As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google Chrome

• edited December 2008
    isn't the first thing one does when a program doesn't work reinstalling?

the fact that it does the same thing in 9.62, 9.63 and 10.0alpha leads me to believe that either a) it hates google or b) it hates me

in either case, it's not really worth my time when i have two other fully functional browsers installed.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    What's the deal with chrome now? It seems to have a problem saving some of my cookies, mainly Facebook and a few forums

Me Too! on
  • edited December 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    What's the deal with chrome now? It seems to have a problem saving some of my cookies, mainly Facebook and a few forums

I've had that now and again as well. No idea what's causing it and I don't care enough to report it.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Download the SQLite plugin for Firefox, open it up, and load C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies (might be different on Vista). You might have a screwy cookie somewhere in there.

MKR on
    edited December 2008
    yeah but what do I do once I do all that? How do I know what cookie is screwy? Or can I just skip to the opening part and delete my cookies and start over?

Me Too! on
    edited December 2008
    OK I did all that and there's no cookie nothing in that file that SQlite can open

I found cookies, nevermind, now to just open it with SQlite I guess

Me Too! on
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

the fact that it does the same thing in 9.62, 9.63 and 10.0alpha leads me to believe that either a) it hates google or b) it hates me

in either case, it's not really worth my time when i have two other fully functional browsers installed.

Yeah, I'd say the reasonable thing to do is just drop it. It sounds like it hates you, or at least your computer. Maybe give it another shot if you reinstall your OS or get a new computer or something.

Or don't. I don't think anyone would fault you for just deciding you hate it forever if it's giving you this much trouble.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah really firefox does everything i need it to do

there's not a whole lot of incentive

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
    edited December 2008
    I wish I had that choice. Firefox is just too hard on my computer. :(

MKR on
    edited December 2008
    Hey MKR that SQLite thing won't open up the cookie file once I found it, what should I do? Should I just delete the file and start over and see if that works or what?

Me Too! on
    edited December 2008
    The plugin opened mine, so your DB may be screwed up. See if you can find some tool to repair SQLLite databses.

MKR on
    edited December 2008
    That doesn't really help, since I don't know how to do any of that. Can I just delete the cookie file?

Also the cookies didn't even show up as an SQL, I had to hit "view all files" to make them show up.

Me Too! on
    edited December 2008
    Try renaming the file to something else and see if Chrome will create a new cookie database.

MKR on
    edited December 2008
    Looks like that did the trick, thanks

Me Too! on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

My installs of Opera have all fallen for the G.

Cyvros on
  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Are there any websites written in Klingon?

go to google, select 'preferences', klingon is in the dropdown 'language' menu

edit: oh so apparently this changes the title of English in that menu too, making it extra fun to go back!

Oh you are so kidding me.

Oh god.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    change it to a random language and hope you know the word for 'english' in that... YOU FUCKING NERD

Iskander on
    edited December 2008
    Elmer Fudd is an option

From now on I'm searching in Elmer Fudd

Me Too! on
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I've had that now and again as well. No idea what's causing it and I don't care enough to report it.

Getting the same problem on this end every so often. Keep getting signed out of various sites once in a while.

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited December 2008
    Delete your cookies and start over, or just rename the existing file. Either works I guess, I renamed it and I haven't had problems since.

Me Too! on
  • edited December 2008
    Framling wrote: »

Yeah, I'd say the reasonable thing to do is just drop it. It sounds like it hates you, or at least your computer. Maybe give it another shot if you reinstall your OS or get a new computer or something.

Or don't. I don't think anyone would fault you for just deciding you hate it forever if it's giving you this much trouble.

I want to like it. Heck, I actually use it for most stuff at work now. I suppose I could switch search engines.

It's nice and fast (like chrome) but it's more functional (like firefox, but fast).

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elmer Fudd is an option

From now on I'm searching in Elmer Fudd

Anytime you change the language, there is a link written in english on the main page to let you switch back to englsh.

Also, pirate is the best google language. 'Advanced search' hotlink becomes 'Use me better spyglass' link, 'Log in' is 'Sail into Port', 'About Google' is 'Who be this Google', 'Images' is 'Engravin's'...

