As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I bought my neighbors the first WD hardcover, and snagged a copy for myself as well.

Merry Christmas to us!

Also, zombies.

I'd say more, but I haven't read the thread for fear of spoilers.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Nikolai!Nikolai! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you like zombies and you like to read you should check out World War Z by Max Brooks, it looks at zombie apocalypse on a global scale, not in the normal way that they generally only follow a small group of people.

Nikolai! on
    edited December 2008
    Read it? Hell, I've been giving that and the Zombie Survival Guide to everyone I know for christmas for two years running.

Forar on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still refuse to read this thread in fear of spoiling stuff for myself. I just wanted to say I am pumped for vol. 9 (I think that is the next trade).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son!

For a real treat, get a hold of a copy of the World War Z audio book. It is abridged a bit, but only because it is essentially a radio drama version of the book, with each part read by a different actor.

Different actors including Alan Alda, Henry Rollins, Carl Reiner, Rob Reiner, John Turturro, and other folks too!

Evander on
    edited December 2008
    Already two steps ahead of ya, got that sitting on my desk right now. It's not cheap, but it was totally worth it.

I can't wait for the next book to come out; Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks. According to Amazon and Wikipedia, it comes out on June 2nd.

Forar on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maaaaaaaan, is Kirkman about to do the serial killer thing again with Abraham or what

Dorktron9000 on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I guess we'll have to read the next issue to find out.

Then again, when has this book ever followed a formula beyond 'anything can happen'?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just finished reading volume 5. This series is rad.

I'll probably start volume 6 tonight.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • el-bel-b Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    'Then again, when has this book ever followed a formula beyond 'anything can happen'?'

tvtropes.org everything follows a formula lol, seriously i was scared when i saw how many ideas of mine have been done to death by a million other things. and whenever i open that site i'm compelled to devour my computers memory by opening a window everytime i see something epic...i cant run two windows side by side after 20 mins lol.

the new issue was brutal, even kirkman was disturbed making it. dont want to spoil it, just read!

el-b on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has Kirkman said whether or not he has a conclusion in mind for the series, or will it continue on indefinitely?

Robos A Go Go on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has Kirkman said whether or not he has a conclusion in mind for the series, or will it continue on indefinitely?

I think he's always intended it to go on indefinitely.

PolloDiablo on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I loved this series up until
    the Governor somehow survives wounds that should have killed him--sorry, the shock alone would have done the deed
    , and since then haven't been back.

KidDork on
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure that Kirkman is the George R.R Martin of the comic world.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love the series, but the thing that kind of ruined it for me was
    when they kill of Tyree? I can't remember his name its been a while since I've read that comic... I just thought it was a shitty way for him to go.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    fmz65 wrote: »
    I love the series, but the thing that kind of ruined it for me was
    when they kill of Tyree? I can't remember his name its been a while since I've read that comic... I just thought it was a shitty way for him to go.

That's exactly what makes the book amazing. I love that he can write stuff that causes people to write in to the letters collumn saying "I can't believe you did that! This book sucks now and you're a terrible person! And you're racist!"

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I bought the second TPB on a whim. Though it was hard to follow(with the first being leadup) it was still awesome enough to get me to buy all the rest. I think about the time
    Rick had his hand cut off!
    I realized it wasn't another cookie cutter zombie book. I mean you don't damage your main character. They are above it per se.

Spectral Swallow on
    edited January 2009
    Re: the latest issue - you know it's bad when Kirkman has to put a disclaimer into the letter column talking about how uncomfortable he was writing a given sequence.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    After living with the characters for 5 years if he didn't find that hard as hell to describe in exacting detail for a script he wouldn't have a soul.

werehippy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, I was led to believe that nothing actually happened?

Was it any worse than episode of Law & Order: SVU?

Robos A Go Go on
  • TerraneauxTerraneaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, I was led to believe that nothing actually happened?

Was it any worse than episode of Law & Order: SVU?

Don't really watch that show, but this is still the only thing that they have never shown 'on camera' so to speak. But it was really more effective to see the character's reactions. IMHO the dude deserved it after going after a kid like that, but it is still a heavy subject.

Terraneaux on
    edited January 2009
    What issue number is this you're talking about?

I'm just wondering when I'll encounter this huge thing. I have to wait for the trades to come out.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    What issue number is this you're talking about?

I'm just wondering when I'll encounter this huge thing. I have to wait for the trades to come out.

Current issue.

Man.....what a fucked up sequence.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Walking Dead continues to make my jaw hit the floor every ten issues or so.

I like that.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can someone spoiler it for me, I am way behind the trades over here...and also that Law and Order thing, I have no clue what your talking about but it sounds cool!

Venkman90 on
    edited January 2009
    It's not going to sound like a big deal via a spoiler but
    Rick, Carl, and Abraham (new guy) broke off from the main group in order to do a supply run to Rick's old town outside of Atlanta. The plan was to check on the father and son that helped Rick at the beginning of the series and also raid the police station. On the way they're forced to stop on the freeway to rest for the evening. They get snuck up on by some redneck deliverance style people who hold Rick and Abraham at gunpoint whilst one of them begins to take off Carl's pants so he can rape him. Carl fights but gets punched in the face. When things look especially bleak Rick pulls a Jack Bauer and lunges at the guy holding him at gunpoint. Rick tears the guy's throat out with his teeth thus allowing Abraham to kill the other guy while he's distracted. The third guy tries to run (the one doing the raping) but Rick chases him down and kills the ever loving fuck out of him while Carl watches.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Rez StevensRez Stevens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm an idiot for reading that last post, I thought I was up to date. :facepalm:

This series is probably my favourite of all time, mainly because it's like The Wire with zombies - Kirkman's building something here reader, he's building it from scratch . . . and all the pieces matter. :P

I'm still infinitely more enamoured with Tony Moore's artwork than Charlie Adlard's and found it a very jarring change, but it's the writing I stick around for. They could feasibly have made it with stick men and I'd still read it, although Adlard's been growing on me over time, especially with some of the facial expressions.

