As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hitpoints! Mana! (I crave a new RPG)

Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
It's been awhile since I last enjoyed a new RPG. I'm currently replaying Chrono Trigger on the DS, but I want to play something new. I like most kinds, I loved the Shin Megami Tensei games for forcing me to be aware and think strategically, but at my own pace (due to the turn based system), but I also loved FFXII for the way it gave me the choice to let my intelligence play the game for me with gambits and make it an interactive story. I tried to play Eternal Sonata, but the characters and story were way too fluffy for me to stomach and the battles were getting really repetitive (which is saying something for a console RPG).

The only RPGs on the 360 I tried other than Eternal Sonata are Mass Effect and Fallout 3. They're fun and really well done, but not quite what I'm looking for right now. I'm craving a more traditional battle system. Something I can play while kicking back and relaxing that depends much more on stats and strategy than player skill. But story is just as important to my enjoyment of it. After playing games like Anachranox and Planescape: Torment, it's hard to be satisfied with a normal RPG story. Actually, I think if FFXII's battle system wasn't so unique I wouldn't have bothered playing it for the story.

So, are there any good recent RPGs on the PS2 or 360 that I would like? I've been hearing good things about Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, but not enough details to know if they're the kind of laid back RPG I'm looking for.

Sorry for the Tolstoy, thanks if you took the time to read this.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
Raiden333 on

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've had the same problem as you once I played Planescape. If you have a PC, why not reinstall and play through the entire BG series, modded? (there's a thread on mods on it.) I also really, really enjoyed NWN2 and it's expansions.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Persona 4.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tales of Vesperia is a fantastic game, although the battle system can be pretty tense, yet always fun. If you're familiar with the Tales series, you'll know what to expect, but the main quality that makes me love Vesperia is the main character.

Yuri's the one JRPG character in recent memory that I not only like, but genuine enjoy playing as.

Kami on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What about Ys: The Oath in Felghana? I just got that one, myself, and can't wait to try it out.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm not familiar with the Tales series, nor Ys. Well, I've heard some about the Tales games, but I literally know nothing about Ys. Can you explain a little about how the mechanics work?

As for TLR, I don't like what I've heard about the battle system. Can't choose heal unless your below a certain percentage? That sounds pretty annoying. How good is the story though?

I actually have never played the Baldur's Gate games. I might have to look into that, since my PC could actually run those.

Raiden333 on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think you should give Lost Odyssey a try. The story is pretty decently well told (at least for 3 discs of it). It's not the best, but it's cool. I really loved the battle system, too. It's got a nice strategy going for it. Personally, I had a lot of fun with Lost Odyssey, and it was really exactly what I was looking for in a next gen JRPG. It gave me nostalgia for the old, something new to do, and something nice to look at.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kami wrote: »
    Tales of Vesperia is a fantastic game, although the battle system can be pretty tense, yet always fun. If you're familiar with the Tales series, you'll know what to expect, but the main quality that makes me love Vesperia is the main character.

Yuri's the one JRPG character in recent memory that I not only like, but genuine enjoy playing as.

Vesperia is indeed great, and one of the better games in the series, but it's not traditional. It sounds like he wants something of the turn-based variety. For the Xbox 360, The Last Remnant is a good choice. Don't believe all the criticism that it suffers from severe technical problems. It's no more worse than Mass Effect pre-NXE. Most problems, such as loading times and pop-in, are pretty much resolved with an HDD install.

As far as story and gameplay, both are very satisfying in TLR. The mystery of the remnants is interesting and some of the settings are jaw dropping. I had to stop what I was doing in the game to just look at the beautiful backdrops. The gameplay is turn-based, but you don't control just a single party. Instead, you form unisons of multiple leaders and soldiers you recruit and organize yourself (right now I have three unisons, each one with five units). Instead of leveling up traditionally, your stats grow depending on your actions. There's definitely more strategy involved than most other JRPGs, as you assign formations and can do flank and rear attacks and so forth.

There's also a ridiculous, ridiculous amount of side-content in the game. You can go to the pubs to take on countless quests (there are 42 on the first disc alone), guilds to check on guild tasks, explore to find non-story related towns which offer even more quests, customize and create your own weapons and accessories, and a whole lot more.

For the Playstation 2, as someone else recommended, you can't go wrong with Persona 4.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They're porting The Witcher soon.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think you should give Lost Odyssey a try. The story is pretty decently well told (at least for 3 discs of it). It's not the best, but it's cool. I really loved the battle system, too. It's got a nice strategy going for it. Personally, I had a lot of fun with Lost Odyssey, and it was really exactly what I was looking for in a next gen JRPG. It gave me nostalgia for the old, something new to do, and something nice to look at.
    Seconded. The music is pretty awesome too:

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited December 2008
    I do really like the idea of a massive amount of sidequests. I think I will give TLR a try. I'll probably rent both it and Lost Odyssey and see which one grabs me the most in the first couple hours. I have a lot of free time on my winter break.

