As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Chronicles of Spellborn (NSF56K) - Now available

124»

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    give me ye email and I'll make an account

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You are a savior and a saint, good Sir. <3

Glal on
    edited December 2008
    there you go

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited December 2008
    One last hurdle to get it activated, I'm afraid.

Glal on
    edited December 2008
    there you go

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited December 2008
    So... pretty... <3
    They really do force you to read your quests carefully though. I've grown lazy thanks to WAR's blobs of interest.

Glal on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I tried this out the other day... (you can use a proxy site to make your account with zero issues)

I was wildly unimpressed, I was an emphatic supporter of this game for a while, really thought they where on the right track with character creation, and real time combat, and the artistic style was just great in my opinion.

But the execution is just painful. The character creation system, which was one of their selling points "Make your character look how you want, gear has no bearing on how awesome you want to look" is behind the times at release. Games like EQ2 have a more indepth character creation system.

The real time combat is....neat, but nothing more, it just doesn't feel right. I suppose its because the controls feel a little clunky. I have to point with my mouse, move with my WASD, and then hit the right number key, while keeping my reticule over the target. I can't just point and click quickly to execute an attack. Maybe I could have remapped it or something, but that seems flawed, considering it should be intuitive from the get-go.

And the lack of map markers for quests? come on guys...If your going to force progression via quests, it needs to be user friendly. When I can't just grind for XP effectively, and I have to quest, but I have to read and hope I am headed in the right direction, and then be "on" for every encounter...

I guess thats my major issue, you have to be "On" aware, and ontop of your game all the time, it just didn't feel like I could kick back, watch some TV while I played a game to relax. One slip in combat and you're toast, if you circle dodge a boar, and wander to close to the pack, you're toast...

In my opinion, that sucks, I am sure some people will love it, but with it having so much promise, and being so...Odd, it just felt hard to play.

I don't know, maybe I just was expecting something more intuitive and natural feeling.

Anon the Felon on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yay another generic fantasy MMO just what i wanted ! This game probably would be doing better had it not released right when all the big hitters and Lich King released...

The combat system looks like DDO's combat, which to the day i feel is the best combat i have experience in any MMO so far other than Phantasy Star Online. I like being able to control my character, not point, click, watch my dude fight automatically.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited December 2008
    well it's still in beta for most of the world.

except in europe, where it went retail :lol:

Don't think I've experienced a weirder release of an MMO to be honest

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited December 2008
    The character creation system, which was one of their selling points "Make your character look how you want, gear has no bearing on how awesome you want to look" is behind the times at release. Games like EQ2 have a more indepth character creation system.
    While the actual character part is lacking, I found the equipment part very neat. It felt like City of Heroes Lite, what with having dual-colour armour pieces with loads of body slots to stick them on. Even better, when said pieces came in pairs (like shoulders ot gloves) you could have completely different ones on each side.
    I have my character tattoos down the left side of her body, and fashioned the armour so that her body and right side were covered in armour, while the left side was mostly devoid of it, showing off the tattoos.

Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yay another generic fantasy MMO just what i wanted ! This game probably would be doing better had it not released right when all the big hitters and Lich King released...

The combat system looks like DDO's combat, which to the day i feel is the best combat i have experience in any MMO so far other than Phantasy Star Online. I like being able to control my character, not point, click, watch my dude fight automatically.
    OK, explain to me how the setting generic, other than that it has swords, magic and humans?

Aldo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    well you went and answered your own question!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited December 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    well you went and answered your own question!
    *facepalm*

Aldo on
    edited December 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    The character creation system, which was one of their selling points "Make your character look how you want, gear has no bearing on how awesome you want to look" is behind the times at release. Games like EQ2 have a more indepth character creation system.
    While the actual character part is lacking, I found the equipment part very neat. It felt like City of Heroes Lite, what with having dual-colour armour pieces with loads of body slots to stick them on. Even better, when said pieces came in pairs (like shoulders ot gloves) you could have completely different ones on each side.
    I have my character tattoos down the left side of her body, and fashioned the armour so that her body and right side were covered in armour, while the left side was mostly devoid of it, showing off the tattoos.

I notice you failed to comment on the "revolutionary" combat system...

Anon the Felon on
    edited December 2008
    I've not played it enough to see how it works when you're not Level Fuckall. I wouldn't judge any MMO on the basis of how a level 1 character plays.

[edit] In more detail, when you only have like 4 skills, the tier system doesn't work very differently from how any MMO feels. When you've more abilities with long cooldowns, and the 5-per-tier limitation forces you to place and use them tactically? Then we'll be able to tell.

Glal on
    edited December 2008
    Tactics or not, how do you feel about the control of it.

I saw having to use WASD to move, mouse to target, and number keys to attack was....cumbersome. I was constantly having to stop dodging, get hit for 90 points of damage and hit 1 or something. I just didn't seem to flow right I guess.

Anon the Felon on
    edited December 2008
    Tactics or not, how do you feel about the control of it.

I saw having to use WASD to move, mouse to target, and number keys to attack was....cumbersome. I was constantly having to stop dodging, get hit for 90 points of damage and hit 1 or something. I just didn't seem to flow right I guess.
    You can lock the mouse with R, that way it controls more like a FPS. Downside is that the moment you kill a mob you get a huge-ass loot screen covering half your interface and you can only click it away. Fucking retarded.

*e: oh, they might have fixed that when they went live, idk.

