As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EvE General Discussion

• leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guys, guys, THERE'S AN APOC ON GRID AT 5-3!!!11!!1one!!2!

That node is well and truly fucked.

But no one thought to loot or salvage the wreck until I logged on and took it upon myself to do some housecleaning of the ghost wrecks around the pos. God a few decent mods.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • encloserencloser Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The c9n fight was painful, but it is a better than things were a year ago. The c9n fight is the worst conditions I have seen in this conflict. The near 1000 pilot fights in VNG were much more playable. Word from CCP is that there were 2000 pilots on the "node". When CCP improves things again, someone will eventually throw enough people at a node to find the new limit. And likely, us in Goonswarm, will be there.

encloser on
    EVE: Zane Rayez; CoX: Encloser;
    TF2/ETQW: [e]Encloser;
    encloser.png
  • TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah i figured we just found a new level of 'don't do that' like we always do. Wasn't GS the reason drones got restricted to 5 at a time and the source of the OHGOD and Bee's?

Trekkie on
    Eve Online: Zareph
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I see nothing wrong with a thorax having 5 heavy IIs, or a vexor having about ten :colbert:

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Looks like we're going old school. 8-)

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trekkie wrote: »
    yeah i figured we just found a new level of 'don't do that' like we always do. Wasn't GS the reason drones got restricted to 5 at a time and the source of the OHGOD and Bee's?

Not that I know of. Drones were restricted to 5 well before most Goons had enough skill points to make that an issue, and the fatbee was chosen in a logo competition (against Mothra).
    leaf wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with a thorax having 5 heavy IIs, or a vexor having about ten :colbert:

Or a carrier with thousands of warrior IIs :V

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hang.ukhang.uk Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    As a long term mmo player I have looking to get heavily invested in EVE for a long time. However the learning curve has always killed my enthusiasm for it.

After some research through threads like these and those on the something awful forums, goonfleet seems like good start for players interested in PvP and in particular geopolitical pvp.

I have applied for a place in goonfleet but I need a sponsor.

Are there any goons in here that can help me out and sponsor me? it would be greatly appreciated.

hang.uk on
    gamertag: NectarUK
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hang.uk wrote: »
    As a long term mmo player I have looking to get heavily invested in EVE for a long time. However the learning curve has always killed my enthusiasm for it.

After some research through threads like these and those on the something awful forums, goonfleet seems like good start for players interested in PvP and in particular geopolitical pvp.

I have applied for a place in goonfleet but I need a sponsor.

Are there any goons in here that can help me out and sponsor me? it would be greatly appreciated.

Due to the ongoing war the sponsorship cost has risen to 200m, so if you send the isk to Ethea I will be more than happy to be your sponsor.

Ethea on
  • BaudinBaudin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nice Ethea.
    hang.uk just join merchi if you're not new or a spy

Baudin on
    "These people bring a lot of rigor to our cause, but alas, also mortis"
    edited December 2008
    Baudin wrote: »
    Nice Ethea.

he has posted 4 times, 2 of them trying to get into eve corps.

Ethea on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ethea wrote: »
    Baudin wrote: »
    Nice Ethea.

he has posted 4 times, 2 of them trying to get into eve corps.

And that is what we call a spy. Also look at that post, are some of those words even words?

smokmnky on
  • HaVoKHaVoK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heya, I just signed up for a 14 Day trial along with two other friends. Been wanting to actually try eve for awhile once more, I did when it was in beta, aswell as a year or so ago.

But both times, I don't think I ever really gave Eve a fair chance. I never joined a corp or went below 0.5 sec space or even pvp'd. I believe I missed out on most of what eve has to offer.

I read the thread with the info about the merch in it over at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41564

Was going to post in it, but saw complaints of necro posting so I decided to try this more recent one.

In-game name is Echoplexd, I chose Gallente and SF to start (though I know it doesn't matter in the long run skillwise), on my second frigate, an Incursus outfitted with railguns. Was wondering if It'd be smart to check out the PA Merch corp before my trials up.

HaVoK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HaVoK wrote: »
    I chose Gallente and SF to start (thought I know it doesn't matter in the long run skillwise)

generally your starting race doesn't matter, but your stats do, as long as you didn't pump points into cha or something though you'll be ok.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • KorebanKoreban Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You should be fine. We're in the process of proofing a new recruitment post that will replace the 4 month old one and should go up this week (whenever Trekkie gets off his lazy ass and stops horribly blogging and ohgod post it already).

