As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OOC me amadeus (Legend of the five rings)

Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
hello again everyone, since the last thread garnered a decent amount of interest and i hated turning people down i'm starting a second L5R game. Players unfamiliar with the setting and system are welcome and in fact even people new to rp'ing in general. We'll still be using the third edition unrevised rules.

particulars:
-PbP
-Decentish posting rate
-Everyone welcome even if
--You don't know about the setting
--You don't know about the system
--You don't know about rp'ing in general

Character creation:
changes from the last thread and the book
-No skill over 3.
-No heritage rolls (they worked out in the last game, but potential is there for things to go screwy).
-The lechery disadvantage is strongly discouraged. (three leches in the other game)
-One extra weapon free of charge Weapons are expensive and you might not want to use a katana.
-Minor clans members and monks are encouraged.

The character hook is, you've all offended the mantis clan for some reason. Your daimyo has 'loaned' you to the mantis in order to make restitution. You're not important enough to really go to bat for, you see. As for player spots lets say another 4 orso, Tangen is in unless his character is just balls terrible (it won't be). Other than that, people unable to join the last game gain precedence over current players of mine (obviously).

Example of how you could have offended someone say: Hiruma Jotaro was a scout sergeant with a distinguished service record and the respect of his superiors. When drunkenly vomiting over a visiting diplomat and then without thinking laughing about it however, being well thought of is not enough to keep your head. Luckily the mantis did not cry out for blood but just asked for the samurai's services. Whatever they have planned will certainly be quite unpleasant.

Empty character sheet:

Name [clan name]
Air:
Earth:
Fire:
Water:
Strength (if attributes are not equal put just jot it down like here)
Void:
School/Rank:
Glory:
Honor:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Kata:
Skills:

Character creation page 88, example thereof page 118
you begin with 45 character points, costs are as follows

Traits: New trait x4: 2 to 3 would be 3x4=12 points
Void: Next rankX4
Skills: New skill: 2 to 3 costs 3
Advantages and disadvantages: 10 points of disadvantages max
Your insight shouldn't go over 149 points.
edit 2: One extra weapon free of charge Weapons are expensive and you might not want to use a katana.

Kitsuki Rei
Otomo Masashi
Hiruma Oda
Matsu Yuri

Canada_jezus on

• TangenTangen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In!

Tangen on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Playing two L5R games at once? Inconceivable!
    That word, it does not mean what I think it means :P

El Skid on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ...I want to play. Very badly. But I just found out we're going to my uncle's house for the holidays after everything's done here and I can't exactly pack up my desktop and take it with me. The only choice I have is to bring my Wii, but it won't let me copy/paste. I saw your rolling was on another site. I have no way to roll on that site and link it here unless I'm willing to type everything out with a Wii Remote or ask someone else to do it for me, which is rude.

I did something to piss someone off, looks like. I really want to play.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This was asked: the dishonorable act can have definitely been done on purpose.

edit: If you're willing to type out stuff on your wii i'm willing to roll for you. Also posting will likely be very slow over the holidays what with them being the holidays.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    This was asked: the dishonorable act can have definitely been done on purpose.

edit: If you're willing to type out stuff on your wii i'm willing to roll for you. Also posting will likely be very slow over the holidays what with them being the holidays.

<.<

Tangen on
    edited December 2008
    Just have a party of total dicks that like being dishonorable. edit: all running around vomiting on visiting emissaries

edit2: also i'll still be posting over the holidays but you know, the holidays are the holidays.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    OK, I'll play the Dragon Magistrate.

:P

Tangen on
    edited December 2008
    Oh hey no if you wanted the scorpion he'd go with the plot, no doubt.

edit: you should do whatever makes you happiest :)

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Oh hey no if you wanted the scorpion he'd go with the plot, no doubt.

I have good ideas for both. But if your being over indulged in that type then I'll play the Dragon.

It's all good.

Tangen on
    edited December 2008
    Name Kitsuki Rei

Air: 2
    Earth: 2
    Fire: 2 (3 Int)
    Water: 3 (4 Per)
    Void: 2
    School/Rank: Kitsuki Investigator 1
    Glory: 1
    Honor: 2.5
    Advantages: Status Position - Magistrate
    Disadvantages: Idealistic
    Skills: Defense 1, Etiquette 1, Kenjutsu 3, Investigation 3 (Notice, Search), Medicine 1, Lore: Law 3, Heraldry 1, History 1

samurai-kitsukitaiko600x450c.jpg

Backstory coming in PM

Tangen on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So this question never really got answered: Can I be a ninja?

