As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Netflix Instant View, 360 and You

• AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's a good movie to test out HD streaming with? I get full (four or five bars, can't remember the max) on everything I've watched, but never seen it indicate HD on anything and don't know if it's because of my connection, or because I've just never grabbed/watched anything encoded for HD.

Aoi on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pans Labyrinth. It'll say "HD" on it when it's giving you your quality rating.

Aoi, there's a section under instant watch that says "HD" just go there and add a few.

urahonky on
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Aoi, there's a section under instant watch that says "HD" just go there and add a few.

Wow, I've completely missed that heading when looking at the instant streaming stuff.

Aoi on
    edited December 2008
    Aoi wrote: »

Wow, I've completely missed that heading when looking at the instant streaming stuff.

Haha it happens. :P

urahonky on
    edited December 2008
    Just saw Broken Flowers on the list. I'm curious if anyone else thought it was a really mediocre attempt from Murray to follow up Lost in Translation? Really really god damned mediocre.

Aoi on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    I loved Boondock Saints when I was in Junior High, but I just watched it the other week and man...what a godawful movie. It's so relentlessly retarded and hamfisted.

Yes sir. Much like The Fifth Element and Event Horizon, these movies rocked when you were 13-17. After that...not so much. Whenever I look at my DVD shelf and see Boondock Saints, I cry for the foolish child I once was.

And High Fidelity is fantastic. Best Jack Black has ever and will ever be.

Medium Dave on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I loved Boondock Saints when I was in Junior High, but I just watched it the other week and man...what a godawful movie. It's so relentlessly retarded and hamfisted.

Yes sir. Much like The Fifth Element and Event Horizon, these movies rocked when you were 13-17. After that...not so much. Whenever I look at my DVD shelf and see Boondock Saints, I cry for the foolish child I once was.

I will cut you.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Anyone who badmouths The Fifth Element needs to have their genitals removed, and vacate the premise immediately.

urahonky on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heroes (I only watched the first 3 episodes before falling behind this year and waited for my gf to catch up before giving up) has consistently been in HD at 3 bars for me.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yes sir. Much like The Fifth Element and Event Horizon, these movies rocked when you were 13-17. After that...not so much. Whenever I look at my DVD shelf and see Boondock Saints, I cry for the childlike awe of awesome things I once had.

nlawalker on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, whatever. All I'm saying, nostalgia is an ice cold bitch and I'm sick of waking up to her. You go on and like your movies, I'll go and like something else. Something better.

Goonies sucks, too. Such a loud fucking movie. We all had shit taste as kids and being older and remembering old things you liked as a kid doesn't make it good.

Also, while I'm here, shitting on all that everyone loves, Heroes is shit as well. I've not been able to get past episodes 17 on season1 (on Instant View), I care so little about this boring stupid show. God, I even sort of understand non-nerds liking it, but it just rips off everyfuckthing in the most bland way possible. Goddamnit, I will punch the first motherfucker who walks out of Watchman and says, "Ehh, Heroes did it first." FUCK. YOU.

I have my angry pants on right now.

Medium Dave on
    edited December 2008
    I think you need some alcohol, good sir. Because you be hating on everything today. :)

urahonky on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just realized how easy it is for me to test whether I'm getting remotely good quality. I'll stream on my wired PC and then on the wireless 360. derrrrrr

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited December 2008

Goonies sucks, too. Such a loud fucking movie. We all had shit taste as kids and being older and remembering old things you liked as a kid doesn't make it good.

I hope your angrypants consume you, and spit out your bones for that comment. Seriously. Die to death from something deadly.

Aoi on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I will cut you.

When I was in my teens I thought fifth element was an awful movie. I don't know about you guys but teens around our area took shit way too seriously to enjoy good movies like this. now as a much older person I think it's fantastic and want to kick my younger self for not liking it. what the fuck was I thinking. fifth element is genius.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Fifth Element was the best Moebius movie ever made in live action.

Too bad Moebius didn't get credit for jack shit.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, whatever. All I'm saying, nostalgia is an ice cold bitch and I'm sick of waking up to her. You go on and like your movies, I'll go and like something else. Something better.

