As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phalla VIII/SignUps Closed/ Start Date Set

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    The council idea in Rishiri didn't quite come off, but the point was to set up a special position to which any villager could aspire.

The idea had some kinks.
    It was the narration and the setting that set Rishiri apart for me. It's possible that the Lovecraftian one was as good, but the evil monsters always eat me.

I'm harmless, you jerkface fiends from beyond the dark abyss!
    Bullshit you are. :P

Elendil on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    The council idea in Rishiri didn't quite come off, but the point was to set up a special position to which any villager could aspire.

The idea had some kinks.
    It was the narration and the setting that set Rishiri apart for me. It's possible that the Lovecraftian one was as good, but the evil monsters always eat me.

I'm harmless, you jerkface fiends from beyond the dark abyss!
    Bullshit you are. :P

Dyna.

Sugarlumpkins.

I've never ordered you eaten.

You were always such a great fall man that it seemed a waste.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I proclaim this the greatest Phalla ever.

We must all bring our best game to be worthy of it.

Playing this phalla ennobles the heart, sharpens the mind and exhaults the spirit; the words fall away leaving only light.

Shinto on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Dyna.

Sugarlumpkins.

I've never ordered you eaten.

You were always such a great fall man that it seemed a waste.
    I know you haven't. I don't blame you. People get all pissy when I call them stupid fucking idiots when they're being stupid fucking idiots. I'm not sure what that's all about.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rishiri was totally awesome except for the part where I got us all killed.

I like to think the Lovecraft Phalla made up for it, as I was supposed to kill everyone that time.

Elendil on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Richy's was fun but the monster's were so totally fucked in that one. How was Kusu's and RBB's?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Rishiri was totally awesome except for the part where I got us all killed.

I like to think the Lovecraft Phalla made up for it, as I was supposed to kill everyone that time.

The common thread being that you and I were responsible for the death of the villages. :P

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Richy's was fun but the monster's were so totally fucked in that one. How was Kusu's and RBB's?
    We secretly made everybody a special. I don't know what the players thought of that.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    We secretly made everybody a special. I don't know what the players thought of that.
    I think everybody was very happy until they died, at which point they realized their role wasn't quite as good as they had hoped.

Well, that was my experience anyways. And it certainly made things more interesting for everybody.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I was curious about the titles. They all seemed to involve Kusu fucking up in some fashion.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I was curious about the titles. They all seemed to involve Kusu fucking up in some fashion.
    That only happened ten, maybe twenty times.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:

It was interesting, but having the one throwaway role (furriner!) made it a little challenging to figure out what to do for the first couple of days.

In the end I tried (and failed) to convince outed Commies that I was a sleeper agent while telling the fibbies that I would help them. They were gracious enough to let me live for a day while I tried. :/

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:

That was the one where I was the neutral illuminati society right? Yea, the commies sucked in that one.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It was really interesting for me, since I was not only in the CIA but also one of the mole's contacts. Getting outed by Bad Kitty was probably the best thing that happened to me in that game, as it gave me a huge amount of credibility and let me get in contact with several other people. That, and it let the remaining two CIA officers keep their heads down.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Saburbia wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

That was the one where I was the neutral illuminati society right? Yea, the commies sucked in that one.

They were winning at one point, but they had some bad luck.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    That sounds complex. There might not even be any rules in this one!!!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:

In that case...

I call my side wins!

Smasher on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

In that case...

I call my side wins!

Yeah, uh, too bad. I touched the opposite pole prior to your declaration.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Saburbia wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Mainly they screwed me over and themselves that last day is why Im saying they sucked :P.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's pretty easy to get killed in Phalla. Also, any side that wins has a tendency to attribute it to their own genius. Hell, look at Shinto's mini-ones and the reaction to the mafia victory in New York. I'm going to try to not hold it against anyone that called me stupid or crazy...but the Gods may not be so kind.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Saburbia wrote:
    Saburbia wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Mainly they screwed me over and themselves that last day is why Im saying they sucked :P.

I blame visiblehowl. I put him in touch with all the sleeper agents, and he promptly did nothing with them.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Less than 24 hours away. Start thinking about what role you'd like to be. It just might happen. Or maybe it won't!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My friend, I am a method actor. If I am to play the part of a villager, I first require plane tickets to Romania, a hut, and a herd of no fewer than 14 goats.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm going away for a couple of days, but I should be back before sign-ups are over.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Saburbia wrote:
    Saburbia wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

I blame visiblehowl. I put him in touch with all the sleeper agents, and he promptly did nothing with them.

