As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Netflix Instant View, 360 and You

• Windowlicker77Windowlicker77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow you guys have put up some good ones I'm adding tonight here is what I have watched so far and highly recommend.

As mentioned Alien all of them are up and they are all good.

Street Fighter Animated movie and Alpha Series if your a fan they are great

Pan's Labryinth if you haven't seen this your missing out

Sukiyaki Western Django this just got added it's not a great western but a interesting take on one from Japan.

Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek this is a hidden gem I had not seen and loved it. It's a short about 20min long and done in CG. I love this movie through and through I've watched it 3-4 times.

Ghost in a Shell SAC good series for fans of Ghost in a Shell

The NeverEnding Story Lucky flying dragons?? Are you kidding watch it again

Fulltime Killer badass Hong Kong flick w/ Andy Lau about assassins lots of gun play here

Heroes Multiple Seasons available, the first is still the best

Windowlicker77 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seriously. This program is awesome. Yesterday, while playing City of Heroes, I watched: The Fifth Element, Men in Black, Beverly Hills Ninja, and Lethal Weapon 2.

All of those movies I recommend, but especially The Fifth Element. Also they have added about 50 awesome movies from Jean Claude Van Damme. I added them all. :)

urahonky on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As far as I'm concerned, the $9 Netflix sub has justified itself by letting my wife and I watch the entirety of The Office. We're at the end of Season 3 and we keep cramming in episodes wherever we can.

Here's my Instant Queue:

queueee0.jpg
    urahonky wrote: »
    Seriously. This program is awesome. Yesterday, while playing City of Heroes, I watched: The Fifth Element, Men in Black, Beverly Hills Ninja, and Lethal Weapon 2.

All of those movies I recommend, but especially The Fifth Element. Also they have added about 50 awesome movies from Jean Claude Van Damme. I added them all. :)

We're green. We are so green.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited December 2008
    Super green?

Also, I can't post my instant queue... But I do believe that Oldboy is on there as well.

urahonky on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Super green?

Also, I can't post my instant queue... But I do believe that Oldboy is on there as well.

Unless the instant selections vary between the PC and Xbox (and they may) Oldboy isn't available. I think it was at some point, but has since been removed.

mcdermott on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Brym wrote: »
    No Country For Old Men[/I] – If you watched this and didn't like it, you're part of the problem. FACT. Drugs, money and Javier Bardem playing a man who could be the personification of Death, this is one of the finest crime thrillers ever made. Aside: any bitching about the ending gets you a slap, douchebag.

See, this is useful. I hated No Country For Old Men and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, so now I know to avoid the other movies you recommended. :lol:

Indeed.

My problem with it wasn't so much the ending as
    the heavy handedness. I like a little elegance in my algorithm and a little lighter touch if you're trying to make an artistic movie. Instead it was TENSION TENSION TENSION TENSION! And the score was the equivalent of a sledgehammer. Eventually it was just too much. The attempts were so brazen that it lost all impact. The machinery was just laid bare, and it brought me out of the movie. The lack of a climax then becomes just a pretentious move because they'd already botched the build up.

It didn't help that the assassin was improbable and the fact that most of the characters were the equivalent of cardboard props.

More on topic, I don't foresee watching that many feature films on this, but its great for catching up on TV (HD video on Hulu is usually slow and my big screen > my monitor) and documentaries.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This thread needs more links... like this one! (I'm not going to relist No Country, Pan's, or Eternal Sunshine, but they should be watched.)

Where the Buffalo Roam
    Deranged gonzo journalist Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (Bill Murray) stumbles through a series of wacky adventures (some true, some imagined) from 1968 to 1972 -- often with his attorney, Carl Lazlo (Peter Boyle), by his side. Never abandoning his passion for drugs, Wild Turkey and firearms, Thompson attempts to cover the Super Bowl and the 1972 presidential election and even takes a side trip that terrifies an unsuspecting hitchhiker.

