As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy Crap!! Super Cyborg Gladiators! (now with dress up doll!)

McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Artist's Corner
GO TO BOTTOM OF THE POST TO PLAY THE FLASH MINI-GAME AND MAKE YOUR OWN BIONIC GLADIATOR!

Hey all. You might have seen some of this concept art from the doodle thread, but here's the project in all it's entirety.

This was one of my term projects this semester (and will carry over to next semester) where we basically just had free reign to self-direct ourselves in wherever the fuck we wanted. Most people did gallery show art, or editorial series or whatnot.
I decided to do a mock up video game (vaporware).
Next semester it will have a couple 3d models done, and a fake dvd box and some advertising images. But this semester was for concept stuff.

IMMORTAL CIRCUIT is my game, and its pretty straight forward in principle. I took Roman Gladiators. Then I dressed them up like modern mainstream Racecars and Football players, plastered with sponsorship logos and bright colours. And then I crammed a wide variety of bionic limbs and power-tools onto their arms and legs. Stick a bunch of them in a huge stadium, and let them beat the snot out of each other in wild and inventive ways.

The gameplay itself I envisioned as kindof a multiplayer fighting game where it uses a physics engine to determine movements, damage and effects (rather then a bunch of preset 'moves'). Each player can fully customize their own fighter/s, balancing several stats such as weight, strength, stamina, and speed. Then players fight in a wide array of e-sport type games such as 1 on 1 battles, or large objective based team games (murder-ball!). More gameplay description will come with the next phase of the project.

But now on to the meat!

This was the very first doodle I did when the idea struck me.
victor.jpg

Some sketches just playing around with some cybernetic aug ideas.
immortals-01.jpg

More refined concept, starting to go in the right direction.
saw-shield.jpg

Whole mess of various weapon and aug ideas.
augs.jpg

Two gladiators duking it out.
arena.jpg

Concept for a stadium, as well as a bunch of various flying robots.
stadium.jpg

Environment shot of a stadium
stadium01.jpg

Concept for a pit-lab where they make the gladiators. A cross between a surgery ward and a car garage.
pit-labs.jpg

Unfinished shot of a pit-lab in action.
pitlab-rough.jpg

And this is the cyborg creation mini-game I made to better flesh out the idea of player-customization. Next semster I will be making a model of a "poster-boy" gladiator that I think looks cool and represents the spirit of the game. If you think you've made a kickass looking loadout, feel free to post a screenshot or tell me the names of all the augs.

CLICK HERE TO PLAY MINI-GAME

(you may want to resize your browser to defeat pixelation. I have yet to give it a proper website)

And here's a few sample cyborgs I made with the creator. Hopefully I can revisit it and add more augs, because I had to stop myself from putting stuff in so I could meet the hand-in deadline.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

Let me know what you think of the project, and have fun with the dress-up-doll!

website_header.jpg
McGibs on

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's. Wow. Holy crap indeed.

The Flash gadget is a nice little dress-up game but I adore that concept art. I'm especially fond of the environmental shot of the stadium itself, although the default playing field is really bland by comparison to the surroundings.

There's something vaguely Games Workshopish about the limb sheet, it reminds me of looking at a model's sprue. Awesomeness. If this was a real game, I'd certainly play it...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's all really fantastic. The whole thing oozes thoughtfulness. So many kudos.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    I really love these designs, Gibs.

DMAC on
  • Options
    spank tankspank tank Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wow, brilliant concepts.
    you are one talented mofo :O

spank tank on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Advertising drone is my favorite!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heck yes. Just had so much fun making my gladiator. If only I could take him to battle.

Seriously though, those character sheets are so diverse and rad.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the whole thing is pretty awesome. I enjoyed the flash thing, but a heads up, you have the Scutum A class shield on there twice.

Edit: This needs to be a video game, like now.

Edit Edit: Ok at first I was thinking like a mechwarrior style sort of thing, but now I think like a tcg would be sweet :D

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How do you do the things that you do?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This stuff is awesome but I cant help but think that a lot of people in the second tier are screwed because they won't be able to see the jumbo screens, also I would think the jumbo screens would be wider than taller.

But great stuff man!

Virum on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hahaha that is fucking awesome. You need to make it so we can change colors!

rts on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Billboard drone makes me happy. I've played with your flash game on and off throughout the day Gibbs, awesome/fun!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love everything about it, except for this:

stadium01.jpg

Why just a plain green field? Robot Cyborg gladiators should be duking it out on gigantic rotating blades with spike pits and flame traps. The stadium just seems too conventional for such a sci-fi concept.

