As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHOTO] Bells! Batman Smells!

• ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Project Mayhem: If you can afford it, I would go for the XSi. I have the XTi, and I do like it a lot, but I messed with the XSi in best buy and it has some nice features I wish I had and (from the little I played with it) it was nice to have image stabilization come on the kit lens. Though I suppose if you just got the right lens to stick on the XTi you could get that.

Thylacine on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, I am getting lazy or possibly distracted. I totally forgot to edit out the leaf-bits in my second photo (the ones that intersect the top of the image). Ugh! I'll edit and replace it shortly.

Jives, I am still digesting your picture. I tend to shy away from pictures of death/dead animals, but mainly because it's a powerful topic that I am not comfortable with standard methods of conveyance (some people show the ridiculous, like Dali's skull made of nude women; some people overwhelm you with it like the bone cathedral or that woman photographer who held the two dead birds to her eyes (forget the name); etc).

More than 75% of your frame is blurry. In a way I think that helps carry the image, but I think perhaps the top 15% of the frame being all blur then the next ~15% being so filled with blur (the bird is only starting to enter the frame at this point) maybe a little too much. My eye wanders around this area a pretty long time before 'finding' the bird. On the other hand, some of the wandering is good, that's what makes the sudden discovery of the bird a powerful experience. The blanket of ice (obviously) is key, as it further obscures the bird (and suggests a 'blanket' like the bird is sleeping, and it has other effects, too), but I digress .... I think there's a fine line to find between too much room for the eye to wander before finding the bird and the right amount. I think you have too much, but I could not make a good suggestion on how much to crop off to achieve the right amount. The leaf-stem intersecting the bird's head is not ideal, but I am not surprised you didn't move it (touching it might be kinda gross, and also might disturb the mud).

So I am not sure the picture could ever achieve what it sets out to achieve, but it's pretty damn close, and it's quite effective nonetheless.

I hope you don't mind my long-winded and possibly too know-it-all critique. I am talking out of my ass and I know it, even if my paragraph doesn't communicate that. Anyway, that's my thoughts.

erisian pope on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh fuck man. I didn't really do shit on the last photo thread but this one is great.

I have seen prosipience and Sheri's photos on flickr and they're great. There are some fantastic shots here of the fog and snow.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited December 2008
    I was going through my portable hard drive trying to organize things(hahaha), and ran across a few pics I hadn't seen in awhile. (Probably for a good reason...:-P)

Haystacks-1.jpg

bike.jpg

coconut.jpg

And, since this thread has been (mostly) light hearted:
    donttouch.jpg

conga.jpg

Thylacine on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sacramento Zoo:

3057545749_6f547e2d01_o.jpg

3057542033_685c1e24da.jpg

3058380344_ccdd1fcc1f.jpg

3058380102_99f14d977b.jpg

Couple photos from Sacramentos Run To Feed The Hungry annual chairty thing:

3065705999_791cd381e6.jpg

3065705719_86a35ccc1a.jpg

3066546432_9ecd6d39f2.jpg

Nature around the office:

3117716238_e80682757c.jpg

3111965317_20d16c4bae.jpg

3112797264_ea4f872635.jpg

3112797180_561d289e32.jpg

Weirdo:

3116890683_0ff101e4a8.jpg

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    These are great:
    IMG_8304web.jpg

IMG_8284web.jpg

P1020065.jpg

3117716238_e80682757c.jpg

MAD LIB!*
    Everything else sucks because they need _______ contrast to give it more _______. If you _______ it so it is _______ it won't be so distracting. The subject is also _______ in _______ qualities to really give the viewer something to latch on to. You also cropped _______ to close to the _______. If you adhered to the rule of ______ it wouldn't look so boring. Also stop sucking at ________. Yours truly <irate photo critiquer>

Your words:
    Thirds
    Defining
    Contrast
    Lacking
    Photography
    More
    Level
    Saturation
    Less
    Interest
    Punch
    Rotate
    Subject
    Frame

*kind of but not really.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cow has blown my mind.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey guys, does the file/automate/merge to HDR menu in photoshop do what I think it does? I don't have any multiple exposure shots to test it on.

Uberslug on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Flyingman wrote: »
    Cow has blown my mind.

Brain asplode.

So, there are few things better than just taking the camera out all damn day and getting plenty of shots. PHOTO DUMP TIEM!

3119616492_9c31ca5e0e.jpg 3119616668_fab4542d41.jpg 3118790033_1e6e2fbba8.jpg 3118790253_bb2d5f4ef9.jpg 3118790373_5710fd0925.jpg 3119617504_7bfee2054d.jpg 3119617638_c3beea1e26.jpg 3118790853_08e7ff8474.jpg 3118791035_93e0338be9.jpg 3119618134_a3ee117c1f.jpg

Having snowy mountains like an hour away from my crazy desert landscape ROCKS.

yalborap on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    453300953_22a2b5179c_o.jpg

Dude, you BotP'd yourself!

