As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Forgot about that. JLU was so good.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow. Bravo.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm looking at Amazon right now for gift suggestions for the parents, and I was considering listing some hardcover TPBs (or would that be THBs?). What are some really good suggestions, based on quality and value?

For instance, this book looks interesting, but does it only include the issues from the MAX Punisher series, or from Welcome Back Frank as well? Also why does it skip five issues (Punisher (2001) #1-7 and #13-37.)?

Oh and obligatory "Did Spoiler and Cass meet up again" question. If not, are they saving that reunion for her miniseries (that didn't come out yet, right?)?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm looking at Amazon right now for gift suggestions for the parents, and I was considering listing some hardcover TPBs (or would that be THBs?). What are some really good suggestions, based on quality and value?

For instance, this book looks interesting, but does it only include the issues from the MAX Punisher series, or from Welcome Back Frank as well? Also why does it skip five issues (Punisher (2001) #1-7 and #13-37.)?

Oh and obligatory "Did Spoiler and Cass meet up again" question. If not, are they saving that reunion for her miniseries (that didn't come out yet, right?)?

It seems to collect Welcome Back Frank, which would be the "Punisher (2000) 1-12". I can't imagine what else that would refer to.

The 5 issues that are skipped are the Kitchen Irish arc. I guess they skipped it because it wasn't as good as Mother Russia, and this book is more about highlights.

If you want a complete run of the Max series, get the Max hardcovers.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Too bad. I already have Welcome Back Frank in a TPB along with Max vol 1, so this wouldn't be worth the purchase. I guess I'll just request vol 2.

I'm also interested in requesting The Walking Dead hardcovers, but two volumes seems a bit small for a hardcover collection.

• Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

It seems to collect Welcome Back Frank, which would be the "Punisher (2000) 1-12". I can't imagine what else that would refer to.

The 5 issues that are skipped are the Kitchen Irish arc. I guess they skipped it because it wasn't as good as Mother Russia, and this book is more about highlights.

If you want a complete run of the Max series, get the Max hardcovers.

sorry robos, that's not really correct. the max series didn't even start until around 2004. this omnibus is collecting the marvel knights series that ennis did before marvel wised up and moved the punisher up to MAX. the kitchen irish story arc is not related to this series.

the issues it skips were fill-ins from some other writer (i forget who). so it's got welcome back frank, and the entirieity of the rest of the run that ennis wrote. it's pretty good, though much more a black comedy book than the MAX series would turn out to be. if you were interested, it might be worth getting just because some of those trades are now out of print and really hard to find.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Woops!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Everyone keeps raving about the Slavers arc that I've been tempted several times to jump ahead in TPBs and grab that instead. An unwise decision?

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It is very good, but they're all at least good, so unless you're really hurting to read it, just get them in order. There actually is a story developing slowly.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's the deal with Jim Rhode's face these days? It looks like he is wearing a shattered metal face on TOP of his skin.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The cyber part of his current existence as a cyborg is slowly taking over.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now that the conversation has come back around to Punisher, I'm going to reshoot a question I had last year, and if someone answered it then, I missed it.

There was a scene that I'm relatively sure was written by Ennis where The Punisher:
    pretended to be captured by a low-level drug dealer with dreads who took the punisher, tied up, to an asian top dog in the drug racket. The punisher killed everyone in the room except for the guy with dreads who started saying stuff like, "that's the last time i'm gonna get you fried chicken, i'm gonna fuck your bitch, i'm gonna run this place-" and then looks up at the punisher "... i mean, i'm gonna leave town.. go back to school... get a job..." then the punisher shoots him in the face "just in case"

Was that Ennis? If so, was that in the Marvel Knights line or the MAX line? which trade?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    that would be the very beginning of the "man of stone" story, collected in the seventh trade of ennis' MAX run

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Many thanks. That was one of the hardest laughs I've had reading comics. Time for me to go buy it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    that would be the very beginning of the "man of stone" story, collected in the seventh trade of ennis' MAX run

Ennis is still writing for Punisher, right? Like Bendis with Spidey, I can't envision any other writer for the character, and will bail out the moment said writer leaves the book.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    No. He ended his run on MAX with #60. He's doing the War Zone mini, but right now it's Remender on War Journal and a string of crime novelists through ~#75-80.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I once read a book that had a collection of a Teen Titans/JLA crossover. Cyborg was evil without a body or something and had them in a weird place. In the end he turned good and had a gold body. What was the name of that book?

JLA/Titans, from 1999. The storyline was a continuation of the events in New Titans #103 - 107 and New Titans #127 - 130. More details available at Hyberborea - For Those Who Ride The Lightning.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Many thanks, Wildcat.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Happy to help!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So here's the deal: Just got $20 in the mail with the Christmas card mom sent me. I just finished taking 2 finals today and I want to celebrate by buying a trade.

Here's the problem: I want to avoid getting something from my Amazon wish list in case I buy something My Slo-Bo/family bought me already. Recommend me something!

