As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Tournament (OOC Chatter)

gredavingredavin Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
Is your blade sharp enough? Your arcane power strong enough? The aim of your bow true enough?

Come then, savage, and prove your worth in the Gates of Dawn! Spill the blood of your adversaries and claim the adoration of the citizens of Longbank! Glory and gold be yours, if you survive long enough. So sharpen your blade and shine your armour, the glory of the gods await you!

This is an elimination gladiator challenge using D20 D&D. Using the core rulebooks, you will create a character who you think will advance to the next level of play. If you lose, your corpse is bird meat, if you win, you advance a level and move onto the next round. Interested? Guidelines below.

- 3.5 Player's Handbook only!
- 32 Point buy build.
- 3rd Level
- Maximum starting gold for your class (as though you were creating a 1st level PC however)

Sign up closes on Wednesday, February 7 and PC's must be in by Friday, February 9th.

The Tournament:

If you lose, you die. Simple as that, you are eliminated.

If you win, you immediately gain a level. Also, each round has rewards for victory, which will be awarded at the conclusion of the bout. I will keep your class in mind for reward.

As the matches progress, I will be throwing in variables that will change the difficulty and tactics of the bouts. This can range from weather to terrain changes. These will require new ways to approach your fights, mainly to keep things from getting stale.

Here is the arena:

01_MAWMay2006_72_ppi_fjh2o3.jpg

Group A
Bout #1
Karog

}
Karog
Aadarion
}

Bout #2
Japheth Marvel
}
Raheem Magnus
Raheem Magnus----}

Group B

Bout#3
Kadek Grielsionne--}

Truck the Robust----}

Bout #4
Fae
}
Leon Crasen
}

Group C

Bout #5
Elerik Thorndown---}

Arq
}

Bout #6
Lastethar
}
Logath Thrant
}

gredavin on

• SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd be happy to play a Gelatinous Cube.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In.

I'll probably try playing a wizard of sorts, but with only second level spells, it's going to be a tad bit of a pain.

EDIT: Only 1-st level starting gold? On a third level character?... It'd be better to go by WBL.

Will edit later with link to character.

Legoman05 on
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gold as though you were creating a 1st level PC. (even though you are making a 3rd level.)

gredavin on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How would this be played?

PbP? E-mail? ICQ or some other messenger?

If the former two, how often will we need to post? If the latter, what times are we looking at playing?

The Everyman on
    edited February 2007
    This will be run via PbP, I will set up individual threads for the fights. I will be using the above map and I will use Corel to place mini's on the map which will be updated every round.

You will give a narrative (I want there to be some RPing) and then in an OOC section at the bottom, you'll give your combat orders. We will use Invisible Castle for logging dice rolls.

Also, there will be bonus items for fan favourite, where in this thread people can vote for their favourite character/battle at the end of each bout.

This will be a ODAM community event, or so I am hoping.

gredavin on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, sure. I'm in.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited February 2007
    I'll start a Characters thread. Post your completed character sheets there.

gredavin on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    what's deadline for signups, and what is deadline for posted characters?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited February 2007
    Let's say Wednesday for signup, next Friday for posted characters.

If we can get going sooner, bonus.

gredavin on
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm in :D

Would it be poor form for me to use Buster from the Pimp my Character Thread? :-p

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
    edited February 2007
    If you can create him using only races/classes/feats/skills from 3.5 PHB ;)

gredavin on
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I could be down for this, but I have a lot of stuff coming up week after next with school and work. I'll still try and whip up a character and let you know whether or not I'll be able to get down.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2007
    Damn, I need to lrn2read. I was up to having a DC 18 save or lose before I saw that we're using PHB only.

And seriously, why not allow third level WBL? (2700 gp) If we're doing only PHB, with maybe some basic magic item stuff, it's not like it's going to get too out of whack.

EDIT: Also, what is the format for the duels? How much 'prep time?'

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    Because all the cool stuff will be rewarded for winning. I want all the players to start off with basic equipment, and then, as the bouts continue, the prizes are more and more awesome. Plus, you can loot your opponents body.

Duels work with one combatant at the end of each side of the ring. There is no pre fight prep, so no spells cast before you enter the ring.

Between each battle you are completely healed and rested.

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    You can use that profiler website if you choose, but I would like character portraits if possible.

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Is there a 3.5 PHB reference site that anyone knows of? I don't fancy having to buy the book, or talking to the one person I know that owns one.

