As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

L5R The Topaz Champion

• KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi gave a glance to the Scorpion, shrugged.

"Nothing important."

Perhaps that wasn't as nonchalant as he might want, he was no courtier after all.

"We were speculating a bit on the Unicorn's good fortune."

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pausing and looking into his cup, Saburo nodded thoughtfully.

"Well, he passed that insane Heraldry test. He earned the lead... For now."

El Skid on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As Kiyashi, Saburo, Denbe and Kamahime relax, Hazu wandered off to talk to Tamori Gonjinka, and have a drink. The crab crowd is being taunted by Agasha Hanori's Yojimbo. Hanori himself i busy flirting with a crab ji-samurai, his attention is not well received. The situation comes to a head when, when one of the crab finally boils over and grabs the Yojimbo and strikes him.

"Ah! Should we intervene? " Asks Kamahime.

More of the crab are getting into it now, as they drag the Yojimbo outside for something likely unpleasant.

"We should, i mean, he's not a contestant but...," Kamahime continues.

Agasha Hanori rushes out, followed by a grinning Hiruma Do. "Well, they are contestants," remarks Bayushi Denbe. "Shall we, intervene?"

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Starting to get up and move towards the door, Saburo says: "I'm not sure it'd be right for us to intervene in Samurai's business, especially since we aren't technically adults yet. We can certainly watch and... um... make sure that none of the contestants are too badly injured, though."

I'm just happy for any sort of distraction at this point.

El Skid on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Before Shino has a chance to walk off, Harukichi speaks up, "Excuse me, Shino-san, are you trying to pick at fight with Miruomoto-san? If so, is there a reason why? Otherwise, it seems like an unseemly sort of behaviour."

Harukichi reaches out, reaching forward and grabbing a hold of Shino's arm, preventing him from leaving. "If there is a legitimate reason, certainly there are better ways to go about resolving such a conflict than to go around insulting the man."

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2008
    "Oh indeed he has given offense. For weeks before his arrival all i could hear about was the 'fabled mirumoto' sword techniques. He's named as a favorite in the iaijutsu competition." Says Kakita Shino "I will duel him and prove myself superior in an unhampered setting. Dulled blades do not strike true."

"I'm surprised you're not doing the same," He says, "You're an adept of Kakita yourself, surely it must grate on you, having a Mirumoto called the superior swordsman." He gives a little smile, "He'll be fine, i'm not thinking of killing him or anything like that."

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    "Don't you think that the optimal time to prove your technique would be at the Iaijutsu competition itself? How will the Iaijutsu competition hamper your ability to perform?" Harukichi softly replies to Shino.

She smiles softly, but speaks with an air of arrogance, "Besides, everyone knows that I am the realistic favourite for this competition. The techniques of Kakita Tetsuo will be proven true against all other styles." Focus! Concentrate on the task at hand, Harukichi! She shakes her head and speaks more modestly, "But besides that, you are clearly letting your emotions get the best of you, Shino-san. And when you let your emotions control your actions, you lose focus and you lose the foundations of the Kakita technique. If you challenge Miruomoto-san to a duel, you are liable to embarrass yourself because you will be performing under the hazy cloud of your anger."

She places a hand on his shoulder and comfortingly speaks to him, "Shino-san, I know you are a fine swordsman and you will perform admirably in the Iaijutsu competition as long as you keep your head about you. Please, I beg of you, go meditate and clear your head of this anger. And on the third day, you will get your chance to face him in an honourable setting and under the knowing gaze of all of your fellow students at the Kakita Academy, who know that our technique is far superior to any Dragon technique. And there, your skill will be proven. To fight him in the shadows outside of the competition will only steal from you the audience you deserve."

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi didn't immediately answer the Scorpion, instead getting up to rush out after the others. He was less concerned with joining the brawl, however, and more concerned with preventing a beating that would shame his entire Clan in the lands of another family.

"We had better."

The irony of working with a Scorpion to prevent chaos was not lost on him.

KrataLightblade on
    edited December 2008
    "Blunted swords," Replies Kakita Shino, "How can it be a true test of skill without true weapons?" He looks away and then back again at you. "But perhaps you are right. An audience and a calm hand will suit my purposes better." He bows, "I will retire to meditate as you say." Something about him now, casts a shadow of doubt over his sincerity, perhaps his easy capitulation to your will. To call him out on this would be another matter entirely.

