As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix Instant View, 360 and You

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here are the HD movies:

http://www.netflix.com/WiHD

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    30 Rock wasn't showing up for me as playable on the 360. Is it a true 1:1 for movies accessible via Instant View being available on the 360?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    30 Rock wasn't showing up for me as playable on the 360. Is it a true 1:1 for movies accessible via Instant View being available on the 360?

If it isn't, it'll say something like Title Currently Unavailable on Xbox 360 in the notes when you add it. But I think all those movies got pulled from the service altogether.

It should be playable. It showed up for me the last time I checked.

freakish light on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Primer Visual Timeline:

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guys. I come to you with news.

There is a movie, not on instant (unfortunately), but I think many of us would enjoy. Since I'm sure everyone is at LEAST doing one DVD at a time. The movie? A Boy and his Dog. It's an oldie, but goodie. Seriously look into it, especially if you like post apocalyptic movies. And womens. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Little Dieter Needs to Fly
    As a young boy, Dieter Dengler watched as Allied planes destroyed his village; from that instant, he knew he wanted to fly. At 18, he moved to America, enlisted in the Navy and was promptly shipped to Vietnam. During one of his first missions, however, Dengler was shot down over Laos and taken prisoner; although he escaped and returned home, the experience still haunts him. Werner Herzog directs this affecting documentary.

This is the documentary about the guy that Rescue Dawn was based on. Same director for both films. I have not watched either yet, but this one is in my queue. I've only heard good things about it.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here's one for you sinners: The Gospel of John is pretty interesting, as it takes something that reads so blandly and turns it into a visual not-so-bland version of it. The challenge of this movie was that it takes the Gospel of John word for word from the good book and uses it for a script. Inflection, dramatic pausing, and passable acting do wonders for the Jesus-man story and there are some really clever transitions and editing used to make it flow almost like an actual movie. Oh, and highly recommended viewing for the hedonistic secularists sinners that frequent this [strike]wretched hive of scum and villiany[/strike] forum.

Speaking of editing, The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing, I hear is a great documentary on movie editing. I've only made my way through the first bit, but it will give you a new way to watch and appreciate movies and finally answer my question of "What the hell does an movie editor really do?" Made me feel like I was in film school.

Speaking of new appreciation, Scratch will blow your mind and open it up to the world of turntablism. I used to think how easy it must be spinning a vinyl record and making it do all that scratchy noisy shit. Hell, I did it with that Fisher-Price farm animal spinner thing when I was 6. Scratch that, I do it with my contorted face and fingers while I frik-a frik-ee my way to social leprosy and I'm 26! Anywho, this neat documentary is rich with culture and the evolution of music; whether you enjoy the hippity hoppity or not, Scratch is tremendous and you will finally know Herbie Hancock, like any cool cat should.

TacoMan on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Six wrote: »
    Not all movies are available in HD. As far as I can tell, there's no way to tell which ones are or are not until you actually start the stream.

The HD quality is decent but not great.

30 Rock looks to be about 720p.

Raw resolution is only one measure of quality.

The compression on these is so high that the benefit of being in HD is muted. It seems to be a little worse than the 360 HD downloads, which weren't great to begin with.

It's nice to have a higher-quality option, and it's better than the non-HD stream, but it's not as good as other HD sources, especially bluray or HD-DVD.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    30 Rock is really great once you get about 6 episodes in. It's solid until then, but unspectacular except for Baldwin who is always great. I say this about the show even though I almost completely hate Tracey Morgan.

Same here. Watching the show from the first episode makes it easier to understand his character, but he's still annoying as all hell. The show would be better if there was simply a void where that character was.
    Not all movies are available in HD. As far as I can tell, there's no way to tell which ones are or are not until you actually start the stream.

The HD quality is decent but not great.

30 Rock looks to be about 720p.

Raw resolution is only one measure of quality.

The compression on these is so high that the benefit of being in HD is muted. It seems to be a little worse than the 360 HD downloads, which weren't great to begin with.

It's nice to have a higher-quality option, and it's better than the non-HD stream, but it's not as good as other HD sources, especially bluray or HD-DVD.

30 Rock via Netflix on 360 looks pretty good to me. I'm not that picky about compression, even though I really can notice it now on the new TV, but whenever I can get it to stream in HD I think it looks pretty good. It easily looks as good as it does during a live broadcast, and it appears to me that Comcast compresses the HD broadcasts of local network stations less than the cable channels.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm not saying the HD streaming through Netflix looks bad, but it's not great.

And yeah, the quality of the live broadcast is going to vary wildly by provider.