Aldo on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I just played it like an FPS with ability buttons. They even automatically change LMB to your last used combat slot, so if you're just using your generic row of attacks (say, 111) all you do is aim and click.

Glal on
  • 13tongimp13tongimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The game client is a fucking piece of shit. It flags as a virus in AVG and then crashes. Their support forum suggestions is to go into your system performance setup and tweak it to run this ass-backwards piece of shit. They can't even launch the game without it being bogged down with horrible bugs that keep you from even playing the game.

Fucking fail-tastic....typical crap from Acclaim, which is a horrible developer anyway.

13tongimp on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    13tongimp wrote: »
    The game client is a fucking piece of shit. It flags as a virus in AVG and then crashes. Their support forum suggestions is to go into your system performance setup and tweak it to run this ass-backwards piece of shit. They can't even launch the game without it being bogged down with horrible bugs that keep you from even playing the game.

Fucking fail-tastic....typical crap from Acclaim, which is a horrible developer anyway.

Pretty sure Acclaim just published it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Indeed, Acclaim is a f2p mmo publisher at the moment. A shoddy one.

Also, this isn't the same company we know from times of yore wiki of old the old company, wiki of the new company

Basically: they bought the name and pooped out a few dozen crappy games along with one or two decent free MMOs hoping to make profit. I am unsure if this will ever be the case, most of the games in their portfolio made me cry and/or yell in anger. post for those interested

Aldo on
    edited April 2009
    Well, I was having a great time in this game. Until I got home one night, was fairly tired, and decided to play.

I died constantly, because I was only half away, and kind of watching a movie at the same time. In games like EQ, AC, WoW, basically anything else, I wouldn't be punished for not being "Punched In" while playing.

This used to happen to me in UO too, I would be tired but want to play, and die a ton. Its fairly annoying that if your not on top of your game while playing, your punished.

I really enjoy the concept, graphics, and gameplay. But not being able to played as a half otherwise occupied person is very frustrating.

Anon the Felon on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the art direction, but I'm not sure if I like the gameplay. Feels a bit clunky.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • 13tongimp13tongimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

Also, this isn't the same company we know from times of yore wiki of old the old company, wiki of the new company

Basically: they bought the name and pooped out a few dozen crappy games along with one or two decent free MMOs hoping to make profit. I am unsure if this will ever be the case, most of the games in their portfolio made me cry and/or yell in anger. post for those interested

I hadn't realized that this was a new incarnation but anyway the new company sucks as much as the old one.

13tongimp on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I hadn't realized that this was a new incarnation but anyway the new company sucks as much as the old one.

They made Turok, so they can't suck.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited April 2009
    the latest turok was canceled during development. considering how mediocre the last one was, its no real surprise

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They really need to fix the Windows 7/Game Guard issues. I want to play so badly.

Esh on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    whats the latest issues ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Draeven wrote: »
    whats the latest issues ?

Gameguard doesn't like Windows 7. Apparently they're going to fix it soon though.

Esh on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I downloaded this to give it a whirl... Enjoyed spending quite a while creating my character, and then the client hung when I tried to choose a name. Logged back in and all my hard work was gone.

So I created a quick random character, logged in, got to the starter area and picked up a quest... then crashed.

Logged in a few days later, had a little explore, crashed again.

Sort of lost interest now.

Grenn on
    edited April 2009
    creating was sorta fun but HOLY GOD do the humans have super long freaky legs. I had to go with the draenei race

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I just finished downloading this and will also be giving it a try. OR, i will be attempting to load the game only to have it crash immediatly, not good signs
    nm up and running.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After all the bad things I heard about this game a few months ago I kind of lost interest. Is there something I can do to update the OP? Is this game now released as a micro-transaction game? I'm out of the loop.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    After all the bad things I heard about this game a few months ago I kind of lost interest. Is there something I can do to update the OP? Is this game now released as a micro-transaction game? I'm out of the loop.
    Anon made a much better thread in the mean time. It's just that someone decided to necro this one instead of his.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=86974

Aldo on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anon made a much better thread in the mean time. It's just that someone decided to necro this one instead of his.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=86974

Oh well, since it looks like he stole a chunk of my OP in his, I will return the favor and steal from his! Mwahahahaa!

Edit: Actually, looking at it more closely, that IS just my OP, I can't find any new information there.

Edit 2: I updated the OP slightly to include the new website and where the trial button is located.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    OK so "much better" is false. :P

Aldo on
    edited April 2009
    Nah my OP had been changed to better reflect class web links, more up to date description of combat and an actual player's opinion of game play. I believe its the first spoiler, and class spoiler, and something else...

But yeah I shamelessly ripped yours and made minor changes so people could read up on the classes.

As a side note I quit playing for reasons I have stated in this thread.

Anon the Felon on
    edited April 2009
    so, what server are those of us trying this out playing on ? i chose one of the servers, i jsut dont rember the name ;d

Draeven on

• LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I really enjoyed the tutorial, so I think I'm gonna try out the rest of the free trial. Who else is playing? I'm on the PvP server, Human Warrior by the name of Hellblazer.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My bf and I are giving this a try as well, but on the PvE server. We're Yemaya and Woden, level 3 so far and having fun (I have a level 5 I played earlier as well). We'll see how long this lasts, but we really like the aesthetic and some of the colorful characters we've encountered so far. Plus the combat is neat.

sidhaethe on