As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IGA's Second Symphony - possible SOTN sequel

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That's true, and there were 2 on the N64. No idea what I was thinking.

I'd say a 360 and PS3 version is likely, then.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    IGA still seems pretty adamant that he's not going to do anything on the Wii for a bit. Even with all his fans insisting that the Wiimote would be awesome for whip control, he thinks it would be problematic and/or tiresome to even try to implement something like that.

Edit:
    1up wrote:
    1UP: Can you just clarify your comments about developing for the PSP?
    Igarasahi: Basically, I would like to move to a multiplatform basis, so PSP is included as one of my targeted platforms.

1UP: You know, another platform that people are wondering about is the Wii. When you think about it, there are a couple games that seem like they would make a lot of sense on that system. You know, such as Tennis -- there are a couple of games that just feel like they're perfect on the Wii. And I have to say, Castlevania seems like it would right up there -- what other game do you swing a whip around? I know you mentioned around E3 time that you weren't really sure about the Wii -- at the time you hadn't really checked it out. Now that you've seen a lot more of it and you've seen the buzz surrounding it, are you planning something for the Wii? Whether or not you actually release something for the system, are you at least thinking about concepts for it?
    Igarasahi: 80 percent of the press ask me that question. [laughs]

1UP: So what do you tell them?
    Igarasahi: Everyone can think about Castlevania on the Wii, and I of course have thought about it as well. But here's the thing. Users can swing the controller around for 5 minutes or so and have some fun, but I would rather people be deeply immersed in a Castlevania game and play for at least an hour at a time. So I wouldn't want to have people using the controller to swing the whip -- I would only want to use the swinging for special occasions in the game.

1UP: So no Castlevania WarioWare style mini-game collection for the Wii, huh?
    Igarasahi: [laughs] OK, maybe I would do that.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Because swinging a sword around in Zelda was so tiring and boring.

*yawn* Igarasahi *yawn*

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Personally I'm with him, at least partially. The wiimote is an awesome tool but it's frankly still too new. Developers haven't really fleshed it out completely yet, I doubt even Nintendo has, and to go into making a full 3-D castlevania game with wiimote controls at this stage could easily produce an ambitious but ultimately mediocre game. Not unlike many of the Wii titles currently available.

I'd like him to wait at least a year to see how other developers work with the wiimote to make a castlevania game based on it. I wouldn't, however, like for him to write it off entirely.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    Because swinging a sword around in Zelda was so tiring and boring.

*yawn* Igarasahi *yawn*
    You don't swing it though.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    I wouldn't, however, like for him to write it off entirely.

I think that's my main issue with him at the moment. It seems like he's doing just this.

ASIDE: The DS could ALWAYS use more metroidvania. :D

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    IGA will make a game wherever the sales are.

Personally, I'd rather have a Wii Boktai than another 3D Castlevania.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I agree somewhat, as well. But my argument is that Iga has yet to produce 3D Castlevania that even comes close to appealing with the 2D fanbase. Adding complex whip control on top of the "Castlevania in 3D" conundrum is just asking for an even bigger disappointment.

I'm not saying that Lament and Curse of Darkness were "horrible", I'm just saying that they don't quite integrate the "Metroidvania" gameplay that been a staple since SotN.

I may sound like a broken record, but I still wish for a 2.5D Castlevania - 2D gameplay rendered in full-blown 3D (think Klonoa, Pandemonium). It would cover that silly 3D requirement that Konami's suits gripe about in console development, but still capture the feel and gameplay essence of Castlevania that we all know and love.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I enjoyed both PS2 3D Castlevanias a lot, so there'd be no real complaints from me. Except that I don't actually own any of the next-gen systems.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    LCDXX wrote:
    I may sound like a broken record, but I still wish for a 2.5D Castlevania - 2D gameplay rendered in full-blown 3D (think Klonoa, Pandemonium). It would cover that silly 3D requirement that Konami's suits gripe about in console development, but still capture the feel and gameplay essence of Castlevania that we all know and love.
    That would be pretty sweet.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Imran wrote:

Iga didn't do Boktai - that was Hideo Kojima. But a Wii Boktai would be super sweet if they somehow leveraged the Wii's internal clock and/or the weather data off of the Weather Channel on the Wii dashboard.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LCDXX wrote:
    Imran wrote:

Iga didn't do Boktai - that was Hideo Kojima.
    Right, yeah. They were separate thoughts, but I have the flu and am just writing things as they come to me.