But, yes. Get yourself into MerchI. I'm going to take a line from the GoonFleet recruitment to describe it: There is EVE and there is GoonSwarm. These are totally different games.
    Spakkafish posted:
    Inside GoonFleet : I logged in, did the tutorial (much shorter than it used to be) and flew to a goon recruitment office. I started reading about the game on the GF wiki (amazingly helpful) upon acceptance into goonfleet a couple of hours later I got the call 'ALL NEWBIES JOIN THIS FLEET' within minutes I was on the other side of the galaxy, with a free ship and 10 million ISK to fit it. However I was so new to the game I didn't have the skills to fit it. A normal MMO 'party leader' would have said gtfo, or at the very least come back tomorrow. The GF Fleet Commander (Praetorius Rex you own) said 'fuck it come along anyway'. I took part in a space battle with no weapons and no ship modifications. I attempted to ram the enemy, I got blown the fuck up and it was fucking hilarious.

That's a day 1 newbie.

e: In Merch we give newbies 10m for showing up, 25mil for making a post on the forums and 'generous donations' for killmails of their losses of the free ships we also offer.

Koreban on
    edited December 2008
    I think I did okay on the skills part, maybe a little too rounded out. I ended up with 8 int 13 per 8 cha 8 will 8 mem. I could always remake a char if I decided to be serious about eve / buy it.

Going to look into joining the merch when I get on later in the night. Thanks, I don't expect any handouts though. That's rather generous.

HaVoK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I did okay on the skills part, maybe a little too rounded out. I ended up with 8 int 13 per 8 cha 8 will 8 mem. I could always remake a char if I decided to be serious about eve / buy it.

Going to look into joining the merch when I get on later in the night. Thanks, I don't expect any handouts though. That's rather generous.

It's not a handout, ask for the money don't be the guy that is too proud to ask for it. We all started small and really 10m isn't anything to an older member. Also not having money in this game sucks and we want are newbies to have fun on day one.

smokmnky on
    edited December 2008

Read and follow this page: http://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?title=Recommended_Base_Stat_Builds

If you are a min maxer at heart, you want Caldari Achura they are broken when it comes to skill training combat related skills.

Ethea on
    edited December 2008
    Allright smokmnky, I just didn't want to owe anything yet... :P I'd feel bad. But if it's nothing to an older member and I suppose it'd get me on my feet easier that'd be nice. So far I've been doing okay on money, I don't even think I could use that much or near it yet. The limitations are my skills at the moment. I'm sure that'll change fairly quickly.

Thanks!

I was looking at the Achura Ethea, but I ended up not choosing them because I'm silly and they looked funny.
    Reading that guide now.

HaVoK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Get in tackling frigates and come on ops. Sometimes you will just be camping a gate, but epic space battles are insanely common in this war and they are a lot of fucking fun even in a frigate since tackling is vital. There are even opportunities for solo glory by getting tackles on enemy ships trying to get around in the system away from the battle.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Snake101stSnake101st Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Im Havok's brother and am in pretty much the same situation, only I chose minmatar and have a Rifter right now with missile/rockets trained. Id love to try this game out (correctly, as in, not the way we tried it before) as well, possibly with a stealth bomber or something with a ridiculous amount of missiles, because I just love space missiles/torpedoes. Let me know what I have to do to get in on this.

I also have a friend that is trying it out, and another that may join in on the fun.

Snake101st on
    Snakesig123.gif
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Snake101st wrote: »
    Im Havok's brother and am in pretty much the same situation, only I chose minmatar and have a Rifter right now with missile/rockets trained. Id love to try this game out (correctly, as in, not the way we tried it before) as well, possibly with a stealth bomber or something with a ridiculous amount of missiles, because I just love space missiles/torpedoes. Let me know what I have to do to get in on this.

I also have a friend that is trying it out, and another that may join in on the fun.

If you want missles you probably want to fly Caldari ships, they're the ones in love with missles.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Snake101stSnake101st Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

If you want missles you probably want to fly Caldari ships, they're the ones in love with missles.

Yeah I realized that after making my guy. Ill probably just get the training for it, since its all the same anyways. Im thinking maybe a [Navy?] Raven. Or whatever you guys need. And does anyone have a recommendation they can offer to havok, myself, and possibly my friend to get our trials extended if we get really in to it?

