As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BarbieGirls.com: PA Group! (or use the other Rock Band thread)

ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
Arikado on

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a second kick pedal?

A coworker of mine is an electrical engineer, and he is now determined to create a headphone splitter that lets both bass pedals work normally. :P

Do these things already exist?

From what I hear (and someone else can confirm it I think) is that the Rock Band drum pedal works like a switch so if you hold one pedal down, you won't be able to activate the other. In contrast, it's been found out that the GH:WT drum pedal works as an input, so having two pedals should work fine without any issues. A headphone splitter should work without any issues.

As far as extra bass pedals go, Best Buy sells these which are pretty decent, I hear.

Arikado on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think they're missing out on a whole *bucket* of money by not providing DLC for the Beatles. At 2 bucks a song, at 30 songs you're hitting the price of a brand new game (aka the most they can likely charge for a standalone Beatles game), and if there's only 30 songs in the standalone I would think people would be disappointed. Just my opinion at least, now that I'm browsing through the OP again with the new thread starting up. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The title should be Use the Old Thread

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    From the last thread.

Does anyone know where I can get a second kick pedal?

A coworker of mine is an electrical engineer, and he is now determined to create a headphone splitter that lets both bass pedals work normally. :P

Do these things already exist?

Or you can skip the electric trigger pedal and get a real one. This is what I am looking at doing. Just use a double base pedal on the roland kd 8.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-KD-8-Kick-Trigger-Pad-102561560-i1141807.gc

http://rockbandkickbox.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

corin7 on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I finished my Tier 3 songs on expert drums over lunch.

Which currently puts me at 207 songs finished.

I'll begin to tackle the Tier 4 songs on Saturday when the wife is off to work again. :P

I've gotta say, how the fuck is a drummer supposed to do the ESL? After about 2 hours, my ankle gets kinda squishy and less responsive. I don't know how anyone could handle 6 hours of progressively harder songs on that shit.

edit:

@ Arikado.

I thought the headphone splitter doesn't work because if one pedal is down the 2nd pedal is disabled?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited December 2008
    I think they're missing out on a whole *bucket* of money by not providing DLC for the Beatles. At 2 bucks a song, at 30 songs you're hitting the price of a brand new game (aka the most they can likely charge for a standalone Beatles game), and if there's only 30 songs in the standalone I would think people would be disappointed. Just my opinion at least, now that I'm browsing through the OP again with the new thread starting up. =)

True, but who really needs the money? Surely not the Beatles and their respective estate holders.

Arikado on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is that discount only for the US? I'm probably sure it is :(.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

This assumes that the reasons for a standalone Beatles game has nothing to do with negotiating for the rights to their music. I'm sure HMX already realises that they could simply make it into DLC since the base platform already exists. So this must mean some other reason for the decision. Maybe the rights holders demanded it or maybe HMX really wants to create a keyboard peripheral that wouldn't necessarily work in Rock Band.

Also, I believe the expectation is to have more than 30 songs in the game.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'll begin to tackle the Tier 4 songs on Saturday when the wife is off to work again. :P

I've gotta say, how the fuck is a drummer supposed to do the ESL? After about 2 hours, my ankle gets kinda squishy and less responsive. I don't know how anyone could handle 6 hours of progressively harder songs on that shit.

edit:

@ Arikado.

I thought the headphone splitter doesn't work because if one pedal is down the 2nd pedal is disabled?

In case you missed it: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=8250416&postcount=2457

You're right about the splitter, it works but only if you let one pedal up before pressing the other (not realistic).

About the ESL, 2 of the top 10 drummers on scorehero are going to do a "Drum Hell" session where they will score duel each other on every single rock band song released... in a row. Every one. 500+. D:

Arikado in the OP you mention that the Ion drum brain is $100+... do you have an URL for that? The only places I can find it in Canada it's like $400 :-|

midgetspy on
    edited December 2008
    Aye, I definitely believe it's not HMX's decision... I guess I'm just being a little selfish, as I'd like to have Beatles songs (A) Right now instead of Q4 and (B) integrated into RB2 instead of on their own. =)

VThornheart on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what's up with two songs missing from the No Doubt pack?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aye, I definitely believe it's not HMX's decision... I guess I'm just being a little selfish, as I'd like to have Beatles songs (A) Right now instead of Q4 and (B) integrated into RB2 instead of on their own. =)
    We don't know specifically whether or not they will be exportable/importable into the RB engine.

Arikado: I don't think it's obvious enough what the link is to the Google spreadsheet. I had expected the word 'here' to be the link (or something) and not the title. Maybe touch that up?

Also, can the spreadsheet be sortable? The default page is not specifically noted for being sorted by release date and the sub-pages are only done by song title.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »

edit:

@ Arikado.

In case you missed it: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=8250416&postcount=2457

You're right about the splitter, it works but only if you let one pedal up before pressing the other (not realistic).