I really like this. The gray-tones are terrific and the DOF does a nice job of subject/background separation. Very nice.

Sexy as fuck.

Here's one o' mine done with a Nikon d80:

3097719479_e080842b14_b.jpg

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ED! wrote: »

I like quite a few of these.

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    453300953_22a2b5179c_o.jpg[IMG][/img]

Dude, you BotP'd yourself!

I really like this. The gray-tones are terrific and the DOF does a nice job of subject/background separation. Very nice.

Sexy as fuck.

Here's one o' mine done with a Nikon d80:

3097719479_e080842b14_b.jpg

I'm not sure all that negative space works for me, personally...I think it would've worked better if you had a flash or something you could've popped in, depending on how long the actual distance was between you and the water, and you and the buoy.

yalborap on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I was just given an old Pentax S1a. Fantastic condition. The filter is a little banged up but the lens underneath is perfect. Woo!

20081218-DSC_3301.jpg

I'd like to run some black and white film through it, but I know nothing about film. What are the good brands?

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited December 2008
    Does Kodak still do good stuff? I think their Kodachrome brand died, but they probably still have some quality film.

Really, even bad film has a great look to it when the images come back, and every brand's gonna look different, and tastes will differ from person to person. I say grab a variety of brands on the cheap and go experiment.

yalborap on
    edited December 2008
    IMG_8343web.jpg

needOptic on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Everyone from Europe has the same haircut.

bombardier on
    edited December 2008
    Proto wrote: »
    I'd like to run some black and white film through it, but I know nothing about film. What are the good brands?

I like some of the Ilford stuff. HP5 has given me good result...that's ISO 400. Tri-X has given me alright results too.

Thylacine on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like Fuji film a lot.

Virum on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spoilered for h-scroll rapage. Sorry about that.
    Liquid_Patterns_by_Rihani.jpg

Macro detail of rainwater on my car window. Macro because of the little patterns nature has made with the water.

Sunrise_Through_Dirty_Glass_by_Rihani.jpg

Sunrise over Cobh Harbour, taken through our apparently very dirty and scratched (?!) sliding door. The reason I didn't take a photograph outside is that I was sleeping, got thirsty enough to be woken, got up to get some water and I saw that. It was cold and I was still undressed so I wasn't going to go out the front door with the camera. Still, it was a lovely sunrise, so I had to snap it - through the sliding door. I just think the oddness of it all gives it a lovely texture.

First_Impression_by_Rihani.jpg

St. Colman's Cathedral, here in Cobh. Was trying to get across the awesome impression you get every time you approach the building, and look up.

A_Angyal_Vi_Magyar_Szent_Koron_by_Rihani.jpg

The statue at the top of the column at Hero's Square, in Budapest.

The only recent one is the sunrise, all the others I have just plucked from various photography folders on my hard drive and posted up onto DeviantArt today.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited December 2008
    That rain detail picture has absolutely no reason to be this big. It's of horribly low quality and all pixelated.

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    So much fog lately!

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

erisian pope on
    edited December 2008
    The damn telephone poles are kinda distracting in the second one, but it's still a very slick image, pope. :)

Now, my stuff got BOTP'd back on the last page. Anyone up for quoting it and critiquing?

yalborap on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    needOptic wrote: »
    That rain detail picture has absolutely no reason to be this big. It's of horribly low quality and all pixelated.

Well, yeah, I had to do a tiny bit of zooming to get the detail. And it's not about the clarity of the picture, it's supposed to highlight the patterns the rain is making in tiny drops. I don't have a true SLR and I can't swap my lens out for a macro one, so I have to make do.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited December 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Flyingman wrote: »
    Cow has blown my mind.

Brain asplode.

So, there are few things better than just taking the camera out all damn day and getting plenty of shots. PHOTO DUMP TIEM!

3119616492_9c31ca5e0e.jpg 3119616668_fab4542d41.jpg 3118790033_1e6e2fbba8.jpg 3118790253_bb2d5f4ef9.jpg 3118790373_5710fd0925.jpg 3119617504_7bfee2054d.jpg 3119617638_c3beea1e26.jpg 3118790853_08e7ff8474.jpg 3118791035_93e0338be9.jpg 3119618134_a3ee117c1f.jpg

Having snowy mountains like an hour away from my crazy desert landscape ROCKS.

Lots of images, will critique as soon as I'm done troubleshooting this damn ESX problem.

erisian pope on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I needed to take a break from PA, but I just wanted to drop in to say that you guys have been doing some great work lately.

Just to share, because I don't put much of my work stuff up here:

Regionals-4.jpg

And then a few others:

BlogSnow-5.jpg

I've been doing some winter camping:

lastlight.jpg

BlogSnow-18.jpg

edit: one more

sunset.jpg

Just in case you're curious, I spend the nights under the stars sleeping in a snow cave.

