As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reverse Illiteracy Thread

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Right on.

If you want to be a dick for no reason, just keep on confusing him with Sherman Alexie.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We will probably talk about horror movies!

And about how beautiful his hair is.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ask him how he gets it so soft. See, I can't do nothing with this old mop of mine. It's like barn hay.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My epic poetry class is over. I am sad.

Next year, should I take Greek tragedy or beg for an independent study class?

Quoth on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    My epic poetry class is over. I am sad.

Next year, should I take Greek tragedy or beg for an independent study class?

Independent Study.

It's glorious

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ok so what should I independently study?

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Greek Tragedy maybe?

Something that you look forward to studying, but dread being forced to listen to sophomoric lectures and moronic classmates on and that you are confident that you'll be able to excel in with little aid or input from the professor.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    man, i like william gibson but hate his fucking sentence fragments. you could do that shit with commas, jerkass. it would read better.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I am going to try to study dystopian literature. Cross your fingers for me as I seek a mentor.

Quoth on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    man, i like william gibson but hate his fucking sentence fragments. you could do that shit with commas, jerkass. it would read better.

I'm of the same mind about James Elroy; yes, LA Confidential was great but not every sentence needs to be eight words or less.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Everybody always talks about Greek Tragedy
    But not enough people mention Greek Comedy
    There's some quality stuff there
    What with the wives boycotting sex with their husbands and braggart soldiers getting their comeuppence

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i am really impressed with how culturally informed gibson is. a hotel called the mondrian? hilarious! i don't even care if it actually exists, it's still hilarious

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Yakumo FujiiYakumo Fujii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm about half way through Mistborn. I really like it so far, especially the magic system. Much more original than most.

Yakumo Fujii on
    What was she like?
    "Ordinary. The kind of dangerous, beautiful ordinary that you just can't leave alone. Like an angel from the underworld or maybe a devil from paradise."

"It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation."
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i am really impressed with how culturally informed gibson is. a hotel called the mondrian? hilarious! i don't even care if it actually exists, it's still hilarious

oh my goodness this totally reminds me of this one place I saw in LA

I took a picture but it is large so I am linking it.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stand out, those buildings do.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BusterK wrote: »
    Everybody always talks about Greek Tragedy
    But not enough people mention Greek Comedy
    There's some quality stuff there
    What with the wives boycotting sex with their husbands and braggart soldiers getting their comeuppence

There was a reading of Lysistrata at my (Catholic) high school

boy, that wasn't awkward at all

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone here read The Oresteia?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I am going to try to study dystopian literature. Cross your fingers for me as I seek a mentor.

That's, like, the best thing to study.

I need to find a copy of Napoleon of Notting Hill.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Tonight I'm going to force my way through To The Wedding for school. I can't stand it at all.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So far Moving Pictures is the most brilliant Discworld book, in my opinion.

Though Mort has still been my favourite.

Further updates as I move further into the series (I own... a lot of them now!)

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just read Water for Elephants last week. It is just a wonderful book that I feel everybody should know about.

Also, for Orik. http://www.mondrianhotel.com/

Dynamic Urban Resort

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ok, started reading Gentlemen of the Road. So far it has a giant African Jew named Amram wielding a Viking axe called Defiler Of Your Mother. I like it.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm about half way through Mistborn. I really like it so far, especially the magic system. Much more original than most.

Thats the series where the "Hero of Legend" type character tries and fails to beat the great evil, right?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

Thats the series where the "Hero of Legend" type character tries and fails to beat the great evil, right?

STFU idiot

also the author is a nice dude and I am insanely jealous of the magic system because I have been trying to create one for years and failing miserably

Quoth on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sorry, did I spoil something that is explicitly stated on the back cover?

Let me find the words to express how sorry I am.

You suck.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

You suck.

I read it in PDF form so I didn't see the back cover. Pardon me for assuming that something not revealed until the end of the book in a relatively climactic scene may, in fact, be a spoiler. Also, if you already knew the answer to your own question, why did you bother asking? To show off your excellent cover-reading abilities? In conclusion, suck a cheetah's dick. Thank you and have a blessed day.

P.S. oogmar are you reading the Discworld books in order or what?

Quoth on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Apparently there are two more books after Mistborn? My library just had Mistborn, and I really liked it

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Apparently there are two more books after Mistborn? My library just had Mistborn, and I really liked it

It is a trilogy, yes. For some reason, I wasn't so blown away by the first one that I felt compelled to run out and get the others. Solid book though.

Quoth on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    haven't picked up the third one, waiting for a paperback version, but the second one was pretty good stuff.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

You suck.

I read it in PDF form so I didn't see the back cover. Pardon me for assuming that something not revealed until the end of the book in a relatively climactic scene may, in fact, be a spoiler. Also, if you already knew the answer to your own question, why did you bother asking? To show off your excellent cover-reading abilities? In conclusion, suck a cheetah's dick. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Pratchett better not start forgetting his own name and the appropriate function of trousers before finishing up Raising Taxes, I swear to god.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hey, he can forget trousers all he wants if he leaves that brain space for Discworld.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hey, he can forget trousers all he wants if he leaves that brain space for Discworld.

you know, right after he got diagnosed he actually said he had just came up with this brilliant idea about a magical flat world balanced atop four elephants, who themselves stand on a giant turtle, but he hasn't decided how to call it yet.

If that isn't treating sickness with laughter I don't know what is.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    I just read Water for Elephants last week. It is just a wonderful book that I feel everybody should know about.

Dynamic Urban Resort

you have no idea how happy this makes me

the main character thinks of that hotel 'could you live here and still be technically homeless? i think so.'

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oooooooooogmaaaaaaaarrrrr.

Thanks for your sig; props, home-slice.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

oh my goodness this totally reminds me of this one place I saw in LA

I took a picture but it is large so I am linking it.

yes!

this is a good morning

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I end up Powell's at least twice a week (there are perks to living within walking distance of North America's largest independent bookstore) and pick one up almost every time I'm there, so yes.

Oooooooooogmaaaaaaaarrrrr.

Thanks for your sig; props, home-slice.

No problem, man. It made me laugh harder than I have in a very long while.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ringo wrote: »

Dynamic Urban Resort

you have no idea how happy this makes me

the main character thinks of that hotel 'could you live here and still be technically homeless? i think so.'
    Spook Country is so fucking good. Did you finish it yet? I think I may have liked it better than Pattern Recognition.

And Pattern Recognition was the best thing Gibson had written since Neuromancer.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    so uh

anyone here read the book Nixonland?

I've heard some pretty good things about it from my brother

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Finally, The Count of Monte Cristo has started killing people
    Or at least presiding over their death's

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
This discussion has been closed.