The Everyman on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there a 3.5 PHB reference site that anyone knows of? I don't fancy having to buy the book, or talking to the one person I know that owns one.

http://www.d20srd.org/

Dex Dynamo on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This sounds cool, but...

I'm really not much good at finding tricks inside of the system.

So I'm not in. :P

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2007
    I'm not looking for a bunch of powergaming PC's, I think this could have alot of flavour with flashy characters and the like.

Make a character, give him/her some life and throw them into the arena. Who cares if they dont survive, you had alittle fun and who knows, maybe they'll live and you can play another round.

Seriously, I am not a stats GM whatsoever, and I would still enter this for the hell of it.

Come on guys, take 30 mins, build a character and give it a shot.

EDIT: In fact, if you come up with a glitsy showboating PC with good stats but better personality, there will be rewards for that as well.

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    gredavin wrote:
    I'm not looking for a bunch of powergaming PC's, I think this could have alot of flavour with flashy characters and the like.

Make a character, give him/her some life and throw them into the arena. Who cares if they dont survive, you had alittle fun and who knows, maybe they'll live and you can play another round.

Seriously, I am not a stats GM whatsoever, and I would still enter this for the hell of it.

Come on guys, take 30 mins, build a character and give it a shot.

EDIT: In fact, if you come up with a glitsy showboating PC with good stats but better personality, there will be rewards for that as well.
    Rewards don't count for much when you're killed by fifty Guard Dogs in round 1.

Anyway, HP = ? Rolled, Average, 75%?
    Gold for multiclass characters = 1st class or highest class or ... ?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2007
    Alright, I'm in. Hope you don't mind me stepping out behind the lurker curtain to take a stab at this.

I've got two ideas for a character. I'll put them around in my mind for a while and post a character sometime by Monday.

The Everyman on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm interested, I'll see if I can whip something together.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    I am basically expecting Truck to get smashed by some awesome rulez exploitz here. :o

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2007
    HP: Max 1st level as normal, 1/2 for second, max for 3rd. (alternating like so every level)
    GP: First class chosen is starting GP.

gredavin on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't post much in here, but this sounds really fun. This seems perfect to whet my d20 appetite.

I'm in!

Rear Admiral Choco on
    edited February 2007
    can someone post the max gold at 1st level for all the base classes? I don't have my PHB handy.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Barbarian: 160 gp
    Bard: 160 gp
    Cleric: 200 gp
    Druid: 80 gp
    Fighter: 240 gp
    Monk: 20 gp
    Paladin: 240 gp
    Ranger: 240 gp
    Rogue: 200 gp
    Sorceror: 120 gp
    Wizard: 120 gp

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • GeoGeo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If there's still room, I'll be in too.

Geo on
    edited February 2007
    Yup, the more the merrier.

Gents,

One thing that should be known is that this is a 1vs1 tournament. If your class allows you to have an animal companion, or your mage can summon assistance, that is fine, but no purchasing of animals. This also applies to characters looking to create mounted combatants.

If you have any questions regarding this, please let me know.

gredavin on
  • GeoGeo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Are psionics allowed?

Geo on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm in.

I'm gonna work on a Halfling Druid and will post it soon.

Shamus on
    edited February 2007
    No, as stated earlier, only 3.5PHB.

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Admiral Choco,

You have one more feat to pick but you have spent 34 points on stats, you need to lose two.

Shamus,

You also have 2 points to many for stats.

Keep in mind all stats start at 0 and racial modifiers apply AFTER you purchase the stat.

Everything else looks good so far. Keep em comin' folks!

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    This.... This isn't how point buy works.

Check page 169 of the DMG.

I don't want to flame, but perhaps you should let someone else DM/arbitrate this that has a better grip on the rules and the meta-game?

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    I know the rules just fine, it was a typo, 8 is where all stats start.

gredavin on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eh, what the hey, count me in as a Human Wizard 3. What wizard would be stupid enough to enter a gladiatorial tournament I don't know, but I'm going to give representing the Arcane classes my best shot.

Now I need to spend a feverish few hours figuring out how to deal 39 points of damage without being killed in one hit. Good times.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited February 2007
    Here's the points I had spent..I did apply the racial mods after buying the stats.

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?a=show&id=856586

Shamus on
    edited February 2007
    Shamus,

Sorry about that, did the math wrong in my head ;)

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Np :D

Shamus on
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Might as well give this a shot.

I've always wanted to roll a sorcerer, and this is the perfect opportunity.

One question, can we roll new characters after we lose? Assuming, that is, that there are still other level 3 characters to go up against. Or is the plan to play until there's one champion, and then start all over again?

Grid System on