I might try Persona 4 eventually, but I played P3 to death in spring this year and got kind of burnt out on it.

Oh yeah? To the 360? I'm very interested in this.

Raiden333 on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Persona 4.

Any of the Persona, or for that matter Shin Megami Tensei series, cannot be stressed enough how awesome this entire line of games actually is. I'd take SMT games over Final Fantasy now adays hands down.

And whoever mentioned The Witcher, that game is increadibly good. Once you turn off autosave so the game doesnt crash on PC every 40 mins or so. Nothing like a main character who is a womanizing drug addicted monster slayer.

Also Lost Odessey is average IMO, a lot of the characters i found to be very generic, the main character is downright boring and has the personality of a cardboard box. Graphically it is nice and it is a decent game for sure, just the characters are....eh...you'll see.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • G. ThreepwoodG. Threepwood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you like the DS, try the Etrian Odysseys. Either one. I'm playing through 1 and I love it. It's old school and tough.

G. Threepwood on
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think any chance of me checking out Lost Odyssey was smothered after about the 800th time I saw the commercial for it on TV. Were they trying to sell a game or cause a mass epidemic of electric drill suicides?

Such a bizarre and inappropriate selection of music.

Tzen on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Never played the Baldur's Gate games?

Well then, I think you have your answer. Go play those right now

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can see how you might get burnt out on Persona 3, seeing as it took me something like 90 hours to beat, and I didn't even play The Answer.

However, be sure to pick up Persona 4 some time. The gameplay is the same in a lot of ways, but the minor additions really make it even better. Also, the "feel" is really different.

Edit- If you're willing to be flexible about the turn-based thing, definitely pick up The World Ends With You. It is an action RPG (a very hectic one at that), but it is most definitely "different."

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DUDE

Baldur's Gate (1 or 2. 2 is better IMO though)

Yougottawanna on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you are reading this thread now than shame on you. You should be out buying Persona 4 like a fine upstanding gentleman should.

The_Scarab on
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Persona 4 is the best RPG released this year.

Lightor216 on
    edited December 2008
    This video will do more to explain Ys than any horrible description I could give:
    Oh God I Love It

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Oh yeah? To the 360? I'm very interested in this.

It doesn't sound like what you're looking for right now, though. On the PC, the combat was vaguely actiony and they're making it more actiony for the console version.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jaunty wrote: »
    This video will do more to explain Ys than any horrible description I could give:

Looks pretty interesting, but incredibly easy. Is it always that easy, or is he just over leveled? Also what system is it for?

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited December 2008
    PC exclusive, and I couldn't tell you with regards to difficulty because I've yet to install it (waiting until after I move, Monday). You can find a few clips though with boss battles which are clearly challenging, almost in a kind of simplified shmup kind of way.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PC exclusive, and I couldn't tell you with regards to difficulty because I've yet to install it (waiting until after I move, Monday). You can find a few clips though with boss battles which are clearly challenging, almost in a kind of simplified shmup kind of way.

I can't find any info on an English version of that game, I just keep running into the Japanese 2005 release. I assume you're running a fan patch? or something?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Download the demo for Blue Dragon, and/or just go out and buy it. It's what you're looking for.

urahonky on
  • Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Vampire off Steam? Think its 10 bucks and its GREAT....cant imagine your machine is to slow run it

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Download the demo for Blue Dragon, and/or just go out and buy it. It's what you're looking for.

No, don't.

Blue Dragon is so awful.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Pancake wrote: »

No, don't.

Blue Dragon is so awful.

Pancake. I'd attack you, but I don't hit women. So I'll use my words.

I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW.
    <3

But seriously if he's looking for a traditional RPG, why not get Blue Dragon? And what the hell is wrong with BD? Someone craving old school RPGs should look into it.

urahonky on
    edited December 2008
    Raiden, download the demo for Blue Dragon. If you don't like the demo, you won't enjoy the game. If you liked it, then I suggest at least renting it. There's so much hate for the game that's honestly unwarranted, and it's a pretty polarizing game.

So give it a shot and see if you like it. You won't be disappointed.

urahonky on
    edited December 2008
    Raiden, download the demo for Blue Dragon. If you don't like the demo, you won't enjoy the game. If you liked it, then I suggest at least renting it. There's so much hate for the game that's honestly unwarranted, and it's a pretty polarizing game.