Meanwhile Saburo, Kiyashi, Denbe and Kamahime exit the inn and quickly find the crab and phoenix engaged in the beginning of a tussle. The two phoenix are outnumbered badly, two to seven. Not counting Hiruma Do. "Come!" one Ji-samurai yells to Kiyashi, "join your kin teaching these bastards as lesson." No guards or anyone else is available to intervene. No weapons are drawn yet. Hazu has followed you out, he's standing at a remove, unsure if he should intervene. His hand is on his katana though and he seems quite ready to leap to your aid should the situation require.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Maybe the alcohol was getting to him, but Saburo suddenly felt very angry. What were these samurai doing brawling in the middle of the street? And 7 against 2, no less?

"Samurai-samas." yelled Saburo, his voice carrying well over the mutterings of the onlookers, "I know that I am not yet a man, but I have to say that I don't think it's a good idea having a drunken brawl in the street while the emperor is in town. How would you feel if He turned the corner with his retinue and saw you fighting in the streets like common rabble? How would he feel?"

Leaving a couple of moments for this to sink in, he said "If someone has given offense, I urge you to at least settle it like Samurai, and I definitely urge the Championship contestants not to interfere. I'll leave you men to your sport now; I've said my piece, and I should really get ready for the feast tonight."

And with that, he turned to walk back into the inn.

I wonder if Takako would approve of the way I tried to save her clanmates. came the thought.

Gah- I have to stop thinking about her... Apparently I need to get more alcohol into myself to stop her from haunting my thoughts. Or maybe I've already had enough alcohol.

What the heck was I just thinking?!

El Skid on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rika glanced over her shoulder, surprised that she hadn't heard a stream of obscenities yet that night.
    I'm obviously tempting fate already. I must not be distracted.
    She bowed to Harukichi as Shino left.
    "Forgive me, but I must go. Tomorrow approaches, and somehow I feel that our time together will be full of nothing but these... interruptions."
    The Scorpion turned on her heel and left, fastening her mask properly as her robes brushed against the delicate trees lining the path, sending a shower of blossoms in her wake.

As she approached the House of Laughing Carp, she heard the noise of the brawl, and hurried forwards, watching the developing scene. This can only work in my favor. The less competitors tomorrow, the better off I shall be.

Rainfall on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi's temper flared, though Saburo's words helped focus his anger into the proper medium. Saburo's choice to leave left the rest to Kiyashi.

He took a deep breath, and bellowed at the top of his lungs.

"You would DARE shame our entire Clan in an unequal fight the night before a tournament?!"

Family or not family, this was disgraceful. And while the best way to deal with these things, usually, was to ignore them and hope someone with authority showed up... Someone with authority would only spread the shame. Kiyashi went on.

"Even the ronin refrains from drunken brawling in the street!" has Kiyashi been thinking a tad more clearly, he might have chosen words that didn't insult a wave man behind him with a blade. Perhaps the ronin would understand, perhaps not, Kiyashi's mind was elsewhere. Kiyashi's fists clenched. Channel rage for when it was needed, that was the Crab way.

Right now, it was needed. If only to keep the bushi from considering the possibility of his own clanmates turning on him.

"Your ancestors would be ashamed, and your fathers would spit at your feet for such actions. Are you so cowardly you have to outnumber your opponents?! I was taught that a single Crab was worth three of any other warrior on the wall. Does your opponents being men so unman you each and every one that you must ask for more help?!"

KrataLightblade on
    edited December 2008
    Saburo stopped and listened to the Crab's tirade. Relatively calmly.

Wow. He thought as the crab began to finally lose steam (or at least lose ways to insult his clan-mates), I guess I'm not in trouble any more. I think Kiyashi is about to get creamed though.

To buy himself time, he pretended to sway slightly and lean against the inn's door for support. Now all he had to do was think of a way to get Kiyashi out of there alive...

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    "I....," Replies one crab, he jaw working trying to form words that aren't there. All of them are completely flabbergasted. What they expected from the other samurai following them out was an audience or maybe even some more support, not admonitions and angry tirades. Saburo's point that they were beneath the gaze of the emperor as well also struck home and they look to Hiruma Do for guidance. He looks pale and even more shocked than the others, in their drunken stupor they had not fully realized that what they were doing was quite wrong.

The two phoenix make use of this moment to move outside of the crab's immediate range of influence, half limping back toward the inn. One of the crab halfheartedly tries to stop them but he desists immediately when no other help is forthcoming. "Thank you," says Agasha Hanori, as he and his yojimbo scampers off.

