As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Online] - Powered by Unreal Engine 8

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
default_0.jpg

And another MMO enters the scene! Welcome "Mortal Online" as the latest newcomer to try and find success in this harsh business.

To make a long story short; it is a fantasy MMO(FPS)RPG with pretty graphics focused on the sandbox environment. If you want details, they can be found on the site, but rest assured that this game, much like EvE or Ultima Online, will cater to the group of internet people who enjoy a game focused on a more freeform type of PvP and PvE - where players make up the rules. It will be interesting to see how they pull it off.

Interview with lead designer

For those who might not be familiar with the game, can you tell us a little bit about Mortal Online?

Mats Persson:
Mortal Online is a first-person sandbox MMO set in a believable fantasy environment. Although the game is not necessarily about PvP, its core is built around player skill and PvP as opposed to experience points, levels and a PvP-mode glued on top. Mortal Online revolves around player-to-player interaction more than solo-journeys and quests; it has full loot, sandbox crafting, housing and very seldom follows the streamlined design-rules and automated systems of modern cookie-cutter MMO's. In short, it's a niche skill-based fantasy game for a mature audience. The game is currently in Beta stage with nearly 10.000 accounts.

It's very difficult to describe Mortal Online in a few sentences as it is very different from most of the MMOG's out there. Now please understand I don't use that cliché for marketing purposes, it simply is a niche game that some will like because of its unique approach and some won't because it's too different from their style of play or what they are used to. The game does not necessarily build on or "learn" from the errors or the steps taken by big-name MMO's; it's designed from scratch simply because we want to evaluate each design-choice from the questions:

* How does it affect player skill and player interaction?
* Is it believable and immersive?
* While staying true to the above, what's our take on it and how do we make it fun?

It's very easy to see that many of the systems in modern MMO's are there to actually take away from the amount of player skill and player-to-player (PtP) interaction needed, whether it is minimaps, auto-maps, levels, quests, auto-loot, auto-loot-distribution, auction-houses, global chat etc. It makes them fun and gives them a flow, but it also makes them casual as anyone can play without much thought (and that's also where the big money is). Now obviously we want Mortal Online to be fun to play and successful, but we're not ready to make compromises on our design principles: Player Skill, Player Interaction and PvP, Immersion and Believability. Therefore a lot of the features one would expect to see in a modern MMO are different, or we have simply removed them.

Why the decision to make the game fully first person POV?

Mats Persson:
There are several reasons behind this decision. During the prototyping of the game we experimented a lot with different view-options, but it soon turned out that the aim-based combat we strived for was next to impossible to implement in third-person view without a lot of immersion-breaking graphical gizmos (Mortal Online is aim-based and features several hit zones just like Age of Chivalry, Unreal etc.) Furthermore it became close to impossible to sneak up on people for stealing from or an ambushing them, it became too easy to look around corners etc and all this took away a lot of the tactical elements of the game not to mention immersion. Additionally, I personally wanted a game where I didn't feel like I was watching my character and giving orders by pressing buttons; I wanted to be the character.

In the end we went all-in on first-person view and built the game around it; from aiming in combat, first-person footsteps synched to movement, double-vision when getting exhausted, blood and sweat in your eyes, first-person spell-effects etc, to mounting a horse by taking the reins and getting tunnel vision at high speeds. This is also fundamentally different from MMO's that offer a "first-person view" by zooming the camera all the way in, where you just feel like a bodiless levitating camera and get a ton of graphical glitches as the game is not meant to be played that way.

Many people, some of them on our forums, say they like third-person view more and want us to include an option for it. Although I do understand them it would become impossible to balance out the differences between the two modes due to the reasons stated above. I also think that request has to do with the play-style of the games they have previously played in third-person and the assumption that Mortal Online is somewhat like those games. It isn't, and to me it's like suggesting a third-person view for Counterstrike; it would perhaps work if you solved the aiming-issue, but it would nevertheless be a totally different game.

Are you concerned that as an independent development studio looking to break into the MMO market that your game will be overshadowed by big studio games?

Mats Persson:
No. Mortal Online is a niche game and we don't see ourselves as competitors to the big names out there. To be big you have to have mass-appeal, and to have that you will have to cater to casual players, in turn meaning lowering the difficulty of everything from combat, PvP and crafting, and introduce a whole dimension of solo-play features such as quests and story progression, not to mention easy-to-understand concepts like levels and classes. And that's the opposite of our game.

