As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shutup and Let Me [PHOTO]

1262728293032»

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Her skin is fine, but I think it's been a bit too contrasted. There really wasn't anything wrong with it to begin with.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Definitely liked the last one the best. The expression is awesome. And if you take out the cold tone in the first one, I would probably like that one just as much (you could probably leave it in, just tone it down a bit).

I found some ducks.

aa-223.jpg

aa-203.jpg

aa-214.jpg

aa-270.jpg

aa-262.jpg

aa-205.jpg

An-D on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cheers guys, we ran out of time before we'd even setup so I'm glad I got anything at all. I'll bare in mind the stiffness of the pose; its something I wanted to try out but I guess that perhaps it doesn't go with the theme. Going to try again later in the week.

FM: I love that first shot, the second is so so.

An-D: I'd say the first is the strongest compositionally, although if the goose? had its head a little further to the left it would be better, then it wouldn't be white touching white.

Bionic: I'd say that the second to last is best composition, but the last is my favourite in terms of atmosphere.

no: the water tower looks lop-sided, but I love the look of concentration on that guys face.

Jake! on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    pope: I like the first shot better, the second's lines aren't as smooth and kind of break the flow of the image, otherwise the composition itself would have been pretty sweet.

Nostregar: It's pretty cool, but as said it's a little out of focus and I feel that the highlights are quite blinding.

CCow: Is that a long exposure at night? It looks pretty surreal (I like the clouds a lot) but the mountains could use...I dunno, something doesn't look quite right, but I don't think it's the contrast. Maybe it's to do with the weird light coming from the left as well (light pollution?)

nO: Man that first cat shot is brilliant. Makes you want to turn your own head to match his orientation. :D Also I like the tower shot, minimalism is awesome when done right and that is done great.

muninn: that shot looks really, really cluttered. Maybe you were going for a "ALL SORTS OF EQUIPMENT" feel but right now the whole image feels really compressed and forcibly cropped to me. Getting more of the rifles into the frame and simplying the SBO vest would work better imo. Also right now the top left/right corners of the image have blank spaces which are really distracting, which is why I think getting more of your elements into the frame would also be a benefit.

flyingman: That last architectural shot is great, reminds me a lot of Mirror's Edge for some reason.

And with that, I offer more aquarium shots? More of corals this time. Also trying not to use split toning in my B&W conversions.

dsc0005yt7.jpg

dsc0008bd4.jpg

dsc0009ay3.jpg

dsc0013rj2.jpg

BTW does anyone know of an easy, efficient way in PHP to dynamically assign border styles to an image based on its dimensions? So I could assign larger images to have larger borders and vice versa without adding too much to server load.

sonictk on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I totally love that shot of the water tower above. I've been pretty complacent with taking shots lately, got pissed because I couldn't pull the trigger and buy the camera or lens I wanted and wasn't happy with my D40. But took a few shots last night on a whim, this one is probably the best of them. I should note that the super bright light on the arm is from an LED in the foreground of the shot, and I couldn't tone it down without making the rest of the shot look weird.

3108470449_b4b45a87f8.jpg

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    sonictk wrote: »
    CCow: Is that a long exposure at night? It looks pretty surreal (I like the clouds a lot) but the mountains could use...I dunno, something doesn't look quite right, but I don't think it's the contrast. Maybe it's to do with the weird light coming from the left as well (light pollution?)

Yea it was a 90 second exposure at night. There was some light pollution because I was shooting over a city and cropped out the lights at the bottom of the frame. The mountains weren't as crisp as I would have liked but it was really windy and my tripod sucks so my camera was shaking a little bit even when using my body to block the wind.

Edit: I can't tell on my work monitor since it isn't calibrated well, but it looks like I might be able to bring down the blacks on the mountains to make it look less washed out.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    bionicbionic Washington StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The computer I have to work on at school doesn't have photoshop unfortunately, so there wasn't anything I could do about the veins. Perhaps when I'm home for winter break I can work on the original shot and try again :)

sonictk: how do you get aquarium shots that are so clear? I'm not sure if it's just the aquariums that I visit but there's never enough light and my shots always end up a bit blurry. Should I just bring my tripod?

bionic on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Go WCU

aa-0051.jpg

An-D on
  • Options
    bionicbionic Washington StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love the sky, it looks amazing!

bionic on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is Grifter around? It looks like it's time to start up a new thread!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dark_Side wrote: »

That's neat. I'd play a little with the reflection next time, too.

Oh, and just for the record, I has a 24mm 1.4L. :P
    This thing has a ludicrous DOF wide open.

needOptic on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    needOptic wrote: »

Is that what you were using for the bottle shot? Because that dof looks too perfect to not be shopped. :P

anable on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    anable wrote: »

Is that what you were using for the bottle shot? Because that dof looks too perfect to not be shopped. :P

Haha, my thoughts exactly. Freak'n amazing DoF.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Ha ha, yeah. When I posted that this morning I immediately was like, "damn...I wish I would have got more of the reflection of the cartridge on the vinyl.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3111342093_8ef8b4557d_o.png

Projeck on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    These are from my studio photography final. It seems like photobucket may have made them a little less vibrant. Oh well :-P

Shot with Fugi T64 slide film, 4x5 and 35mm

Canalopecopy.jpgTomatocopy.jpg
    Lettucecopy.jpgApplescopy.jpg

Limecopy.jpgonionleafcopy.jpggrapefruitcopy.jpg
    Turnipcopy.jpgSquash2copy.jpg

tomato2copy.jpgStrawberrycopy.jpgkiwicopy.jpg

Thylacine on
  • Options
    FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thy: I really need to build me a lightbox, these are fantastic shots.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thank you! :) I had a great time making them, lightbox or similar setup is worth it.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2008

How's the 5D?

bombardier on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thy, are those pressed up against some kind of glass?

I shot some sweet shots today - I think.... I gotta wait for the photos to be developed. Ahhh film.

Virum on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Love the citrus shot. You've lost some contrast here with the scanning - might be able to recover it in photoshop.
    anable wrote: »

Actually, no... that was the cheap ass 50mm F/1.8.

And this is the 24mm.

Brutally sharp, incredibly shallow DOF wide open, and very nice and wide on a full frame.
    I know I used to say that glass only matters so much, but this damn lens gives off so much depth all by itself.

This plus my 50mm and the 70-200 F/4L and I'm all set. I'll need to upgrade the 50mm to the F/1.4 in long term, the 1.8 is about to break.

Testing the lens at the office

IMG_8249web.jpg

IMG_8241web.jpg

IMG_8237web.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thylacine, I like them all. The last 8 are just gorgeous.

Jonis on
This discussion has been closed.