About the ESL, 2 of the top 10 drummers on scorehero are going to do a "Drum Hell" session where they will score duel each other on every single rock band song released... in a row. Every one. 500+. D:

Arikado in the OP you mention that the Ion drum brain is $100+... do you have an URL for that? The only places I can find it in Canada it's like $400 :-|

Thanks for the links.

I suppose there really isn't enough of a demand out there to mass produce these or anything. :P

Plus, I didn't think about how the GHWT Drums function.

Oh well, atleast I'll have my own personal one.

Now just to find another kick pedal for it.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited December 2008

Yeah looks like you're right. I remember getting all that info from Ion's site and it is listing the drum brain as a Alesis DM5 professional Drum Module which shows up at $359.99 on their website and the lowest I've seen that module priced at is $280 on a quick Google search. I recall seeing the default drum brain being around $100-120 back when Ion's site was taking orders, perhaps it changed or maybe I made a boo-boo.

I dunno what the compatibility is with that module but I do know that several E-kits are able to use that module and many others just fine.

Arikado on
    edited December 2008
    We don't know specifically whether or not they will be exportable/importable into the RB engine.

Oh... the info on it made it sound like it was going to be entirely its own thing. If it was something you could bring into RB2, that would be cool. That way you could put it into choose-a-sets and all the other RB2 features. I prefer to have just one central repository to go to for all of the music that I want to play. =)

VThornheart on
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Remember how IGN was in love with WT for the Wii?

Well not anymore!

Homestar Gunner on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

You plan on doing some real drumming with your IONS midgetspy? You can probably find a cheap used Roland TD-3 for less than 300 on ebay or something if you are patient.

quovadis13 on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    quovadis13 wrote: »

You plan on doing some real drumming with your IONS midgetspy? You can probably find a cheap used Roland TD-3 for less than 300 on ebay or something if you are patient.

Yeah I just want to be able to jam out to MP3s and stuff in my basement, or with my friend and his guitar. I'll look into the TD-3, thanks.

midgetspy on
  • toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well not anymore!

that's awesome that they were able to make it a lot closer to the PS3 and 360 versions. hopefully the wii people will be happy now....hopefully...

toolbert on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well not anymore!

If only it weren't so expensive, I would get this for my friend and his family.

Shady3011 on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    toolbert wrote: »

Well not anymore!

that's awesome that they were able to make it a lot closer to the PS3 and 360 versions. hopefully the wii people will be happy now....hopefully...

The Wii-only folks deserve it, after being boned by RB1. I only wish this had come sooner. Part of me feels a twinge of regret, seeing as how Rock Band was ultimately what caused me to buy my 360, but I've had so much awesomeness from it from RB and otherwise that it's water under the bridge now.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • dabichodabicho Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When you write :
    North American Rock Band 2 release dates:
    Wii & PS2 - OUT NOW
    UK/Euro PS3 & Wii - December 2008
    Do you actually mean it is available at a store already?

addendum.
    for the wii, in NA, I mean

dabicho on
    wii code: 7010-3939-4467-0035
    Xbox 360: LovedWheel60
    3ds: 3609-1043-0230
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    toolbert wrote: »

Well not anymore!

The Wii-only folks deserve it, after being boned by RB1. I only wish this had come sooner. Part of me feels a twinge of regret, seeing as how Rock Band was ultimately what caused me to buy my 360, but I've had so much awesomeness from it from RB and otherwise that it's water under the bridge now.

It wasn't much of a loss, I played RB1 World Tour a total of like.. 2 times.

FyreWulff on
    edited December 2008
    dabicho wrote: »
    When you write :
    North American Rock Band 2 release dates:
    Wii & PS2 - OUT NOW
    UK/Euro PS3 & Wii - December 2008
    Do you actually mean it is available at a store already?

addendum.
    for the wii, in NA, I mean

Typo, supposed to be Dec 18th for NA, i.e. tomorrow. :P

Arikado on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It got BotP'd in the now dead thread, but I felt it was significant news so I'll repost it:

An Incubus Fan Letter thing from Brandon Boyd came into my inbox an hour or so ago. While the band is on haitus, he announced that Spring 2009 they will release "Incubus Greatest Hits".

If this is not the perfect Rock Band tie-in, I don't know what is.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd be fine with just an Incubus 5 pack.

Anna Molly
    Deep Inside
    Megalomaniac
    Stellar
    Wish You Were Here

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does anyone know if there's a way to hook up a proper electronic drum kit to the PS3 for use in Rock Band? I've got a buddy who has a kit and he's willing to lend it to me as he has no space in his apartment for his kit, with even less space soon as he's getting married.

I have no idea what kind of kit he has, but he tells me it has a USB adapter.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited December 2008
    Does anyone know if there's a way to hook up a proper electronic drum kit to the PS3 for use in Rock Band? I've got a buddy who has a kit and he's willing to lend it to me as he has no space in his apartment for his kit, with even less space soon as he's getting married.

Any more info about the drum set would be great. But, if it is a real electic drum set with a MIDI out, then you have a couple of options to connecting them to Rock Band.

