As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bomb hoax in Boston--Marketing campaign

• Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm in Boston, and I watched this thing unfold, and I immediately went "Fuck, there is no way those things are bombs!" and I have never even seen Hunger Force before.

Then, when it was announced that they were part of a marketing scheme, instead of the Boston PD and officials just announcing "everything is fine", they actually ARREST the fuckers that were paid to put these things up!

What in the fucking shit? What the fuck is the crime?

misbehavin on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    misbehavin wrote:

The alleged crime? Something along the line of "Planting Hoax Devices."

The actual crime? Littering, probably. Something along the lines of "Criminal Mischief," maybe.

My guess? In the end they plead out to a misdemeanor with no jail time.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MothercruncherMothercruncher __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    This was the best crime ever.

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

You can't post on these forums anymore!

lol nub!
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

O GOD

I LOVE THESE GUYS

My favorite part is how indignant the reporters are: "We're doing an important job here! You're making us look foolish, and we're trying super hard to get to the bottom of this ultra-serious Lite Brite scandal. Take us seriously! C'mon you guys..." *pouts*

These guys are my heroes for the simple fact that they are not HOMICIDALLY RAGING.

If I was paid to put up ads 3 weeks ago, then some soccer-mom goes batshit nuts because she doesn't know what it is, calls the police, and then the police go batshit nuts because no one has the brains to realize what the hell they are doing, and then once everything was sorted out, instead of just going "false alarm... sorry everyone" they arrested me, I would be absolutely FUMING with rage!

These guys must be on dope.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    misbehavin wrote:
    These guys must be on dope.

Or being paid a shitload of money.

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

lol nub!
  • Options
    Controversy CowControversy Cow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

O GOD

I LOVE THESE GUYS

My favorite part is how indignant the reporters are: "We're doing an important job here! You're making us look foolish, and we're trying super hard to get to the bottom of this ultra-serious Lite Brite scandal. Take us seriously! C'mon you guys..." *pouts*

Reporters and media types rank right near the top of my list of "People who think their job is a lot more important than it is". I swear they never fail to be high and mighty.

Controversy Cow on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They are in a good mood because someone bailed them out and they must have realized that there is not a single shred of evidence that points to intent.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    MSNBC wrote:
    “Just a little over a mile away from the placement of the first device, a group of terrorists boarded airplanes and launched an attack on New York City,” police Commissioner Edward Davis said in an interview with The Associated Press.

9/11 NEVAR FORGET!!!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

O GOD

I LOVE THESE GUYS

Reports and media types rank right near the top of my list of "People who think their job is a lot more important than it is". I swear they never fail to be high and mighty.
    guys journalism in this country is going to shit

guys reporters are taking their job too seriously

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

O GOD

I LOVE THESE GUYS

Reports and media types rank right near the top of my list of "People who think their job is a lot more important than it is". I swear they never fail to be high and mighty.

Journalism is going to shit because they're taking this too seriously.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

O GOD

I LOVE THESE GUYS

But then how else would people get their news?

An open "wiki-media" network where people just report every little shit to the world by word of mouth would burn so much faster and harder.

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

lol nub!
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I heard a rumor that these guys actually had the proper permits to set these up. Does anyone know if this is true, or better yet have a link confirming it?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    So I heard a rumor that these guys actually had the proper permits to set these up. Does anyone know if this is true, or better yet have a link confirming it?

Yes, Turner and Cartoon Network approved the campaign to the fullest extent of the law. But not with the City or government or anything.

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

lol nub!
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    misbehavin wrote:

The alleged crime? Something along the line of "Planting Hoax Devices."

The actual crime? Littering, probably. Something along the lines of "Criminal Mischief," maybe.

My guess? In the end they plead out to a misdemeanor with no jail time.
    And then get a huge raise for using a simple fucking Lite Brite to get the niche movie they were promoting hours and hours of airtime on multiple national cable news channels, along with God only knows how much coverage in the print media. For practically free, no less.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:

Yes, Turner and Cartoon Network approved the campaign to the fullest extent of the law. But not with the City or government or anything.
    I don't think the City has to approve every little fucking ad idea that goes on in a city.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    why would the plead out?

if they go to trial, they get months of coverage for this shit. And it is not like turner has a shortage of lawers on retainer.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm flabbergasted at the degree to which the media is taking this whole farce seriously.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm flabbergasted at the degree to which the media is taking this whole farce seriously.

Guerilla marketing is serious business.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jinnigan wrote:
    hambone wrote:

I don't think the City has to approve every little fucking ad idea that goes on in a city.

absolute worst case they could charge them with vandalism as the ads were on public property without being authorizied

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    My dad said that a DHS official stated on the radio that this whole fiasco was some sort of test, conducted in cities all over the country, and "Boston was the only city that passed."

Please say he was pulling my leg.

Rust on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rust wrote:
    My dad said that a DHS official stated on the radio that this whole fiasco was some sort of test, conducted in cities all over the country, and "Boston was the only city that passed."

Please say he was pulling my leg.

It was the crazy test.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Great marketing campaign? Or Greatest marketing campaign?

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

lol nub!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    god damn it daily show, you better be fucking hilarious, or I'm getting a divorce!

redx on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:
    god damn it daily show, you better be fucking hilarious, or I'm getting a divorce!
    Nothing so far, and it's at the second segment.

But if they don't get it, Colbert will. If nothing else, there's gonna be a Threat Down.

"Threat Number One: Mooninites!"

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So uh, allah akbar?

gotabomb.jpg

Seriously though, why would terrorists set up bombs with freaking ultra bright LEDs attached, in the middle of the night?

They'd have to be some seriously stupid terrorists, surely?

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zampano wrote:
    redx wrote:

But if they don't get it, Colbert will. If nothing else, there's gonna be a Threat Down.

Or he'll put them on notice.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zampano wrote:
    redx wrote:

Or he'll put them on notice.
    I don't know...he did the on notice bit last night with Jane Fonda.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Why does Colbert got to be the bottom feeder? You think he likes that?

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

lol nub!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Massive fucking new story, and they take pot shots at the intelctual honesty of a lame duck vice president.

Stupid real real laguna beach thing?

meh... I'm kinda disapointed.

redx on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:
    why would the plead out?

if they go to trial, they get months of coverage for this shit. And it is not like turner has a shortage of lawers on retainer.

True. And the odds of a conviction on any serious charge is slim.

Then again, when the consequences of losing could be five years in prison the stakes are a bit high. That's often the motivation for pleading out in a case like this; you can imagine a judge who's enough of a dick and a jury that's clueless or ignorant enough to actually convict you.

I mean yeah, it's a long shot. But when you have the choice between pleading out to no felony and no jail time, or risking anal rape...yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see some bullshit plea.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey, Colbert is covering it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Colbert with the save.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Rohaq wrote:
    Seriously though, why would terrorists set up bombs with freaking ultra bright LEDs attached, in the middle of the night?

They'd have to be some seriously stupid terrorists, surely?
    While I tend to agree with you, the obvious answer is that it could be a "hiding in plain sight" thing. If something looks like it belongs, it doesn't get noticed, and that's the perfect place for a bomb. (Note that in every other city that this ad campaign was tried in, there were no reports or anything about them, so you can't really argue that they're things people would notice as being "out of place".)

That said, what really gets me is not the Boston Police treating them as possible bombs. Nor does it bother me that much that, even after examining them (which must have clearly shown that it was nothing more than a glorified Lite-Brite with its own power source), they blew one or two of them up anyway, "just to be sure".

All of the above can reasonably be put into the category of "better safe than sorry", though it was still stupid. What infuriates me is that they're charging two people with "bomb hoaxing" or whatever, when it's clear to anyone with half a brain that there was no intent to cause anybody to think these devices were bombs. They're blaming these folks (and the company they work for) for the money spent and time lost by the police force for dealing with a "threat" that never existed and that should never have been perceived.

I wonder, do they also slap charges on the guy who causes a bomb scare by "mysteriously" forgetting his briefcase?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    WHY wrote:
    Colbert with the save.
    I wish I had cable.

I only get to see Colbert through Comedy Central's website. It probably won't be up til tomorrow.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    logically speaking a briefcase is actually far more likely to be a real bomb that a fucking lite brite

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KimikoKimiko Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    God, I can't believe I missed the Colbert segment on this. I turned the channel like 4 to 6 minutes into the show, which was just too late, apparently... I was really looking forward to it, too.

You know, I'm tempted to go looking for my old lite-bright now and make a sign of my own, albeit a much inferior one. Just to have in my room and for me and my dad to laugh at how stupid people around here are.

Kimiko on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    logically speaking a briefcase is actually far more likely to be a real bomb that a fucking lite brite

Logically speaking even if those things were bomb based on the dimensions they were highly unlikely to be particularly powerful.

Also, I believe you can be charge (or more accurately, ticketed) for leaving your baggage unattended in an airport. I think it carries a fine, though, rather than half a decade in prison.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well, yeah

But my point is that if somebody leaves their suitcase full of underwear behind, and somebody sees it and cries "BOMB!", and the cops come in and blow it up, I doubt the guy whose boxers they just exploded is going to get charged with anything.

It's the same principle.

Edit: You can be ticketed for being forgetful? How perfectly ridiculous.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    entropykidentropykid Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    MSNBC wrote:
    “Just a little over a mile away from the placement of the first device, a group of terrorists boarded airplanes and launched an attack on New York City,” police Commissioner Edward Davis said in an interview with The Associated Press.

9/11 NEVAR FORGET!!!

Isnt it now 1/31/2007? Happy Moonday!

Heh...9/11: Towers Fall, Profits Rise
    entropykid wrote:
    It's ironic...how many people here will have the guts to DO SOMETHING(protest, organize anti war groups, speak out, etc)
    *IF* the US started another war?
    Since non-violent protest falls into the definition of "domestic terrorism", I'd venture "not many".

aww, too true. Typical liberals rub me the wrong way anyways.
    Elkamil wrote:
    Goddamn you, entropy. Stop derailing the thread with your crazy.

Dude, this very story is crazy(and I find, in a hillarious way)

The WHOLE point is were living in this over the top hysterical world.
    There's a debate in the media on this being a "terror hoax", and I provided links to how indeed, the government has made terror alert hoaxes into a science.
    entropykid wrote:
    You all seem to watch tv, yet Im the only one who see that the US is layering up this very dangerous situation with Iran. Am I the only one that sees several anti Iran propaganda news stories in the headlines every day?

Feeling that "I'm the only one" is a common symptom of conspiracy theorists.

Funny, I was called a conspiracy theorist when I said the US was stacking a deck of lies as it pushed for war with Iraq...when was that? Oh yes...fall of 2002.
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Don't forget you also have a band.

Im excited, were putting out an album and going on tour this spring, woot.

entropykid on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    entropykid wrote:

Funny, I was called a conspiracy theorist when I said the US was stacking a deck of lies as it pushed for war with Iraq...when was that? Oh yes...fall of 2002.

The difference is that you were not the only one. Also, we were all vindicated.

Fencingsax on