"Right," Hiruma Do,"I think we'll be going. And this will be the end of it." He gives Kiyashi a hard stare. No need to kick a man when he's down is the message. Even though this was exactly what they were doing a moment ago.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    As Rika turns to head off, Harukichi quickly moves around in front of her. She furtively gazes around, noting that no one is immediately apparent. She whispers very softly, so as not to be overheard, "I'm sorry for the interruptions. I know of a place where we'll be guaranteed to be alone; I'll show it to you tomorrow." After that, she stands on her toes so as to remove some of their difference in height and kisses Rika's mask, right where the mouth would be. She silently mouths the words, "I love you."

She then bows to Rika, speaking louder so anyone who might be within ear shot will hear, "It was been most enlightening talking to you, Soshi-san."

She then moves off to catch Shino-san as he makes his way through the gardens. She finally catches up to him, "Shino-san, I wish to show you something. Come with me to the training grounds." The other Crane is somewhat startled to see her again, looking puzzled.

"While you speak reasonable words, I detected a distinct lack of sincerity behind them. I think that you need to be shown just how adversely affected your technique will be in your current emotional state." Before Shino had a chance to respond, Harukichi took hold of his arm and pulled him towards the entrance of the gardens and to the teaching grounds.

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi said nothing to Do, though he did nod his assent. It was not Kiyashi's place to do more.

Hopefully this shame would remain as private as any could with this sort of audience.

When he turned back to Saburo, Hazu, and Denbe, he was sporting a slightly less enthusiastic smile, but his voice did not show it.

"I think we have hours left this night. Shall we not waste them?"

Kiyashi would never admit it out loud, no matter how strongly he felt it, but the relief was in his eyes nontheless. A samurai must be courageous, yes... but no man likes facing down a superior force. To succeed, though...

That thought brightened his spirits. A little.

"Come, friends! Let us not allow anything further to ruin our merriment!"

A tad forced, and yet... put on a mask sincerely enough, and you might even begin to believe it, yes?

KrataLightblade on
    edited December 2008
    "I've obviously had too much to drink already, Kiyashi-san. I think I'll go dunk my head in some cold water and get changed for dinner... I'm pretty sure I won't antagonize a whole bunch of a Major Clan's samurai with my head under water, at least." Pausing a moment, he grinned boyishly. "Just don't shame anyone else while I'm gone though... I'd hate to miss the excitement!"

Without waiting for a response, Saburo started towards the stairs, just in case the Crab decided to make a grab for him again and force him to drink some more.

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    "Oh so now you wish to duel me ey?" Says Kakita Shino, "Very well," he says, walking along eagerly now. He seems in much better spirits now. "If I'll not duel the dragon tonight, I'll duel you." When you arrive at where you wish to go, he takes a stance and asks "First strike, no blood?" You notice now he is wielding a very fine Kakita blade.

"By the emperor Hida-san," Denbe says, "We should find you a raging oni to slay! After screaming down a horde of drunken Crab that should be a small task, no?"

"I'm just glad that went as well as it did," says Kamahime, "in fact, will check on the phoenix now, see if they're not hurt too bad."

"Invoking the emperor was the proper course of action Tsuruchi-san," says Hazu giving a small bow. "Lets have atoast to the good conclusion."

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    "Not necessarily a wish to duel you. I wish to keep you from doing something stupid and dishonouring the school, Shino-san. But I'm sure I will enjoy a duel nonetheless."

She nods to him, "First strike, no blood." And then she adopts her own initial stance; she kneels down and sits in a traditional seiza-style. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, keeping them closed. Are you sure your arrogance won't lead to your loss. She took another deep breath, focusing, knowing that this is not arrogance, but simply a lesson that Shino must learn.

Shino looks at Harukichi, somewhat baffled. Drawing from seiza is one of the most difficult aspects of Iaijutsu and, against a standing opponent, is virtually guaranteed to lose. He shakes his head and clears his mind, attempting to focus. His mind, however, is still partially clouded from the anger at the Miruomoto.

They remain nearly motionless for nearly five minutes, simply facing each other and doing nothing. This is the key to an Iaijutsu duel; drawing one's blade is only secondary to the intense amount of focus and patience that the duel entails.

