As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single player games with persistance

RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm looking for games that have an element of persistence between sessions. Of course the prime examples of this type are MMOs but I am specifically looking for single player games of this kind.

The best example I can think of at the moment is Dynasty Warriors 5. After each battle your characters gain xp, items and weapons which can then be used in any future battle.

Anyone know any games that have this kind of feature besides Dynasty Warriors?

Edit: Not going to reply as I don't want to bump what is mostly threadshitting but for the benefit of those who haven't played Dynasty Warriors - This is not just "saving your game". There is a pool of characters to choose from. After every game the ones you used gain items / xp / etc... and those values are persistent. Like an MMO, there is no "game over" per se. Just en eventual maxing out of possible upgrades. Diablo II via battlenet is a close approximation. As is Soul Caliber 2 to some extent.

Feel free to lock the thread as I won't be checking back. I suppose it was too much to expect anything besides small-minded petty bitchiness in G&T.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
RiemannLives on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    After each battle your characters gain xp, items and weapons which can then be used in any future battle.

Hmm, games that feature the ability to use things you got earlier at a later date.

I can't think of any.

Oh wait, there was this one game ages ago, with this guy wearing red and brown who could jump pretty high...you could basically cheat at the game, because you could get the power to shoot fireballs and then beat the boss, and you'd start the next area still with the fireballs which was pretty OP.

Wait, no, that didn't really have persistence between sessions, unless you just like paused it for a long time.

Well I think there have been some games with a battery in them so you can keep the items you get earlier and use them later, like there was this one with a bow and arrow and a raft and bombs and such. It really felt like a persistent world, you'd go in the dungeon and get a cool item out of it, and you could go back later and the item would still be gone! It remembered the things you did while you were playing. Neat stuff.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    I think this concept is generally referred to as "saving your game".

Echo on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    After each battle your characters gain xp, items and weapons which can then be used in any future battle.

Hmm, games that feature the ability to use things you got earlier at a later date.

I can't think of any.

Oh wait, there was this one game ages ago, with this guy wearing red and brown who could jump pretty high...you could basically cheat at the game, because you could get the power to shoot fireballs and then beat the boss, and you'd start the next area still with the fireballs which was pretty OP.

Odd, in my copy of Super Mario Bros. when you ran out of lives you had to start over again as a short little motherfucker with no fireballs.

I suppose SM3 comes almost kind of close to what I was talking about.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm looking single player games

Sounds like someone is going to be alone for the holidays.

JK

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think you may have the wrong definition of persistence, but based on your requirements...

Pretty much any RPG game.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I can't think of any.

Odd, in my copy of Super Mario Bros. when you ran out of lives you had to start over again as a short little motherfucker with no fireballs.

I suppose SM3 comes almost kind of close to what I was talking about.

If you run out of lives and want to continue then at the game over screen press and hold A then press start at 1 player (or 2 player) and you will start at the beginning of the world at which you died.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    I'm looking single player games

Sounds like someone is going to be alone for the holidays.

JK

Why did you remove the word "for" from his post? Are you trying to make him look like a poor typist?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Echo wrote: »

shocked-1.jpg

Could've told me this BEFORE I loaded up FFVII

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FFT.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Yeah, you'd be hard-pressed to find a game made within the last, oh let's say ten years, that didn't save your progress in some fashion. I'll give the OP the benifeit of the doubt and assume he's looking for something more, but I can't honestly say what.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have no idea if the post is serious or not, but there are quite a few games that are basically like MMOs except focused on single player.

Diablo and Diablo 2. The hack and slash Baldur's Gate games that came out for the previous gen consoles. Phantasy Star Online, again for the previous gen consoles (you can play single player, or even play split screen, at least on the GC one). Maybe Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Shiren for the DS, or Baroque for the Wii / PS2.

Basically, any dungeon crawler or roguelike will have a large portion of its gameplay centered on killing shit and collecting phat loot. I know that's not specifically what you asked for, but for some reason I have a feeling maybe this was more what you were driving at.

Could be wrong, though.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    great thread or greatest thread

and/or thread sent into the future from 1991

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Animal Crossing. The guilt that comes from an unweeded town will persist with you for months.

Tig on
  • Options
    persona non gratapersona non grata Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One potentially interesting answer to this rather... open question is a game called In Memoriam (called Missing: Since January in the US according to Wiki). It's kind of a detective game that uses the real internet and sends emails to your real inbox, so you're kind of always playing the game.

I haven't played it in a long time though so they could very well have shut the servers down or something. Worth a look though, especially if you like Uplink and other games like that.

persona non grata on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm looking for games that have an element of persistence between sessions. Of course the prime examples of this type are MMOs but I am specifically looking for single player games of this kind.

The best example I can think of at the moment is Dynasty Warriors 5. After each battle your characters gain xp, items and weapons which can then be used in any future battle.

Edit: Not going to reply as I don't want to bump what is mostly threadshitting but for the benefit of those who haven't played Dynasty Warriors - This is not just "saving your game". There is a pool of characters to choose from. After every game the ones you used gain items / xp / etc... and those values are persistent. Like an MMO, there is no "game over" per se. Just en eventual maxing out of possible upgrades. Diablo II via battlenet is a close approximation. As is Soul Caliber 2 to some extent.

Feel free to lock the thread as I won't be checking back. I suppose it was too much to expect anything besides small-minded petty bitchiness in G&T.

Actually, a better description than "persistent single player game" would've yielded you better results. Basically, it sounds like maybe you're looking for a game in the same vein as Gauntlet. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but figure that'll hopefully get the ball rolling for you, if you ever do come back and check on the thread.