The first is to get the GHWT drum set since it was designed with a MIDI in. You can just literally plug and play after you set the drums to the proper channel. I dont think the drums are being sold separately yet so you will have to buy the whole kit to get the drums.

The second is to make your own black box. There are some sites that show you how to build a box. It will probably cost more than buying the game unless you have a bunch of the extra electronics components at home. Also, you will have to cannabalize an existing Rock Band drum set. And you will have to do it all yourself. I did it this way before GHWT came out and although it was fun, a plug and play box would probably be better.

But if the drums cant do MIDI out, then I dont think there is a way to do it.

quovadis13 on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr Bubbles on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Any more info about the drum set would be great. But, if it is a real electic drum set with a MIDI out, then you have a couple of options to connecting them to Rock Band.

The first is to get the GHWT drum set since it was designed with a MIDI in. You can just literally plug and play after you set the drums to the proper channel. I dont think the drums are being sold separately yet so you will have to buy the whole kit to get the drums.

The second is to make your own black box. There are some sites that show you how to build a box. It will probably cost more than buying the game unless you have a bunch of the extra electronics components at home. Also, you will have to cannabalize an existing Rock Band drum set. And you will have to do it all yourself. I did it this way before GHWT came out and although it was fun, a plug and play box would probably be better.

But if the drums cant do MIDI out, then I dont think there is a way to do it.

Sooooo... I would have to buy GH:WT, plug the electric drum kit into the GW:HT drumkit, plug the GT:WH drumkit into the PS3, and then turn on Rock Band so I could use the electronic drum kit?

Not happening. Ever.

But I have just called up my friend and he has informed me that it is a Roland TD-6 drum kit. The TD-6 is the control module and the drums are apparently called V-Drums. And it does have MIDI out. Does that make a difference at all?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited December 2008
    Sooooo... I would have to buy GH:WT, plug the electric drum kit into the GW:HT drumkit, plug the GT:WH drumkit into the PS3, and then turn on Rock Band so I could use the electronic drum kit?

Not happening. Ever.

But I have just called up my friend and he has informed me that it is a Roland TD-6 drum kit. The TD-6 is the control module and the drums are apparently called V-Drums. And it does have MIDI out. Does that make a difference at all?

Those drums would be just fine. There are several individuals who already use the exact same kit to play on Rock Band.

And yes, the best you can do is to "piggyback" the real set into the game. The real drumset is not a recognized controller.

From what I recall, for PS3, its a bit easier since you they arent as anal about their controllers. Apparently someone named sethmeisterg on the Rock Band forums makes boxes for people for PS3. I think I remember another site where they would start doing this too. Look him up on the site and drop him an email if you are really interested in this.

Note: Rock Band with a real drumset is soooo awesome.

Edit: Here is the other site I was looking at. A bit pricey, but its one of the few ways to do it.

quovadis13 on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Woo just gold starred my first song in RB2. Live Forever expert drums. Sadly I missed a note or two so no flawless achievement... still made my night.

corin7 on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    how long is this toys r us deal going for

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited December 2008

Not happening. Ever.

Those drums would be just fine. There are several individuals who already use the exact same kit to play on Rock Band.

And yes, the best you can do is to "piggyback" the real set into the game. The real drumset is not a recognized controller.

From what I recall, for PS3, its a bit easier since you they arent as anal about their controllers. Apparently someone named sethmeisterg on the Rock Band forums makes boxes for people for PS3. I think I remember another site where they would start doing this too. Look him up on the site and drop him an email if you are really interested in this.

Note: Rock Band with a real drumset is soooo awesome.

Edit: Here is the other site I was looking at. A bit pricey, but its one of the few ways to do it.

Given the tone of your post I'm assuming that you play with real drums. How do you have your kit set up?

Descendant X on
    edited December 2008
    Given the tone of your post I'm assuming that you play with real drums. How do you have your kit set up?

Pics in spoiler
    dsc04316ie6.jpg
    dsc04315ml4.jpg

I <3 my mesh heads.

I did the do-it-yourself version of the box back in the fall before GHWT came out. The experience was okay, but I would probably recommend avoiding the DIY version if you can.

quovadis13 on
    edited December 2008
    Those are pretty! I like =)

VThornheart on
  • GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

thats so catchy its ridiculous

Gibb on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    how long is this toys r us deal going for

Until Saturday.

Shady3011 on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i'm really starting to rue the day I purchased the rock band 2 SE, my RMA guitar replacement finally got here! Hurray! only its the sunburst model..which just looks plain fugly compared to the SE black..but oh well as long as it plays right? only..its broken worse than my original one is (it drops upstrums about half the time, whereas my original at least registers all strums, the spring is just borked so the strummer doesn't go back to the center after an upstrum)..FUCK. And i still need to RMA my drums at some point too...QUALITY CONTROL GUYS, QUALITY CONTROL!

/endrant

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gibb wrote: »
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

thats so catchy its ridiculous

In case you're not aware, that's a cover of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBjws8gH-lM

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png