As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead : "2009 is the year of the log"

• capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I don't necessarily see that as an exploit, and the propane tank won't always be there regardless. You've also got the other 3 infected potentially on the other side of you when the tank spawns in versus, so it won't necessarily be that easy to set up.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Reagan wrote: »
    I've seen people tell of there very high hunter jumps. Is there a trick to this? i.e. can you steer when in midair?

You can steer a little when pouncing. Obviously the longer distance you are jumping the more room for mid air movement there is.

Hunter is so satisfying to land a high damage pounce with. Conversely landing inches away from a survivor can bring about languid cries of anger.

A totally sweet update would be the ability to talk to the survivor you have pinned/snarled up in your tongue. I'm sure someone has thought of this already, if not here at PA then elsewhere on the internets, but I'd really like to see it.

Campy on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Why do people whine, and not just look up an equally effective counter-tactic online, like from other people who are really expert at whatever game? Does this kind of resource not exist, because L4D is a relatively new game?
    Considering that the whole point of the game is to survive, I really can't understand how people can be getting so pissed about this. I mean, if you and three other people are outnumbered a hundred to one by tireless bloodthirsty pissed-off-as-all-fuck mutants and you hear the collective scream of said hundreds of TBPOAAFMs as they come ripping for your position, what are you going to do? You're going to get your butts in the most defensable positions you can get yourself into, which in most cases happens to be a closet or a room with only one enterence.

Considering just how easy it is for a closet defense to go to hell during a finale and considering just how much of a small part of the overall game the finales play, I just don't see how people can get so worked up about this.

EDIT: GAH. I totally forgot to go and Rasterbate all those pictures I wanted to posterize before leaving college. Shit. :(

EDIT: And what's with those lights? That's not blinding, that's a god damn nuclear reaction going on in those flashlights.

Surviving should feel like an achievement. Who would watch a zombie movie where the survivors just melee the whole time?

I think it's very telling that every survivor's first reaction is to melee - every single time - hell, watch people who get smoker'd, they will instinctively melee first.

Basically, it's not fun completing every single level as survivors. It's not fun finding health packs everywhere. It's especially not fun squatting in a closet with the right mouse button taped down.

Why not make it difficult to survive? Why not make it really fun. Like a zombie movie, make the survivor's chances really low. Instead, half-decent teams will finish the level almost every time.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    me roland minty and wsdx were a pretty vicious zombo team yes night. Boomer bile for 2 mins nonstop? Yes please

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm thinking about picking this up for Xmas, are a lot of 360 people here playing it?

Pemulis on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Campy wrote: »

A totally sweet update would be the ability to talk to the survivor you have pinned/snarled up in your tongue. I'm sure someone has thought of this already, if not here at PA then elsewhere on the internets, but I'd really like to see it.

Oh good grief no!

The last thing I want is some twelve year old screaching and swearing in my ear whilst he "makes me his bee-atch", and whatever other colourful phraseology and witty repartee they currently employ at volumes exceeding 140 dB.

subedii on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder if it'd be possible to set up a series of propane tanks in a chain reaction to stagger a tank an amusingly long way before dropping him off the edge.

Kay2 on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    I wonder if it'd be possible to set up a series of propane tanks in a chain reaction to stagger a tank an amusingly long way before dropping him off the edge.

Could probably test the theory in G-mod I suppose. Sort of like all the Rube Goldberg vids you see everywhere.

subedii on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    After telling my brother I'm getting him a ps3 for christmass, he decided to get me this:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2260wm.htm

L4D never looked so good.

Meiz on
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Oh good grief no!

The last thing I want is some twelve year old screaching and swearing in my ear whilst he "makes me his bee-atch", and whatever other colourful phraseology and witty repartee they currently employ at volumes exceeding 140 dB.

Consider the idea burned and defecated upon.
    marty wrote: »
    me roland minty and wsdx were a pretty vicious zombo team yes night. Boomer bile for 2 mins nonstop? Yes please

Someone on my team in that game was sat under the radio building as a boomer for pretty much the entire finale puking and then hiding. Good times.

Campy on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Surviving should feel like an achievement. Who would watch a zombie movie where the survivors just melee the whole time?

I think it's very telling that every survivor's first reaction is to melee - every single time - hell, watch people who get smoker'd, they will instinctively melee first.

Basically, it's not fun completing every single level as survivors. It's not fun finding health packs everywhere. It's especially not fun squatting in a closet with the right mouse button taped down.

Why not make it difficult to survive? Why not make it really fun. Like a zombie movie, make the survivor's chances really low. Instead, half-decent teams will finish the level almost every time.
    Do you even play on Expert man? Try Blood Harvest on Expert and try to get an achievement or two out of it.
    Seriously I have plenty of difficulty in this game still, depending on who I'm teamed up with of course, but either way still pretty decent.