Empire of the Sun
    Christian Bale (in a stunning feature-film debut) is Jim, a young British expatriate who's separated from his parents when the Japanese Army invades Shanghai at the outset of World War II. Eventually interned in a civilian prison camp, Jim hooks up with several American prisoners led by John Malkovich and becomes the camp mascot … as war tidings become ominous for the Japanese. Lushly directed by Steven Spielberg.

The Silence of the Lambs
    In this pulse-pounding adaptation of Thomas J. Harris's novel, FBI trainee Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) ventures into a maximum-security asylum to pick the diseased brain of Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins), a psychiatrist turned homicidal cannibal. Starling needs clues to help her capture a serial killer; unfortunately, her Faustian relationship with Lecter soon leads to his escape … and now, two deranged killers are on the loose.
    It puts the lotion in the basket!

13 Tzameti
    An award winner at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival, Géla Babluani's taut neo-noir thriller sends its young protagonist, Sébastien (George Babluani), on a harrowing journey through a dark underworld of chaos and crime. Not one to seek adventure, Sébastien uncharacteristically throws caution to the wind when he decides to follow a set of instructions intended for someone else, leading him to a nightmarish destination from which he may never return.

Beetlejuice
    Thanks to an untimely demise, a young couple (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis) ends up as poltergeists in their New England farmhouse, where they fail to meet the challenge of scaring away the insufferable new owners. In desperation, the undead newlyweds turn to an expert frightmeister named Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) -- who has a diabolical agenda behind his scheme to help them. The movie snagged an Oscar for Best Makeup.

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Based on Arthur C. Clarke's story "The Sentinel," Stanley Kubrick's quiet masterpiece probes the mysteries of space and human destiny. In the years between primitive man's discovery of lethal weapons and the birth of the star child, astronauts David Bowman (Keir Dullea) and Frank Poole (Gary Lockwood) confront HAL-9000, the computer operating their ship. Nominated for four Academy Awards, Kubrick's epic won for its stunning special effects.

The Boondock Saints
    Twin brothers Conner (Sean Patrick Flanery) and Murphy (Norman Reedus), feeling that their God-given mission is to cleanse the earth of all human evil, set out to rid Boston of crime. But instead of joining the police force, these Irish Americans decide to kick criminal butt their own way -- à la Charles Bronson. Willem Dafoe is the openly gay FBI special agent assigned to investigate.

A Clockwork Orange
    Teenage miscreant Alex DeLarge (Malcolm McDowell) wanders aimlessly amid a bleak, futuristic urban landscape. Along with his fellow thugs, he drinks drugged milk and listens to Beethoven -- that is, when he's not stealing or raping or beating people in nihilistic orgies of violence. A Clockwork Orange, based on Anthony Burgess' novel, is as powerful as when it was released in 1971.

Dancer in the Dark
    Cursed with a disease that threatens to take her sight, Selma Yeskova (Björk) struggles to raise money for an operation that could save her son from the same fate. To ease her anxiety, Selma relies on a dream life that takes the form of elaborate musical numbers. After she's accused of stealing, Selma's musical reverie helps her persevere against mounting odds.

The Fisher King
    Shock-jock Jack Lucas (Jeff Bridges) becomes racked with guilt after a listener takes Jack's tirades to heart, resulting in a bloodbath at a New York City hot spot. Jack sinks into a depression, drinking himself nearly to death and sponging off his girlfriend (Oscar-winner Mercedes Ruehl). When Jack hits bottom, he's ready to end it all. Could a dotty homeless man (Robin Williams) whose wife died in the carnage be Jack's chance for redemption?

The Manchurian Candidate
    Some thrillers remain as suspenseful -- and timely -- as when they were first released. Raymond Shaw (Laurence Harvey) is a Korean War hero with a lethal secret: He's been brainwashed into being a sleeper agent for the communist Chinese. With one phone call, the Reds can transform Shaw into a deadly assassin -- unless fellow veteran Bennett Marco (Frank Sinatra) can stop them first!