Last few trades I bought were Dark Knight Returns, Year One, and X-Men: Endangered Species. I'm kind of leaning towards another Batman or X-men trade.

Which story arc is the one where Batman says his famous "I'm the goddamn batman line," and is it worth getting?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's the Frank Miller/Jim Lee series, All-Star Batman & Robin. And the consensus here is "No."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd recommend Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, Batgirl: Year One, or Robin: Year One in terms of Batman stuff.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, quite some time ago, at one of my moments on the verge of comics, but before I really got immersed recently, I had picked up Civil War as it started - it looked cool and I was generally interested in Marvel characters, though I didn't know too many beyond the X-Men. Anyway, I made it through issue 4, then moved out of town and never finished the series. Today, being back home for the holidays, I made a random stop by the local shop and found copies of issues 5-7, completing the core series. My question is this: What other tie-ins are worthy of checking out in trade format now that I've completed the main storyline?

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's the Frank Miller/Jim Lee series, All-Star Batman & Robin. And the consensus here is "No."
    The consensus here is 'fuck yeah', but only if you are not averse to an almost completely irreverent take on the character.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So, quite some time ago, at one of my moments on the verge of comics, but before I really got immersed recently, I had picked up Civil War as it started - it looked cool and I was generally interested in Marvel characters, though I didn't know too many beyond the X-Men. Anyway, I made it through issue 4, then moved out of town and never finished the series. Today, being back home for the holidays, I made a random stop by the local shop and found copies of issues 5-7, completing the core series. My question is this: What other tie-ins are worthy of checking out in trade format now that I've completed the main storyline?
    The Young Avengers and Runaways tie-in was good but fairly peripheral. I quite liked the Wolverine tie-in too, but I'm in the minority on that.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Really? I've never really noticed much non-despising of ASB&R around here.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So here's the deal: Just got $20 in the mail with the Christmas card mom sent me. I just finished taking 2 finals today and I want to celebrate by buying a trade.

Here's the problem: I want to avoid getting something from my Amazon wish list in case I buy something My Slo-Bo/family bought me already. Recommend me something!

Last few trades I bought were Dark Knight Returns, Year One, and X-Men: Endangered Species. I'm kind of leaning towards another Batman or X-men trade.

Which story arc is the one where Batman says his famous "I'm the goddamn batman line," and is it worth getting?
    All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder. It's over the top, it's crazy, some people hate it, I like it. It's hilarious and not to be taken too seriously. Also the art is pretty. I'm probably the wrong person to ask though because I really don't like 90% of Batman comics.

Anyhow, just get the first Astonishing X-Men hardcover. It's really good, and really accessible.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All-Star Batman is pretty much my favourite Batman series ever.

It's like the Snakes on a Plane of Batman comics.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder. It's over the top, it's crazy, some people hate it, I like it. It's hilarious and not to be taken too seriously. Also the art is pretty. I'm probably the wrong person to ask though because I really don't like 90% of Batman comics.

Anyhow, just get the first Astonishing X-Men hardcover. It's really good, and really accessible.

This. Buy this.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Virral wrote: »

This. Buy this.

Yeah, I already have the first Astonishing HC. Absolutely loved it. Here's hoping I get the Vol 2 HC for Christmas.

I'll probably check out All star batman and robin then.

I also just saw that the entire Batman animated series is on Amazon. Definitely buying that too.

I should probably just drop out of school and get a job. I'm sick of being poor.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Virral wrote: »

This. Buy this.

Yeah, I already have the first Astonishing HC. Absolutely loved it. Here's hoping I get the Vol 2 HC for Christmas.

I'll probably check out All star batman and robin then.

I also just saw that the entire Batman animated series is on Amazon. Definitely buying that too.

I should probably just drop out of school and get a job. I'm sick of being poor.

No! Don't get All-Star Batman. He looks like Batman, but nothing he does or says is the least bit Batman-like.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All-Star Batman & Robin is basically Frank Miller parodying himself

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Frank Miller is terrible.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    well thats just untrue

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, perhaps that was a bit of a blanket statement.

All Star Batman and Dark Knight Returns are terrible.

edit: I know I'm in the minority regarding Dark Knight, but I just thought it was trash. Horrible art and horrible writing.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, perhaps that was a bit of a blanket statement.

All Star Batman and Dark Knight Returns are terrible.

edit: I know I'm in the minority regarding Dark Knight, but I just thought it was trash. Horrible art and horrible writing.

My view on this: Frank Miller is a nut-job who may or may not hate women. However, he's pretty talented and I generally like his work (with the understanding that he's a nut-job)

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    945-1.jpg

ELEKFM_OMNI_COV.jpg

MEP131~That-Yellow-Bastard-Sin-City-Posters.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    look Frank Miller doesn't hate women

he just understands them better than any man ever has

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    Really? I've never really noticed much non-despising of ASB&R around here.

Pretty much everyone here accepts All Star Batman & Robin for what it it and enjoys the hell out of it

and if they don't then they probably like Marvel so their opinions don't matter

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    look Frank Miller doesn't hate women

he just understands them better than any man ever has

:winky:

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.