Instead we hope to attract a core audience and grow slow but steady by delivering something different, and I come to think of EVE Online that I have very much respect for. I do think we will have an initial inflow of players (small for the other companies but big to us) from other games wanting to test our game, but I honestly think most of them will go back to whatever it was they played before. We hope to be able to keep those who are looking for sandbox game play, PvP based on player skill, or simply something genuinely different - but those who just want another cookie-cutter MMO with different graphics (this time set in first-person) will probably be disappointed.

Can you tell us about the advancement system in Mortal Online?

Mats Persson:
Mortal Online has no levels or generic experience points, only skills. You advance by practising your skills, by using them in the game. At the same time we want new players to be able to actually make a difference early on, so the so called Primary Skills won't take much time (approximately a week or so) to fully master. When this is done you are fighting on the same terms as anyone else, character-skill-wise. Now, as combat in Mortal Online has a lot to do with player-skill you will probably have to practise a lot longer before you can compete in a one-on-one fight, just like in a FPS game, but at least there are no virtual numbers that decides the outcome of your battles, it's your own skill.

The Primary Skills are essentially keys that unlock Secondary Skills. There is a cap on the number of skill points for the Primary Skills, so you have to experiment with how to train (or re-train) your character as those decide which Secondary Skills you can use. The Secondary Skills are the bulk of the skill-tree and takes a lot longer to master. In everything that has to do with PvP they will only give you a slight edge in a one-on-one fight, but they will for instance let you use several different weapons, fight more opponents before resting, take better care of your weapons etc. Many of the Secondary Skills are not directly related to PvP, like gathering, crafting, taming etc.

This means that although there definitely is character advancement in the game (by character skills and getting better equipment), most of the advancement is based on playing experience and player skill. You have to experiment and learn which weapons suits your particular playing style as there are no "best" weapons. You have to experiment with skill-builds to do the same. And you will have to learn how to evaluate mobs and your opponents (as there are no levels) and how to fight different skill-builds and weapons. If you are into crafting, you will most probably be able to find a sub-set of a sub-set to specialize in and be famous for thanks to the multitude of possibilities in customization.

Can you tell us how classes work in MO?

Mats Persson:
There are no classes in the game. I'd better say this first to avoid confusion, as by "classes" most people mean some kind of template you choose from the beginning of the game that also defines your character's options and progress in the game. And no, we don't have anything like that.

What we do have are certain "professions/careers/pursuits" you can choose to pursue in the game. I'd rather not call them classes. Basically, there are NPC Guilds (as in medieval confraternities of workers, i.e. a Tinkers' Guild, or secret societies) you can join if you fulfill their initial requirements. These organisations are not to be confused with player guilds or clans; you can of course be a member of both. Joining an organisation can give you a title and certain benefits, sometimes in the form of special abilities and/or skills. But at the same time you have to give up something, like the option to fully customize your skill-tree to your liking, money or time etc. It's definitely not always the "best" choice. This is a general and very basic description of how this concept will work, as you will have to find and explore these possibilities in the game yourself.

Can you tell us how combat will work in Mortal Online?

Mats Persson
Combat is initiated by drawing your weapon, meaning you enter combat mode. This is very seamless and simply means you enter your combat stance, where you will be slightly more protected at the cost of movement speed and more stamina drain when moving fast. This takes care of bunny-jumping and too fast circle-strafing. Combat on mount is the same as combat on foot; you have no virtual restrictions on what you can do or not on a mount, and your mount can also be trained, equipped, hurt, killed or stolen (and you can not put it in your pocket). Needless to say, mounts and mounted combat fill an important role in the game.

There is no "targeting"; the combat is aim-based and you charge and strike in the direction you want. Each character features several hit-zones or "hit boxes". As each hit box has its own armour part, there is no generic defence value or "AC" and that makes a huge impact on combat. Simply put, if your opponent lacks protection on his/her left arm that may be a good spot to aim for. Likewise, you may choose to use more flexible armour on your right arm to increase the speed of your strikes, but at the cost of protection. The hit boxes also means that you can do more damage by hitting your opponent's head and that you have a slight chance to disarm him/her if you land a blow on his/her sword-arm. Furthermore the weapons and shields have their own hit boxes; it's possible (and recommended) to actively block strikes by holding up and aiming your weapon and/or shield against your opponent's blow. Characters also have general collision, meaning you can block the path of your opponent and even push him/her.