Unbreakable
    Bruce Willis plays an ordinary man who makes an extraordinary discovery when a train accident leaves his fellow passengers dead -- and him unscathed. Is he unbreakable? The answer may lie with the mysterious Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson), who suffers from a disease that renders his bones as fragile as glass. Unbreakable marks writer-director M. Night Shyamalan's moody follow-up to The Sixth Sense.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
    The horrors of junior high are vividly re-created in this darkly comic tale of painfully awkward Dawn Wiener (Heather Matarazzo), who must cope with a dreary, middle-child home life as well as with classmates who mercilessly taunt her. Writer-director Todd Solondz's unflinching look at the nightmare that is early adolescence took away prizes at both the Sundance Film Festival and the Independent Spirit Awards.

Evil Dead
    Curiosity overcomes five innocent teenagers vacationing at a cabin in the Tennessee woodlands, and their cellar-snooping unleashes spirits of the evil dead. After all his pals have become possessed, flesh-eating zombies, the one remaining teen (Bruce Campbell) tries to solve the nightmarish mystery and save his friends. Spider-Man director Sam Raimi uses impressively freaky special effects to make this low-budget horror classic.

Mars Attacks!
    Tim Burton directs an all-star cast in this outlandishly funny spoof of 1950s-era sci-fi flicks, featuring bulbous-headed Martians come to Earth hell-bent on world domination and destroying everyone and everything in their path! Can the president (Jack Nicholson) save America -- and the planet -- from the invaders? Or are we all just toast? Annette Bening, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Glenn Close and Michael J. Fox co-star.

Team America: World Police
    Trey Parker and Matt Stone apply their acerbic wit to global crime fighting in this satire starring an all-marionette cast. Team America is a police force tasked with the role of keeping the peace in a troubled planet. Wherever there's a dictator itching to rule the world, the heroes fly in to dismantle the government. The team's newest recruit is Gary Johnston, a Broadway star who just may have found his true calling.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Nobody has mentions Weeds yet? Or 30 Rock?

I don't watch too many movies with the instant queue because I've already seen most of what's available. I keep a healthy stock for when I'm bored anyway.

However, getting to watch these 2 shows alone was worth it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    INLAND EMPIRE: A thow everything at the wall and see what sticks effort from David Lynch, it's a dream logic film involving an actress under existential threat, a Polish prostitution ring, crack addicts, and a sitcom with people in giant rabbit suits. A little long and not as good as Mulholland Drive, it's worth a look if you're into David Lynch.

Eraserhead: David Lynch's first full length film, still completely awesome.

Lake of Fire: An incredible documentary revolving around continuing debate about abortion. This one will make you rethink your political/personal stances on the topic no matter where you currently lie.

Oh yeah...Super High Me: The Super Size Me McDonald's conceit applied to marijuana. Interesting and funny even for non-pot smokers like me.

Grammaton Cleric on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do the movies available for Instant Viewing rotate or something? I remember a few months ago I started watching "Rounders" but now it's not available anymore.

KalTorak on
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Do the movies available for Instant Viewing rotate or something? I remember a few months ago I started watching "Rounders" but now it's not available anymore.

Yeah, they have dates set on them now. It's odd, but it isn't that big of a problem.

urahonky on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    INLAND EMPIRE: A thow everything at the wall and see what sticks effort from David Lynch, it's a dream logic film involving an actress under existential threat, a Polish prostitution ring, crack addicts, and a sitcom with people in giant rabbit suits. A little long and not as good as Mulholland Drive, it's worth a look if you're into David Lynch.

Eraserhead: David Lynch's first full length film, still completely awesome.

Lake of Fire: An incredible documentary revolving around continuing debate about abortion. This one will make you rethink your political/personal stances on the topic no matter where you currently lie.

Oh yeah...Super High Me: The Super Size Me McDonald's conceit applied to marijuana. Interesting and funny even for non-pot smokers like me.

I'm a big fan of Doug Benson and I watched Super High Me but was disappointed. It had a few funny moments but overall I found it boring.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    C-C-C-Corban my man? I ain't got no fire!