Six on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    nlawalker wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Gizmodo had a writeup about HD streaming for the 360 via Netflix. It actually says "Presented in HD" on the screen when you're loading it if it's an HD film. There are something like 300 titles available in HD, but they don't tell you until you're actually loading. Also, you need a connection of 8mbps to get the full-on HD stream, apparently. The reviewer said his connection maxed out around 5mbps, so he was in their "second tier" quality-wise... *shrug*

I've managed to get a full 4 bar HD stream for a few episodes of 30 Rock, but I always lost it within the first couple of minutes.

I had the same problem until I moved my wireless router closer to my 360, so if you're using wireless that may be the problem.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ...it appears to me that Comcast compresses the HD broadcasts of local network stations less than the cable channels.

Very true, and when Comcast compresses, boy do they compress. The Daily Show is tough to watch sometimes. I think its avforums or something that has subforums dedicated to the cable networks, and not only does Comcast use excessive compression, they really do not offer as many HD channels as Dish. Comcast's commercial's claims include their On-Demand programs.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ...it appears to me that Comcast compresses the HD broadcasts of local network stations less than the cable channels.

Very true, and when Comcast compresses, boy do they compress. The Daily Show is tough to watch sometimes. I think its avforums or something that has subforums dedicated to the cable networks, and not only does Comcast use excessive compression, they really do not offer as many HD channels as Dish. Comcast's commercial's claims include their On-Demand programs.

Interesting. When you say Dish, are you referring specifically to Dish Network, or does that also include DirecTV? I've always just had cable and it's worked out alright, but I'm not very educated on Dish or DirecTV.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Interesting. When you say Dish, are you referring specifically to Dish Network, or does that also include DirecTV? I've always just had cable and it's worked out alright, but I'm not very educated on Dish or DirecTV.

Maybe I am thinking DirectTV. Its the competitor Comcast targets in their More HD commercials.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, DirectTV's HD picture isn't very good honestly. Better than SD, obviously, but not nearly as good as Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah, DirectTV's HD picture isn't very good honestly. Better than SD, obviously, but not nearly as good as Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

DirecTV's picture depends entirely on whether you have an updated converter box that supports mpeg4.

Six on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

DirecTV's picture depends entirely on whether you have an updated converter box that supports mpeg4.

Got mine 3 years ago. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, I didn't think very highly of Fido. I thought the movie was better before I actually sat down to watch it. I just found myself getting bored with the movie after watching the set-up.

Okay, here's a few suggestions for you:
    Being There - Directed by Hal Ashby (Harold and Maude) and starring Shirley McClane and Peter Sellers, it's the story of mistaken identity when a simple man is brought into the home of a wealthy and powerful man. (I'd also recommend adding Harold and Maude and Lord Love a Duck to your DVD queue.)

Kill Your Idols - A documentary comparing and contrasting the 80's No Wave scene in New York and the latter day New York bands influenced by it. Includes interviews with Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Liars, Lydia Lunch, Michael Gira and Jim Thirwell.

Chain of Fools - Starring Steve Zahn, Jeff Goldblum, Salma Hayek, David Cross, Elijah Wood. Not a great movie, but fun to watch. Is only in 4:3, though.

Little Shop of Horrors - Starring Rick Moranis and Steve Martin. Great musical, this movie pretty much defines my sense of humor.

Tears of the Black Tiger - A Thai Western/Romance that has it's tongue planted firmly in cheek. Absolutely beautiful.

Defending Your Life - Albert Brooks stars in, writes and directs this comedy about life after death. With Meryl Streep and Rip Torn.

I also second suggestions for Dead Like Me, Grosse Point Blank, and Life is Beautiful

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    MisterGrok wrote: »
    Okay, I didn't think very highly of Fido. I thought the movie was better before I actually sat down to watch it. I just found myself getting bored with the movie after watching the set-up.

Okay, here's a few suggestions for you:
    Being There - Directed by Hal Ashby (Harold and Maude) and starring Shirley McClane and Peter Sellers, it's the story of mistaken identity when a simple man is brought into the home of a wealthy and powerful man. (I'd also recommend adding Harold and Maude and Lord Love a Duck to your DVD queue.)

Kill Your Idols - A documentary comparing and contrasting the 80's No Wave scene in New York and the latter day New York bands influenced by it. Includes interviews with Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Liars, Lydia Lunch, Michael Gira and Jim Thirwell.

Chain of Fools - Starring Steve Zahn, Jeff Goldblum, Salma Hayek, David Cross, Elijah Wood. Not a great movie, but fun to watch. Is only in 4:3, though.

Little Shop of Horrors - Starring Rick Moranis and Steve Martin. Great musical, this movie pretty much defines my sense of humor.

Tears of the Black Tiger - A Thai Western/Romance that has it's tongue planted firmly in cheek. Absolutely beautiful.

