As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Momentum of the Week 17/12/2008 : I will wait for you

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of Spider-Man, I was hoping there'd be something a little more sinister about Harry's resurrection.
    Maybe he was just lying to Peter, though. I mean, it didn't really make sense.

"I thought I was in rehab."
    No, it sounds like he knew why he was alive, but his dad was the one who was lying to everyone. Goblin formula has done this before...a lot. Shit he got hit with a sackful of pumpkin bombs and came back from it.

Still, I didn't like it either. Since this arc is touted as the HARRY TRUTH REVEALED arc I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to it as we go along. As it is, it felt kinda forced just like "you know what Peter/audience fuck it I'll/we'll tell you why I'm/Harry's alive and kicking

Me Too! on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    all I know is the Harry Osborn death story is probably my favorite spider-man story and i guess it's a good thing I don't care about spider-man that much right now

Sars_Boy on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dark Reign = Norman's most elaborate "Kill Spider-Man" plan yet!

Algertman on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Plus he wiped the database.

Yeah that's kind why I used the spoiler box there dude, maybe you should do the same!

Also, fuck all y'all I honestly don't care if they take another couple of months getting to the identity thing. Call me crazy, but I like having something to build towards as opposed to GUYS HERE'S WHAT YOU KNOW AND ALSO HERE IS HOW IT IS RATIONALIZED IN UNIVERSE BOY ISN'T THIS FUN ALL THIS EXPOSITION

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hate it so much (I like building towards things) if I didn't hate where it started from
    with the mindwipe/"it's magic"/MJ/PP aren't married, etc.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited December 2008
    They told us from the beginning how "not married" would work, and while yes how we got to this point was bullshit that really doesn't have any effect on how the stories are told

Admittedly that last part doesn't sound right but you know what I mean, it's not like GOOD THING I MADE A DEAL WITH MEPHISTO OH HO HO HO, there's something else, something logical FOR THEM and we just don't know what it is yet.

Really I'd rather do this than do two months of exposition when this started. Exposition is fucking boring.

Me Too! on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yea, I mean, if it turns out well, I'll be really happy... so far though it seems like they just said, "Hey, we got this thang!" but really they DIDN'T "Got this thang" so they're saying, "Nono, see, this is the PLAN!" and it's making me sceptical. Maybe the super-omnibus will have like 8 pages of layout about how it was all going to work, and it'll be like, "Oh, see we DID got this thang." Of course, they could do that AFTER the fact, but that would be pretty laughable... I'm sure it'd leak at some point that it was done that way, if it was. We'll see!!!

Sorry to de-rail the thread.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of Spider-Man, I was hoping there'd be something a little more sinister about Harry's resurrection.

Maybe he was just lying to Peter, though. I mean, it didn't really make sense.
    For those who're wondering, it turns out that Harry only temporarily died, but was then resurrected by the Goblin serum. Then Norman switched the bodies, took Harry to Europe, and then convinced him he had a drug addiction and needed to undergo rehab, away from the public eye. As a result, he apparently didn't notice that the world thought he was dead.

When he finally did, several months or even years later (it's unclear), he just comes back to the US and says, "Hey guys!"
    Guess Harry's just like his dad.
    Abandoning his son to pretend he's dead for years. Except Harry's son is what, six?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited December 2008
    Yea, I mean, if it turns out well, I'll be really happy... so far though it seems like they just said, "Hey, we got this thang!" but really they DIDN'T "Got this thang" so they're saying, "Nono, see, this is the PLAN!" and it's making me sceptical. Maybe the super-omnibus will have like 8 pages of layout about how it was all going to work, and it'll be like, "Oh, see we DID got this thang." Of course, they could do that AFTER the fact, but that would be pretty laughable... I'm sure it'd leak at some point that it was done that way, if it was. We'll see!!!

I have no idea what you just said. I have a feeling that this little snippet we got this week isn't the end of it, since the whole arc seems to be about Harry's past.

Me Too! on
    edited December 2008
    That's because you have the attention-span of an ADD kid.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited December 2008
    More like that was an incomprehensible word salad

Me Too! on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My momenouts occasion of the week was Issue #250 of Hellblazer. It was masterfully done, even if the art on few of the stories wasnt that spectacular. It reminded me why I read this series.

Moment of the weak, on the other hand is the latest issue of avengers, and me dropping the title from my pull list.

muninn on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This week's issue of WHAT IF was awesome, both for the FF story and the WWF-esque mini-marvels wrapup of WORLD WAR HULK.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This week's issue of WHAT IF was awesome, both for the FF story and the WWF-esque mini-marvels wrapup of WORLD WAR HULK.

Marvel needs to do a better job of wrapping up their mega-series a little bit better. WWH is old, it should've been wrapped up a long time ago. House of M is older still. Why are we still getting books with that name? Or Civil War?

Seriously. Dark Reign is the current event. Nothing should bear any names other than Dark Reign.

Lucascraft on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think "Mini-Marvels" might get a free pass for being behind the times.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited December 2008
    What the heck - MiniMarvel's WWH wrap-up:

IMAGE SPOILERS:
    3005xmu.jpg

iemntz.jpg

t0rklf.jpg

28mehxx.jpg

2ciefk9.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    IT'S THE SENTRY! I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M WATCHING!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I did not come here to write some haikus is ten syllables.

