As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet is connected but cannot load websites.

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My dad's laptop has been having some issues lately. It is connected to the internet via WiFi, however, websites and programs cannot access the internet. No web pages load up, and the anti-virus does cannot access the internet to update.
I've downloaded the latest virus definition files on my PC and transferred them to his laptop. I've scanned the laptop, and no viruses have come up.

This is on an XP SP3 machine, and I've turned off the Windows firewall. Other computers connected via wifi are having no issues.

I've checked all the IP and DNS settings and everything seems to be on default (automatic, not static), and I'm not behind a proxy.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• Options
    zz_tophatzz_tophat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Firewall settings?

zz_tophat on
    My mission in life is to be BANNED not because I've broken a rule but because I've said something so mind blowing it BURNS DOWN TEH INTERNETS!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't have any firewalls.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zz_tophatzz_tophat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmmmm... try changing the last number of the IP to one number higher or lower than the computer you are connected to.

So if it's at 111.222.333.444, make that laptop's IP 111.222.333.443

Crazy as that sounds sometimes it works, i don't know why.

zz_tophat on
    My mission in life is to be BANNED not because I've broken a rule but because I've said something so mind blowing it BURNS DOWN TEH INTERNETS!
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i was having a problem very much like this.

it was an ip issue, two systems having the same one. i fixed it by turning off the main house computer, then setting my laptop to automatically grab an ip address, and it took the main computer's ip, and the main computer got its own just fine next time it was turned on.

does your dad have a main house computer that he can steal the ip from?

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Could be lots of things. A dupe IP could be it, but should fix itself once the systems are rebooted.

step one - command line shit.
    From the working PC run 'ipconfig'
    From the problem box run 'ipconfig'
    Verify that the IP is different but that the gateway and subnet mask are the same.

Step two -
    Ping the IP of the gateway.
    Ping google.com
    Let us know if either of these fail.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had a problem like this once. It turned out I had mistyped the router IP in the gateway field.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm able to ping my router and also able to ping websites. These all ping successfully.
    I'm looking at my client log, and none of the devices have the same IP address. I've also checked each device individually to make sure that they have different IP addresses.

I can also confirm that the subnet masks are all the same, across all machines.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you have norton internet security installed? If setup hasn't been completed I've seen prefab computers that had it factory installed have the same problem.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nope, it has AVG installed, as do all my other machines.

This is so damn weird. I've never seen this problem before.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It sounds like you've done just about everything, without more info the only suggestions to give are shots in the dark.

You could try 'netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt' on a command line, but like I said, shot in the dark.

I'll make a longer post that outlines the steps I'd take with internet problems back when I worked front line phone support if that doesn't work.

Edit: Whats the SSID of your router anyways?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know you've said you checked the DNS settings, but can you access a website by putting in it's IP? Try http://208.67.219.230/ for google.

Trentus on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Remove SP3. Seriously. I've had SP3 block off the internet before, once it was removed in safe mode, worked like a charm

blakfeld on
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is just a wild guess but you don't have something like BitDefender installed? Cuz that stupid crap will block everything by default.

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    has the laptop ever gotten internet? silly suggestion, but make sure the ip you are using is in the right ip range for your router

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png