Thanks, I appreciate it, and Im going to contact you ingame because in another thread you seemed to help people get in to the corp. Im mainly interested in the pvp side, not mining, if you couldnt tell.

Snake101st on
    Snakesig123.gif
    edited December 2008
    Allright, I got around to going to a Merch Industrial office and sent an application. Thanks for the help all.
    8-)

HaVoK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah I realized that after making my guy. Ill probably just get the training for it, since its all the same anyways. Im thinking maybe a [Navy?] Raven. Or whatever you guys need. And does anyone have a recommendation they can offer to havok, myself, and possibly my friend to get our trials extended if we get really in to it?

Thanks, I appreciate it, and Im going to contact you ingame because in another thread you seemed to help people get in to the corp. Im mainly interested in the pvp side, not mining, if you couldnt tell.

I can't actually help anyone get into the corp, I just help them make up their mind. :D I'm still a huge newb myself, just not AS new. I recently trained up Caldari ships so I'd have a bit more choice in what I can fly and flexibility in what I can do. Pretty much do whatever it is you want to do, if you want in on some pvp there's plenty of fighting going on and newbies like us are always welcome.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The biggest thing I had trouble with in EVE is realizing that everything is delayed gratification. Especially flying ships. It takes awhile to train the skills and they are expensive at first.

It's not so much the skills to get into the ships, it's the skills to not lose it once you have it. Figure out what you wanna do in the game, and set your goal. Then work to that goal and before you know it, you'll have it. But damn does it seem slow while doing it.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • encloserencloser Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. I went through a phase this spring where I only logged on to change skills. Now that I have most of my fitting and support skills to solid levels it doesn't take so long to get into a new ship. In fact I have more toys than I know what to do with right now. I feel like I am still learning how to be good in Inties and Covops and already have Assault ships to lose and will be able to fly an Interdictor soon. It is getting that solid base of general skills that is an awful grind.

encloser on
    EVE: Zane Rayez; CoX: Encloser;
    TF2/ETQW: [e]Encloser;
    encloser.png
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So they're offering a 5 day reactivation pass on some inactive accounts.

Screamline on
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Who's the CEO of Merch right now?

And the web portion of the 5 day free pass is FUBARed so I'm still waiting on mine.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »

Deadtear

Gnomeland Security on
    edited December 2008

Deadtear

You're fucking kidding me.

Bryse Eayo on
  • deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Deadtear

Why would he do that?

deadtear on
    edited December 2008
    deadtear wrote: »

Deadtear

Why would he do that?

It just shows how long it's been since I last logged on. Who's in charge of recruitment now?

Bryse Eayo on
    edited December 2008
    It just shows how long it's been since I last logged on. Who's in charge of recruitment now?

Reverend Maynard

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CheeksCheeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, I'm on a trial right now and would love to join the Merch corp, but have no idea where to find you all.

My in game name is Grolondar, any help you guys could give me would be awesome

Cheeks on
    edited December 2008
    Cheeks wrote: »
    Hey, I'm on a trial right now and would love to join the Merch corp, but have no idea where to find you all.

My in game name is Grolondar, any help you guys could give me would be awesome

Open up the in-game information for Merch Industrial, there should be a list of available offices. Many of them are in highsec.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hey can someone see if i'm still part of merch industrial? i got a 5 day reactivation and i'm heavily considering it, but if i'm in the middle of goon space and not in the alliance i think i may die a terrible death

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited December 2008
    hey can someone see if i'm still part of merch industrial? i got a 5 day reactivation and i'm heavily considering it, but if i'm in the middle of goon space and not in the alliance i think i may die a terrible death

Nope, you were booted about 8 months ago. Hopefully you have a jumpclone in highsec, or moved your main there, before going inactive.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Janin wrote: »

Nope, you were booted about 8 months ago. Hopefully you have a jumpclone in highsec, or moved your main there, before going inactive.

bwahahahaha not at all. maybe i won't be coming back

hell i might not even be docked, i don't remember

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited December 2008

Unless you're in a mothership with +5s or something, just log in. Worst that can happen is you get shot.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Unless you're in a mothership with +5s or something, just log in. Worst that can happen is you get shot.

If you're in a station, though, can't you just wait to be let in?

I am also tempted by the 5 day pass.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
This discussion has been closed.