Rainfall on
    edited December 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »

Ninja don't exist!

Tangen on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Neither do you!

Smokebomb! *poof*

Rainfall on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd play but someone will have to help me through the character creation process. It's been a long time since I've played Legend of the Five Rings and I don't appear to have any source books for it. The last time a demon killed my Lion just as he ripped out its heart.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Valkun wrote: »
    I'd play but someone will have to help me through the character creation process. It's been a long time since I've played Legend of the Five Rings and I don't appear to have any source books for it. The last time a demon killed my Lion just as he ripped out its heart.

Did you know what you wanted to make?

Tangen on
    edited December 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »

Eeeh, Shoshuro Shinobi no, Daidoji harrier yes.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Tangen wrote: »

Did you know what you wanted to make?

Whoops. Apparently I played a crab, not a lion. Shows just how familiar I am with the setting.

I'm thinking of playing a character far removed from the archtypes I usually gravitate towards. Gruff, foul mouthed, boastful, and absolutely huge. So rough around the edges that he's committed a faux pas even the Crab clan can't let pass.

sshoearth9jr8.png

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Nice nice, keen to see what you come up with beyond that. Also be sure to check into disadvantages that go with boorishness etc

Canada_jezus on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh man I might be really interested in this, but I have absolutely no experience with L5R. If someone could help me out with the character creation process I'd give this a shot.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    Never hesitate to ask anything is what i always say.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Here's my character so far. I'm still thinking on the particulars, so the below is subject to change.

Concept:
    An Otomo (Imperial family) who doesn't see eye to eye with his family re: keeping the great families fighting one another, given the huge threat the shadowlands poses to Rokugan. Also doesn't think much of courtiering in general, and finds he has a great affinity for fighting anyway, so pleads with Daddy and Mommy to be allowed to train with the Crab.

Incorrectly thinking that their child won't be able to handle the Crab (who are basically the total opposite of them in every way), they allow this, thinking to have their child back, tail between the legs in short order.

This doesn't happen- child excels as a bushi and takes the change of lifestyle in stride, seeming to relish it. The Crab, however, have more and more trouble keeping him out of danger (they know what the result of any harm coming to the child of a powerful Otomo would be), and following their initiation into the Hiruma scout school find it hard to keep the child from running into the Shadowlands alone.

Parents and Crab conspire to create a situation where a major incident between the Crab and Mantis happen, and blame the poor child.... who is sent safely away to Mantis lands to work off the debt.

Personality:
    Very straightforward and honourable(part of the reason they didn't see eye to eye with the Otomo). Wants to prove that he can take care of himself and doesn't need his parents' protection, and definitely doesn't ascribe to the class difference between regular samurai and a member of the Imperial Family (he does get the Samurai/peasant difference, I'm not THAT crazy :P). Generally a bit of a loner, would rather be outside than inside generally, due to his being brought up around courtiers (he's used to people manipulating him and not having any way to stop it).

Current Character:

Otomo Masashi
    Honour: 2.5
    Glory: 1

Stats (12 total):
    Air:2
    Fire:3 (12)
    Earth:2
    -Willpower: 3
    Water:2
    Void:2

Skills(13 total):
    Athletics: 3 (3)
    Battle: 1
    Defence: 2
    Hunting:1
    Kenjitsu (Katana): 3 (5)
    Lore(Shadowlands):1
    Stealth: 1
    Courtier: 1 (1)
    Etiquette: 1 (1)
    Meditation: 1 (1)

Advantages(22 total):
    Different School (3)
    Social Position (Imperial Family) (5)
    Bishamon's Blessing (3)
    Quick (3)
    Great Potential (Kenjitsu) (8)

Disadvantages(-2 total):
    Brash (-2)
    Obligation (0 *sniff* </3 CJ)
    Equipment

Katana
    Wakizashi
    Shinjo Horsebow
    20 arrows
    Ashigaru armor
    Black body paint
    One finger of jade
    Kimono
    Sandals
    Traveling packs
    2 koku

Techniques: Ancestral Hiruma Rank 1: +(fire) to TN to be hit, all attack, damage, Bugei skill roles when not in full attack posture

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    What year are we playing in? The Rokugan history is incredibly convoluted and, to be honest, crazy. How many settings have emperors return from the dead to make a claim for the throne century's later? And how many times does Fu Leng come back after being banished?

