.

mcdermott on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Actually until the recent changes you could go back and forth from the US and Canada with an american drivers liscene for cryin out loud

nexuscrawler on
  • Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

O GOD

I LOVE THESE GUYS

My favorite part is how indignant the reporters are: "We're doing an important job here! You're making us look foolish, and we're trying super hard to get to the bottom of this ultra-serious Lite Brite scandal. Take us seriously! C'mon you guys..." *pouts*

Spaten Optimator on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, I travelled through Canada to cut quickly across Ohio just last August. I know you can do it without the birth certificate or passport. I'm just saying that mandating a passport isn't some scheme of pacification and isolation. And if you have seen me talk in other posts, I'm big on illegal alien reform. =P

And the terror alert level.. Well, that's a clusterfuck born out of fear. It isn't there to impose fear... But for some fucking reason, the 24/7 news stations enjoy putting the "terror alert level" into their crawls as a bumper. It's annoying to me, and it always has been.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Oh, I travelled through Canada to cut quickly across Ohio just last August. I know you can do it without the birth certificate or passport. I'm just saying that mandating a passport isn't some scheme of pacification and isolation. And if you have seen me talk in other posts, I'm big on illegal alien reform. =P

And the terror alert level.. Well, that's a clusterfuck born out of fear. It isn't there to impose fear... But for some fucking reason, the 24/7 news stations enjoy putting the "terror alert level" into their crawls as a bumper. It's annoying to me, and it always has been.

Actually I think that's only fox

nexuscrawler on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Actually until the recent changes you could go back and forth from the US and Canada with an american drivers liscene for cryin out loud

There's another one!

Police! Police!

Shinto on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:

*sighs* I hate that I consider them the lesser of two evils. =(

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

What is the greater evil in that equation?

Shinto on
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    Athenor wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

What is the greater evil in that equation?

CNN. Every time I turn them on the reporters instantly disgust me, instead of disgusting me after 5 minutes of listening to the news.

Actually, most of my time is spent listening to 780 WBBM out of Chicago, and NPR.

Athenor on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    so... I'm not the only one sorely tempted to make and cover my town in these things, right?

Yeah, I'd kinda be acting like a tool and playing into the whole viral aspect of this shit.

I'm not a fan of that sort of thing.

still, you know, fuck the authority and shit. Grrrr... I'm into that sort of thing.

Do you think it would be percived as an action seperate from the actual show, or that it would just come off as rampent fanboyism?

like would an LED Irr trancend ATHF and AS to be a comment about a bigger issue at this point?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:
    so... I'm not the only one sorely tempted to make and cover my town in these things, right?

Yeah, I'd kinda be acting like a tool and playing into the whole viral aspect of this shit.

still, you know, fuck the authority and shit. Grrrr... I'm into that sort of thing.

Do you think it would be percived as an action seperate from the actual show, or that it would just come off as rampent fanboyism?

I wouldn't do it with the Mooninites, but I'd love to put some of these up around my campus.

Athenor on
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:

Clearly this imagery must be seized.

I must make stickers of this image and plaster the subway with them.

Shinto on
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    I wouldn't do it with the Mooninites, but I'd love to put some of these up around my campus.

yeah, I was kinda thinking something else, but the same method. Still shows solidarity, but avoids the whole viral thing.

God, I love the fox terror alert music at the start of the press confrence.

redx on
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    hambone wrote:
    I'm glad all this is going down in Boston. It's good to see that the Red States don't have a monopoly on stupidity.

This transcends politics, in my mind.

Sure. But I meant that in terms of culture, not so much politics.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

yeah, I was kinda thinking something else, but the same method. Still shows solidarity, but avoids the whole viral thing.

I have no problem with the show profiting from this if I want to use the image.

It's a win/win.

Shinto on
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I just tuned into ABC news to catch mayor Menino threatening Turner to pay and calling this a "Tragedy"

:? :x

I am conviced that he is completely out of his fucking mind.

Niceguyeddie616 on
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

I have no problem with the show profiting from this if I want to use the image.

It's a win/win.

I don't hate the show or anything. But, if you went with a diffrent image, you still have the same impact of "lol stupid boston" or whatever, and could mabey get accross a more signifgant political message.

If only obama was a little more light skinned.

redx on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kind of reminds me of that one time some people made big "?" blocks and hung them from trees around some town. It got a similar reaction, although not nearly as overblown as this.

SteevL on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    SteevL wrote:
    Kind of reminds me of that one time some people made big "?" blocks and hung them from trees around some town. It got a similar reaction, although not nearly as overblown as this.
    Teenage girls. Teenage girls made replicas of a videogame icon and were prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law by their hometown full of ignorant cowards.

ViolentChemistry on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is beyond moronic. Way to go fearmongering US, you've done it, now you're so paranoid that this thing shuts down a city.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • entropykidentropykid Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Alright, Entropy. I'm saying this outright, and upfront.

I will not talk with someone who says the gov't actively orchistrates activities to put the US citizens into fear. I'm not saying they don't -do- such activities, as this Boston thing illustrates. But pre-meditation is off the table, at least for me.

Oh ok, WHATEVER dude...think Im nuts?

MSNBC:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=az7yl-UnsQQ

TIME: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1211369,00.html

Fox News: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1q3RPuOo5qg
    FOX NEWS said it was a government orchestrated hoax. Sheesh

But I guess youre the "authority" on news eh?

I dare you to click on those links and call me "nuts" kiddo.