Shino's patience is the first to give out. As the minutes drag on, his grip becomes tenser, his movements are not quite so still. Eventually, he lashes out. He charges towards Harukichi, hand on the blade. Harukichi hears the impetuous Shino lunge forward and simply smiles.

Shino closes the distance and his blade flies from his saya. Harukichi knew precisely when he was going to draw before even he did. As the precise moment, she rolls quickly to the right; as Shino's blade arcs towards its intended destination, it finds nothing but air. Harukichi's roll takes her clean underneath the path of Shino's blade and, as she reaches the end of her roll, her hand finds her katana and frees it from its prison. Her blade shoots out as she turns about and the tip of the blade barely nicks his heel, scratching the skin but nothing more. She finishes the roll, entering into a full stand and the blade cleanly finding its way back into the saya.

She turns to face Shino, his face red with emotion and surprise. He turns to face her and she points at his heel, "I have won. And you should have been able to easily counter me, but your mind was so filled with noise that you lost the focus that was essential to a successful duel."

She bows to Shino, "It was an honour dueling you. Have a good evening and I shall see you tomorrow."

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi gave a bow of appreciation to the others, as he watched Saburo go. Kiyashi could not help but respect the Wasp for his courage. Kiyashi considered it his responsibility to keep his family and Clan from shame; the Wasp had done it out of respect of honor. That definitely earned him a place of honor in Kiyashi's heart. He would have to be certain to thank him later.

He laughed at the Scorpion's comment. "Let us leave the Oni for the other side of the Wall, my new friend. But Kamahime-san is correct; it could have gone much worse. Still, it did not, and blood was not spilt to ruin this night of merriment with dour-faced priests cleasing the land. Come, my friends, let us enjoy what remains of the evening."

He glanced once at the ronin, a considering smile on his lips, but it was gone almost immediately. Kiyashi wondered inwardly whether Hazu was serving the Scorpion somehow, or whether he had come out for concern of his own.

Time would tell.

KrataLightblade on
    edited December 2008
    Shino's rage is palpable but he tries to hide it well at least; "Hai Harukichi-san, i will not duel anyone else this day." As the two of you go your separate ways, Kakita Toshimoko walks by with Akodo Shotaka. The lion looks pale and the Crane Clan Daimyo has a large grin on his face. He nods his head politely but does not stop to talk. Instead continuing on the path with the lion in tow.

Hazu holds the door open for all the returning samurai, including Harukichi. He needs to linger quite a moment longer but he seems glad to do it. Perhaps its the company he's keeping, which is undoubtedly better than he's used to maybe he just likes being polite. As everyone settles in around the table Denbe motions to start up some story, but Hazu interrupts. "Honorable Samurai i humbly ask for your help. Tamori Gojinka of the dragon clan, the pretty one, you've no doubt seen her. Has captured my heart, i wish to talk to her, court her, do anything i can to get closer. But she she is giving me the cold shoulder."

Hazu is obviously laying in on a bit thick but seems quite sincere. "However she will not deign to speak to me further on such matters unless i give her seven gifts, one crafted by each of the great clans. I have little money but i can promise all debts will be repaid in full, somehow."

"Can you help me?" He asks.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Saburo arrived back at his room a few minutes later with a bucket of water. Setting his bow and quiver aside carefully- and always in arm's reach- he took off his kimono and gently placed it aside. Fetching his feast clothes from his bag he set them as well.

As promised, he doused his head in the cold water a few times, feeling some of the fuzziness from the unaccustomed amount of alcohol leave him. I can't believe that we dispersed that fight with no bloodshed, he thought to himself idly, shaking his head carefully so as not to splash any water on his feast clothes, though I guess that there still might be some fallout to deal with later. I would say that I should watch my back, but what with the high stakes, the planned poisoning and the generally disreputable people running around I was already going to do that.

Having washed the day's grime away, he reached for his hairbrush. He hated taking all this care with his appearance, but with the emperor and various other notables around he couldn't afford to make a bad impression. It was all perfectly logical, and the Phoenix Samurai-ko had nothing to do with it...

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi fell silent as the ronin began to speak, one eyebrow slowly raising at his words. There was a faint twitch in his right eye, but he did not say anything immediately. Assuming the others fell silent as well, he might nonetheless be the first to speak. His thoughts were roiling in his head... the intelligent thing to do might well be to tell the ronin he could not be of assistance. What could he help a ronin with anyway? And yet... Simple words, but simple words were what Kiyashi respected, and the sentiment...