Archery uses trajectories, meaning it's possible to shoot over walls or in fact straight up in the air hitting yourself in the head on the arrow's way down. The aiming-techniques for spells depend on what spell you want to cast. Some spells shoot in a straight line, some are like archery, some use a cone or a sphere for hit detection, others are projected onto a surface, while a few use targeting and are homing. However, we have chosen to only have a handful of important spells for direct PvP-combat. It's tempting to go wild and design a multitude of combat spells, however we want mage-duels to be about coordination, reaction and possible counters, and it's simply not possible to predict your opponent's next move if there are too many combat spells. Ultima Online is definitely our biggest inspiration here.

No targeting, first-person view, character collision and hit boxes also means tactical manoeuvres and training in groups becomes very important. You cannot have archers or mages randomly sending in projectiles or AOE's into the midst of battle as they risk hitting their own. Furthermore it's possible to really use the environment by taking advantage of line-of sight, choke points, terrain height etc.
MMORPG.com:

PvP is going to be a major focus of the game. Can you tell us how that system will work?

Mats Persson:
The game has it's foundation in PvP, meaning both the rules around PvP as well as a purposeful, exiting PvP experience. Don't get me wrong here, it's not to say you have to PvP in the game, but I personally don't believe you can design a PvE game and then add some PvP features in afterwards and get a great result. Purposeful PvP inevitable has consequences on the whole game design and playing experience, and a big game always run the risk of scaring away its casual customers if that impact is too deep. Already by having full loot, we are steering Mortal Online into a niche genre.

So, the game has full loot, meaning if you die someone can loot all your equipment. You are also free to fight anyone anywhere. But there are also consequences, administered by the players themselves as well as a flagging system. The flagging system keeps track of your actions and sets your flag accordingly. If you for instance steal from or kill someone that's innocent (neutral) you will be flagged as a criminal or murderer. People can call the guards on you if you are in a guard zone, some NPC's won't trade with you etc. For murderers additional penalties apply. The flagging system is deep and very hard to explain by words, but pretty easy to grasp when playing.

It's also worth mentioning that guilds at war will not be affected by the flagging system. It's very possible to fight out your battles in a city, attacking and killing members of the opposing guild will not lead to a murder flag. You are still flagged if you attack other people though.
MMORPG.com:

What tools will be available to guilds?

Mats Persson:
Guilds can be formed when someone owns a large enough house or building and then acquires and activates a Guild Stone. The guild stone (and building) then acts as the central point for the guild where members are accepted, promoted and titled. Declaring wars are made with the guild stone and it can also upgraded with more abilities such as guild chat. Guild property is administered by storage spaces such as chests, with the ability to set rights. There will be a lot more to guilds, especially when it comes to building upgrades, keeps and fortresses, but I'm afraid it's too early to talk about as many of these mechanics and sieging most probably won't be in at launch. We have decided on getting a solid foundation for one-on-one and group-vs-group combat before we move on to the next step, although a lot of it is planned and some aspects already tested.

What kind of options are available to players who might prefer to play solo?

Mats Persson:
I have mostly been talking about the PvP aspects of the game, but there are indeed a lot of features that has to do with solo-play. Gathering, refining, crafting and building are typical examples. The sandbox crafting is definitely worth mentioning, as the weapon crafting alone has over 142 million possible combinations of grips, handles, blades, heads and materials - not counting bows or shields. The armour crafting has even more options. Each piece and material has its own pros and cons and there's no such thing as a "best" weapon, not even a "best" sword, or a "best" short-sword. Instead players will have to try different compositions to suit their skills and playing style, and often discuss the various options with you as a blacksmith.

"Gathering" or "farming" in Mortal Online is also rather different. You actively have to hunt many animals as they will flee and not mindlessly attack any player in their vicinity. Also, neither bears nor terror birds drop gold or swords, and their value instead lie in meat, skin, teeth/beek and bone, if you have the skills necessary to skin and process them. Many creatures act in groups, and the more intelligent ones will use different tactics depending on who they fight and what happens to their group. Rare locations, items, creatures and ingredients will have to be searched for and that can be done alone or in small groups.

As the NPC vendors will only sell the most basic items and only very few creatures will drop crafted items, the crafting and economy is player-driven. There is a lot of money to be made in both crafting and trade, and logistics and transporting of goods (and defending these caravans) will be very important.

There are no regular "quests" in Mortal Online. There are however a lot of events, special places, artefacts, and rare creatures and beings in the world waiting to be discovered, used, protected or killed. Exploring the (map-less) world and finding the clues to these quests, puzzles or enigmas can often be made solo if you are prepared to take the risks.