Also, melee works but not when you're getting uber uber rushed.

Reasons not to melee all day:

1 - After a while the zombies that get close tend to just swipe real fast and without recognition.
    2 - Boomers can usually walk by the doorway/entrance you're meleeing and probably vomit/blow up next to you. This leads to more zombies heading your way and the chances of them hitting you (and you possibly shooting teammates).
    3 - You can't do it in every situation so for you to do it more than 4-5 swings in a row is unnecessary and opens the gap between you and the horde of zombies around you.

I know melee is easy and usually works, but it also fails sometimes and it can be quite boring.

I think the one main reason why I don't abuse it, is you end up usually getting shot by your teammates while running in there and meleeing everything. This now creates an obstacle for your teammates and they can't support you with suppressing gun fire while you dance around punching zombies. I've seen a whole party wipe because 2 guys were meleeing their brains out and ended up getting incapped from one of the teammates behind him from him walking backwards + ducking + melee. It made his head bob up and down slightly, went in front of the guys cross hairs.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    ...and propane and gas cylinders. In fact there are exploits that run off of this:

On another topic.

I've seen people tell of there very high hunter jumps. Is there a trick to this? i.e. can you steer when in midair?
    Most of it's from the 2nd or 3rd combo jump you do after a "wall jump".

Pounce up into the air, aim at a wall, once you make contact (crosshair will go red and you can feel the bump) look directly away from the wall so you can imagine your feet and back against the wall. During all of this, continue to hold down duck and click fire to repeat the wall jump. This can be done infinite amount of times. The trick is getting it down so fast that the survivors can't even kill you when jumping around them.

PS: Meiz: I hate you. I'm getting crap for Xmas cause the economy sucks and no one (including me) can afford xmas presents this year. gg bush.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Last night a team of friends and I massacred a pub team 6241 to 252 on No Mercy Versus. All four of us made it to the safe room with no less than two extra health packs each time; it was hardly a challenge for us to survive as we were drowning in healthpacks and throwables.

The director ought to balance those two variables so that a good team sees almost no medpacks, less pills, and less throwables. I'm sure we're all guilty of seeing a room full of pipe bombs and spamming the extras willy-nilly.

Tank and witch spawns should be changed to reflect the effectiveness of their location; we now Valve can track this sort of data as they showed us the color-coded fatality maps from TF2. Why not balance the tank and witch spawns in this fashion? Classify positions by "fatal" (likely to kill at least one survivor outright), "incap" (likely to incap at least one survivor), or "safe" (unlikely to either kill or incap a survivor). If one teams gets a tank spawning in a "fatal" position, than the other team ought to get a tank spawn in the same spot, or at least in another "fatal" position.

/rant off

Gaffero on
  • Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ...and propane and gas cylinders. In fact there are exploits that run off of this:

On another topic.

Pounce up into the air, aim at a wall, once you make contact (crosshair will go red and you can feel the bump) look directly away from the wall so you can imagine your feet and back against the wall. During all of this, continue to hold down duck and click fire to repeat the wall jump. This can be done infinite amount of times. The trick is getting it down so fast that the survivors can't even kill you when jumping around them.

Alternatively, just find a high spot on a roof and pounce in an arc down on the survivors. No Mercy 1, 3, and to a lesser extent the finale are great for this. I've found the wall-jumping route to be unreliable.
    Gaffero wrote: »

Last night a team of friends and I massacred a pub team 6241 to 252 on No Mercy Versus. All four of us made it to the safe room with no less than two extra health packs each time; it was hardly a challenge for us to survive as we were drowning in healthpacks and throwables.

The director ought to balance those two variables so that a good team sees almost no medpacks, less pills, and less throwables. I'm sure we're all guilty of seeing a room full of pipe bombs and spamming the extras willy-nilly.

Doing this would invalidate the entire versus playing field. Versus is competitive, Valve has to maintain some level of consistency between the two team's play-through of a map. If they decided to give one team pipebombs, molotovs, and medpacks every 10 feet because they were doing bad you might as well just stop taking score. The AID makes each team's play-through slightly different, but the players must make the biggest difference for the game mode to work.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in versus now both teams get the same location for level 2 weapons and tank/witch spawns are in the same general location, say within a 30 foot radius? That has been my experience on all my recent versus games.

An auto-handicap is a bad idea for versus. The only way I'd support it is if there was an option to turn it off serverside.

Job_41:25 on
    edited December 2008
    Every vs. game I've been in has had the tank spawning in pretty much the same spot. To the point where if you're playing infected second you can plan ahead to have all specials spawning along with the tank.