Just watched that the other night in HD on cable. Wow does that movie look fantastic.

My 360 RRoD'd the other day, and I don't have a router so I can't set up my Netflix til I do. That being the case, I don't know if these movies are available for the instant queue, but you should check them out if they are:

1) Clash of the Titans - Greek Mythology w/ effects work by Ray Harryhausen.

2) Krull - Cult fantasy. I know it was just insulted last night on the new Family Guy, but honestly, the worst parts of Krull are better than that entire episode was. So fuck them.

3) The Outsiders - Fantastic movie about greasers. A-list cast, most of which do some of their best work here, including: Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Emilio Estevez, C. Thomas Howell... great stuff.

4) Fried Green Tomatoes - Before The Notebook came out, it was the greatest chick-flick of all time. Now it's the second-greatest.

5) Smilla's Sense of Snow - Just watch it. It's a detective/thriller kind of movie, and it rules.

6) Clue - Yes, it's the board game. Yes, I'm serious. This movie is a classic.

7) Bicentennial Man - I know plenty of people that hated this movie. It's about a thousand times better than A.I.

8) Donnie Darko - Because it must be seen.

9) The Fountain - Because it, too, must be seen.

10) Hard Eight / Sydney (probably under Hard Eight) - The first film from Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights). This is a fantastic little film. Early work from John C. Reilly before he became a comedy star and Gwyneth Paltrow before the sight of her made you sick.

If you haven't seen any of these, and if they're available on Netflix instant view... do it.

Fawst on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Nobody has mentions Weeds yet? Or 30 Rock?

I don't watch too many movies with the instant queue because I've already seen most of what's available. I keep a healthy stock for when I'm bored anyway.

However, getting to watch these 2 shows alone was worth it.

I started watching 30 Rock for the first time last night. I normally avoid sit-coms as they're invariably unfunny, but this one kept getting good mentions here on the board. Suffice to say, I plowed through 10 episodes before going to bed. And it streams in HD too, so it looks fantastic.

Is there anyway to determine through Netflix's site which movies are HD?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I also watched Super High Me on Netflix and I also found it boring.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any word on when they are going to improve the selection for the Instant view. I was pretty surprised at how shitty it is.

If you are a young male, and dont like to fight you should see Three O' Clock High. Pretty damn funny.

A high school nerd, Jerry Mitchell (Siemaszko) is assigned to write a piece for the school paper about new boy Buddy Revell (Tyson), who is rumored to be a psychopathic nutcase. When Jerry accidentally touches Buddy, he says that they must fight in the parking lot at 3pm. Jerry will just about do anything to avoid the confrontation.

Planet Terror/Deathproof are available?! Cool

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    warder808 wrote: »
    Any word on when they are going to improve the selection for the Instant view. I was pretty surprised at how shitty it is.

If you are a young male, and dont like to fight you should see Three O' Clock High. Pretty damn funny.

Planet Terror/Deathproof are available?!

Yes, they're available. And if you think this selection is shitty, just be thankful you didn't have to pick and choose before this Xbox deal went through. This selection is about 100 times better than it used to be.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited December 2008
    warder808 wrote: »

Planet Terror/Deathproof are available?!

Yes, they're available. And if you think this selection is shitty, just be thankful you didn't have to pick and choose before this Xbox deal went through. This selection is about 100 times better than it used to be.

And that is 100 times better than it was last year. This selection is actually really good compared to how it used to be.

urahonky on
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well here's to progress made and progress yet to be made.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On the PlayOn! program mentioned earlier in this thread, I've looked over it and it seems pretty interesting. Does anyone know of any conflicts trying to run it and TVersity simultaneously?

Raynaga on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aside from the obvious Office marathons that everyone is using this for, I'd like to remind you all that both seasons of the short-lived-but-awesome Jericho are available for instant viewing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shaft Goes To Africa - Hittin' the mother country like a black tornado. Fighting neo-nazis.

The Host - Korean (?) monster movie. I really liked it.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I heard the Host is sorta like Cloverfield, but Korean.

urahonky on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is the first I'm hearing of this.