Not to mention killing the moon in personal combat, the sun committing suicide and both being replaced by mortals?

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Too many. The year is 1066 I believe, reign of Toturi the third. I do not know how many times the dark lord returns, i know there was a second time, but after that i'm not sure.

edit: Well yes, our lady Hitomi and all that. ie my second girlfriend turned into the moon.
    edit: Fu leng returns a third time but goes to heaven to fight instead of chilling out in Rokugan

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Oh man I might be really interested in this, but I have absolutely no experience with L5R. If someone could help me out with the character creation process I'd give this a shot.

If you want take this quiz, it will tell you which clan you lean toward.

http://www.l5r.com/quiz/

But of course you can always just pick one.

Here is a short sum up of each.

Crab: Uncivilized defenders of the empire. They stand on a great wall and fight against undead, goblins, and demons every day while the rest of the empire has tea parties.

Crane: Diplomats and merchants. Also probably the greatest duelists in the empire. Almost every emporer has married a Crane.

Dragon: Half Samurai half monk. Insightful and mysterious. Also probably the greatest duelists in the empire. They fight with both Katana and Wakizashi at the same time.

Lion: The strereotypical Samurai. Greatest army in the land. All about might and honor. Deeply focused on their ancestors and doing right by them.

Mantis: The merchants and sailors of the empire. A little less civilized. The newest of the great clans.

Phoenix: Magic users. Every clan has their magic users, the Phoenix have the best magic users of each ring.

Scorpion: The "villians". The spies, "ninja", masters of secrets. Generally hated and feared by every other clan. But they are loyal above all else.

Unicorn: Think Genghis Khan. All about Horses. A little less civilized.

These are just some stereotypes, each clan has variations within.

Tangen on
    edited December 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Is there still room in this game?

I'm pretty sure the only people so far that are guaranteed spots are the ones that got passed over during the first L5R signups of CJ's. So we have Tangen who is definitely in, with everyone else competing for the remaining 3 spots.

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Name: Hiruma Oda [Crab]
    Air: 2
    Awareness 2
    Reflexes 2
    Earth: 2
    Stamina 2+2 (Hiruma Family, Hiruma Scout School)
    Willpower 2
    Fire: 2
    Agility 2
    Intelligence 2
    Water: 3
    Perception 2 +1 (12 Points)
    Strength 2 +1 (12 Points)
    Void: 2
    School/Rank: Hiruma Scout School, Rank 1
    Dance the Razor's Edge: Move normally while in Full Defense Posture. Add Stealth Skill Rank to TN to Be Hit. All food, water, and jade rations last twice as long as normal.
    Glory: 1.0
    Honor: 2.0
    Advantages: 11 Points
    Absolute Direction (1 Point)
    Crab Hands (6 Points)
    Fleet (1 Point)
    Language: Nezumi (1 Point)
    Large (2 Points)

Disadvantages: 8 Points
    Bad Fortune (1 Point)
    Bad Reputation (2 Points)
    Brash (3 Points)
    Jealousy (2 Points, El Skid's Character)

Kata:
    Skills: 14 Points
    *Athletics 1
    *Defense 1+1 (2 Points)
    *Hunting 1
    *Lore (Shadowlands) 1
    *Stealth (Sneaking) 2
    *Heavy Weapons 1+2 (5 Points)
    Etiquette 2 (3 Points)
    Tea Ceremony 1 (1 Point)
    Battle 2 (3 Points)
    Calligraphy(Crab Clan Cypher) 1 (3 Points)
    Courtier 1 (1 Point)

Outfit:
    Katana
    Wakizashi
    Tetsubo
    Yumi
    10 Willow, 5 Armor Piercer, 3 Flesh Cutter, 2 Humming Bulb Arrows
    Ashigaru armor
    Black body paint
    1 finger of jade
    Kimono and sandals
    Traveling pack
    2 koku

Character Background:
    Born as the second eldest son into a minor branch of the Hiruma Family, Oda was groomed from birth as a scout which the Hiruma are famed for and the Crab clan depend upon for information on their hated enemies within the Shadowlands. From an early age, he was sent on training excursions beyond the borders of his clan. However, as puberty hit, the young Hiruma grew like a mighty tree, even towering above his massive bretheren. Despite constant activity and a restrictive frontier diet, Oda grew heavyset with a thick layer blossoming over his strong frame.