Defending Your Life - Albert Brooks stars in, writes and directs this comedy about life after death. With Meryl Streep and Rip Torn.

I also second suggestions for Dead Like Me, Grosse Point Blank, and Life is Beautiful
    Being There is a great movie.

Boondock Saints is available too. Everyone needs to see that.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Boondock Saints? No shit. Man... Everyone add that right now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nobody's Fool is a great Paul Newman flick if you havent seen it.
    Pee Wee's Big Adventure is on there.
    Dancer in the Dark if you're up for a soul crushing musical.

They also have Ghost In the Shell SAC and 2nd Gig

akajaybay on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you're going to bring out The Thing just for Kurt Russell, better put Big Trouble in Little China on that list. And Death Proof, though that wasn't as widely adored.

Plus Tango and Cash. Best buddy cop movie.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    jefe414 wrote: »
    If you're going to bring out The Thing just for Kurt Russell, better put Big Trouble in Little China on that list. And Death Proof, though that wasn't as widely adored.

Plus Tango and Cash. Best buddy cop movie.

Get those sons of bitches!

urahonky on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Are we even talking about Netflix anymore in here?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Bah got my hopes up. Tango and Cash isn't even on instant. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can reinforce the Boondock Saints suggestions - in fact I'll probably end up watching it again, too (still haven't gotten around to picking up a copy).

I watched that Cutting Edge documentary a couple of weeks ago, and it is indeed fascinating. Having grown up steeping myself in film industry culture and landing the occasional film crew gig, I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the process, but the documentary still opened my eyes quite a bit. Definitely worth a watch if you're interested in behind-the-camera stuff.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Silas wrote: »
    Someone needs to say The King of Kong again.

Again, because it is awesome. Even my non video gaming friends loved it.

solsovly on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Boondock Saints was terrible. Everyone should avoid it and just watch 30 Rock instead.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Is...it on Netflix?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bah got my hopes up. Tango and Cash isn't even on instant. :(

Really? Must be off the rotation these days :(

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Is...it on Netflix?

Yeah Boondock Saints is on the instant watch on Netflix. Works on the 360 :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    Boondock Saints was terrible. Everyone should avoid it and just watch 30 Rock instead.

Is this for serious? Boondock Saints was a good movie.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuzz wrote: »

I liked Boondock Saints, mostly because of William Dafoe.

I had never seen 30 Rock prior to Netflix on XBox, and it's now in my top 5 favorite shows.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    boondock saints is alright.

so the 360 streaming... it's good? I tried Lock, stock, and two smoking barrels for about two minutes the other night and it looked awful and wasn't widescreen.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    so the 360 streaming... it's good?

Depends almost entirely on your connection. I get DVD quality on most things I watch, and near 720p on the HD stuff I watch.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I loved Boondock Saints when I was in Junior High, but I just watched it the other week and man...what a godawful movie. It's so relentlessly retarded and hamfisted.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No kidding. But I'm also the type that enjoys almost every movie I see. In any case, the speech in the courtroom at the end brings a smile every time. Plus these:

"And shepherds we shall be,
    For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti."

"...there was a FIREFIGHT!"

BTW, I have found Netflix streaming to be perfect for those situations where you just want a movie on in the background while you're doing something else. "Hmmm, let's see what's available on instant," and then a couple of clicks later, it's streaming on my TV. Love it.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    so the 360 streaming... it's good?

Depends almost entirely on your connection. I get DVD quality on most things I watch, and near 720p on the HD stuff I watch.

Same with mine, excellent quality and HD content looks great. I'm on a pretty nice cable connection.

My friend has some cheap DSL service with a fairly low cap on speed. The quality isn't very good on his (1-2 bars on the netflix indicator). Content is about SDTV quality with that type of connection.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No kidding. But I'm also the type that enjoys almost every movie I see. In any case, the speech in the courtroom at the end brings a smile every time. Plus these:

"And shepherds we shall be,
    For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti."

"...there was a FIREFIGHT!"

BTW, I have found Netflix streaming to be perfect for those situations where you just want a movie on in the background while you're doing something else. "Hmmm, let's see what's available on instant," and then a couple of clicks later, it's streaming on my TV. Love it.

Also gave me this song (which is one of my favorite driving songs)

Very NSFW I guess. Also NSF people who don't like yelling/screaming/metal/hard stuff/cursing.. Yeah.

Bleeding Through - Love Lost in a Hail of Gunfire
    But really, the movie is so campy it's awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Nobody's Fool is a great Paul Newman flick if you havent seen it.
    Pee Wee's Big Adventure is on there.
    Dancer in the Dark if you're up for a soul crushing musical.

They also have Ghost In the Shell SAC and 2nd Gig
    and Solid State Society, the SAC film.

but all only with the awkward english dub

Sam on