I reckon the only reason Valve put the score in versus is to give you some reason to get to the safe room in the best condition possible. In campaign you don't need this mechanism as you have your health for the next level to think about. So basically everyone should stop worrying about 'winning' and have a super awesome fun time instead.

Campy on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every vs. game I've been in has had the tank spawning in pretty much the same spot. To the point where if you're playing infected second you can plan ahead to have all specials spawning along with the tank.

I reckon the only reason Valve put the score in versus is to give you some reason to get to the safe room in the best condition possible. In campaign you don't need this mechanism as you have your health for the next level to think about. So basically everyone should stop worrying about 'winning' and have a super awesome fun time instead.

Usually I get similar tank spawns, but last night there was a game where the other team got two tanks and we had none.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This comic is completely relevant to the thread.
    d37942b62ebb3b60b8057fd700e5d1f4_h.jpg

So what do you think the zombies in Left 4 Dead represent? Personally, I think that the zombies in Left 4 Dead represent modern vices. You've got steroid-abusing Tanks, gluttonous Boomers, people who smoke, emos who lash out at society and people who wear hoods. Okay, I don't really know what Hunters are supposed to represent.

Sol Invictus on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Important note for steering in midair:

This is highly correlated with the source engine's midair movement system. If you go play surf maps on Counter-Strike or even Team Fortress 2 for a while, you'll figure it out. It all has to do with what directional movement button you're holding at the same time as using the mouse to get where you want.

Think of it kind of like midair strafing. It takes practice, but you can get huge hunter jumps much more easily.

You can also slow your movement while flying through the air while holding the backwards key. If you think you're about to over-shoot your target, just hold it down, and you might be okay.

If I knew how to make videos and post them, I would try and make a tutorial, but alas, all I can do is pounce for 25, not make profit. :(

Icemopper on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

So what do you think the zombies in Left 4 Dead represent? Personally, I think that the zombies in Left 4 Dead represent modern vices. You've got steroid-abusing Tanks, gluttonous Boomers, people who smoke, emos who lash out at society and people who wear hoods. Okay, I don't really know what Hunters are supposed to represent.

Chavs

Imperfect on
  • Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »

Chavs

Makes sense. They always came off as chavs and hoodlums/thugs. It's pretty satisfying to send them flying off into space with the blast of a shotgun.

Sol Invictus on
    edited December 2008

PS: Meiz: I hate you. I'm getting crap for Xmas cause the economy sucks and no one (including me) can afford xmas presents this year. gg bush.

Sorry to hear that dude.

I didn't know about that wall jump thing. I'll have to practice some to try to get it down. Is there like a mecha site with all this info?

Meiz on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Walljumping is really only potentially useful on part of No Mercy 1, and then only to confuse/distract the survivors. I've never really seen anyone intentionally pounce from a walljump.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
    edited December 2008
    Walljumping is really only potentially useful on part of No Mercy 1, and then only to confuse/distract the survivors. I've never really seen anyone intentionally pounce from a walljump.

It is extremely useful in other areas where you have a poor view of the survivors. You can basically leap into view, then wall jump directly down, doing much more damage.

Also, you can wall jump when the survivors aren't around to get to ridiculously high places. You can leap a pretty far distance, and doing that back and forth between buildings can get you places you're not exactly supposed to be, but nowhere that is an exploit.

Icemopper on
    edited December 2008
    How much does the melee attack do to survivors anyways?

Sometimes you have a team that has their shit together and there's seldom/never one that strays away from the other.

Meiz on
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure it does 10, but somebody said 20... not sure about that entirely.

So if you have a good leap lined up, take that, but in areas with no good distance, go for scratching.

Icemopper on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Do you even play on Expert man? Try Blood Harvest on Expert and try to get an achievement or two out of it.
    Seriously I have plenty of difficulty in this game still, depending on who I'm teamed up with of course, but either way still pretty decent.

Also, melee works but not when you're getting uber uber rushed.

Reasons not to melee all day:

1 - After a while the zombies that get close tend to just swipe real fast and without recognition.
    2 - Boomers can usually walk by the doorway/entrance you're meleeing and probably vomit/blow up next to you. This leads to more zombies heading your way and the chances of them hitting you (and you possibly shooting teammates).
    3 - You can't do it in every situation so for you to do it more than 4-5 swings in a row is unnecessary and opens the gap between you and the horde of zombies around you.

I know melee is easy and usually works, but it also fails sometimes and it can be quite boring.

I think the one main reason why I don't abuse it, is you end up usually getting shot by your teammates while running in there and meleeing everything. This now creates an obstacle for your teammates and they can't support you with suppressing gun fire while you dance around punching zombies. I've seen a whole party wipe because 2 guys were meleeing their brains out and ended up getting incapped from one of the teammates behind him from him walking backwards + ducking + melee. It made his head bob up and down slightly, went in front of the guys cross hairs.

hi I was talking about versus, sorry to cause you so much rage

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I don't necessarily see that as an exploit, and the propane tank won't always be there regardless. You've also got the other 3 infected potentially on the other side of you when the tank spawns in versus, so it won't necessarily be that easy to set up.