Nothing of this is really solo-play, as eventually you will have to sell your masterpieces to other players to make money, or you will have to agree with another player to transport his or her goods someplace. Or you may have trained a skill to perfection and written some skill books that you need to sell to other players to get money. I do understand that a Massively Multiplayer Online Game doesn't have to be about people actually interacting online, but however strange it may sound this is what Mortal Online is about.

What, in your opinion, are the features that set Mortal Online apart from the competition?

Mats Persson:
If you've managed to read this far, I hope I've been able to shed some light on what those features are. We are not afraid our game won't stand out; rather we're afraid people will find it a bit too different ;)

For those of you who want to know more and get a better overview of the game, I can recommend the PowerPoint presentation at http://www.mortalonline.com/files/presentation/MortalOnlinePresentation.rar (You don't need PowerPoint to watch it, just read the included .readme file on how to start it.)

I would also like to take the opportunity to mention that if you are quick you may still have a chance to pre-order a boxed or Digital Download version of the game. As a bonus the pre-orders give free access to the Beta all the way to launch, planned for Q4 this winter. Please see https://account.mortalonline.com.

Thank you for reading, hope to see you in game!

LINK TO OPEN BETA REGISTRATION:
http://www.mortalonline.com/content/open-beta

Teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqko1Xuv8wQ

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxctAqDcFFQ&fmt=22

The game is small time indie material, but does it have the potential to become the next UO or EVE? Try the beta and find out, I guess!

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Neat, I was hoping someone would start a thread on this. So I just found out about this game today, and I have to say I'm fairly impressed with what they've got so far. At the very least, its nice that there's an open world MMO in development that doesn't carry Darkfall's stigma. Or its awful character models.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish them luck.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I mostly want this game for the first person view<3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    True dat. If they can get that to work, along with the real time combat and skill systems, I can't see myself not playing this for at least a little while. Even better if they can make open pvp and full loot intense but not infuriating.

With the little concrete info we have now, my main concern is how intense and accurate the system reqs will be. I got burned with WAR because it looked like I met the system reqs, only to have the thing refuse to work.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2008
    They're starting beta pretty soon, I know a few people in it.

The targeting thing seems really confusing to me on paper, but in practice I'm sure it's pretty simple.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it possible to make a game with the unreal engine that doesn't look like it belongs in the horror section? I don't want Candyland, but some variety would be nice. Also, the villager in that second screen shot looks creepy as fuck, I think I'd rather be in a dark alley with the axe-wielding knight.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You know what you're getting with the knight, but the villager is a bag of tricks I tell ya.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    well I think the villager is a half orc/half human, like the one in the trailer

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    They're starting beta pretty soon, I know a few people in it.
    Is there any concrete info on this, ie anything worth putting in the OP?
    The targeting thing seems really confusing to me on paper, but in practice I'm sure it's pretty simple.

From what I can tell, you just hold and release a button to target something you want keep track of. For everything else its regular FPS point-and-shoot (or swing).

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Whats really odd is how good the graphics are compared to darkfalls, i mean they spent nearly 8 years developing it yet mortal is promising just as much with way better graphics. I really do hope they make the game because darkfall has taken its sweet time and it needs some fire from a competitor to make them get off their asses. I heard they wont cater to the hardcore though because it will have alot of PVE where darkfall is evil and is pure pvp, i've had enough of the split from WoW i want a pure pvp game so darkfall might still win in that department depending on what these games do after release.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    They did spend 8 years developing darkfall, but they did so with a very very small and inexperienced development team. If anything, it makes sense that Darkfall looks so shoddy when you take their development process into consideration.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I mostly want this game for the first person view<3

Definately. Looks really fun and interactive. If they can do it properly count me in on this.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honestly if it isent FFA pvp with full loot they shouldent even bother making it because WoW does everything else better. Darkfall is so amazing because you guarentee that you wont get the stagnation that is WoW while hopefully avoiding the grind of Eve and with the intense combat system you'll keep the fights constantly interesting and exciting because in the end thats what keeps everyone in the game. The power gamers are a great way to forecast the long term because they do what a casual gamer does except 10x faster, if they get bored with combat and grinding then you'll know that eventually the casual gamer will get there and experience the same.