Maybe you
    ll start telling me the government didnt lie about Iraq now?
    Clearly, they already won, on September 11th 2001. Otherwise, something like this absolutely absurd paranoia-turned-misunderstanding would not be headline news.

1. Rights slowly being taken away and fear put into everyone

2. The US invading country after country, with Iran possibly next

3. Corporations, oil/defense raping the treasury...

I'd say they won big time on 9/11
    At times like these, I hope the terrorists win. If this is what people do with our freedoms, maybe there is a legitimate reason for hating those freedoms.

Depends on who the REAL "terrorists" are. Because if the terrorists are who I believe them to be, they are clearly winning.
    I agree that they really need to stop calling it a hoax. I mean Christ.

A hoax is the government saying theyve uncovered "plans by al Qaeda to bomb the Sears tower or blah blah blah" or "theres a new terror threat! Raise the terror alert to beige!"
    mcdermott wrote:

I don't know if you'd count this as "orchestrating activities," but there's no damn way the "Terror Alert Level" is actually meant as a tool to inform and protect the populace.

Only a conspiracy theorist would dare say that! ;)

entropykid on
    edited February 2007
    [quote=[Tycho?]]This is beyond moronic. Way to go fearmongering US, you've done it, now you're so paranoid that this thing shuts down a city.[/quote]
    The Moononites broke Boston. That is the state of the union, people, right there. The Moononites broke Boston. That shouldn't be possible, quad-laser or not.

ViolentChemistry on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ....Anyone got a copy of the "why is this flyer pink" sheet?

I wonder if people will freak if I posted that around town.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2007
    [quote=[Tycho?]]This is beyond moronic. Way to go fearmongering US, you've done it, now you're so paranoid that this thing shuts down a city.
    The Moononites broke Boston. That is the state of the union, people, right there. The Moononites broke Boston. That shouldn't be possible, quad-laser or not.[/quote]

But.... I thought the state of the union was strong.

redx on
  • FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I spent 5-10 minutes checking the MSNBC page I saw this on, convinced the news was a hoax. Seriously, this is how bad things are in the US?

...and it seems that at no point did any of the police, experts and decision makers that the good citizens of Boston pay to keep you safe from terrorists actually stop, think for half a second, and say,

'Um...guys...explain it again - why would they make the bombs that obvious?'

Because, of course, the MO of Islamic terrorists in every actual terror attack so far has been leaving very obvious flashy devices around for long periods of time before they detonate, for...decoration? They aren't the fucking IRA. I can understand the idiotic backpedalling of Boston City Hall, desperately trying to shout 'SCAPEGOAT!' loud enough so that nobody focuses on how utterly retarded their response was; that would be no different in any other bureaucracy in the world.

But the fact there was any response at all? Scary.

Fawkes on
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:
    blarg tin foil hat blarg

Dude....

What?

Glaeal on
    edited February 2007
    Glaeal wrote:
    entropykid wrote:
    blarg tin foil hat blarg

Dude....

What?

actually a lot of those point in his last post weren't too out there. Just, they are off topic.

redx on
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Glaeal wrote:
    entropykid wrote:
    blarg tin foil hat blarg

Dude....

What?

That's what we all say when he posts.

sanstodo on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but according to the BBC, they've been charged and could face up to five years in prison.

I like how they're being accused of orchestrating a "hoax".

No, this wasn't a hoax. It was an honest to God harmless activity.
    The Moononites broke Boston. That is the state of the union, people, right there. The Moononites broke Boston. That shouldn't be possible, quad-laser or not.
    The British couldn't do it, but the Moononites did.

Andrew_Jay on
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:
    You know, when the US goes to war with Iran this year

You said that last year

Shinto on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    entropykid wrote:

You said that last year
    hat.jpg

This time for sure!

Senjutsu on
  • entropykidentropykid Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:
    Glaeal wrote:
    entropykid wrote:
    blarg tin foil hat blarg

Dude....

What?

actually a lot of those point in his last post weren't too out there. Just, they are off topic.

Well someone brought up terror hoaxes, and I linked to mainstream news articles and clips exposing how virtually all of the post 9/11 terror threats in America as well as "terror plots disrupted" are government hoaxes.
    Yet Im the nut for pointing it out.
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    entropykid wrote:

You said that last year
    hat.jpg

This time for sure!

It's ironic...how many people here will have the guts to DO SOMETHING(protest, organize anti war groups, speak out, etc)
    *IF* the US started another war?

You all seem to watch tv, yet Im the only one who see that the US is layering up this very dangerous situation with Iran. Am I the only one that sees several anti Iran propaganda news stories in the headlines every day?

entropykid on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:
    You all seem to watch tv, yet Im the only one who see that the US is layering up this very dangerous situation with Iran. Am I the only one that sees several anti Iran propaganda news stories in the headlines every day?

Feeling that "I'm the only one" is a common symptom of conspiracy theorists.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    No, but you're the only one who sees it as more than propaganda.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:
    It's ironic...how many people here will have the guts to DO SOMETHING(protest, organize anti war groups, speak out, etc)

Hugo Chavez isn't exactly popular with the mainstream media, but I don't see tanks at the Venezuelan border.

Glaeal on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:

Except he's not the only one in this case.

mcdermott on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:

Chronic Masturbation is another one.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:
    You all seem to watch tv, yet Im the only one who see that the US is layering up this very dangerous situation with Iran.
    Don't forget you also have a band.

Senjutsu on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007
    Goddamn you, entropy. Stop derailing the thread with your crazy.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:
    Since non-violent protest falls into the definition of "domestic terrorism", I'd venture "not many".

ViolentChemistry on