As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

People turning into animals

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for two sorts of suggestios on movies. The first is for werewolf movies, and the like. I've been wanting to watch some new werewolf movies recently, but I'm really not sure what to look for. I've tried looking at blockbuster.com but that didn't last very long as as a source. I'll list the movies I have seen thus far, so that hopefully I can get some new suggestions.

Howling (not seen anything past the first), Wolf, Cursed, American Werewolf in London/Paris, the Wolfman, Moon of the Wolf, Cry of the Wolf, Werewolf in Washington, Werewolf in the girls dormitory, Silver Bullet, Kibakichi 1&2 (something more like this would be much appreciated), Beast of Briar Road (I think thats the name), Bad Moon, Van Helsing, Skinwalkers, Wolfman meets Frankenstein, Ginger Snap (3 off them, don't know if there are more at this point). I think there are more, but that is all that comes to mind right now.

The other part of the request is for other movies that involve people turning into animals. I'm currently trying to work on a story about people who change into animals at night, and I'm really trying to get ideas for where to go with it and possibly things such as lore to try and fit in with it and such.

Television shows or miniseries are good for either one, though books aren't what I'm looking for. I'll gladly accept any book recommendations, but I'm generally a slow reader and I'm working on the Song of Ice and Fire series and want to get those read before I move on to any other books.

Edit: Channged title to hopefully get more of what I'm looking for. Also looking for legends and myths of shapeshifting into animals, mostly Native American.

KurnDerak on

• Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It wasn't very good, but what about Dog Soldiers?

W2 on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are very nearly the definitive TV series for how to handle a consistent mythos of traditional Things That Go Bump, including werewolves, so definitely watch through those if you haven't already. (Plus, they're awesome shows.)

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are very nearly the definitive TV series for how to handle a consistent mythos of traditional Things That Go Bump, including werewolves, so definitely watch through those if you haven't already. (Plus, they're awesome shows.)

Keep in mind you won't really get to the werewolf stuff until Season 2 or 3. I'm leaning towards Season 3 if I remember correctly.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, that's true. I mean, it's not specifically good for werewolves (although there's a fair amount of that in the 2nd-4th seasons), but for general traditional horror monsters, they've got a pretty consistent, well-devised setting figured out... even when the costumes are kind of bad.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah, forgot about Dog Soldiers. That is one that I've seen that I could watch again. Is there only one Dog Soldiers movie, or are there several at this point?

I've got all the seasons of Angel and Buffy, but didn't think of mentioning it as there are only a handful of episodes in each that deal with werewolves, so it's not really a series just to watch for werewolves and the such.

One of the thinsg I have thought about but I'm not sure of is Animorphs. I know there was a book series, but wasn't there a TV series as well? The main reason I'm heasitent to look for it at all is because it was aimed at kids - young teens I'm pretty sure.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Ah, forgot about Dog Soldiers. That is one that I've seen that I could watch again. Is there only one Dog Soldiers movie, or are there several at this point?

I've got all the seasons of Angel and Buffy, but didn't think of mentioning it as there are only a handful of episodes in each that deal with werewolves, so it's not really a series just to watch for werewolves and the such.

One of the thinsg I have thought about but I'm not sure of is Animorphs. I know there was a book series, but wasn't there a TV series as well? The main reason I'm heasitent to look for it at all is because it was aimed at kids - young teens I'm pretty sure.

Don't. Just don't. Forget you ever even thought about it, or it might find you

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not quite werewolf but close enough: Brotherhood of the Wolf.
    And you're missing Underworld, and possibly it's rather dire sequel.

There was a tv mini series a while back about a girl living in the city who turned into a wolf at night. I can't remember much about it but it was pretty good.
    edit: apparently it was called wilderness

Rook on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wilderness... interesting. I'll need to look into that. Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of those that I still need to see, I'll try and rent it next time I hit blockbuster. Underworld was another one of those that i've seen but forgot about, still haven't seen the sequel.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll second Brotherhood of the Wolf, it was really good.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are you just looking for televsion/movies? Cause there's a shitload of books nowadays that fall under the 'urban supernatural' that you seem to be interested in.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The wolf lake tv series was a good one, not sure if you can find the episodes anywhere though. Wikipedia has a list of movies and such as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Werewolves_in_film_and_television

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yea, not really looks for books as previously stated in my first post.

Thanks E. Coyote for the link. That list is shorter then I would have expected it to be though.

I'd like some more help with the second part of the request though. I'm not thinking of any movies or tv series that would be similar to what I'm thinking for. The best I can think of would be Animorphs but good? Basically a movie where people shapeshift willingly or unwillingly into animals.

The requests on this sort of keep growing I guess, but as well does anyone know of any Native American legends or anything similar to look into? I know of skin walkers and wendigo myths, but thats about it. With the story I'm working on I'm thinking that maybe I could go in a Native American legend sort of direction, but i'm really not fully sure where to start looking to try and find some.

Again, thanks so far.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The person who says Dog Soldiers is a bad movie is a dirty fucking liar who is trying to trick you. Watch it now.

Some other suggestions - I am not saying these are good, only that they exist and are about werewolves or turning into animals.
    Wolfen - shapeshifters
    Cursed - werewolves

I know I've seen some more of both that weren't listed here over the last couple of years, if I can remember them, I'll post.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Probably not what you're looking for at all, but I just remembered Teen Wolf.

Also, there was a TV show I only saw one or two episodes of in the early 90s called She Wolf of London.

SteevL on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TANK GIRL

mothafuckin Ice-T

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gotta say it ... Manimal.

Cause what else can I do when the answer is, Manimal?
    I guess I could've been quiet. It was terrible, but I loved it.

Djeet on