As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do these games teach you anything about real tactical maneuvers and shit? I always dislike flight sims when they expect me to know how to fly the fuckin' planes properly without showing me how.

Tzen on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tzen wrote: »
    Do these games teach you anything about real tactical maneuvers and shit? I always dislike flight sims when they expect me to know how to fly the fuckin' planes properly without showing me how.

Planes in Ace Combat mount hundreds of missiles and sometimes fire lasers. People dogfight while making dramatic speeches about the nature of warfare.

Really, these are games where you zoom around and shoot mans.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    Galcian's SonGalcian's Son Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edit: Beat'd, but you get the idea.

They're not realistic in the least - but then again AC never claims to be a sim. It's just an arcade game with sim-like elements. All the planes carry upwards of 50 missiles and dogfights take place at such close range you can reach out and touch your enemy most of the time - unlike in the real world where enemy combatants would probably never see eachother in a missile exchange.

Hard turning (sometimes with brake or throttle) is usually enough to shake a missile or enemy off your tail in almost any difficulty - you don't have chaff or flares or anything like that. I think the flying is very intuitive, which is why the series has been so successful.

To that end - no. While you can perform some real world flight stunts with the engine they're never -necessary.- The only one I can think of that I use at all is immelman turn and again, it's only for my own satisfaction.

Galcian's Son on
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Tzen wrote: »

Planes in Ace Combat mount hundreds of missiles and sometimes fire lasers. People dogfight while making dramatic speeches about the nature of warfare.

Really, these are games where you zoom around and shoot mans.

And often they do the bolded part to completely fuckawesome music too.

Digito on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the "system" in zero is far better than what they coughed up in 6. The Knight/Solder/Merc rating system is cool, earning new paintjobs is fun, and fighting different squadrons depending on your actions is excellent. Nobody else seemed to like the liveaction cutscenes as much as I did though. I thought they were great.

Knight/Soldier/Merc was a pain in the ass. I hated having missions and squadrons locked because I didn't kill exactly the right number of yellow targets, or "spare" enough damaged enemies who will then return to the battlefield and kill my allies or maybe bomb villages. Fuck that noise. They had their chance to fight back, and they have ejector seats. That's all the break they need.

The cutscenes were okay, and way better than the "dance with the angels" bullshit of AC6. No more metaphors, Namco, please. Just stop already.

But AC6 wins because of the air combat itself, where you actually have to manage your energy in a fight. When I'm using certain airframes, I don't even use high-G turns because of the airspeed it bleeds off. Just slash n' burn attacks from high altitude. At least online.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What? You didn't like the characters saying "dance with the angels" 150k times throughout the course of the game??

And I still think AC04 was the high point of the series, story-wise. So understated and well-done, and I loved how as you got towards the final missions, enemy chatter would boil down to, "Oh shit! That plane has a ribbon on it!!!"

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The new Innocent Aces for the Wii is interesting, though I only have the japanese version so story is unknown really. Its a WW2ish era game so jets and missles aren't in, instead you do more gunning and manuevering while dive bombing things.

For the wii its a fun control scheme that Project aces did really well actually. Wii-mote in the LEFT hand, tilt up to "pull the throttle back" and lay it flat to turn off the engine. Numchuck is the control stick so you tilt it and such to steer around. Joystick is for picking one of 8 manuevers to pull off and its pretty intuitive after a few missions.

My only deal with it is that they put in a super power thats way way to easily cheesed, but necessary for S ranking. Basically, they want you to get close to your target, stay close (doesn't matter if your even looking at them) and then hit A, which performs a super magical cut scene and you end up right behind them, remember to keep your guns firing through it and you'll come out with an insta-kill. In later missions I've had a FEW enemys actually dodge this, but I mean like 1-2 in a whole mission with like 50 enemies.

Bombing things is fun and rewarding, my favorite part is barrel rolling down through flak, dropping my bomb, and pulling up while looking behind to see the glorious explosion.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    What? You didn't like the characters saying "dance with the angels" 150k times throughout the course of the game??

And I still think AC04 was the high point of the series, story-wise. So understated and well-done, and I loved how as you got towards the final missions, enemy chatter would boil down to, "Oh shit! That plane has a ribbon on it!!!"

Or the very last one.
    "They've all got ribbons on them!"

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Are there any decent HOTAS systems that are 360-compatible? Cos the cheapest I've been able to find the bundle is $123, and that's a bit hefty.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Or the very last one.
    "They've all got ribbons on them!"

Yes, the stories of 4 and 5 were my favorites.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yeah that made me feel like a straight up badass.

Do you still get that in the later games in the series, in paticular AC0? Where towards the end of the game you're this flying death machine universally feared on the opposing side of the war?

Digito on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I absolutely loved the "Dance with the angels" stuff.

(I'm not sarcastic)

Djiem on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There is absolutely nothing you could say to make me think that wasn't sarcasm.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Digito wrote: »

Yeah that made me feel like a straight up badass.

Do you still get that in the later games in the series, in paticular AC0? Where towards the end of the game you're this flying death machine universally feared on the opposing side of the war?

Yes, it's pretty universal in the Ace Combat games that your character becomes legendary.

5 and 0 spoilers ahead.
    In 5, this actually happens somewhat early in the game when your squad becomes comparative to a legendary demon from an old fairy tale. In Zero, you pretty much become considered to be that same demon, and you gain respect from friend and foe alike.

In 6...I actually can't think of a specific point when you're considered to be a "death machine," but I do believe that you're considered to be the best pilot in the air force.

As for story preference, I enjoyed 4's, but I still prefer 5's. "Dance with the Angels" actually never bothered me, and it wasn't until it was pointed out to be annoying that I realized that people may dislike that.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I gotta tell you guys, I've been playing ace combat X on the psp a lot and it is a reall fun game. The only reason it's not my favorite ace combat game is because it's on the psp, so a bit of a hassle to control.

It has alternate mission paths and mission conditions depending on which routes you take, and even has some planes that you can customize/add different parts to. I would really recommend checking it out.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah ACX is a pretty good for what it is. I'm surprised AC6 didn't have any of the features of X.

But the missles seem like you have to be closer then the other games in order to get a lock on

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ACX is kinda hard to get used to, though. The "pick the mission order" thing is really cool, OTOH.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hope fan art is an okay enough reason to bump an old thread.
    2b08add2072f6d476090292.jpg

ObstSkwerl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not really.

But during the B2G1F at Gamestop I was looking for Ace Combat 5 and they didn't have a copy. May look around other stores but all the other stores are in busy areas and I hate busy areas.

Where the hell is AC7?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Where the hell is AC7?

Maybe they ran out of ways to refer to angels and/or demons, so they're busy looking for even more obscure terms.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maybe Dan Brown threatened to sue them.

Or maybe DALE Brown threatened to sue them if they didn't start including Megafortresses...

Error on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Error wrote: »
    Maybe Dan Brown threatened to sue them.

Or maybe DALE Brown threatened to sue them if they didn't start including Megafortresses...

Then what the fuck was the Agaion?

Also, there's that Wii game that's Ace Combat: WW2...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What we need is Ace Combat: Rogue Squadron not set during any movies the game! Ace Combat lends itself to Star Wars style air and space battles so well. And since LucasArts doesn't want to work anymore they might as well give the license to Namco.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just want the latest ace combat for the ps3 already

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Unsung War is still my favorite. I tried very hard to like Skies of Liberation, and to its credit, it's got some of the most beautiful ground textures I've seen in a game.

The Belkan War was kind of a letdown, especially the final battle.
    Fuck Solo Wing Pixey and his goddamn multiple-super-weapon carrying indestructible fighter. Christ, they would have been better off with a major squadron fight or another generic superweapon.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, there is a reason to play AC0 though.
    Mainly to see if you can shoot down Mobius 1
    Wanna know how?
    Unlock "The Guantlet" and play it on hardest difficulty. Then defeat Espada Squadron in about a minute. Wizard Squadron shows up, and then is promptly shot down by Mobius. Have fun.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was just reading through the last few pages where someone mentioned wanting an Ace Combat type game but with WWII planes... I could have sworn just last week i was reading some preview of a game just like that. Even the HUD and action was almost exact.

Dammit, cant think of where i saw it!

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, there is a Sturmovik game coming out on the consoles later this year...

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Well, there is a reason to play AC0 though.
    Mainly to see if you can shoot down Mobius 1
    Wanna know how?
    Unlock "The Guantlet" and play it on hardest difficulty. Then defeat Espada Squadron in about a minute. Wizard Squadron shows up, and then is promptly shot down by Mobius. Have fun.

Man it's not that hard. At the end of the day, it's only AI.

Also, http://www.joystiq.com/tag/project-aces

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hope they're delaying it because they're begging the guy who did the gorgeous watercolor still animations from AC04 and ACX to come back, and fired the people who directed and acted in those "interviews" in AC0.
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I was just reading through the last few pages where someone mentioned wanting an Ace Combat type game but with WWII planes... I could have sworn just last week i was reading some preview of a game just like that. Even the HUD and action was almost exact.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=95291

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I liked AC0 quite a bit. Mostly for the music and I'm a big fan of FMVs and the FMV interviews in the game weren't bad.

I just rebought AC4 since I lost my old copy and I'm going to order AC5 right now.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It might've been me talking about such wants, though I want 50s/60s era jets.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AC4, AC5 and AC0 are all fucking great. I love them all. And AC0 has a lot of replayability.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

It might've been me talking about such wants, though I want 50s/60s era jets.

MiG Alley meets Ace Combat? If we get to play intrepid MiG-15 pilots for the Yuktobanian Air Force shooting down Belkan F-80s, sign me up.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I actually loved AC0's final battle, and I especially loved the song that played during it.

Though there were a couple of missions I was none too fond of, in paticular that one crazy long mission... I forget the name of it, but I recall it was like half an hour long or something.

Digito on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I actually loved AC0's final battle, and I especially loved the song that played during it.

Though there were a couple of missions I was none too fond of, in paticular that one crazy long mission... I forget the name of it, but I recall it was like half an hour long or something.

I would have vastly preferred something of a "fair" fight--i.e. my fighter versus a comprable fighter, not a one-person jet-propelled superweapon platform.

Of course, that wouldn't have been much of a challenge without frustrating fantastic dogfighting AI, not something AC is really known for.
    Shooting down the SOLG in AC5, especially with the awesome soundtrack, is still my favorite AC finish.

EDIT: I'm thinking of Solo Wing Pixey again. My bad.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah I know which one you are talking about. It's all dark and rainy and you have to destroy 5 sites that are spread across a huge map? When I used my PS2 I got all the way to very last level but never beat it because the guy is invincible and when I got my PS3 I tried going through AC0 again and that long ass mission made me put the game on hold again. Just barely beat it again last week. The worst part is that the level isn't very pretty so I don't like flying around in it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow. My opinion differs greatly from that of the rest of the people in this thread. Ace Zero is the only game in the series I played that I genuinely hated.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    edited July 2009
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Wow. My opinion differs greatly from that of the rest of the people in this thread. Ace Zero is the only game in the series I played that I genuinely hated.

I didn't think it was that hot either. Especially when compared to its predecessor.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well I'll see how AC5 turns out when I get it next week. From what I heard is that AC5 has annoying wing mates. Although I bet anything can beat AC6s characters.

I've been going through AC4 again and after having been used to AC0, ACX, and AC6 its kinda weird to regress a bit back. They all play about the same but AC4 has some different controls. And the viewing is a bit different. I love the story cutscenes though. So much better then AC6.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png