Bork bork bork (swedish chef from the Muppets) is good too.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Logging out with Pirate: "Catch th' outgoing tide". :D

Cyvros on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i just installed this mofo on my shitty desktop that can't even handle firefox while i'm waiting for my laptop to get ragnarok'ed by HP

it's very pleasing to use and there are a lot of really fantastic features that I like a lot

however no middle mouse scroll is KILLING me right now

also i miss mouse gestures but from what i've heard they're thinking about implementing extensions soon

Snork on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Snork wrote: »
    i just installed this mofo on my shitty desktop that can't even handle firefox while i'm waiting for my laptop to get ragnarok'ed by HP

it's very pleasing to use and there are a lot of really fantastic features that I like a lot

however no middle mouse scroll is KILLING me right now

also i miss mouse gestures but from what i've heard they're thinking about implementing extensions soon

Buh? I have middle mouse scroll...

Unless you have a crappy old school mouse with no wheel.

Lucky Cynic on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have no middle mouse scroll with chrome.

L|ama on
  • DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit I just got Chrome yesterday and it's a million times faster than Firefox; the only problem is that apparently it doesn't support any plug-ins. Is there some planned future release for an equivalent to Adblock?

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here's the question: What motivation do I have for downloading Chrome over Firefox?

Khavall on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never realized there were so many language options. Bork, bork, bork is my new default. :D

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Here's the question: What motivation do I have for downloading Chrome over Firefox?

For me, it opens up and runs really goddamn fast. Even on a fairly good computer, Mozilla tends to chug a long time upon opening right after start-up, and then when I open it up afterwards it still tends to take a second or two. Chrome is almost immediate.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Firefox is a lot more solid to me. Chrome craps out randomly way too often.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When Chrome introduces 3rd-wheel click free-scroll I will gladly proclaim its wonder

Khavall on
    edited December 2008
    really though all these FF plugins are just toys

- adblock, yea, i'm not really bothered by ads. unless you're a fucking goldfish it's not that hard to focus your eyes on a part of the screen you want to look at
    - chrome blocks popups pretty well by itself. i've never had a popup not blocked that i didn't want.
    - chrome has a solid http header trace. just type "about:network" in the address bar and enable I/O tracking.
    - it has a preinstalled dictionary
    - it has a very solid code analyzer thing

this already equalizes 90% of all FF plugins i was using
    everything else isn't really that necessary to begin with

I WISH chrome had:

- middle mouse click scroll
    - it should remember form fields such as login names, email addresses to different sites, like FF and IE do

Iskander on
    edited December 2008
    Iskander wrote: »
    really though all these FF plugins are just toys

- adblock, yea, i'm not really bothered by ads. unless you're a fucking goldfish it's not that hard to focus your eyes on a part of the screen you want to look at
    - chrome blocks popups pretty well by itself. i've never had a popup not blocked that i didn't want.
    - chrome has a solid http header trace. just type "about:network" in the address bar and enable I/O tracking.
    - it has a preinstalled dictionary
    - it has a very solid code analyzer thing

this already equalizes 90% of all FF plugins i was using
    everything else isn't really that necessary to begin with

I WISH chrome had:

- middle mouse click scroll
    - it should remember form fields such as login names, email addresses to different sites, like FF and IE do

NoScript
    AdBlock
    FlashBlock

I often have to kill the flash plugin just to read a page. These three plugins are essential (to me) for controlling which flash videos are and are not allowed to load. I also wouldn't mind a plugin that makes the escape key stop GIF animations.

I would also like:
    All-in-One Sidebar
    Google Notebook
    Firebug

But I can live without those.

MKR on
    edited December 2008
    I often have to kill the flash plugin just to read a page. These three plugins are essential (to me) for controlling which flash videos are and are not allowed to load. I also wouldn't mind a plugin that makes the escape key stop GIF animations.

My question is, why do you care about constrolling these things?

Iskander on
    edited December 2008
    Iskander wrote: »

My question is, why do you care about constrolling these things?

Because I like my CPU not running at 100% constantly, and my fan not running at full tilt (because of the CPU thing). Most Flash and GIF animations are also horribly distracting when I'm trying to read something.

MKR on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have gif animations and plugins turned off by default, and enabled for the few sites where I want to see them. I don't understand how people can stand reading anything with annoying shit jumping all over the screen.

Ivar on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Some of us have full-grown human brains that allow us to filter things and pay attention to what we are looking at.

NotASenator on
    edited December 2008
    not everyone has computers that can easily run massive, obnoxious scripts/flash animations slowing to a crawl

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drag wrote: »
    not everyone has computers that can easily run massive, obnoxious scripts/flash animations slowing to a crawl

well that is a completely different thing.

NotASenator on