It's a good thing I brought fresh pants to work.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited December 2008
    Night Watch and Day Watch are on the Instant as well. They are not stellar films, but they are interesting.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you enjoyed playing Assassin's Creed or Mirror's Edge, you should watch District B13. One of the first action films to really put parkour/free-running into the spotlight, and one of the leads is now Hollywood's go-to guy for those kinds of sequences (see: Live Free or Die Hard, Casino Royale). The director also made the upcoming Taken with Liam Neeson, which looks very interesting as well.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »
    If you enjoyed playing Assassin's Creed or Mirror's Edge, you should watch District B13. One of the first action films to really put parkour/free-running into the spotlight, and one of the leads is now Hollywood's go-to guy for those kinds of sequences (see: Live Free or Die Hard, Casino Royale). The director also made the upcoming Taken with Liam Neeson, which looks very interesting as well.

Yes. District 13 was excellent

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited December 2008
    I added District B13 and noticed that Mad Max and sequel are on Instant.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Night Watch and Day Watch are on the Instant as well. They are not stellar films, but they are interesting.

Do Night Watch and Day Watch play dubbed, or subtitled?

Dubbed they are interesting. Subtitled, they are stellar - in my opinion.

The subtitles are actually part of the movie at times, intertwined in the scenes. Much like the location text on the show "Fringe". I highly reccomend both of those films if subtitled, but it's worth a watch either way.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fawst wrote: »

While I support the rest of your list, The Fountain is complete bull shit. I love me some artsy deep movies, but this one is just complete bull. I didn't have a single clue what the hell this was about, went and did my research and still conclude that it's complete bull.

In conclusion, everyone should watch it just to see how much bull it is.

mxmarks wrote: »

The subtitles are actually part of the movie at times, intertwined in the scenes. Much like the location text on the show "Fringe". I highly reccomend both of those films if subtitled, but it's worth a watch either way.

They are subtitled. I couldn't imagine watching them dubbed, they do so much with the visualization of the words that really add to the films. Can't wait for the third one.

redhalo on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

While I support the rest of your list, The Fountain is complete bull shit. I love me some artsy deep movies, but this one is just complete bull. I didn't have a single clue what the hell this was about, went and did my research and still conclude that it's complete bull.

In my opinion, the movie is more akin to a poem or a painting than a play or a novel. I love it aesthetically--the music and visuals and acting and symbolism are amazing. As a story, not so much.

It's kind of a moot point since it's not on Watch Instantly. Have them send it to you, though, it's worth seeing at least once to make your own judgment.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

They are subtitled. I couldn't imagine watching them dubbed, they do so much with the visualization of the words that really add to the films. Can't wait for the third one.

Do you know something I do not? I hope so - because from what I've read, the 3rd one was called "Wanted" and starred Angelina Jolie.

Long story short, from what I've read, when Fox bought the rights to Night Watch, they bought the whole trilogy and the director (Sergi Lyko...something russian). Fox was going to re-release Night and Day here in the U.S., and then Twilight Watch was going to be all in English (with Brad Pitt apparently). When Night Watch and Day Watch didn't do so hot, Fox scrapped the 3rd one, but Segi the director was still under contract for a film, so they passed "Wanted" on to him. I read an interview with Sergi where they asked about "Twilight Watch" and his response was "I made that film already, it is called 'Wanted'."

We can always hope (hope hope hoppppppppppppe) that Russia pays him to make a 3rd one, however. But I do feel that "Day Watch" does bring a pretty satisfactory ending to the plot.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »

In my opinion, the movie is more akin to a poem or a painting than a play or a novel. I love it aesthetically--the music and visuals and acting and symbolism are amazing. As a story, not so much.

It's kind of a moot point since it's not on Watch Instantly. Have them send it to you, though, it's worth seeing at least once to make your own judgment.