So give it a shot and see if you like it. You won't be disappointed.

That's the thing about demos. Nothing to lose.

Right now my hard drive is full, but I'm supposedly getting a 120 gig for Xmas, so I'll check out the demo then.

As for the guy who suggest Vampire the Masquerade, I've beaten it many, many times and love it. Good taste in games, but not quite what I'm looking for right now, thanks.

Raiden333 on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to second Persona 4. It's certainly the most accessible of the MegaTen games, and easily one of the best RPGs of the year.

A duck! on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Vampire off Steam? Think its 10 bucks and its GREAT....cant imagine your machine is to slow run it

Bloodlines?

Yeah, that's a pretty good buy off steam for 10 bucks.

Just make sure you get that fan patch, bare bones game is kinda buggy/shitty.

and don't play a Malk as your first playthrough, save that delicious insanity for the second go.

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2008
    Hmm. I bought Vampire off Steam and played through it without a hitch. You're not the first one to tell me about all the bugs in the game, though, Buttcleft. I'm just curious on what the fan patch fixes if I never ran into anything in my two runs of the game..?

urahonky on
    edited December 2008
    Hmm. I bought Vampire off Steam and played through it without a hitch. You're not the first one to tell me about all the bugs in the game, though, Buttcleft. I'm just curious on what the fan patch fixes if I never ran into anything in my two runs of the game..?

It's pretty hit and miss whether you'll run into any problems. I only ran into tiny glitches in the couple times I played it without the patch. I don't know if I've ever heard about anything but small glitches, even.

To be perfectly honest, I prefer the game without the more recent fan patches. They were all well and good until they'd fixed nearly everything they wanted to. Then they started trying to make the game theirs. When fans do this, the results are usually pretty crappy, and, were you to ask me, Bloodlines is no exception.

Oh, and about Blue Dragon. I think it's awful because it's very much a run of the mill JRPG. And I hate those. I've yet to play a JRPG that wasn't Parasite Eve that was actually good.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I can't find any info on an English version of that game, I just keep running into the Japanese 2005 release. I assume you're running a fan patch? or something?

Yep, here it is.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited December 2008

It's pretty hit and miss whether you'll run into any problems. I only ran into tiny glitches in the couple times I played it without the patch. I don't know if I've ever heard about anything but small glitches, even.

To be perfectly honest, I prefer the game without the more recent fan patches. They were all well and good until they'd fixed nearly everything they wanted to. Then they started trying to make the game theirs. When fans do this, the results are usually pretty crappy, and, were you to ask me, Bloodlines is no exception.

Hmm. Come to think of it, there was one part in the sewers that was really, REALLY hard for my malk for some reason, but my... Ah... I can't remember the other one I made. It was the melee guy that wasn't very intelligent.... Brute? I don't think that's it. Anyway, he made it through in just a few minutes, but I think it took close to an hour (quickloading/saving every few seconds) with the malk. That was probably a bug, but I just thought it was part of the game. :P

e: Oh, that's completely understandable then (about Blue Dragon). I forgot that you are pretty anti-JRPG. I shoulda remembered that from the Mass Effect thread. :)

e2: anti-JRPG sounds negative, let's go with "doesn't enjoy JRPGs". That sounds better.

urahonky on
    edited December 2008

Oh, and about Blue Dragon. I think it's awful because it's very much a run of the mill JRPG. And I hate those. I've yet to play a JRPG that wasn't Parasite Eve that was actually good.

Was Parasite Eve your first JRPG? I'm of the same mind, but for me the only tolerable traditional JRPG has been the Grandia series, because it was the first for me. So many are the same, so I guess after seeing one the rest lose their shine.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Really? Hrm, Last time I played bloodlines was like a year ago, Fanpatch was pretty good then. There was one guy back then who released two different versions of his patch [ one that just reenabled and fixed a buttload of stuff that was left out, and another one that did his own thing iirc ]

Buttcleft on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yep, here it is.

Ah, thanks. I'll try out Ys (looks cool...I'm into anything even vaguely resembling RO).

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited December 2008

Yep, here it is.

Ah, thanks. I'll try out Ys (looks cool...I'm into anything even vaguely resembling RO).

Whoops, looks like I linked you to an incomplete patch there, you'll also be wanting this in addition to that last one.
    It has a the password "felghana" on it. There was some crazy ass bullshit going on with the fan translation of this so tracking down a full and working version of the english patch is a pain in the ass. I wish all fan translators were as professional as those Mother 3 guys.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png