In any event, taking a couple of years off before they make another new Castlevania might be good for them.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I just want the next one, even if it's on the DS, to not have fucking awful dialogue. PoR was extremely fun but I never ever want to read the dialogue ever again. So awful.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    I just want the next one, even if it's on the DS, to not have fucking awful dialogue. PoR was extremely fun but I never ever want to read the dialogue ever again. So awful.

Personally, I really enjoyed PoR a LOT, but I sincerely hope that the 2-partner aspect of the gameplay stays unique to PoR. In other words, I don't want that to be any sort of trend. Just give me one mega-badass character.

Edit: CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN!

LCDXX on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    But Zilla!

It's a multi-layer quantum space barrier

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    But Zilla!

It's a multi-layer quantum space barrier
    D:

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MillerMiller Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This hasn't been posted yet?

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
    But the virtuous are being rewarded for their patience, because at long last -- on the 10th anniversary of Symphony of the Night, in fact -- Rondo of Blood is finally making its way to America. And how it's coming over might come as a bit of a surprise: a 3D remake for PSP.

But there's more to Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles than a mere graphically-enhanced version of a long-coveted classic (although that alone would certainly sell the game to most people). According to Konami, Chronicles will also include the original 2D version of the game. And, for good measure, a straight port of Symphony of the Night, featuring full-screen graphics and a touched-up localization. Sorry, kitch addicts -- no more scenery-chewing here.

What Symphony won't be receiving is a 3D facelift; that honor is reserved solely for Rondo. But Rondo's the focus here anyway. Fans have been clamoring for years for a port, a rerelease, a remake, anything, so long as the game makes its way into American hands -- and now it's on the way. Symphony's inclusion is simply a sweet, sweet bonus.

media?id=3182350

Video

Miller on
    prestigeangiernu3.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Looks like ass. The enemies and Richter are okay, but the environment looks like total ass. Still, it might look better in different areas and included both the original 2d AND SoTN is a pretty kickass deal.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I'm gonna be picking up a PSP now. I wonder if they'll actually put the 2D version of Dracula X out here? They damn well better. I'd hate to have to import it.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Miller wrote:
    This hasn't been posted yet?

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
    But the virtuous are being rewarded for their patience, because at long last -- on the 10th anniversary of Symphony of the Night, in fact -- Rondo of Blood is finally making its way to America. And how it's coming over might come as a bit of a surprise: a 3D remake for PSP.

But there's more to Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles than a mere graphically-enhanced version of a long-coveted classic (although that alone would certainly sell the game to most people). According to Konami, Chronicles will also include the original 2D version of the game. And, for good measure, a straight port of Symphony of the Night, featuring full-screen graphics and a touched-up localization. Sorry, kitch addicts -- no more scenery-chewing here.

What Symphony won't be receiving is a 3D facelift; that honor is reserved solely for Rondo. But Rondo's the focus here anyway. Fans have been clamoring for years for a port, a rerelease, a remake, anything, so long as the game makes its way into American hands -- and now it's on the way. Symphony's inclusion is simply a sweet, sweet bonus.

media?id=3182350

Video

No DS port?

Grab the stakes.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Konami hates money.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zilla84 wrote:
    Looks like ass. The enemies and Richter are okay, but the environment looks like total ass. Still, it might look better in different areas and included both the original 2d AND SoTN is a pretty kickass deal.

The fact that it will have the original 2D Dracula X on it makes it worth $50 alone. I don't know why they would shame themselves by showing screenshots/footage of the enhanced (my ass) graphics version.

That said, what's with them using The Beginning instead of Cross a Fear for the first level? The "Wyvern" and the "Orphic Viper" at the end of the level look like ass. What the hell? :?

There's a freeware fan game called Trevor's Quest that's much better than this. Especially because it has towns and non-linear gameplay like Simon's Quest. It uses art assets from mostly Symphony of the Night, Super Castlevania IV and Haunted Castle, making it one of the most graphically intense 2D fan games to be made in the west.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I'm getting a PSP now.

