As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND 2: Use the new thread

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    Installing games to the HDD pretty much just shortens the install times for most games. Some more so than others.

So yeah, fat paycheck this weekend means I'll finally pick up RB2 drums with the 3 cymbal pack.

I knew that. I just didn't think it'd be as advantageous in Rock Band 2 as say, Fallout 3 or Fable 2.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you like 3 second load times, it's a substantial improvement.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just liked to point out that rather than list all 300+ downloadable tracks, I'm pruning the OP of the eye-sore and putting in a Google spreadsheet I'm maintaining. Check it out here.

I'll be adding more info for the tracks, such as difficulty tiers and album info.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't feel it improved load times all that much, but YMMV. Maybe I'm just impatient.

Voxtar is awesome. I did it for the first time the other day with Carry On Wayward Son and crushcrushcrush. It was sweet. Then I tried it on some songs that I didn't know by heart and... it didn't go so well. :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wait wait wait

when did Carry On Wayward Son become DLC

why didn't you fuckers tell me

edit: cancel that I don't have RB2 yet

YaYa on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Uh that's a RB2 disc song

FyreWulff on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I took advantage of the wicked sweet TRU sale today and snagged myself the 360 version. I'd only ever played GH3, generally on medium. RB2's boring as shit guitar parts on medium are making me learn how to play with all five buttons, and I think Harmonix lept over a step in the difficulty curve from medium to hard. Fuck is it difficult. I love the idea of the solo buttons on the Strat, but they're a real pain in the ass to actually use. And I still can't nail the timing for the quick repeated single note runs (I'm looking at you Jimmy Eat World).

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    thread title needs a change because of:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1076306

RB2 SE + $25 gift card at Toys R Us for $110 (360 or PS3 versions)

WalMart and some other stores are price matching

MrDelish on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kay. The Mad Catz bass is awesome.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, finally grabbed Bandages.

I like it, but (A) It kicked my butt, and (B) They left out the chorus before the first verse (maybe time constraints?) Still highly entertaining, I'm going to try and get better at it. <3 that song. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I just got it at Walmart yesterday. It is glorious. This is the first time I've actually owned Rock Band or Guitar Hero. I was kind of disappointed that they didn't price match the gift card, but oh well. I got a copy of the PS3 version to eBay to make up the difference since they had like twelve in stock.

Mai-Kero on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, I just saw at Best Buy that the GH:WT Guitar + game bundle is $80 while the RB2 Strat is $71. I really really really want to get a new guitar.

WHATEVER SHALL I DO

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just exported my RB1 disc finally and holy fuck is there a lot of music now :D

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    thread title needs a change because of:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1076306

RB2 SE + $25 gift card at Toys R Us for $110 (360 or PS3 versions)

WalMart and some other stores are price matching
    Holy shit. Can you use the card on that deal? I've been wanting a guitar for pissing around with the PC guitar games for a good while but couldn't finnd any sweet deals.

Sorenson on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, I just saw at Best Buy that the GH:WT Guitar + game bundle is $80 while the RB2 Strat is $71. I really really really want to get a new guitar.

WHATEVER SHALL I DO

GHWT game and guitar are shit.

I want some more stuff from the Replacements (one of my favorite bands ever)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBVkSpsCLnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8CGnj6tCBc

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    McCly wrote: »

WHATEVER SHALL I DO

My plan was to sell the game immediately afterward for Gamestop preorder monies. Is the guitar that bad?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you liked the LP from GH3, I'm sure you'd like the GHWT Guitar.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    McCly wrote: »

WHATEVER SHALL I DO

My plan was to sell the game immediately afterward for Gamestop preorder monies. Is the guitar that bad?

I'm sending mine back (I got the guitar bundle off amazon for 70 bucks) because

A: the strum bar is like nails on a chalkboard

and

B:the RB2 one is WAY better.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I preferred the Xplorer over the GH:WT guitar.

FyreWulff on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't tried the GH:WT guitar yet, but the RB2 Strat is the guitar that finally got me to put down the Xplorer.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    GH:WT Guitar is my personal favorite guitar, despite the eye-sore useless touch pad.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My RB2 Strat's regular buttons work exactly like solo buttons for tapping in solos and BRE's. I would miss that "feature". And the effects switch. I need to try the pedal-for-overdrive thing.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Using a pedal for overdrive is glorious. It has made a huge difference in being able to maintain streaks for me, and feels very rock & roll.