There's a little bit from the beginning of House of M that seemed to have a pretty good sci-fi stadium feel to it:

blz01.jpg
    blz02-03.jpg
    blz04.jpg
    blz05.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like the simplicity of the open field, there doesn't need to be some sort of gimmicky trap or whatever, there's enough sci-fi elements with the gladiators themselves to compensate.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    this is some really cool stuff, you must be very dedicated.

how do you draw all this? is it all done in PS? or do you sketch with pencil?

also one last thing, did you use reference for the open field image?

just wanna get a feel for how all this is done.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pretty great stuff here Gibs! I have to say, ever since this NES game with customizable robots, thing it was a robot baseball game, not entirely sure, anyways, I've wanted to see something like this as an actual game. Be a great 3rd person shooter type game like a halo but with customizable avatars.

Don't know if you're looking for it, but some ideas:
    - Tank treads!
    - Additional appendages! (quad legs/arms)
    - Pneumatic extending weapons!
    - Flamethrowers!
    - Chest/head/leg mounted weapons!
    - Tails!
    - Jetpacks!

The possibilities really are endless, great stuff so far!

Shiboe on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    fucking awesome gibs. I really hate that you, Wakka and I are the same age, When every you two post I feel like I need to get my shit together.

Sucking up aside, I think the flash navigation leaves something to be desired. I'm sure its quite a bit less important than the general concept, but if you add a ton more stuff I'd consider adding another way to get to the objects than just shuffling through all of them.

I also agree about the blank feild, but would almost prefer simple sports marking, maybe rings to isolate a dude for extra points or something, or if you can hold a ring/clear a ring extra points. Or go the hockey route and slap some adds on that shit. Or the foot ball route and get the stadium name in there.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd agree on the stadium; everything else, as a concept, gels beautifully. But the stadium doesn't have much nearly as much 'design' going on. It sort of reads like a futuristic rugby field instead of a robotic gladiator amazing deathmatch zone. I think the architecture probably just needs more futurist flourishes.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gibs, it has become very apparent to me recently that I may need to consume your brain as well.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love the editor. With new colors and maybe some fancy sponsor stickers I'd be playing with it for days. Frankly the whole idea excites me a lot.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This idea reminds me very vaguely of Battle Angel Atilia. But, that's a good thing in my book. Not to mention you'll probably take this in a very different direction.

As a fan of your Locust series (and I'm sorry to see that be stopped...) I can't wait to see what you do with this.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That paper doll thing is so cool! Had you ever thought of including chick gladiators?

lyrium on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    This idea reminds me very vaguely of Battle Angel Atilia. But, that's a good thing in my book. Not to mention you'll probably take this in a very different direction.

As a fan of your Locust series (and I'm sorry to see that be stopped...) I can't wait to see what you do with this.

I was thinking more like Cyborg Justice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreMOqvexKw

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    I was thinking more like Cyborg Justice:

I can see the similarity... especially in the paperdoll "build your own" type aspect.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    win

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is seriously the most awesome thing ever. Great work, McG.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And don't change the arena at all. It helps drive home the concept that in the future gladiatorial combat is a civilized sport.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    gladiatorial combat is a civilized sport.

Oxymoron?

Nappuccino on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    :^: ........ :v: get it?

It didn't really hit me before, but I kinda dig the nice green pastures. It makes me envision a time where a sport such as this could be a nice family outing.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Actually, doing research on this project I would certainly say that roman gladiator fights is a 'civilized' sport. I wouldn't rank it any less then any modern sport. Aside from the fact that people and animals sometimes get killed, its very similar to say UFC or other forms of arena fights. Except its way more interesting.

Most movies and popular media would lead you to believe that roman bloodsport is essentially just a bunch of sweaty dudes with weapons in a sandbox hacking at each other until one of them dies.

In truth, gladiator fights were extremely organized events, with many different tiers and classes of fighters. Different types of gladiators were equipped with very specific armor and weapons, and usually fought only against thier counterpart class of opposite tactics (for example, a slow and heavily armored fighter would fight a quick but lightly armored opponent)
    Fights themselves usually ended when one fighter conceded, and only an estimated 1 in 10 fighters died during their career. If a gladiator was killed in combat, a large compensation must be paid to his owners, which increased with his value (an experienced gladiator was a huge asset)
    In fact, most gladiators had an estimated life-span longer then most normal citizens because they had access to good food, and excellent health care. Though technically slaves, gladiators earned prizes through fights, and were allowed to keep all their winnings. Successful gladiators were rich famous mofos, and could by their own freedom if they won enough fights.

Some places do gladiator reenactments, and they're very interesting to watch. If it was still around to day, I'd imagine it would be popular as hell. You dont get all worked up when a ufc fighter gets knocked out or a football player gets tackled. Its not much of a stretch from that to a guy getting cut with a sword.