BlogSnow-20.jpg

Uncle Long on
    edited December 2008
    Those are some good snow pictures but I think your snow cave needs some work. Right now it just looks like a snow indention.

CommunistCow on
    edited December 2008
    lol

Do bears ever chew your face off?

And how does one deal with losing a face or say an arm?

needOptic on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lol

Bears are usually pretty good about just leaving you alone. And this time of year they're either hibernating or really slow.

At any rate, I still have my shotgun whenever I do wilderness hikes.

Uncle Long on
    edited December 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    lol

Bears are usually pretty good about just leaving you alone. And this time of year they're either hibernating or really slow.

At any rate, I still have my shotgun whenever I do wilderness hikes.

Kickass. Just in case of zombies.

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    So...

My roommate informed me he dropped my Camera, with my 17-40 F/4 L on it, which was like $700. My pride and joy.

The UV filter is shattered, and won't come off the camera. I am not sure how to tell if the lens itself is still good. Any ideas? I'm fucking freaking out here.

altmann on

signature.png
    edited December 2008
    altmann wrote: »
    So...

My roommate informed me he dropped my Camera, with my 17-40 F/4 L on it, which was like $700. My pride and joy.

The UV filter is shattered, and won't come off the camera. I am not sure how to tell if the lens itself is still good. Any ideas? I'm fucking freaking out here.

Dude! That sucks!

That's the primary argument I have heard against leaving a UV filter on all the time (which people to to protect the lens). I am so sorry to hear it happened to you! One Austin photog I met had that happen and he used pliers to grab the filter and unscrew it and his lens was ok. Maybe that can work for you? Maybe also a little WD-40 or maybe that generic 3-in-1 oil to lube it up first? I really don't know any great ways to get that off.

That so so so sucks. I hope it ends up being ok. I don't suppose you have homeowner's or renter's insurance and have the camera and lens on it. I don't suppose your roommate has oodles of money or is offering to help you handle the cost of replacement.

D:

erisian pope on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So...

L's are built like a brick shithouse. I say this, primarily to use the word though. I've dropped my 24-105mm, and it works fine, although from the sound of it, yours took a harder tumble.

Also, personally I'd still keep a UV filter on there, even if you have to saw it off later, it's still better to have some protection for the glass.

ps. I'm mad busy like long, sorry for lack of commenting

Jake! on
  • [GHSC]Ryctor[GHSC]Ryctor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A few new shots from 2 assignments back in October

Marlee
    1zmjm80.jpg

Alcorn State Football
    1jb5mt.jpg

[GHSC]Ryctor on
    You'd be surprised the amount of damage a hauler can do in the right hands ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, i might have asked this question before, but I have been searching for an answer everywhere and I just cant find it. Basically, I adore how preview on a mac renders my NEF files, but for the love of god, I cant replicate it in lightroom. Anyone has any tips?

muninn on
    edited December 2008
    A few new shots from 2 assignments back in October

Marlee
    1zmjm80.jpg

Alcorn State Football
    1jb5mt.jpg

I like the tilt in Marlee. Can we see bigger?

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    OK lens is fine so whew. took it to the local camera shop with a repair center, guy got the filter off, said the lens was fine and i got a new filter.

Also, just thought this would be useful to some of you who shoot RAW, it's a native RAW thumbnailer/viewer for windows, so your raw files are basically treated and as easy to look at as JPEG files:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D48E808E-B10D-4CE4-A141-5866FD4A3286&displaylang=en

altmann on

signature.png
    edited December 2008
    OK lens is fine so whew. took it to the local camera shop with a repair center, guy got the filter off, said the lens was fine and i got a new filter.

Also, just thought this would be useful to some of you who shoot RAW, it's a native RAW thumbnailer/viewer for windows, so your raw files are basically treated and as easy to look at as JPEG files:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D48E808E-B10D-4CE4-A141-5866FD4A3286&displaylang=en

For thumbnails it's ok, but as far as viewing goes - nothing beats picasa.

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    So to all those "shadow haters" of my pictures I was wondering if you could take a look at this and tell me what you think.

This is not my photo but an example I am using:
    http://cdn.purevolume.com/cdnImages/crop_345x235/Artist-9079472-aa.jpg

So this is kind of what I am trying to emulate or strive towards. It looks very manufactured and refined but with multiple light sources you will always get some funny shadows which don't bother me at all. Sorry for the small size but do the shadows bother you in that photo?

CommunistCow on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can't see anything in a photo that small, let alone shadows.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got bored and took a picture of my toys that are on my headboard. I also found out that I have a flickr account I forgot about.
    3123896554_e40168cd59_b.jpg

Some random ones from my flickr I like still:
    2084603928_926427b6ca_b.jpg
    2083810185_4c148aa866_b.jpg
    2083754811_b384405733_b.jpg

edit: spoilered for hugeness.

projectmayhem on
This discussion has been closed.