He could not deny that.

"Perhaps you would be more specific. I am no craftsman, and we are many of us far from home..."

And yet, Kiyashi found himself wanting to help... For a number of reasons he chose not to consider too deeply the night before an important contest.

KrataLightblade on
    edited December 2008
    "I have a mask i could donate," Says Bayushi Denbe, "Crafted by scorpions, surely sufficient." He shrugs, "Though you'll have a hell of a time gathering the rest i'd wager."

Hazu nods and tries to elaborate. "In my haste i rushed off before asking what exactly she meant, but gifts crafted by all the great clans. Well, it is a very hard task indeed, but if i could get small tokens from each, she will see the effort i have put to this and that will surely be enough."

Saburo hears a wailing sound outside his room. There is a small boy, no older than a year and some months walking around crying for his mother. He is dressed in very fine clothes and wears a crane mon on his shoulder. "Mamaaaa," he cries, he's looking for someone to help him.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Saburo hastily dons the rest of his clothing and takes his bow and arrows, feeling their reassuring weight on his back as he affixes them properly. Looking slightly rumpled, he slides back the door to his room and sees the boy.

"Hey, little one. No need to cry- we'll find your mother." Giving the child a reassuring pat on the head, he asked loudly: "Now let's see, Where's your room?"

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    "Bigbuilding, thought it, because of the samurai buts not and i don't know." Though the child is very articulate for its age, in between the sobbing, its hard to make out what he's saying. None of the people on your floor, or indeed in the inn know whose son it is. "The big, Sniffffff, with lotsa samurai." He repeats. "Daddy is here with the emperor."

It would seem he's the son of one of the emperors entourage. The emperor would be at the kakita dueling academy now, his barge on the river being empty of all but guards.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Well, that certainly explained the Crane mon and fancy clothes on such a young child. It didn't, however, explain what the child was doing here. "What is your name, child? And do you know your father's name?"

Saburo took the child by the hand and led him down to the common room of the inn, looking surprisingly at ease with the small child in tow. "It seems we have a lost child from the emperor's delegation roaming the inn. Would any of the brave samurai present care to help me to escort him to the academy, ensuring his safe return?" he said playfully. His undertone said much more clearly: I'd like a witness that can back up my claims to the Crane that I'm not trying to kidnap this child.

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    "Doji Satsume!" exclaims the child, happy to know an answer for sure. The emerald champion's son. A witness might indeed be a very good idea. Mirumoto Otakan looks at the child ,stands up and takes a bow. He's clearly sober, as opposed to some other contestants. "I would be honored to accompany you." he says,"I myself once lost myself in the woods at his age, a harrowing experience."

As you continue on your way the child explains, "When nanny fell asleep, i took a walk in the gardens and then i went back but i got lost. The gate to the academy is under heavy guard, the sergeant addresses you. "Halt, what is your business here." He takes a closer look at the three of you. "And what child is this?"

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Careful to remain calm, Saburo looks the guard straight in the eyes and says "I am Tsuruchi Saburo, one of the Topaz Championship contestants, and this is Mirumoto Otakan, another contestant. I found this child wandering around lost, and he claims to be the son of the Emerald Champion himself. I am here to see that he is returned safely to his family".

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi sat thoughtfully for a long moment, then he nodded slowly.

"I... will think upon it. I travel lightly, save for my personal effects... I will see if I may find a way to assist you. I can make no promises to that effect, but I will do what I may..."

It didn't even occur to Kiyashi that the woman might be leading the ronin on. Kiyashi never even considered the possibility.

KrataLightblade on
    edited December 2008
    Harukichi looked up at Hazu and smiles a bit. A ronin in love. That could have been you. "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but she has sent you on a fool's errand. A member of the Great Clans would be unlikely to get a gift from each of the Great Clans, let alone a ronin. No offense, Hazu-san. However, you are in a unique position and one that presents itself with a hidden opportunity. Were you to actually manage to pull off said impossible task... well, that would be quite an impressive feat and one that would demand notice from her."

She thinks for a moment, looking at the ronin, pondering how to make possible the impossible. When it comes to romance, she has a keen interest due to her own circumstances. Plus, she is rather well read on the subject, perhaps more so than one would expect being healthy for a lady of the court. Her life has been filled with kabuki theatre, stories and treatises on love hidden from her father, read by candle after she was supposed to be asleep, samurai dramas, and all other manner of literature. You just read all of that for the sex scenes. Nevertheless, she is well read.

