As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nanostray 2: Because no one will talk about this game

2»

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Woo!

I'm ranked #14 overall worldwide on the online Leaderboards!

that actually says more about the sales of this game than about my skill... you can beat 2 levels in Arcade and rank under #200 easily..

But still, woo!

slash000 on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Follow-up bump post time!

So the game's been out for, what, 8 months by now? Plenty of time for people to have bought the game and beat it, or returned it because of how hard a game it is and allowed another person to buy the game used. Or perhaps you did what I did: Play the game for a bit, shelve it to get back into the games you were already playing when you bought it, then return to this game when the time was right.

I finally got back into this game about a week ago, and I'm still just as horrible in the game. :P I haven't beaten it yet, but I have made it to all of the levels, so I can at least practice for them in Arcade and then try to make a go for it in one shot in Adventure. And then there's the Simulators and Challenge modes. I just need to get through the last set of challenges. They're definitely easier compared to the first Nanostray game, but there are some moments in this game where they're difficult in their own right. (I'm looking at you, C-section's hyperspeed maze of "get through the course without dying"!)

What setup of weaponry have you been trying? Do you mix up the satellite position in each level, or have you set it up in a way that will always work for you regardless of what level you're in? And what about the subweapons?

Regarding the satellites, I've been trying a mix of both but I'm leaning more to the latter. I've kept a forward shot parallel to the main gun. They're both just enough far apart and close enough at the same time to act like one big gun. Then I have them firing 45 degrees above/below the main gun, which works perfectly when three rows of enemies appear at once and you can take them all out at the same time with ease, and also for when a level rotates. The third satellite setup is what's been getting changed. At first, I was trying having them fire directly behind my ship for horizontal levels (like the first setup's forward gunfire only opposite in direction), and for the vertical levels put the satellites at the front of the ship but fire 90 degrees to the main gun. This allows me fire at incoming waves while covering my ship behind something solid to protect me from their fire.

But lately, I've been trying having those 90 degree guns directly above/below the ship for all levels, as it's just easier on your instincts to know where your ship is based on where you're firing if you're not looking at your ship for a moment.

As for the subweapons, I'm limited to only three of them (Seeker, Raydion, Spin) because of the setup of my satellites as they can't fire behind my ship. And I've only noticed Spin being useful at draining the energy of bosses.

Well, there's my experiences with the game so far. What are some of yours?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Been forever since I played this. But I can tell you my satellite setup. Position 1 has them aiming forward parallel to the main gun to act as a more powerful shot, then position 2 I have them aiming not quite up and down from my ship but slightly tilted forward, because this helps shooting incoming (from above) enemies as well as enemies up against rightward walls, and lastly I have the third position set so that they fire at 45 degree angles behind me, which is a good middle ground for the rear because you can hit enemies above and behind you this way.

I can't remember what big weapon I ultimately used the most. It wasn't the big blue laser though it was something else. I want to say a bomb like thing, or maybe the yellow seeking laser..

slash000 on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That "bomb like thing" is probably Ionstrike. I've only found that to be truly useful in the first level for those giant ships, but the Ionstrike is unavailable to you until you beat the first level in Adventure, so it can only be used there in Arcade mode.

I finally beat this game today! On easy! And down to my last life! The game isn't that hard, it was just a lot of mistakes and bullshit that happened. I could swear there are times when the hitball goes beyond my ship while I'm moving, kinda like how the satellites move with your ship.

I kept the satellites the same as what I mentioned in my last post, used Raydion for the first 6 levels, Seeker for the last 2. The midbosses and bosses in those two levels require you to be at a distance, and there's plenty of stuff that come at you in all directions while I can only fire above me and forward, so I used Seeker to make sure every single bit of that subweapon health is unleashed on the enemies.

Question about endgame cutscene/credits:
    This is the only important part about it.
    "To be continued..."

Is this one of those things that means there will be a Nanostray 3? Or does it mean that I need to beat the game on Normal and Hard to get a true ending?

And I have a star on the title screen now. That's for beating the game, obviously. But does anyone know if I'd get 2 stars for beating it on Normal, and then 3 stars for beating it on Hard?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558