Also, while I'm here, shitting on all that everyone loves, Heroes is shit as well. I've not been able to get past episodes 17 on season1 (on Instant View), I care so little about this boring stupid show. God, I even sort of understand non-nerds liking it, but it just rips off everyfuckthing in the most bland way possible. Goddamnit, I will punch the first motherfucker who walks out of Watchman and says, "Ehh, Heroes did it first." FUCK. YOU.

Are you actually talking shit about The Goonies? Man, I will fucking cut you.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You guys are just making me feel old - I was 20 when Fifth Element and Event Horizon came out. And I still think they are both great. So, silly me, Trix are for kids? :P

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just saw Broken Flowers on the list. I'm curious if anyone else thought it was a really mediocre attempt from Murray to follow up Lost in Translation? Really really god damned mediocre.

I don't think it had anything to do with Lost in Translation. Broken Flowers is a Jarmusch film, who has a significantly different style than Sofia Coppola. Sure, Bill Murray played a depressed character in both, but he's played that part in Rushmore, prior to both films.

On that note, Broken Flowers is certainly a mediocre film, and not a good representation of Jim Jarmusch. Jarmusch is better known for Down By Law, and I really enjoyed Johnny Depp in Dead Man.

As for Coppola, she also directed The Virgin Suicides, which I enjoyed (Air does the soundtrack superbly.)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I agree. Heroes is complete crap.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

I don't think it had anything to do with Lost in Translation. Broken Flowers is a Jarmusch film, who has a significantly different style than Sofia Coppola. Sure, Bill Murray played a depressed character in both, but he's played that part in Rushmore, prior to both films.

On that note, Broken Flowers is certainly a mediocre film, and not a good representation of Jim Jarmusch. Jarmusch is better known for Down By Law, and I really enjoyed Johnny Depp in Dead Man.

As for Coppola, she also directed the Virgin Suicides, which I enjoyed (Air does the soundtrack superbly.)

The other piece of that stylistic trilogy was Marie Antoinette, though it didn't entertain me nearly as much as Virgin Suicides or Lost in Translation. I don't even think I finished it.

freakish light on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I agree. Heroes is complete crap.
    Eh, I really enjoyed the first season. The second wasn't very good but has some nice moments.
    But yea, season three is shit.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah, because everyone who liked S1 of Heroes has no idea what Watchmen (at least get the damn title right if you're going to try and be condescending) is and will pull a Warhammer Online...Craft.

You may have angry pants on, but they don't fit very well :|

You won't get any argument from anyone on the latter seasons, but generalizing like that is pretty stupid. Even if you are wearing those pants.

EDIT: Seriously, smoldering with generic rage much? Or perhaps raging an angry anger!
    Sam wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Nobody's Fool is a great Paul Newman flick if you havent seen it.
    Pee Wee's Big Adventure is on there.
    Dancer in the Dark if you're up for a soul crushing musical.

They also have Ghost In the Shell SAC and 2nd Gig
    and Solid State Society, the SAC film.

but all only with the awkward english dub

You are honestly the first person I have ever seen call the dub for any of the Second Action Gig pieces awkward. What, specifically, did you find bad about it?

Raynaga on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know all of those old movies that people say "I watched it again and it was retarded"? I mean did you people not understand that the first time you watched it? I can tell you stuff I watched when I was like 13 and thought, "Wow this is retarded. I love it!" Then I watch those retarded movies again and STILL love them.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    edited December 2008
    Except for Transformers. I still love Reboot, but fuck, watching G1 Transformers makes me want to go back in time and pop myself on the back of the head for being a moron.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    HGoonies sucks, too. Such a loud fucking movie. We all had shit taste as kids and being older and remembering old things you liked as a kid doesn't make it good.

You're dead. Your mom and dad... dead. Your wife and kids... dead. Your fucking dog... dead!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guys. I come to you with news.

There is a movie, not on instant (unfortunately), but I think many of us would enjoy. Since I'm sure everyone is at LEAST doing one DVD at a time. The movie? A Boy and his Dog. It's an oldie, but goodie. Seriously look into it, especially if you like post apocalyptic movies. And womens. :)

I have seen this movie as well, and I concur.