Would recommend the Evil Ernie comics for anybody as interested in zombies as I am - despite being of their time, the art style and humour always get me. Abused kid kills his parents and neighbours, dies during experimental dream therapy, becomes a zombie with the power to raise the dead and proceeds to bring about Armageddon for the love of a goddess trapped in Hell, all with his sidekick Smiley button in tow. What's not to love? :P

As far as books go, in addition to World War Z - which is already required reading as far as I can tell - I'd highly recommend the Autumn series by David Moody. Just found out it's being turned into a rather awful looking movie though. :( Three novels and one spin-off book (recounting experiences in a similar style to World War Z).

Another is Wet Work by Phillip Nutman - the book is 15 years old but I've yet to see his twist on zombie lore bettered.

Outside books and comics, I don't know how well known Dead Set is outside of the UK, but this. lol Zombies and reality TV shows shouldn't mix, but this does, so fucking well.

Apologies for long post, I do that. :|

Rez Stevens on
    edited January 2009
    Rick, Carl, and Abraham (new guy) broke off from the main group in order to do a supply run to Rick's old town outside of Atlanta. The plan was to check on the father and son that helped Rick at the beginning of the series and also raid the police station. On the way they're forced to stop on the freeway to rest for the evening. They get snuck up on by some redneck deliverance style people who hold Rick and Abraham at gunpoint whilst one of them begins to take off Carl's pants so he can rape him. Carl fights but gets punched in the face. When things look especially bleak Rick pulls a Jack Bauer and lunges at the guy holding him at gunpoint. Rick tears the guy's throat out with his teeth thus allowing Abraham to kill the other guy while he's distracted. The third guy tries to run (the one doing the raping) but Rick chases him down and kills the ever loving fuck out of him while Carl watches.

Jesus

That does sound utterly un-compromising and actually reminds me of The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    with the male child concubines

Venkman90 on
    edited January 2009
    I really have to read The Road before the movie comes out. Thanks for the reminder.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited January 2009
    Moore has been gone from the book for so long, I don't really notice anymore - and regardless, I like the Mignola-esque qualities that Adlard brings to the book. It just works better (for me) than the Art Adams stuff (who is obviously a huge influence on Moore).

I do like that they're doing more double-page spreads these days - it's sort of a sneaky way of putting the book out faster, but they look good and add a bit of a cinematic quality to the book.

Also, spoilers for the latest issue #57
    I love that two issues ago, everyone assumed that Rick and Abraham would kill each other - and now, it looks like they'll end up the best of friends.
    That Kirkman is a crafty mo-fo.

Also, I need to read The Road as well, thanks for the heads-up.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Moore has been gone from the book for so long, I don't really notice anymore - and regardless, I like the Mignola-esque qualities that Adlard brings to the book. It just works better (for me) than the Art Adams stuff (who is obviously a huge influence on Moore).

I do like that they're doing more double-page spreads these days - it's sort of a sneaky way of putting the book out faster, but they look good and add a bit of a cinematic quality to the book.

I love that two issues ago, everyone assumed that Rick and Abraham would kill each other - and now, it looks like they'll end up the best of friends.

Following on that:
    I think it was meant to show us how they are essentially the same person. The only reason we, as the readers stand behind Rick, is because he's our guy. Abraham doesn't have the benefit of an audience. It also gives us insight into just how hardcore Rick has become.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Following on that:
    I think it was meant to show us how they are essentially the same person. The only reason we, as the readers stand behind Rick, is because he's our guy. Abraham doesn't have the benefit of an audience. It also gives us insight into just how hardcore Rick has become.
    I took it a little different.
    Rick is the guy with something to loose and Abraham is the guy who lost everything. Different sides of the same coin. Rick would have been Abraham if Lori died. But we still need to see what happened to Abraham family.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited January 2009
    I got trades 7 and 8 today. I'll make my way through them after work.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Jesus

That does sound utterly un-compromising and actually reminds me of:
    Cormac McCarthys The Road, with the male child concubines

just a heads-up, spoilers are slightly less effective when you only put what you're spoiling inside the spoiler

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Jesus

That does sound utterly un-compromising and actually reminds me of:
    Cormac McCarthys The Road, with the male child concubines

just a heads-up, spoilers are slightly less effective when you only put what you're spoiling inside the spoiler

Aye, sorry about that, I read it back and thought that but forgot to change it, will ammend it now

Venkman90 on
  • Sebastian GreySebastian Grey __BANNED USERS new member
    edited January 2009
    I agree with DasUberEdward! Really powerful stuff! Gee!!!:winky:

Sebastian Grey on
    Hello to all 3d wallpaper fans!
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yaaaay got trade 9 today. Good times. well. not really. there's zombies and stuff. but uh. yeah.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Yaaaay got trade 9 today. Good times. well. not really. there's zombies and stuff. but uh. yeah.
    I liked it. It was a nice transition.

I want Trade 10 so badly...

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    your sig
    best part of the series. i was content thinking the series ended with that trade because of that speech.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD!
    It was my turning point. I read it because it was fun, after that I read because I cared.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto