As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Momentous Occasions: 12/10/2008

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In other news, Detective Comics was a total waste of paper. It was awful. Bring Paul Dini back!

It was actually pretty good. The art was great and, although it goes for a cliche cliffhanger, I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Paul Dini will be back next month for a one-shot. Then it's Neil Gaiman's two-parter across Batman and Detective in February, and then I believe both books are being put on hiatus for a few months while the Battle and stuff plays out

Dini's actually doing a two-parter next month as well, across Detective and Batman.

Anyway, Final Crisis is amazing. Though I didn't like
    how Black Adam got beat down by Mary so easily. Two years ago he was beating the shit out of every superhero on the planet (sans Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) but now he can't do shit?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In other news, Detective Comics was a total waste of paper. It was awful. Bring Paul Dini back!

It was actually pretty good. The art was great and, although it goes for a cliche cliffhanger, I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Paul Dini will be back next month for a one-shot. Then it's Neil Gaiman's two-parter across Batman and Detective in February, and then I believe both books are being put on hiatus for a few months while the Battle and stuff plays out

Dini's actually doing a two-parter next month as well, across Detective and Batman.

how Black Adam got beat down by Mary so easily. Two years ago he was beating the shit out of every superhero on the planet (sans Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) but now he can't do shit?
    He had the full support of his gods at the time though. Now they were neutralized and Mary was possessed by Desaad with the full support of his God.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darkseid basically said something to the effect of -

"I Will Open One of My Six Mouths, And I Will Sing the Song that Ends the Earth."

and it was prettty awesome.

Where do they go from here? Darkseid is a credible threat again, finally.
    If he is dispatched in two issues whats the point?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    JLA was fun. I know nothing about the Milestone characters but I already like what I see.

Over on scans_daily they've been scanning a ton of old Milestone stuff. I grew up reading Hardware and Blood Syndicate, but reading the scans was a nice refresher course.

Munch on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Are you guys joking I fucking loved that art.

You a god damn liar

Algertman on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't think the Dark Reign art was as bad as everyone seems to think. Namor looked terrible but Doom looked amazing.
    MotW is: (paraphrased) "We stick to the plan. You take the seas and I take the land."

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I had a lot of problems with the issue.
    The narrator was a nobody. Her point of view was worthless and non-essential to the plot. Despite the fact that she got acid-faced, I still felt like she was completely arbitrary.

I also felt like the author went way, waaaaaaay out of his way to explain how Two Face's coin flip works.
    "I am me. And I do not need evidence. The coin will decide. If the unmarred side lands face up, the buffoon will live. If the disfigured side lands face up...well you can guess. {Flip} And we see the unmarred side. Disappointing but I must play by my own rules if life is to have any meaning."

That whole big of dialogue was way too wordy and unnecessary. Everyone knows how Two Face works. We don't need to have him explain it to us in a quasi-philosophical soliloquy.

I also did not like their references to Bruce as "the boss." They have NEVER called him that so far as I can remember, and the new moniker drove me crazy this issue.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MotW was a toss-up between last week's issue of CRIMINAL, ACTION COMICS, and the DARK REIGN special. I'm guessing that Norman's ace is
    another Thor clone - that would both give Doom pause and keep Loki in line - the implication being, Norman can make an army of Thors

I'm probably wrong, though.
    It'd be funny if it was Mephisto.

The only logical choice is that it's
    Squirrel Girl

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MotW was a toss-up between last week's issue of CRIMINAL, ACTION COMICS, and the DARK REIGN special. I'm guessing that Norman's ace is
    another Thor clone - that would both give Doom pause and keep Loki in line - the implication being, Norman can make an army of Thors

I'm probably wrong, though.
    It'd be funny if it was Mephisto.

The only logical choice is that it's
    Squirrel Girl

That's how you keep Doom in line.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008

I had a lot of problems with the issue.
    The narrator was a nobody. Her point of view was worthless and non-essential to the plot. Despite the fact that she got acid-faced, I still felt like she was completely arbitrary.

I also felt like the author went way, waaaaaaay out of his way to explain how Two Face's coin flip works.
    "I am me. And I do not need evidence. The coin will decide. If the unmarred side lands face up, the buffoon will live. If the disfigured side lands face up...well you can guess. {Flip} And we see the unmarred side. Disappointing but I must play by my own rules if life is to have any meaning."

That whole big of dialogue was way too wordy and unnecessary. Everyone knows how Two Face works. We don't need to have him explain it to us in a quasi-philosophical soliloquy.

I also did not like their references to Bruce as "the boss." They have NEVER called him that so far as I can remember, and the new moniker drove me crazy this issue.
    There is still another part to the story, so we can still learn the narrator's significance. And yeah, it was a bit wordy, but Denny O'Neil is both old and was a writer during the 70s.

As for "the boss", I'm sure they've referred to him as such at some point, but it's also (more importantly) showing that they don't want to refer to him as Bruce or Batman, as that's probably much harder.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What happaned with the Dark Reign art, Maleev is usually stellar.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know but everyone is right, it wasn't good

smokmnky on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For those who haven't seen the bad art(and this shouldn't spoil anything, but I'll put it in spoilers anyways:
    namorfw1.jpg

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sagroth wrote: »
    For those who haven't seen the bad art(and this shouldn't spoil anything, but I'll put it in spoilers anyways:
    namorfw1.jpg
    Brian Michael Bendis, Emperor of Atlantis.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Maleev has to be intentionally making him look not himself there, because he drew him just fine in the New Avengers: Illuminati special

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe Maleev was drunk.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Iroh wrote: »
    namorfw1.jpg
    Brian Michael Bendis, Emperor of Atlantis.

Looks more like Robert De Niro to me.

DMAC on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    It's so great to finally see the Milestone characters back in the DCU. McDuffie has been trying to make this happen for years but the pre-DiDio DC were total dicks about it.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    namorfw1.jpg
    MV5BMTI3NzU4MjA4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg

Saph on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't think the Dark Reign art was as bad as everyone seems to think. Namor looked terrible but Doom looked amazing.
    MotW is: (paraphrased) "We stick to the plan. You take the seas and I take the land."

Agreed. Namor was horrid, and Emma was a little off, but the hood, Loki, and Doom were fine.
    could Norman actually kill swordsman straight up like that? I suppose swordsman has no powers if his hands arent actually on the hilt of his sword, and I guess Norman is super strong/fast. I don't read tbolts so why would osborn do that?

Final Crisis was great but its waay too compressed. I feel like I'm being told what happened instead of being shown it. I feel like the compression ruins the epic feel.

valiance on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    valiance wrote: »
    could Norman actually kill swordsman straight up like that? I suppose swordsman has no powers if his hands arent actually on the hilt of his sword, and I guess Norman is super strong/fast. I don't read tbolts so why would osborn do that?
    Why? Osborn is absolutely batshit crazy. THAT'S why.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The Norman thing is retarded. All Spider-Man has to do is show up and Norman will go batshit and fuck everything up.

Maleev is a tracer. Of course it looks like shit.

Moment of the week is Friday. Which is my Birthday and first day working full time at my new job.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Algertman wrote: »

Maleev is a tracer.

You are a fucking moron, Maleev is not at all a tracer.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Maleev is a tracer.

There HAS to be some going on in this issue.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

He had the full support of his gods at the time though. Now they were neutralized and Mary was possessed by Desaad with the full support of his God.

Ah good point, I'd forgotten about that part.

Anyway, I'm liking New Krypton but does anyone else think that it's suffering from the same hype RIP did? Johns said it was going to do to Superman what the Sinestro Corps War did to Green Lantern and it's really not even close.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i love maleev dearly but holy shit the deniro/bendis/reno comparison has me in stitches, son

he looks like this russian dude i know at work

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    da i am king of seas

you want to give king of seas blowjob on penis?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Maleev is a tracer.

There HAS to be some going on in this issue.

"Man, none of these characters look like how other artists draw them! They look shitty!

Gotta be some tracing going on here."

Though, his Namor does look a pretty downsy.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'm pretty positive he's said he uses photographs for reference before. Now, I think they're usually pictures that he takes himself, ala Tony Harris, but calling him a tracer isn't altogether inaccurate.

Munch on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    da i am king of seas

you want to give king of seas blowjob on penis?

howaayvercv0.jpg

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    It's so great to finally see the Milestone characters back in the DCU. McDuffie has been trying to make this happen for years but the pre-DiDio DC were total dicks about it.

Yeah, I was into it back in the day, too. The Worlds Collide crossover introduced me to the charcters, and from there I discovered the rest in back issues. Fun stuff.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darklyre wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »
    Why? Osborn is absolutely batshit crazy. THAT'S why.
    Yeah, Norman can definitely do that, it wasn't the first time. He fucking crucified Swordsman when he was running around Thunderbolts Mountain as the Goblin. God, I love how nutso Norman is, that is the entire reason Dark Reign is gonna kick ass.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saph wrote: »
    namorfw1.jpg
    +
    collins.jpg

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Slagmire wrote: »
    namorfw1.jpg
    +
    collins.jpg

+

potatoe-chips.jpg

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Namor looking like a hobo kind of sort of makes sense because he lost his entire kingdom and most of his people. His life sucks ass right now.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My first thought was why the prince of the sea looks like a lecherous old hobo? Why does he ACT like a lecherous old hobo?

muninn on
  • Options
    ThorionThorion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Momentous occasion: The horrible, horrible depiction of Namor.

Thorion on
    Wanted for failure to pay
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    I loved seeing the Build-a-Friends from OMAC #1 in Final Crisis, creepy spread legs and all.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    namorfw1.jpg

Oh no you don't

Weaver on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Has Spider-Man stopped being published weekly now? Ive noticed it for a while but ther eseems to not be an online release as often anymore.

DarkWarrior on