Oh, and I finally got around to watching Death Proof last night. My TV nearly burst from the awesome.

mcdermott on
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

There is a movie, not on instant (unfortunately), but I think many of us would enjoy. Since I'm sure everyone is at LEAST doing one DVD at a time. The movie? A Boy and his Dog. It's an oldie, but goodie. Seriously look into it, especially if you like post apocalyptic movies. And womens. :)

Oh, and I finally got around to watching Death Proof last night. My TV nearly burst from the awesome.

If you like Death Proof, Planet Terror will blow your fucking mind.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I just got Death Proof and Planet Terror on BluRay. Watch Planet Terror, mcdermott. Do it.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Be glad you didn't watch them in the reverse order. Everybody I went to see Grindhouse with in the theater said pretty much the same thing: that Planet Terror wrote a check that Death Proof couldn't cash (in so many words).

Although I still maintain that Death Proof was a great movie, not a lot of people agree with me.

freakish light on
    edited December 2008
    Death Proof wasn't bad, Planet Terror was just way better.

Raynaga on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    I just got Death Proof and Planet Terror on BluRay. Watch Planet Terror, mcdermott. Do it.

I love the second reel cutout.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have only seen Planet Terror and I thought it was pretty good. It's not high cinema or anything but it is quite entertaining. Need to see Death Proof still.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited December 2008

Be glad you didn't watch them in the reverse order. Everybody I went to see Grindhouse with in the theater said pretty much the same thing: that Planet Terror wrote a check that Death Proof couldn't cash (in so many words).

Although I still maintain that Death Proof was a great movie, not a lot of people agree with me.

Unfortunately, I watched Planet Terror first, so I know what you mean. But yeah, on it's own, Death Proof is a good movie. It just doesn't stand up to the bar set by Planet Terror.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i fully appreciate death proof's strict adherence to what they were trying to do, and i think they did a bang up job of it. unfortunately what they did a bang up job of doing was making a shitty old exploitation movie that drags and drags and drags and is generally crap outside of the couple badass setpieces. ive watched a ton of them in my day and they did a really good job of emulating the style. but if youre going to make a new version of something why do it warts and all? hindsight on the entire genre and a budget that shits on anything any of the movies they were aping were working with should have let them make something truly awesome, but instead youre left looking at the clock the entire time and wishing you were watching something old and italian (for example) so there would be any reason to look kindly on the bullshit youre sitting through.

Ah_Pook on
    edited December 2008

I may wait for Blu-Ray. I'll be back at the house tomorrow (where the 37" HDTV and Blu-Ray live). Down here at school I've just got a crappy 19" tube.

Then again, I don't think the wife will be into Planet Terror, which makes this problematic.

Decisions, decisions.

mcdermott on
    edited December 2008
    Come on, what kind of wife wouldn't like Rose McGowen with a machine-gun prosthetic?

Raynaga on
    edited December 2008

I may wait for Blu-Ray. I'll be back at the house tomorrow (where the 37" HDTV and Blu-Ray live). Down here at school I've just got a crappy 19" tube.

Then again, I don't think the wife will be into Planet Terror, which makes this problematic.

Decisions, decisions.

Planet Terror was either filmed with old stock, or artificially altered to look like aged stock, so I'm not sure how well BluRay will really help.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Come on, what kind of wife wouldn't like Rose McGowen with a machine-gun prosthetic?

Mine, apparently. At least that's the conclusion I came to when it came out.

She also denies the awesomeness of Kurt Russell.

Sometimes I wonder how we ever found each other.
    Planet Terror was either filmed with old stock, or artificially altered to look like aged stock, so I'm not sure how well BluRay will really help.

You'd be surprised. It's hard to describe, but even though it will still look older, it will also be sharper.

EDIT: Also, did you miss the 37" widescreen versus 19" non-widescreen?

mcdermott on
    edited December 2008
    And the Planet Terror BluRay includes a "scratch-free" version in addition to the original version.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png