Fencingsax on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Marvel needs to do a better job of wrapping up their mega-series a little bit better. WWH is old, it should've been wrapped up a long time ago. House of M is older still. Why are we still getting books with that name? Or Civil War?

Seriously. Dark Reign is the current event. Nothing should bear any names other than Dark Reign.

Maybe you should look at what those books actually are before you start spouting nonsense.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here's the ending to Spider-Man: Noir.
    SMNoir01020.jpg

SMNoir01021.jpg

SMNoir01022.jpg

SMNoir01023.jpg

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Who's the "I" there? Ben Ulrich?

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited December 2008
    Yep.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My journalist is a junkie?!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008
    MARVEL NOIR! /SteveHolt

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dreamon wrote: »
    Well it had been a boring week comics wisely. I had to defining moments and unfortunately both made me feel terrible about marvel universe.

Avengers: The Initative
    Crusader! They killed the most freaking awesome character of the initative. I knew it was coming but i was kinda secretly hoping that events would turn out to some other way.

Did you miss the last panel?
    He wished himself back to life. They might not even remember shooting him.

Scooter on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Dreamon wrote: »
    Well it had been a boring week comics wisely. I had to defining moments and unfortunately both made me feel terrible about marvel universe.

Avengers: The Initative
    Crusader! They killed the most freaking awesome character of the initative. I knew it was coming but i was kinda secretly hoping that events would turn out to some other way.

Did you miss the last panel?
    He wished himself back to life. They might not even remember shooting him.
    He wished things had ended differently. We have no idea what happened to him, really. He could've just stayed on the skrull side and been killed earlier in the war.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You... you havent been reading comics for long, have you?

Synthetic Orange on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't say that was going to happen, I just said it theoretically could happen.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »

I have no idea what you just said. I have a feeling that this little snippet we got this week isn't the end of it, since the whole arc seems to be about Harry's past.

I think he said that they are only claiming that they have a plan, when in reality they are just winging it.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited December 2008
    Pretty much. Like, they're not going to ever admit otherwise, so for all we know is they're full of crap and will try to write a decent conclusion at some point, but have no freaking idea what it is now.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited December 2008
    They have as much of a long term plan as the folks behind LOST, BSG, or HEROES.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    I think the guys behind lost actually have a pretty good idea where their story is going, since their long term plans only cover like thirty more episodes and they've probably filmed at least eight of those.

Same with BSG because the end of that is even closer!

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2008
    Heroes I'd buy... the other two I feel probably have a stricter plan (as Geebs said). Given the vagueness of when this story is supposed to truely resolve itself, I'm leaning towards "they don't know yet". Who knows, maybe they'll have pages of scripting they'll release later, but I'm sceptical.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited December 2008
    I think the guys behind lost actually have a pretty good idea where their story is going, since their long term plans only cover like thirty more episodes and they've probably filmed at least eight of those.

Right - but as of season 1, episode 1 of BSG or LOST, did they have the entire series mapped out? In that sense, both series are very similar to the state of Spider-Man, post OMD.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    And I think in shows like lost or battlestar galactica, when there is supposed to be big mysteries they plan to address later, they have at least an idea of how you want to wrap things up. Obviously you have to have a little wiggle room because you can't guarantee all your actors are going to stay on the show, for whatever reason, and you can't know how long your show is going to go on.

Heroes, I don't think ever promised to have a huge season spanning story.

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2008

Right - but as of season 1, episode 1 of BSG or LOST, did they have the entire series mapped out? In that sense, both series are very similar to the state of Spider-Man, post OMD.

I think it's similar, yeah, in that they know a few major points, but everything surrounding those details was a bit fuzzy and didn't get determined until they actually got there.

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2008
    Interviews with Ron Moore say otherwise - they had no idea where they were going with the show, or if it would even be renewed, post "Kobol part 2".

Note that I'm not saying this is a bad thing - in my mind, it's a good thing for storylines to be fluid. I just think it's sort of silly for folks to jump on the BND Spider-Man creators for 'not having a plan', when you wouldn't really hold those standards to anything else.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    But we would hold other comic writers of a BIG SERIES to that standard. TV gets cancelled. Spidey does not. At least not without wrecking it to cause it.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited December 2008
    Interviews with Ron Moore say otherwise - they had no idea where they were going with the show, or if it would even be renewed, post "Kobol part 2".

Note that I'm not saying this is a bad thing - in my mind, it's a good thing for storylines to be fluid. I just think it's sort of silly for folks to jump on the BND Spider-Man creators for 'not having a plan', when you wouldn't really hold those standards to anything else.

Well I didn't know that about battlestar galactica, I just kind of assumed he had some idea, the way that show works. It's definitely somewhat true for Lost, though!

DJ Eebs on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MotW-- getting my Christmas present a week early-- Jack Kirby's OMAC!

DouglasDanger on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I can see your point, and there are certain contexts where keeping things fluid and improvised works. It just seems to me that when they began the major status quo shifts of Spider-man, it perhaps would have been a good idea to have a basic plan in mind, since he is an A-list mascot character who you don't want to screw up too much. And it just doesn't seem like they did have such a plan, or if they did, it was a rather vague one.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!