Too bad that it isn't on the list. Ok, so sidetrack for a moment:

This is a very polarizing film. I have never met anyone that saw it and didn't either love it or loathe it. That's kinda why I said it must be seen. I absolutely love it, it's one of my favorite films. And yes, I'm one of those that puts it up there on a pedastal with 2001. It amazes me when people say that it isn't a good story. On the surface, it really isn't: man loves woman, woman is terminally ill, he can't cope. But once you get into the three stories that are told, it turns out to be far deeper than people give it credit for. I love the circular nature of it, down to the fact that the shots of space were created by filming chemical reactions. It's cool to know that something so small was used to create something so large. Maybe you need to have been under the influence of shrooms at some point in your life to really enjoy it, as most people I know that do have at one time done those. *shrug*

Fawst on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »

Too bad that it isn't on the list. Ok, so sidetrack for a moment:

This is a very polarizing film. I have never met anyone that saw it and didn't either love it or loathe it. That's kinda why I said it must be seen. I absolutely love it, it's one of my favorite films. And yes, I'm one of those that puts it up there on a pedastal with 2001. It amazes me when people say that it isn't a good story. On the surface, it really isn't: man loves woman, woman is terminally ill, he can't cope. But once you get into the three stories that are told, it turns out to be far deeper than people give it credit for. I love the circular nature of it, down to the fact that the shots of space were created by filming chemical reactions. It's cool to know that something so small was used to create something so large. Maybe you need to have been under the influence of shrooms at some point in your life to really enjoy it, as most people I know that do have at one time done those. *shrug*

At the risk of continuing this derailment, I don't like it as a story because it is nigh-incomprehensible as a story; you aren't given enough information to make a definitive assessment of what the fuck is going on--how everything fits together. But you're right. I do love the movie, for the things I mentioned. I think it is an aesthetic masterpiece.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    2) Krull - Cult fantasy. I know it was just insulted last night on the new Family Guy, but honestly, the worst parts of Krull are better than that entire episode was. So fuck them.

Man, Krull is on there? Everybody should see Krull.

It's like Ice Pirates. Not good, but damn entertaining.

zilo on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Do you know something I do not? I hope so - because from what I've read, the 3rd one was called "Wanted" and starred Angelina Jolie.

Long story short, from what I've read, when Fox bought the rights to Night Watch, they bought the whole trilogy and the director (Sergi Lyko...something russian). Fox was going to re-release Night and Day here in the U.S., and then Twilight Watch was going to be all in English (with Brad Pitt apparently). When Night Watch and Day Watch didn't do so hot, Fox scrapped the 3rd one, but Segi the director was still under contract for a film, so they passed "Wanted" on to him. I read an interview with Sergi where they asked about "Twilight Watch" and his response was "I made that film already, it is called 'Wanted'."

We can always hope (hope hope hoppppppppppppe) that Russia pays him to make a 3rd one, however. But I do feel that "Day Watch" does bring a pretty satisfactory ending to the plot.

Ugh, apparently you are correct. Thanks for ruining my day.

I wasn't a big fan of Wanted. The similarities are obvious, but Wanted felt juvenile to me whereas Night/Day Watch felt more real. The emotions were more real.

redhalo on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah, I made the mistake of assuming that the DVD release of Nightwatch was dub-only. Little did I know that the subbed version was on the other side of the disc. I guess they hard-matted the subtitle track on for US distribution, so they could add all those funky effects to them, which is why they ended up putting two different cuts of the film on the disc.

EDIT - To answer your question, I'm not sure. :P

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No Country for old Man is a masterpiece. If you dont like it, it's because you're one of the mindless heaps proles who just eats Hollywood shit like it's the flesh of Christ, probably even like Transformers too.

No Country For Old Men was pretentious bullshit, much like most of McCarthy's stuff. The Road? Eegads.

EDIT: Although I must admit Javier Bardem was chilling and very deserving of his Oscar.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Everyone must watch Major Payne. Disregard the last five minutes and revel in the rest of it. Damon Wayans at his absolute best.

"...there must be somebody need killin'..."

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Which is first, nightwatch or daywatch?

SniperGuy on