I played everquest and i was forever changed by it, now i look at expansions and dungeon ladders with horror because i know NOTHING GOOD will come of it, they always lead to expansions and gear escalation that in no way improve game play. The only way to avoid this is to mix pvp with the PVE like WAR did but even then unless you focus on pvp eventually someone is going to hit that PVE ceiling and get bored. If you have pure pvp they will constantly hit other players instead of the PVE ceiling, you can experience defeating a dungeon but a player dungeon instead of a NPC dungeon.

Eve online is another great example of pvp over PVE, you had people rotting in empire for years never advancing to far while people in 0.0 taking part in the constant pvp combat experienced in 1 day more then the empire dweller experienced in a friggin year(true story cause its mine). You had other players become the top of the food chain but they in turn had to turn around and fight for it so you constantly had something to do where the pve aspect always ends unless you juice the crap out of your player base with expansions. FFA full loot pvp is the only way for MMOs, the computer just doesnt cut it anymore.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well it is FFA PvP. Not sure if it's full loot, but I know there will be some form of player looting.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As long as the crouch button allows you to teabag your fallen opponents, I think the players will be okay.

Me? I'll start taking FFA PvP seriously when there are real in-game consequences to random murderage instead of solely metagame consequences.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thought the thread title said "Mortal Kombat Online" and I was thinking "This is going to end horribly."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    the monthly update is late :(

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Props to them for trying something a little different with the first person view, but the design isn't thrilling me.

I'm all for FFA PVP, but it isn't executed well these days. Age of Conan was a mess.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darkfall had a neat idea as far as open PVP goes.

You wanna murder a caravan of traders? Fine

Oh look at that, the city, and allied cities of the traders are full of NPC guards, and they all want you dead. Interesting.

Whereas, to my understanding, in AoC, if you murder a guy, theres no real punishment yet. The jail system they were talking about in it sounds cool though.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Darkfall had a neat idea as far as open PVP goes.

You wanna murder a caravan of traders? Fine

Oh look at that, the city, and allied cities of the traders are full of NPC guards, and they all want you dead. Interesting.

Whereas, to my understanding, in AoC, if you murder a guy, theres no real punishment yet. The jail system they were talking about in it sounds cool though.

There was always some sort of system in mind, but it didn't make it into AoC till recently.
    It seems like it kind of discourages just hacking people up at random.
    Which is lame.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No, its good. If you have an MMO where theres no penalty for hacking dudes up at random, only the "hardcore" pvpers play. Which screws over people like me who play slightly more than casually, and my wife who only plays casually.

If you want a 100% PvP game, go play counterstrike. Dont whine when a dev team puts in a punishment system for needlessly killing others.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    And let us not even consider all the faction you would be pissing off my slaughtering traders. IF there are any NPCs at all in the game, they need to have their own motivations/factions/goals.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    No, its good. If you have an MMO where theres no penalty for hacking dudes up at random, only the "hardcore" pvpers play. Which screws over people like me who play slightly more than casually, and my wife who only plays casually.

If you want a 100% PvP game, go play counterstrike. Dont whine when a dev team puts in a punishment system for needlessly killing others.

I guess this is what the opposite side of the "lol go play WoW carebear" argument looks like.

Being able to kill anyone you want doesn't screw over casual players, just the ones who are too stupid (or unlikable) to find a group to travel in.

I'm not saying 80's smashing 20's in the face is cool, I just don't see why someone on an pvp server should have the option to basically punish someone of the same level that wants to kill them.

Also I'm not really whining, just pointing out one of MANY things I find flawed with the game.

I'd probably play it and be fine with the PVP system if the rest of the game wasn't so broken.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I regard totally free PVP in a game with a level based advancement system to be a flaw. I regard any game system where a player can be attacked 1 vs 1 without an ambush being involved and have zero percent chance of winning to be flawed, never mind a level 80 going through and wiping out an entire NPC town solo while all the lowbies seethe about not being able to complete any quests...

I feel that if you pick a fight there ought to be real risk involved, and real consequences. Otherwise you are just encouraging dickish behavior.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    OronisOronis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why do people always use the max level vs low level comparison even when the game is not going to be level based?

Other than that, I think its almost impossible to balance any game to make every situation fair for both sides of a pvp fight.

Unless of course every is identical, everyone has the same latency, same computer, starts in combat range, and can not move in any direction.

Oronis on
    CoX: @Robotjustice
    XLive: Oronis
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Because it is convenient and it seems to happen in EVERY GAME OUT THERE. Even if the game system is not level based, if it accomplishes the same thing by means of a skill tree system or whatever then there is no functional difference as far as the example is concerned.