The drum pedal isn't the best choice for a switch, though, if you have a choice; the spring and angle are more awkward than a simple, flat footswitch.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited December 2008
    There was a GH:WT setup outside of the concert I went to and the guitar felt...ok but the clickyness just annoyed me.

The drums were broken or uncalibrated.

Arikado on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really like what little time I've had hands-on with the GHWT guitar; it's like the love child of the Strat and the Les Paul. If I ever saw it for cheap, I'd pick it up, but money's real tight now anyway. :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So the GHWT guitar is better than the Rock Band 2 guitar? I was leaning towards the RB2 guitar since I'm used to the RB1 guitar and it has the sensors for the delay calibration. (Also the touch pad on the GHWT guitar seems kinda worthless, and I'm not a fan of the gaps between the frets.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Auto calibration pwns joo.

Especially if you're like me and moving your RB2 gear constantly and every damn TV has their own lag value.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited December 2008
    Get the RB2 Strat.

Kor on
    edited December 2008
    So I have a question for those of you cymbal users, and RL drum players.

As I understand it, the Cymbal configuration for the RB2 drums would be Yellow hihat above the Red Snare. Green Crash above the Blue Tom. Blue Ride to the Right and Behind the Green Tom.

Now, as far as I can tell, that would be the closest config to an actual drum kit.

My question is about the Crash and Ride. HMX designed the Drum kit with the blue pad on the inside of the green. So I'm partially afraid that I should keep the Ride cymbal on the inside because its going to be reflected that way when I'm actually playing the songs. Having played with just the hihat and Crash, I can say there are plenty of times that reaching to the far right as frequently as I would need to might seem awkward, but I just don't know if its something I'll get used to, or if I should just aim for the HMX pattern.

Hmm, am I making sense?

I'm asking because my Ride cymbal is suppose to show up this coming Monday.

My question

Kor on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just liked to point out that rather than list all 300+ downloadable tracks, I'm pruning the OP of the eye-sore and putting in a Google spreadsheet I'm maintaining. Check it out here.

I'll be adding more info for the tracks, such as difficulty tiers and album info.

If you're gonna link to somewhere off-site you might as well let somebody else do the work: http://www.djcardshark.com/rbsonglist/rbmaster.htm
    Kor wrote: »
    So I have a question for those of you cymbal users, and RL drum players.

As I understand it, the Cymbal configuration for the RB2 drums would be Yellow hihat above the Red Snare. Green Crash above the Blue Tom. Blue Ride to the Right and Behind the Green Tom.

Now, as far as I can tell, that would be the closest config to an actual drum kit.

My question is about the Crash and Ride. HMX designed the Drum kit with the blue pad on the inside of the green. So I'm partially afraid that I should keep the Ride cymbal on the inside because its going to be reflected that way when I'm actually playing the songs. Having played with just the hihat and Crash, I can say there are plenty of times that reaching to the far right as frequently as I would need to might seem awkward, but I just don't know if its something I'll get used to, or if I should just aim for the HMX pattern.

Hmm, am I making sense?

I'm asking because my Ride cymbal is suppose to show up this coming Monday.

My question

Yes, your ride is usually farthest right and your crash(es) are above your toms usually. However for RB it's really hard on your brain to set it up that way. Training your brain to play the pads out of order would be way more hassle than it's worth IMO... I just set up my ION with the green cymbal on the far right and the blue one above the blue tom.

midgetspy on
  • stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Another drum question:

I'm currently playing Hard Drums, with the occasional attempt at Expert. I do pretty well on most songs on Hard, but stepping up the Expert tends to really kick my ass. Particularly on a lot of the quick kick double-taps.

How the heck do people pull off those double-taps with the stock pedal? I've tried figuring out the heel-toe double tap method, but it's just not happening on my stock (RB1) kick pedal. Any tips that don't involve semi-expensive mods or after-market pedal replacements?

stratslinger on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm seriously debating getting this RB2 special deal for my mom. She just got a PS3 recently, and she always makes my wife and I bring my 360 + drums + guitars + mic over to play it. This is time consuming.

Argh, such a great deal, WHY MUST I HAVE NO MONEY???