I just love it when someone blames everyone else around them for their own shortcomings. Really gets me in the holiday spirit.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Now it sounds like he wants games with New Game+.

I say buy Chrono Trigger DS.

Or Tales of Symphonia.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At first I thought he meant games with a world that keeps going after you log off - like animal crossing.

Uh - castle crashers?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is absolutely nothing like Gauntlet what are you talking about

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    At first I thought he meant games with a world that keeps going after you log off - like animal crossing.

Uh - castle crashers?

That would be the definition of a persistent game. However, apparently in his world, Dynasty Warrior's classifies as a persistent game. I mean, you must persist through the battles before you can safely save and turn it off, thus freezing the no longer persisting world until you turn it back on again.

Dourin on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    NetHack saves out "bones files" that you can revisit in later games, literally pilfering items from your previous character's dead bodies and being haunted by their ghosts.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    skyknyt wrote: »
    NetHack saves out "bones files" that you can revisit in later games, literally pilfering items from your previous character's dead bodies and being haunted by their ghosts.

That makes the idea of a survival horror twist being added to Oregon Trail spring to mind. Where the ghosts of fallen travelers attack you in fits of jealousy and rage.

Dourin on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Devil May Cry 4 has you constantly gaining experience and buying new abilities over the course of your playthroughs until you reach the highest difficulty levels. You also need to find all the blue crystals (some of them are won through challenges) to upgrade your health bar to its max.

I've never played a DMC game before, rarely play games like it in general. But I dumped plenty of time just going through each difficulty level until I reached the top. And it was still fun.

After that, maybe Mass Effect if you're more into RPG's. Once you've completed a game with your character you can load up on the next difficulty level and continue gaining experience and abilities, and you can unlock and add in additional abilities from other trees that wouldn't have been available to you before.

subedii on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dead Rising had that sort of persistence. If you died, you could start the game over at the beginning of the story, but all your accumulated experience will still be with you.

Dwarf Fortress has it of a sort as well. Build a fortress, abandon it, and you can play an adventurer character who can go exploring the ruins. Can build as many forts as you like, though only one can be "alive" at a time.

xzzy on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Dourin wrote: »

That makes the idea of a survival horror twist being added to Oregon Trail spring to mind. Where the ghosts of fallen travelers attack you in fits of jealousy and rage.

This would be amazing as a hidden feature. Release an "update" of Oregon Trail that plays absolutely normally the first few times.

And then on maybe the 3-5th playthrough, suddenly the caravan gets jumped by "Zombie SUSIE" and has to gun her down in the little hunting game. Soon they are traveling through a charnel house that was the American northwest pre-Zombie invasion.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    TasteicleTasteicle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Probably looking for MMO like single players? I'd recommend Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Neverwinter Nights, and The Witcher.

Tasteicle on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you're into strategy games, LOTR Battle for Middle Earth 1&2 might be up your alley. Your heroes gain XP, abilities e.t.c. Your army follows you from one map to the next over two parallel "stories" within the main campaign (Gondor and Rohan) culminating in the final battle at mount Doom, where one of your armies has to hold out until your other arrives as reinforcements just as the shit hits the fan.

Oh but you're not reading the thread anymore because you had your little shitfit because we can't read your mind and your initial post sounded awfully like just saving your game to me. Maybe if you'd been clearer in the first place (or perhaps waited more than an hour to get some helpul replies) this whole temper tantrum could have been avoided. Oh wait, you're not reading this. Right.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dourin wrote: »

Haha. There would be thousands of ghosts clogging the trail on all of those old school computers with the game installed.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    If you're into strategy games, LOTR Battle for Middle Earth 1&2 might be up your alley. Your heroes gain XP, abilities e.t.c. Your army follows you from one map to the next over two parallel "stories" within the main campaign (Gondor and Rohan) culminating in the final battle at mount Doom, where one of your armies has to hold out until your other arrives as reinforcements just as the shit hits the fan.

Or Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, where you gain special units and, I think, requisition points on the overworld map, and your bases remain whenever you fight in a certain region again.

Same with Soulstorm, but that's a worse game.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Myth games have persistent characters. If you keep the guys alive you can track their kills and such across missions.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Dead Rising I guess? It sounds like you want games with New Game+ . That's the closest thing I can think of.

And yeah, don't get mad at other people just because you don't know what words you need to use. The thing you described has nothing to do with persistence. At least, not in any commonly accepted way.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    The Myth games have persistent characters. If you keep the guys alive you can track their kills and such across missions.

Don't forget that if you keep them alive throughout the whole game, by the final battles, they're pretty close to godly on the battlefields. They basically level up as they survive missions and become faster, tougher, and dish out more damage.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Homeworld 1 and 2.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Nimble Cat wrote: »

Don't forget that if you keep them alive throughout the whole game, by the final battles, they're pretty close to godly on the battlefields. They basically level up as they survive missions and become faster, tougher, and dish out more damage.

There are some levels where you will lose them just because that unit type isn't in the following level though.
    But yeah, veterans are awesome, it's a tragedy when you lose someone with 20+ kills.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I nearly cried when I lost one of my Berserks who was pushing 50 kills. Damned Balor.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Uber AbgestopptUber Abgestoppt BEERGICIAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HALF LIFE 2, YO!

Uber Abgestoppt on
    demoman.png
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sacred 2 is another game you should look at. It had bugs when it was first released but has been patched up pretty well. The world is absolutely massive, and plays almost like a diablo styled MMO.

Namon on