Yeah, although to a certain extent we had no real reason to try anything fancy. I mean, there were still 6 of us left at that point (not including the sleeper agents, etc.) and none of our names were being discussed at all amongst the villagers. At 2 kills per day, it seemed like all we had to do was sit back and kill villagers while trying to remain inconspicuous. Then the vigilante managed to knock off one of us two nights in a row, and Kakos got voted off. Which would still have been salvageable if I hadn't gotten the bright idea that Cass was the vigilante and sent in orders to kill her and werehippy (who was being protected or something). Turns out she was some kind of weird one-shot "anybody who targets Cass gets killed", and werehippy had something similar.

Not to mention, Casual Eddy forgot to send in orders to release Premier Kakos from jail, which would have been invaluable. And I, of course, neglected to tell Casual Eddy that gundam470 was the last remaining commie. Or something. It was weird.

In retrospect, we should have been building alternate plans, but it's easy to get complacent when it looks like the odds are stacked in your favor. Sure, we screwed up in some places, but we had some pretty shitty luck towards the end there.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I had a blast as a secret service agent, until Aroduc set me on fire for no reason. The way the mole idea worked within the CIA and Secret Service made even the smallest actions really interesting, at least for me. I loved that everyone was a special, too--great + fun way to get everyone involved.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd definitely like to give this a try. Seen some of the previous games, but never taken part. Should be interesting...

Sepah on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Saburbia wrote:
    Saburbia wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Yeah, although to a certain extent we had no real reason to try anything fancy. I mean, there were still 6 of us left at that point (not including the sleeper agents, etc.) and none of our names were being discussed at all amongst the villagers. At 2 kills per day, it seemed like all we had to do was sit back and kill villagers while trying to remain inconspicuous. Then the vigilante managed to knock off one of us two nights in a row, and Kakos got voted off. Which would still have been salvageable if I hadn't gotten the bright idea that Cass was the vigilante and sent in orders to kill her and werehippy (who was being protected or something). Turns out she was some kind of weird one-shot "anybody who targets Cass gets killed", and werehippy had something similar.

Not to mention, Casual Eddy forgot to send in orders to release Premier Kakos from jail, which would have been invaluable. And I, of course, neglected to tell Casual Eddy that gundam470 was the last remaining commie. Or something. It was weird.

In retrospect, we should have been building alternate plans, but it's easy to get complacent when it looks like the odds are stacked in your favor. Sure, we screwed up in some places, but we had some pretty shitty luck towards the end there.

Bolded part demands a huge :D

I was the CIA agent who went crazy at the end of that game. Managed to knock off two of you in a row and then, somehow, get enough people talking about how Cass is a vouched for special that one of you (Funky?) sent in the kill for her instead of me, which worked out nicely since I didn't have any protection at that point and I was the last CIA agent active.

Overall, that game was great, though the last third or so was really inactive on the villager's side, though I think you commies still had a network going.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm going away for a couple of days, but I should be back before sign-ups are over.
    You've got a spot reserved. Don't worry about it.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    It's pretty easy to get killed in Phalla. Also, any side that wins has a tendency to attribute it to their own genius. Hell, look at Shinto's mini-ones and the reaction to the mafia victory in New York. I'm going to try to not hold it against anyone that called me stupid or crazy...but the Gods may not be so kind.

To be fair, I was calling you crazy because I wanted the village to vote you off and I could continue my reign of terror uninterrupted :)

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I totally noticed your suspiciousness but, man, the village, they do not listen to me.

Also...

LightningTucsonAZ.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Yeah, I totally noticed your suspiciousness but, man, the village, they do not listen to me.

Also...

LIGHTNING

The problem with that was you didn't name me until I'd called you out, and then you named EVERYONE who called you out. The next day WereWulfy came out as the last FBI agent and gave me enough legitimate cover that the other mobster and I managed to stretched things out long enough to win.

I can't take credit for that win though, tux did all the heavy lifting on that one. He got wulfy to trust him, then the village in general to do the same. At any point after I opened my big mouth and came after you the village could have, and should have, come after me and I would have deserved it for being such a dumbass.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm awake for a moment, so sign-ups are on now.

Don't worry about being left ouf, you might still get to participate.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I'm awake for a moment, so sign-ups are on now.

Don't worry about being left ouf, you might still get to participate.

Noon my ass.

But, I !sign up. Huh. After seven pages I'm the first one. :p

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up

This has to be the best Phalla ever or I'll be dissapointed.

Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If there's still space I !sign up.

Leitner on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

This should be fun. :P

TehSpectre on