Elendil on
  • Options
    firesidefireside Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Meh, Richter isn't controlled like the slick bastard he is in SoTN. My desire to play Rondo of Blood is greatly diminished.

fireside on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Yeah, I'm getting a PSP now.

My nerd rage is so strong right now I think I just got my virginity back.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    God damn it now I have to buy a PSP (shouldn't have sold mine).
    Meh, Richter isn't controlled like the slick bastard he is in SoTN. My desire to play Rondo of Blood is greatly diminished.

Half the point of rondo is playing as maria, who kicks ass

Question is the PSP region free, since I have to buy a new one might as well get one of those spiffy white ones.

crash5s on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dammit Konami! First MGS and now this. Why are you making me buy a PSP? You guys are jackasses.

Well, it won't work. I'm not buying a PSP until it's dead and under $100. I don't care how long it takes.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Well, it won't work. I'm not buying a PSP until it's dead and under $100. I don't care how long it takes.

At this rate I'll probably pick one up next week. :P

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    so if we have this CV "collection" coming for PSP, when will we see a new CV DS game? We got 3 for GBA, 3 for GB (i believe), and already have 2 for DS. We need a third to be complete.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    so if we have this CV "collection" coming for PSP, when will we see a new CV DS game? We got 3 for GBA, 3 for GB (i believe), and already have 2 for DS. We need a hundred thousand million more to be complete.

Fixt.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    so if we have this CV "collection" coming for PSP, when will we see a new CV DS game? We got 3 for GBA, 3 for GB (i believe), and already have 2 for DS. We need a third to be complete.

You are correct.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So in SotN is there any way to up Richter's defense?

Because god, he dies fast.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:

Destroying bosses and exploration will allow you to find items that will increase Ricther's maximum amount of energy.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:

No, but picking up HP-Up elixirs does raise his HP.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Destroying bosses and exploration will allow you to find items that will increase your maximum amount of energy.
    Ah. I wasn't sure if the max-ups actually did anything in his game.

In other news, armored fleamen do not make Richter happy.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:

The Bible and Holy Water are good for knocking their armor off fast.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wait, I'm not entirely clear. What games are in this?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Wait, I'm not entirely clear. What games are in this?

Akumajo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo was originally released for the Turbo CD in 1993. Anyone who's played it knows it's one of the best platformers ever made. It is easily one of the best Castlevania games, on par with Castlevania: Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania IV and the original masterpiece. It was "ported" to the SNES very poorly and this terrible iteration got released in the US and Europe in the mid-nineties.

Behold its true form and despair:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPZ-9lVlGOo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulLZpxSIlzA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5B7btKrac
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UshvbRUaBE

Dracula X in its true form is an awesome and relevant game. It is notable that a ton of the content used in Symphony of the Night (its direct sequel) and beyond is taken verbatim from this game without modification. The CD soundtrack has not often been topped by later Castlevania games.

It is now known that it is to be released on the PSP in Japan come September. It will have both the original game and a 3D remake a la Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man: Powered Up.

The 3D graphics look like ten kinds of ass compared to the original hand drawn masterwork but the inclusion of said original game makes it worth any price to obtain this game. I will be purchasing a PSP the day this game is available for it. If I have to import it because Konami either does not release it or the original 2D version of the game on a US release of it then so be it.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8896

If the original game were EVER to come out in the US, this is the time. I pray to God it makes it here as I keep holding out on paying the ~$80~$200 the original often goes for online. It is easily piratable but I'm living a lie every time I call myself a lover of the Castlevania franchise yet continue such behavior.

This PSP release will also include a port of Casltevania: Symphony of the Night. Currently this game is only available on the PSX (same name) and the Sega Saturn (Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight).

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

The Bible and Holy Water are good for knocking their armor off fast.
    Eh, I always just dagger-blitz (the up, down, down-forward, forward+attack move) them.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That said, what's with them using The Beginning instead of Cross a Fear for the first level?

I thought the first level theme in Rondo was "Bloodlines" (the one that's remixed as "Blood Relations" in SotN and used for the violin solo during the title screen in CV64)? I could easily be wrong. Also thought that the version of "Phantasmic Hell" (boss theme) in the 3-D version sounded kinda shitty.

Watching the 3-D version, meh, environments don't look great, but the fact that Rondo is finally coming to America makes it worth it. Now bring it to DS, Konami, and I won't hate you.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)