Finding himself slowly falling behind his peers in terms speed and agility, Oda began to suspect that people would whisper and gossip about his place in the school. And his suspicions weren't unfounded. More and more often, the massive runner was having to rely on his heavy iron club and wits to smash pursuers or hide from their hunting eyes. As the years passed, Oda began to grow more jaded and boastful to hide his own insecurities.

As the date of his arranged marriage grew closer, his parents were growing wary of his boarish behavior. At a banquet held by the Yasuki family to which he was marrying, drinking and thoughtlessness led inevitably to less than flattering statements towards a visiting [Mantis Family] conducting trade with their long seperated cousins. Although such barbaric behavior is almost expected of those so consumed with war against the ever present threat of the Shadowlands, his parents saw it as an opportunity to temper their wild son with some sophistication. With little fanfare and barely more than the clothing on his back, the Hiruma clan sent their wayward son off to the Islands of Silk and Spice to save face. Of course, the statements were merely a misunderstanding due to his unfamiliarity with their clan and he would be glad to work under their house to gain a better understanding of their culture. Only when his new liege considers him a master of the Mantis way of life will he be allowed to return home and marry his betrothed.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Jealousy (2 Points, El Skid's Character)

Oh the fun we'll have

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    jdarksun your sheet is totally in order and i like what your character did to earn a bit of punisment detail. Valkun, are you sure you want perception and willpower? If your earth is 3 you'll get a boatload more hp.

also: El skid, Tangen, Jdarksun and valkun are all in the game, if they want to be. I can take one more if need be, so don't be shy.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    So glad I didn't go with the Scorpion idea I had. We never would of made it out of the inn!

Tangen on
    edited December 2008
    Valkun, are you sure you want perception and willpower? If your earth is 3 you'll get a boatload more hp.

It makes more sense concept wise. I'll probably use experience to up willpower first, if he survives that long.

I also like how he's slow for a Hiruma but still faster than everyone else in the group.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    FYI, Valkun- if you want to improve your speed... the fleet advantage costs like 1 point per level, and gives +1 water worth of speed... upping your water costs 24 points D:

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    El Skid wrote: »
    FYI, Valkun- if you want to improve your speed... the fleet advantage costs like 1 point per level, and gives +1 water worth of speed... upping your water costs 24 points D:

I actually did both! But I didn't want to be too fleet and the water circle was just a coincidence from my character concept. Strong and perceptive, but slow and clumsy.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    So...we have 3 people with the brash disadvantage and an idealist.

This should be...interesting :P

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Edited my character- gave him a name (Otomo Masashi), and realized that everyone in the group is 1.5-2 times as strong and fast as I am :(

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Her str is indeed 3. Anyway, i should probably get an ic thread up and going, oy vey. edit: just a little preamble, no diving right into combat or anything.

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Edited my character- gave him a name (Otomo Masashi), and realized that everyone in the group is 1.5-2 times as strong and fast as I am :(
    Diversity is good. Except in disadvantages, apparently; we all share at least one, and most of us are Brash.

Well, we probably wouldn't be in servitude if we knew how to keep our tongues and fist in line.

Techniques you get from your school, do they have to be activated or are they always available? Some of the descriptions give void points that can only be used for other techniques in that school so I'm kind of confused.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    School techniques are always "on," some just give you the ability to spend void in new and interesting ways. Like the Hida bushi school.

In any case, ic thread up, its a flashback and just a little preamble so i can say we started before christmas. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=8316678#post8316678

Canada_jezus on
    edited December 2008
    Yay IC thread!

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Are, are we playing? Because usually when someone says "one week ago", it's like a flashback that's already happened. But if we're actively taking part in this, then it's the present and there'd be no reason to say it's the past.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Well, we'll be flashing forward a week orso once we're all ready to go and you fellows know what your job is. (ie skimming over 7 days at sea). I wanted to try for a fancy flashback start. Sorry if this wasn't clear at all.

Canada_jezus on