Looks a bit lame to me. It means if there's a propane tank around nearby the survivors completely negate the tank. Placing a propane tank with 4 survivors around and 15 seconds of setup time is easier than you think, even with other infected. I could see it being fair if they have to lug the propane tank a ways just to prepare for that possibility, but if there's just one sitting around it seems quite unfair to the tank.

As for walljumps, if there's a survivor in a room melee-ing, I'll often jump behind them, then pounce off the wall onto their head/back.

Hunter swipes do 10 damage and can hit multiple targets. Smoker/Boomer swipes do 2 damage and can hit multiple targets, Tank swipes do 24 damage and can only hit one target.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited December 2008
    Heres a simple wall jumping tutorial, pretty simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJL0b9yibbM

I'm gonna see if I can find a good leaping tutorial, maybe for in air steering?

Icemopper on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

On another topic.

? Does the pounce damage stack up to 25 from doing walljumps?

Zek on
    edited December 2008
    I've read claims that wall jumping resets the damage counter, you cannot thusly add damage to what you would have previously done.

It seems that the damage from a leap is based on the distance from point A. Pouncing origin, to point B. Survivor location. The difference from A-B is the damage, in a way.

I think I'll try and write up a quick guide if I can.

Maybe later?

Maybe now?

We'll see.

Icemopper on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    To steer your pounce, just look in a direction. However looking in a direction will only push alter your trajectory a bit; it won't act like the leaps in Natural Selection where you're always moving wherever you're looking.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Melee is bloody essential as well as all kinds of awesome. Grab a molotov and punch that hunter to death!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can also "wall jump" from ceilings. I don't know when that would ever be useful, but it's possible.

BionicPenguin on
    edited December 2008
    How to hunt for brains: A guide to the Hunter: Left 4 Dead: Kill the Survivors: Part IV

Important note, you do not want to just walk up to a mans and pounce, most especially when he is next to other mans, that does not do anything. Pounce on mans from far away if you're pouncing at all. You don't want to pounce if you don't have a good distance to travel, and you could otherwise just walk up and smack them a bit. If a dude gets left behind, especially behind a wall or something, pounce that foolish sucka, and rack up some damage.

Heres some simple videos showing how to play hunter better than just pouncing on mans.

Use this to get cool places, and scare the poop out of survivors pants. Word has it that this does not add damage together, so if you're going for a 25 damage pounce, do it from a distance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJL0b9yibbM

This video shows how to get in the right position for maximum damage on a pounce. Note: Damage is calculated on distance from A: Hunter's initial pouncing location, to B: Position of survivor. Leaping up really high doesn't do anything, might as well leap directly at the dude.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlAz3UG1lN0

Changing midair trajectory: Watch the first little bit of this video (Oh noes it isn't L4D!) and you'll get an idea of how to change where you're going to land. Then just practice it a lot, it does take time to learn, but it becomes second nature quickly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KQXA-4bKy0
    You cannot go around corners or anything like that, but if your target moves to the right a bit, you can screw them over and hit them anyway. In surf games you can go in complete circles while in the air... that is completely not the case here. You are much more limited.

I hope this is somewhat decent, I don't have time for much more, but it might be a little helpful to people just starting off, or not sure what the hunter does, or something. I'm not saying I'm good, these are not my videos, and I just love pouncing on dudes.

Please feel free to comment and edit this, I'm not 100% sure about much of it, and I could most definitely be plain wrong.

Icemopper on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey if anyone does a Christmas mod, I must absolutely insist that the Tank look like this:

3115456359_e8fc96f004_o.jpg

Had a couple of good expert rounds last night with MightyPotatoKing, Stryker, and CarbonFire. You guys absolutely rocked it last night. I only have Blood Harvest left to go for my "What are you trying to prove?" achievement. This may be the first game I get all the achievements on. I lose interest after awhile but this game brings me back for more so getting achievements doesn't feel like work.

Edit: I don't link pictures good.

El Guaco on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Untouchables and Nothing Special.

D:

edit:

I have the Lamb 2 Slaughter achievement in game but not on my steam page. This is odd.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited December 2008
    I didn't realise that the hunter pounces obeyed CS surf style rules? This will up my infected game tenfold.

Campy on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't realise that the hunter pounces obeyed CS surf style rules? This will up my infected game tenfold.

Only a little bit, you don't get nearly as much air control as in other HL/Source games.

Zek on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy crap the OP is festive. Must have taken some time for sure.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197