4943ed2_lo.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sir, that is fucking awesome.

I want to crawl inside your brain and just hang out in there for a day now. It seems like a wondrous place.

yalborap on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Awesome and educational!

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The limited knowledge of gladiatorial matches I gained from Ancient History makes this all the more remarkable.

One point I'd like to make is that gladiatorial matches weren't confined purely to professional gladiators. Many wild animals, slaves and prisoners died for the sake of the entertainment of the crowd. It'd be cool if the matches could be shaken up a bit through the introduction of some similar elements. It might be a bit cliché, but I still think it'd be interesting if you threw a few genetic abominations in to the mix, or maybe have some rounds where instead of slaughtering each other the gladiators worked together to take on a larger force of convicts or the like. I also have to agree that the field looks a bit bland as flat grassland; some variation would definately be an improvement.

What you have already, though, is great, and I'm definately looking forwards to seeing more.

EDIT: Just gave your thread on CA.org a 5 star rating. You've earned it. ;-)

Flay on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A thousand curses upon you sir; this is fantastic work.

Grenn on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like the field for the same reasons that someone else listed against it. It doesn't feel very futuristic, but that's good. I think part of what made the concept (at least the one pic of the stadium) was that it looked like just another baseball game, except that there were cool cyborg gladiators instead! Anyway, I like the way the commonplaceness (!) of the field ties the rest of it into reality, so I say keep it.

On a side note though, that one guy made a good point, the every day matches between gladiators were perhaps not overly brutal, but if you figure in the special matches involving less valuable slaves and animals, then it really was a bloody past time.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So this is astounding. Honestly, if you could tie that little create-a-dude thing into a rudimentary rocks-paper-scissors-chainsaws-mace-lasergun text-based game, and just display your dudes standing on either side as you go "attack->left arm" I would probably pay money.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now i'm envisioning a future version of the massive naval battles they used to hold in the Coliseum.
    Awesome.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    TheJacksTheJacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've always preferred wide open fields with daylight for any fight scene. If this was a game I would much rather play in that green field than some gimmicky sci fi arena. Mostly because I have trouble seeing exactly what's going on if everything is dark and grainy. I want the focus to be on the characters and not the arena, like in the new Hulk movie where he beats the crap out of everyone in that field. That was great because I could see everything in broad daylight.

TheJacks on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I had a bunch of ideas for the arena stage, but got so sucked into the character designs I didnt really get around to fleshing them out.

Basically, I wanted to have a transforming field that could switch between a wide variety of different layouts for the different game-modes. The ground itself could change elevation to make hills or valleys, and different obsticals such as walls or blocks could pop out of the ground to add some variety to the terrain.
    Most of this stuff I figured would be used for team-sport game-modes sort of like a paintball field to allow for team dynamics.
    For 1v1 matches I figured a simple arena would be the best . Just two fighters and nothing else to get in the way.
    Larger "gimick" matches (like, 10 person free-for-all) could have some kinds of traps or something scattered around, but in general I wanted this to stay as "sportsman" like as possible, and less like the usual underground 'pit' fighting you usually see in this sort of genre (ala battlebots or thunderdrome)
    You don't see spike strips popping out of the ground in random places on an indy500 track.

I'll be fleshing out the actual gameplay mechanics next semester, but I made a bit of a list of possible gameplay modes:

1v1 (duh)
    Team fights (2v2 to 5v5 or something. Its all about balancing complementing gladiators to win)
    Battle Royale (huge free for all)
    Objective matches (capture the flag, king of the hill, soccer, etc etc. If its been made into a paintball type game-mode, it will probably fit here)
    Beast Fights (coop gladiators face off against cyborg animals, either a bunch of crappy ones, or a few really tough ones)
    Survivor fights (Same as beast fights, but with AI controlled gladiators instead)
    probobly more I forgot...

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's not so much that the stadium isn't futuristic enough, or epic enough, but that it's design isn't all that interesting. Real world stadiums for all kinds of boring everyday sports are getting pretty sci-fi these days.
    Cowboy-Stadium-Interior.jpg

SeahawkStadiumInterior.jpg

570ec7ec.jpeg

stadium.jpg

Not wanting to get hung up on the stadium, because it's still awesome. Just think it could stand to be awesomer. :P

edit: beat'd by the creator.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't decide if I'd like this more as a completely pure multiplayer experience, or if I think some sort of single-player tournament structure would be fun. I could completely see loving a little managing your gladiator team sort of sports-game spreadsheet.

As an additional mode though: AI vs AI. If this was a pretty enough game, I can totally see wanting to just toss in 10 gladiators and see them duke it out.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.