A look of epiphany crosses her face and a wide smile comes over her lips, "Aha! You said it was a Dragon, yes? If you somehow managed to get seven individual gifts from each clan, it would be impressive, but it would be a solution more suited to a Crab or a Lion." Harukichi turns to the Crab sitting at the same table, "No offense, but your clan does favour brute force solutions to problems." She returns her look to Hazu, "But the Dragon value ingenuity, cleverness, and depth. If you were to fulfill her request with an ingenious solution, that would make a Dragon truly take notice. So, that's what you must do. You must not look at the request itself and take it at face value; you must look behind and between the words to find your solution. I think you have already found your gift and simply do not realise it, but I will help you find it yourself."

She places her finger on the table and draw directions with the tip as she speaks, "First, take the west road out of town. About fifteen minutes by foot outside of town, you'll come to a fork. Take the right fork. Now, continue down that path for about another ten minutes. There's an animal path that will branch off from the road. It's hard to miss if you're not looking; if you reach the waterfall, you've gone too far."

"Now, take that animal path to the end. There, you will find the gift you are looking for, but it might not be readily apparent to you that it is there. Meditate on what I've said and when you figure it out, come back to town and present your gift to the Dragon." She sat back, smiling, rather impressed with her romantic solution. She sighs silently, wishing that she had the opportunity to use her solution for Rika. Ah, but you can. That's why you gave him the directions to the second most beautiful view of Rokugan in the area and not the most beautiful view.

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi raised an eyebrow at the woman, then smiled faintly.

"No offense taken." It was true, after all. It was, also, something they were fairly proud of.

He listened to her directions, then nodded at her consideringly. He wasn't sure what, precisely, she was proposing, but he smiled when she finished.

"She has a point, my new friend. You should consider her words carefully."

Kiyashi couldn't help but chuckle.

"From the mouths of Cranes..."

KrataLightblade on
    edited December 2008
    "hmm, check to see if the child is missing from his chambers," the sergeant orders one of his men, "before you alert the champion,". The man slips inside and you wait outside with the fidgeting child. The man pops back out a few minutes later. "The emerald champion is on his way."

A stern looking young man, not much older than twenty, comes into view. Doji Satsume the youngest emerald champion in the history of rokugan, he defeated his own father in a duel for the honor. He is also a personal friend of the emperor even from before his ascencion to emerald champion.

"Hoturi." The name is dropped like an anvil. "How did you get away from your nursemaid?"

"She was sleepy," comes the reply.

"There you are!" cries a voice, the boy's mother runs up and picks up little hoturi "You got lost didn't you,"

"Thank you," she says, "for bringing him back to us, i would have died if we had lost our son."

"Yes," Says the emerald champion, "Thank you. Should you require a favour, after the tournament do not hesitate." His tone however implies that you should hesitate quite a bit actually. Otakan is very cowed by the man's presence. After Doji Satsume's wife has left, the champion gives a chilling order to the guardsmen. "Find the woman who allowed hoturi to get lost, then kill her."

"Sir?" asks the sergeant.

Still looking at Saburo, Satsume continues. "Such a grieveous dereliction of duty cannot go unpunished."

"Honorable samurai, i thank you for returning my son." He turns and walks back inside. After he has gone Mirumoto Otakan remarks. "That poor girl."

Back at the inn, Hazu follows Harukichi's direction carefully as a smile plays over his features. "I believe i know where you are going with this Harukichi-san," He stands up and takes a deep bow. "I am in your debt" he turns to Bayushi Denbe, "Thank you Denbe-san but i will not be needing your mask i think." He rushes off to see about a view.

"Elegant solution, Harukichi-san, i applaud your creativty!" Says Bayushi Denbe

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Saburo is unfazed by the presence of the Emerald Champion, though he does his very best to be respectful of him and keep his expression neutral. The announcement that he would kill the nursemaid for allowing the child free does elicit a reaction, however... A small gasp and a widening of the eyes, quickly covered up.

He bowed to the wife as she left, and winked at the boy. The Champion received the deep bow he deserved before he charged off, and afterward Saburo turned around right away to leave.

When they were out of earshot of the guards, he turned his head to Otakan and said sincerely: "My thanks for accompanying me, Miromoto-san. I believe I have learned a lesson today in the manner of the Dragon Clan, so your presence is indeed somewhat ironic- All of the Clans are different, and many do not share the values that we ascribe to ourselves. An important lesson, I should think".

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    DAY TWO

Second day of the topaz championship. The most honorable Miya Yoto presiding. Kakita Toshimoko this time is seated near the emperor when the contestants start to arrive. The emerald champion and Bayushi Shoju still near the emperor as well. When the majority of the contestants have arrived Kakita Toshimoko stands up and walks up to Miya Yoto, whi starts to draw names for the first contest today. A mixed weapons match. Hence that some contestants showed up today in full armor.

Blunted weapons will be used, able to bruise flesh of course but contestants are expected to show restraint. Even peasant weapons are provided as a concession to the mantis clan.

"I will now draw the contestants name out of the vase." Proclaims Miya Yoto.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Saburo stood on the field clad in light armour, composing himself for the challenge ahead. Surprisingly, his head wasn't pounding like he thought it would- Good thing I stopped drinking when I did last night.

As the Imperial began reading the contestants' names, and he steeled himself.

"...Tsuruchi Saburo versus.... Hazu".

A bushi, then. And a large one at that. And me without a bow. he thought. Well, I'll have the advantage of speed, and I only have to hit him, not hurt him. Let's see how well I learned my lesson from yesterday, then.

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi had been one of the bushi to arrive wearing a full set of armor. The Hida school taught that armor was to be worn as a second skin, that it was to be no impediment to the work of a warrior. Other Clans were slowed and encumbered by heavy armor, but a Hida was taught to fight in the heaviest armor available, and never to feel encumbered by its weight or bulk.

He bore his preferred weapon, a massive dai-tsuchi, . Many others used katanas, and he understood and respected that, but to Kiyashi, the hammer was a weapon that inspired respect and fear in those who faced it, and it gave an opponent pause when they saw a larger man wielding a weapon they themselves might have trouble using effectively.

When he heard his opponent, he glanced at the man, and inclined his head respectfully. Their bout would be last. That was not a problem for Kiyashi; he would watch the others, especially the little Tsuruchi who so loved his bows. How would he fare, Kiyashi wondered...?

KrataLightblade on
    edited December 2008
    The boy stood when his name was called, and moved into position for the contest. The sword at his hip felt awkward, though he wore his rather ancient-looking breastplate well. Bowing deeply to the Ronin, Saburo crouched and readied himself to strike.

He felt almost...comfortable, despite his relative unfamiliarity with the Katana. He was focused on the task at hand, and that was to strike his opponent with all the speed he could manage. I am a bow, string tight and arrow knocked, ready to be loosed.

When the signal to strike came, he launched his sword at his opponent as quickly as a cobra, and in a second it was done. The Ronin hadn't had a chance to react, and had barely started his weapon moving when the "flat" of Saburo's blunted blade struck his midsection with a resounding thwack. Saburo and Hazu looked down with mirrored expressions of shock, quickly suppressed.

Saburo bowed deeply to Hazu as his victory was announced, and returned to his place to watch the remaining challengers square off. This is just the first event of the day- don't get cocky he thought to himself, as inside his spirits soared.

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Hazu walks over to Saburo after they leave the dueling mat. "Though i am not glad of losing," he says, "winning at your expense young sir, would have brought me no joy." He looks embarrassed, "Though if you'll forgive me saying so, samurai-san, your quickness caught me by surprise, very much so in fact."

As Kiyashi steps onto the dueling mat so does his Dragon opponent. Mirumoto Otakan is wielding a blunted Katana and wakizashi in tandem. His starting stance has them up high around his head and in front of his chest. When the judge gives the signal Kiyashi is simply the faster and his hammer knocks his opponent blades out of the way and sail on through right into his face. "Pfwhooa," Exclaims the Mirumoto, as he falls to the ground. "MATCH, HIDA KIYASHI," yells the judge.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi's hammer rests on the ground, as he extends a hand to the other samurai, to help steady him as he rises. Kiyashi's head inclined ever so slightly. He said nothing, letting his offer of a hand up speak for his respect for his opponent. He then bowed to the judges, and once more to his opponent, turning and exiting the contest's defined arena, though he did continue to watch from the sidelines. He caught sight of Saburo, and one fist smashed into the chest of his armor, then raised for a moment, as Kiyashi grinned. They'd both triumphed, and Kiyashi was gaining more respect for the smaller man.

After all, it seemed a bow was not his only skill.

KrataLightblade on