As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate Thread: SEMI-FINAL ROUND

1235»

• Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Doom himself mentions that Ultron has enough power to break through his forcefields.

An obsolete Ultron model, no less.

"Eventually, he might even batter through my personal force field."

That's about as convincing as "he might be able to hurt me, if I just sit right here and take a little nap."

A cocky and very self-assured villain claiming that someone might EVENTUALLY better him? Perish the thought. Doom is always serious when he says "They might EVENTUALLY break my forcefield!"
    Definitely not Latverian for "Oh fuck, this guys kicking my ass."

So now we're to assume that an internal monologue that says "eh, maybe eventually at some point X" means "oh crap, definitely X, right now!"?

I'd understand the point if Doom was proclaiming it out loud, so as to not lose face (a bad pun when it comes to Doom, but you get my point). Those were thought balloons though, so unless he's trying to maintain his bravado for all the mind readers in attendance, I'm not sure I believe he miscalculating a factor that relates to his personal safety.

Yeah, but Doom doesn't actually put on an act - he really is that arrogant.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cowbomb wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Doom himself mentions that Ultron has enough power to break through his forcefields.

"Eventually, he might even batter through my personal force field."

That's about as convincing as "he might be able to hurt me, if I just sit right here and take a little nap."

A cocky and very self-assured villain claiming that someone might EVENTUALLY better him? Perish the thought. Doom is always serious when he says "They might EVENTUALLY break my forcefield!"
    Definitely not Latverian for "Oh fuck, this guys kicking my ass."

So now we're to assume that an internal monologue that says "eh, maybe eventually at some point X" means "oh crap, definitely X, right now!"?

I'd understand the point if Doom was proclaiming it out loud, so as to not lose face (a bad pun when it comes to Doom, but you get my point). Those were thought balloons though, so unless he's trying to maintain his bravado for all the mind readers in attendance, I'm not sure I believe he miscalculating a factor that relates to his personal safety.

Yeah, but Doom doesn't actually put on an act - he really is that arrogant.

His arrogance is somewhat deserved, though. He's almost as smart as RICHARDS!!!! and almost as powerful magically as Strange.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:

Because Doom himself has not improved his armor since the mid 70s.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:

Ultron has improved in the same time as well, and I imagine Ultron hasn't fallen behind Doom since he has far more time to dedicate to upgrades and, beyond that, makes far more drastic upgrades (while Doom's human body cannot be improved and is always central to his form).

robosagogo on
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Ultron has improved in the same time as well, and I imagine Ultron hasn't fallen behind Doom since he has far more time to dedicate to upgrades and, beyond that, makes far more drastic upgrades (while Doom's human body cannot be improved and is always central to his form).

Slight difference:
    Ultron spends most of his time between fights in scattered pieces.
    Doom spends most of his time between fights in his own private country.

While I agree that Ultron would be able to upgrade more drastically(except, of course, in magic), Doom would simply have more time to work on his hands.
    It's pretty rare for doom to get thrown in jail or otherwise incapacitated for long stretches of time.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."