Also, my mom bought me my second RB2 Strat with the warranty from Best Buy. I need to look into this. The one she bought me has some piece of plastic rattling around inside of it, and the Back button needs to be pressed VERY hard for it to work. This does not make OD activation easy at all. I'm thinking it should be returned. But I'm also wondering how this warranty works, because my other RB2 strat seems to be a little twitchy on the downstrum, and the orange fret is hard to press. I may need to return both and get two new ones. Of course, I might feel bad doing this (not really), and the Strat I use has been broken in nicely with the fret buttons.

Fawst on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Another drum question:

I'm currently playing Hard Drums, with the occasional attempt at Expert. I do pretty well on most songs on Hard, but stepping up the Expert tends to really kick my ass. Particularly on a lot of the quick kick double-taps.

How the heck do people pull off those double-taps with the stock pedal? I've tried figuring out the heel-toe double tap method, but it's just not happening on my stock (RB1) kick pedal. Any tips that don't involve semi-expensive mods or after-market pedal replacements?

Yeah I've never been able to figure out if that heel-toe stuff is even possible on a RB pedal or if that's just for real drummers. Anyway, this is a way to detailed explanation of how I do them. Probably not the correct way, but...

- I start by having the ball of my foot resting on the pedal, pedal pressed down, heel up in the air. This is "heel up"
    - I move my whole leg up (by using my quad but also by kinda throwing it in the air with my foot) and point my foot (at the ankle... this goes along with the "throwing in the air" part)
    - I bring my leg down and the ball of my foot hits first for the first kick
    - I then un-point my foot (bend at the ankle, making my foot more horizontal) which lets the pedal up. (my leg is still moving down but my foot comes up quicker than my leg goes down)
    - my leg then lands on the pedal, foot flat, and I bring my heel up to keep playing.

I can kick pretty quick like this (FC'd Lump, for example) but this makes triple kicks really hard since after the whole leg drop thing I'm really not in a good position to throw a 3rd kick in there.

midgetspy on
    edited December 2008
    Another drum question:

Practice?

Really, I don't think theres a much better answer for you.

I've been slowly progressing thru my entire cataloge on expert drums lately and I know for me, the pedal is the thing that mostly comes over time.

Other things like rolls up the kit or complex tom/cymbal jumping I can throw into practice mode and figure them out.

But using that kick pedal for more complex stuff just sorta came with time.

I still hate doing songs that hit the bass 3 notes then rest consistantly, but I've found I can actually do it most of the time now. Whereas before I was chosing to miss one because my foot wasn't hitting it right anyway.

edit: for a long time what I did was use the ball of my foot for the first beat and then use my big toe for the 2nd. I still find that my foot naturally does this once in a while.

Kor on
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Keep your heel up, and practice?

EDIT: I just throw my leg down two or three times really quick.
    I don't keep the pedal pressed down.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like I've got the technique down then - I'll just keep banging away at it.

Interestingly enough, I was playing RB1 with a buddy a few nights back, and Welcome Home came up. This was the first song that I remember, in hard drums, having to quit and go into practice mode for quite some time to figure out how the patterns worked. I haven't played it in months now, and I basically sight-read a 5 star performance out of it. I guess I must have improved at least a little bit!

stratslinger on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For the cymbal question, I think I might have posted it earlier, but I have it set up like the on the chart. I initially tried it with the ride on the far right as you described, but my brain would keep messing it up, so I switched it back pretty quickly. Just easier that way in my mind.

Zaylenz on
    edited December 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »

If you're gonna link to somewhere off-site you might as well let somebody else do the work: http://www.djcardshark.com/rbsonglist/rbmaster.htm

It's not much work for me and his sheet is a fucking pain to look at for me. I like to keep it simple.

Arikado on
  • MorganMorgan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It's not much work for me and his sheet is a fucking pain to look at for me. I like to keep it simple.

Yeah that other spreadsheet is a fucking eyesore.

Morgan on
    Erandus is a douchebag
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Installing games to the HDD pretty much just shortens the install times for most games. Some more so than others.

So yeah, fat paycheck this weekend means I'll finally pick up RB2 drums with the 3 cymbal pack.

The smart money would be on following your titles advice.
    Morgan wrote: »

Yeah that other spreadsheet is a fucking eyesore.

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

On a less serious note, Wal-Mart has informed me to go pick up something. :?

Shady3011 on