I personally would prefer a system where all stat boosts or extra abilities came from equipment. Sure you could have super huge damage toting around that plasma cannon and awesome defense in that powered armor, until you died and someone else took it off of you...

Edit: And also, if you were not wearing your awesome gear for whatever reason then you would be equivalent to anyone else who didn't have the gear. I am not asking for a totally level playing field, I know that is kinda dumb. I just want a game where the underdog is capable of leveraging advantages and winning. If my only chance of beating you at all relies on you going AFK then the game system is flawed, in my not so humble opinion.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My ideal game would have all players of equal caliber, where instead of leveling your character up, you specialize your character to suit your style. The amount of points that you have to allocate to your characters attributes never changes, they're just shifted around. An analogy would be a ball of putty, where the character starts as a perfectly rounded ball but as he stretches (specializes) in one area, other areas give in.

Gear should provide small, temporary boosts to your attributes (or other utility), but should be "easy come, easy go." When you die, what you're wearing should be lootable by players and also creatures. If you want it back you can try and hunt down whoever has it, but you're going to be in a weaker state then you were when you were killed. This encourages resource management, and a sensible player would have a store of equipment/gold to re-outfit himself. It also provides for attrition during a battle between factions, because eventually the team who is unprepared / poorly played will have to tuck tail and run because they can no longer compete.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There was a game I used to play that had a pretty good system: you had to level spells and melee fighting, but all leveling did was up the damage done. you could actually kill the hardest creatures of the game at the very beginiing, but it was pretty fucking hard.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My ball of putty would specialize in mouths. With teeth. That are sharp.

I've never understood the preference some people have for 1st person perspectives, particularly in RPG type games. In shooters it makes sense in a way because it allows for better aiming, but even in shooters and especially in open-world games, 1st-person is such a limiter. It's like walking around with my hands cupped around my eyes... i.e. no peripheral vision whatsoever.

I prefer to see my character doing stuff, and I also like to see what's happening around my character so I can react to stuff that isn't directly in front of him. Maybe with the advent of these new curved monitors, games can incorporate a broader field of view, but until such time as that's commonplace, 1st-person seems like an inferior choice for just about any game.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Being able to kill anyone you want doesn't screw over casual players, just the ones who are too stupid (or unlikable) to find a group to travel in.
    Or people who want to be able to play at any time without needing to depend on the availability of others.
    You know, casual players.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My ball of putty would specialize in mouths. With teeth. That are sharp.

I've never understood the preference some people have for 1st person perspectives, particularly in RPG type games. In shooters it makes sense in a way because it allows for better aiming, but even in shooters and especially in open-world games, 1st-person is such a limiter. It's like walking around with my hands cupped around my eyes... i.e. no peripheral vision whatsoever.

I prefer to see my character doing stuff, and I also like to see what's happening around my character so I can react to stuff that isn't directly in front of him. Maybe with the advent of these new curved monitors, games can incorporate a broader field of view, but until such time as that's commonplace, 1st-person seems like an inferior choice for just about any game.

From a utility perspective, I agree. Unless you're aiming over a long distance, you get a lot of advantage by being able to see all around you. I don't get the same sense of immersion though. Sometimes I zoom all the way in in WoW to play first person every once and a while, and the game feels entirely different, and far more engrossing. It's impossible to play as effectively that way though.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't see how this game is any less suspicious than Darkfall, other than the fact that they seem to have responsible developers behind them and haven't missed a deadline yet.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aren't those things the main problems with darkfall?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I'd say what makes darkfall suspicious is the fact that it has been in development for just about forever with multiple release dates broken and shady promises being made

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say what makes darkfall suspicious is the fact that it has been in development for just about forever with multiple release dates broken and shady promises being made

I hope they port it over to the Phantom

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    MrSupaflyMrSupafly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You guys are completely missing whats important.

"Choose to believe in one of the Gods and watch its power grow. Fight heretics and burn their temples to rob their Gods of power. Or start a new cult: with enough believers your God might be powerful enough to enter the Pantheon."

We need to start voting on god names ASAP.

MrSupafly on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MrSupafly wrote: »
    You guys are completely missing whats important.

"Choose to believe in one of the Gods and watch its power grow. Fight heretics and burn their temples to rob their Gods of power. Or start a new cult: with enough believers your God might be powerful enough to enter the Pantheon."

We need to start voting on god names ASAP.

Oh fuck.

I'll be all over this if it means I can help manifest some incedible Penny Arcade dick-god.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Merch

Junpei on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    the dickbandit

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg