As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness - December '08 (Ex-Presidents, Aliens, and Wrestlers)

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    theclam wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about this:
    http://www.finallyequal.com/

Based on Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut. The trailer looks pretty sweet and wikipedia has a bit about it.

Considering the story takes all of 2 minutes to read, im wondering how they will draw this out.

edit: I like the touch of the annoying static throughout the trailor to kind of symbolize the handicap in the ears...man that stuff be annoying

Holy fuck. First, that is one of my favorite Vonnegut stories. It basically does in far fewer words what all other dystopian novels do: establish a harsh government, introduce a possible hero, and then bash the readers mind into depression.

Second, Kronos Quartet is doing some of the music. They did the music for Requiem, among other things.

Third, the art direction in that film looks pretty good.

Fourth, if Harrison and dancer don't leap up to the ceiling and kiss, I will be pissed.

Oh: It's a short film according to wikipedia. A guy on IMDB says its 25 minutes. That seems suitable.

Hmm, as important as it would be to stay true and only have it end with the kiss and...effects. I'll be kind of disapointed now not to see it as a full length feature film. I think they could really take the story somewhere great while remaining true to the message.

edit: especially since they've already done the short version with Sean Astin

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of Vonnegut, have you guys seen Breakfast of Champions?

I'm curious as to what people who actually read the book think about it.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't. I haven't even seen Slaughterhouse Five, though. Two of my favorite books, too.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    And I heard Thomas Jane wasn't even considered for the sequel, they never even contacted him and he got all bitchy about it

I'm guessing it was for the same reasons Eric Bana was not contacted for the new Hulk; it's not really a sequel. They probably want to forget those movies were ever made.

The new Hulk was even worse than the Eric Bana one

Ang Lee's Hulk has it's problems but if you ask me it's a pretty good comic book movie.

tofu on
    edited December 2008
    Oh!

I am delighted to add that the new Punisher movie is getting worse reviews than the last one.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked the first Punisher movie but the trailers for this new one.... is this a sequel or a reboot? It looks nothing like the first movie. It just looks like generic action trash.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    And I heard Thomas Jane wasn't even considered for the sequel, they never even contacted him and he got all bitchy about it

I'm guessing it was for the same reasons Eric Bana was not contacted for the new Hulk; it's not really a sequel. They probably want to forget those movies were ever made.

The new Hulk was even worse than the Eric Bana one
    You're wrong, stupid, and ugly.

The new Hulk was pretty good if a bit silly. Beat the hell out of the one before it, Christ was that a snoozer.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Couple of stills from the new Street Fighter movie were released this week.

Here are two of the "best" shots.

8383SF1.JPG

4288SF2.JPG

While the original SF movie was so bad it's good, I'm afraid this one will take itself seriously and just be bad.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The original Street Fighter movie was excellent. I doubt this'll live up to its standards.

Raul Julia wrote:
    For me, it was Tuesday.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I might check out Punisher, especially if I can talk some friends into tagging along.

Definately seeing The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The original Street Fighter movie was excellent. I doubt this'll live up to its standards.

Raul Julia wrote:
    For me, it was Tuesday.

Greatest line ever.

Kyougu on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    The Day The Earth Stood Still is so dissapointing to me. I read the plot summary and it's a shell of the original plot. Did Bruckheimer produce it and Bay direct it or something? It read, and trailered, like they went away from the thought provoking plot to "BOOM! EXPLOSIONS! DEATH! WOOO!"

JustinSane07 on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Punisher is riskier. It'll either be great or crap. The last one was fine, but forgettable.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Based on Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut. The trailer looks pretty sweet and wikipedia has a bit about it.

Considering the story takes all of 2 minutes to read, im wondering how they will draw this out.

edit: I like the touch of the annoying static throughout the trailor to kind of symbolize the handicap in the ears...man that stuff be annoying

Holy fuck. First, that is one of my favorite Vonnegut stories. It basically does in far fewer words what all other dystopian novels do: establish a harsh government, introduce a possible hero, and then bash the readers mind into depression.

Second, Kronos Quartet is doing some of the music. They did the music for Requiem, among other things.

Fourth, if Harrison and dancer don't leap up to the ceiling and kiss, I will be pissed.

Oh: It's a short film according to wikipedia. A guy on IMDB says its 25 minutes. That seems suitable.

Nice that they're making it a short film - the trailer almost summed up the whole story.

Man, the trailer gave me exactly the same sense of depression that the story did. Actually, everything in the trailer looked exactly the way I pictured it back in 7th grade or whenever I first read that story. I'm not sure whether that's a testament to Vonnegut's writing or the director or both, but damn, that trailer gave me chills. I probably would have recognized it in the first 5 seconds if I didn't know that it was an adaptation beforehand.

KalTorak on
    edited December 2008
    Some big news coming down the pipe:

Catherine Hardwicke will not be directing the Twilight sequel, New Moon.

This is a big deal, as Hardwicke was one of the few female directors in Hollywood and now has the highest grossing film ever released by a female director with Twilight.

There's gonna be some backlash to this as this comes down to the (arguably) most successful female director getting fired.

On another note: Batman hits DVD tomorrow. Is anyone going to hit Best Buy up for their midnight release? I am.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    On another note: Batman hits DVD tomorrow. Is anyone going to hit Best Buy up for their midnight release? I am.

My copy of the special edition should be en route from Amazon shortly.

*glee*

Forar on
  • RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i searched for slumdog on the entire forums
    there are only a handful of posts
    guys, you need to see this movie
    It would be tough for most, as it is only a limited release and has been out for a few weeks.
    :| ah well

I saw Slumdog Millionaire this weekend (only one theater in all of Dallas showing it, the Angelika). Amazing film. It's about Jamal, a guy who works at a call center in India that goes on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He makes it very far on the show, and is suspected of cheating. The movie takes you through his life story, revealing how he knew the answers to the questions. Everything works in this film - the casting, the music, the way scenes are set up and presented. If it comes your way, make an effort to see it.

Rubick on
  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, Let the Right One In. Holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen a more mind blowing last scene.
    Through the whole movie I was wishing they would explain who her "dad" was and what that whole situation was about, and then at the end my thought process went something like "oh how nice, they're going on a trip together... wait a second... OH SHIT!! ". I really didn't see that coming and I completely bought that she cared for Oskar and was kind at heart, but looking back I can see how she was just manipulating him a lot of the time.

One of the best movies of the year for sure.

I don't see Oskar ending up like Eli's former Renfield guy. For one, Oskar told her (and I believe him) that he doesn't think he could actually kill anybody. He accepts that Eli has to, but he doesn't seem to have it in him (especially once his rage at being bullied dissipates after he stands up to them). Also, Oskar and Eli's bond seems to be more genuine than the bond between Eli and the helper. That was a relationship built on very fucked-up foundations (according to the book, the man was a pedophile who helped Eli out because she was eternally a child, and she humored him but never loved him). Oskar and Eli's relationship is doomed, of course, because he'll grow up and either move on or die, and she won't, but I don't think he'll be out slicing throats for her.

Brian888 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are there any interviews with Ledger in Dark Knight's special features? That's practically a selling point if so.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »

Raul Julia wrote:
    For me, it was Tuesday.

Greatest line ever.

I'll see you that and raise you

"Quick! Change the channel!"

Mr Pink on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

Raul Julia wrote:
    For me, it was Tuesday.

Greatest line ever.

I'll see you that and raise you

"Quick! Change the channel!"

You don't get great writing like that in modern movies.

Also, I just saw The Dark Knight. Great movie, Ledger's Joker is absolutely brilliant. Makes me sad that we won't be getting any more of that.

reVerse on
    edited December 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Also, I just saw The Dark Knight. Great movie, Ledger's Joker is absolutely brilliant. Makes me sad that we won't be getting any more of that.

The part that was a real sucker punch;

(end of movie spoilers)
    His lines when Batman reels him back up after falling off the building. "I get the feeling we could do this forever."

Me: "Nice! Yes, well stated, and you cou... except you can't. Damnit. :("

Forar on
    edited December 2008
    Are there any interviews with Ledger in Dark Knight's special features? That's practically a selling point if so.
    Negatory.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

Nice that they're making it a short film - the trailer almost summed up the whole story.

Man, the trailer gave me exactly the same sense of depression that the story did. Actually, everything in the trailer looked exactly the way I pictured it back in 7th grade or whenever I first read that story. I'm not sure whether that's a testament to Vonnegut's writing or the director or both, but damn, that trailer gave me chills. I probably would have recognized it in the first 5 seconds if I didn't know that it was an adaptation beforehand.

So hey, did anyone else think that Bergeron was the villain?

I really got the impression that for all the evil authoritarian government did, the Ubermensch was just as excited about crushing normal folk beneath his heel.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited December 2008
    For everyone who enjoys commentaries and has Batman: The Dark Knight on Blu Ray, you should sign up for Warner Bros BD live and log in on your Dark Knight DVD.

You might get an invitation to the 10,000 person screening of TDK with Chis Nolan doing a live commentary and answering questions.

I signed up yesterday and accepted my invite.

Sounds great, since there isn't a commentary track on the movie.

Here's the message I got:
    Congratulations! You are now signed up for Live Christopher Nolan Event!
    This event starts on December 18th at 6:00 PM (PST)
    Please remember that in order to participate, you must have the following:

* The Dark Knight on Blu-ray Disc
    * A Blu-ray Player that supports BD-Live*
    * Your Blu-ray Player must be connected to the Internet*
    * A computer connected to the Internet (to ask questions)

On the day of the event:

* Pop your The Dark Knight Blu-ray Disc into your Internet-connected Blu-ray Player at least 15 minutes before the event and log into BD-Live from the main menu
    * Fire up your Internet-connected computer and go to bdlive.warnerbros.com, sign in, and click on the Post Question button in the event to ask a question

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • WobblieWobblie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Day The Earth Stood Still is so dissapointing to me. I read the plot summary and it's a shell of the original plot. Did Bruckheimer produce it and Bay direct it or something? It read, and trailered, like they went away from the thought provoking plot to "BOOM! EXPLOSIONS! DEATH! WOOO!"

That movie was fucking awful. It tried to not be some cliche sci-fi movie, but just made itself absolutely boring in the process. The very least they could've done is made more unnecessary action to cover up how bad the plot was, but they couldn't even do that right. I feel like I saw that entire movie in the preview and had just watched an hour and a half of bullshit.

Wobblie on
    siggyem2.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For everyone who enjoys commentaries and has Batman: The Dark Knight on Blu Ray, you should sign up for Warner Bros BD live and log in on your Dark Knight DVD.

You might get an invitation to the 10,000 person screening of TDK with Chis Nolan doing a live commentary and answering questions.

I signed up yesterday and accepted my invite.

Sounds great, since there isn't a commentary track on the movie.

Here's the message I got:
    Congratulations! You are now signed up for Live Christopher Nolan Event!
    This event starts on December 18th at 6:00 PM (PST)
    Please remember that in order to participate, you must have the following:

* The Dark Knight on Blu-ray Disc
    * A Blu-ray Player that supports BD-Live*
    * Your Blu-ray Player must be connected to the Internet*
    * A computer connected to the Internet (to ask questions)

On the day of the event:

* Pop your The Dark Knight Blu-ray Disc into your Internet-connected Blu-ray Player at least 15 minutes before the event and log into BD-Live from the main menu
    * Fire up your Internet-connected computer and go to bdlive.warnerbros.com, sign in, and click on the Post Question button in the event to ask a question

As awesome as that sounds, I'm annoyed that there's no commentary track.

Kyougu on
    edited December 2008
    I hope they will offer it as a downloadable commentary afterwards.

Only makes sense.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TS, where do I go to sign up for that?

I hope to hell they offer it after, or worst case someone records it and leaks it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »

I hope to hell they offer it after, or worst case someone records it and leaks it.
    You need to buy the Blu Ray version of TDK, then sign up for the WB's BD Live service...which I cannot remember the web address for.

It should pop up if you try to access the online stuff on the movie.

You then need to take said movie online and check out the special features.

Then cross your fingers and hope for an e-mail.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008

You need to buy the Blu Ray version of TDK, then sign up for the WB's BD Live service...which I cannot remember the web address for.

It should pop up if you try to access the online stuff on the movie.

You then need to take said movie online and check out the special features.

Then cross your fingers and hope for an e-mail.

oh that's all? great I'll do it tonight.

Variable on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of The Dark Knight, a lack of a commentary track is frustrating. The focus shots were really cool, though.

thanimations on
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of The Dark Knight, a lack of a commentary track is frustrating. The focus shots were really cool, though.

I gotta watch them.

honestly after BB I wasn't surprised there was no track but it does blow me away that it seems like the biggest movies are the ones that don't get commentary tracks.

Variable on
    edited December 2008

I gotta watch them.

honestly after BB I wasn't surprised there was no track but it does blow me away that it seems like the biggest movies are the ones that don't get commentary tracks.

I think Nolan must not like doing them, as there wasn't one for the Prestige either, which sucks since he's one of the director's I'd want to hear most from right now.

thanimations on
    edited December 2008

I gotta watch them.

I think Nolan must not like doing them, as there wasn't one for the Prestige either, which sucks since he's one of the director's I'd want to hear most from right now.
    Nolan isn't a fan of special features at all.

He thinks they detract from the movie experience.

Which is no fun.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    damn, I hate when artists I really like think things I completely disagree with.

Variable on
    edited December 2008
    damn, I hate when artists I really like think things I completely disagree with.
    Yeah, I was really interested to see Heath goofing off on set, a little insight into the actual man before he died and whatnot, right?

Nah, Nolan thinks it discredits an actor to show blooper reels.

Something about showing their faults.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    blooper reals I can live without but if I had to say yes or no one them, I'd say yes because more features is always better.

that nazi.

Variable on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I do not care for extras.

Nolan and I are clearly soul mates.

Quid on
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I do not care for extras.

Nolan and I are clearly soul mates.

I'd normally agree. It's fun to check out a documentary every once and a while, but it's not a selling point to me. I do wish the better directors would be willing to do a commentary detailing the how's and why's of certain situations. It seems like all the movies that don't need a commentary do of the lead actors having a circle jerk.

thanimations on