As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GBA games for girls / good single cart multi?

cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
My female friend recently got a Gameboy Micro, and at the moment the only game she has is Pokemon. I too have a GBM, and I was wondering what good GBA games there are which are suited to girls (not meaning to be sexist, but she really isn't into shooters or violent stuff). She likes racers, she has a PS1 with stuff like Crash Racing, Driver, Gran Turismo, and a PSP on which her fave game is Cars ( :roll: ). So I was planning on getting Mario Kart Super Circuit, and that has single cart multiplayer which is definitely good.

It's not as easy for me to think of good games for everyone for GBA than it is with DS, since on the DS there's Nintendogs, Brain Age, Cooking Mama, etc.

So thanks for your help.

cherv1 on

• One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Advance Wars has single-cart multi, but that might be on the fringes of what she can dig.

I wholeheartedly recommend WarioWare, Inc. Everyone should love that game.

One Thousand Cables on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    cherv1 wrote:
    My female friend recently got a Gameboy Micro, and at the moment the only game she has is Pokemon. I too have a GBM, and I was wondering what good GBA games there are which are suited to girls (not meaning to be sexist, but she really isn't into shooters or violent stuff). She likes racers, she has a PS1 with stuff like Crash Racing, Driver, Gran Turismo, and a PSP on which her fave game is Cars ( :roll: ). So I was planning on getting Mario Kart Super Circuit, and that has single cart multiplayer which is definitely good.

It's not as easy for me to think of good games for everyone for GBA than it is with DS, since on the DS there's Nintendogs, Brain Age, Cooking Mama, etc.

So thanks for your help.

In its defense, the PSP's version of Cars is a decent arcade racer.

That being said, there's not any multicart, but everybody loves Mario games. In particular, there's SMB3 and Yoshi's Island available on the GBA.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Advance Wars has single-cart multi, but that might be on the fringes of what she can dig.

I wholeheartedly recommend WarioWare, Inc. Everyone should love that game.

Well I'll see if I can pick up Mega MicroGame$, and I've been meaning to import Twisted (I live in England), so I can share that with her / give it to her when I'm done.

Yeah, Advance Wars probably isn't appropriate.

cherv1 on
    edited February 2007
    jclast wrote:
    cherv1 wrote:

So thanks for your help.

In its defense, the PSP's version of Cars is a decent arcade racer.

That being said, there's not any multicart, but everybody loves Mario games. In particular, there's SMB3 and Yoshi's Island available on the GBA.

Yes I have heard that it is quite good, I will play it at some point.

I will see about getting Yoshi's Island since I got that off eBay a while back. I only played the first few levels since it was pirated and I had to send it back. I myself have SMB3, but I think she might find it too difficult... I've only had it a few days and I find it quite tricky. How are Super Mario World and SMB2 on GBA? I've been thinking about getting World for myself for a while, but haven't really considered gettig 2, just because it is so different from all the rest.

Also, how is the Multiplayer on the Mario games? They all have Mario Bros, but I've never tried it.

cherv1 on
  • Non-Existent FreezerNon-Existent Freezer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    These threads make me cry on the inside.

Girls can appreciate quality games just as well as guys can. Just get her something that doesn't suck.

Non-Existent Freezer on
    g2kc7.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Chu Chu Rocket & Bomberman Tournament.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Going with the stereotype that girls like JRPG's, she'd probably enjoy the Golden Sun series. While it doesn't have single cart multiplayer, it does have multi cart multiplayer if you so desire. The games are pretty cheap now (probably aorund $20 each), so it probably wouldn't kill you to pick up a copy either.

ikillkenny on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yes, definitely get Super Mario Kart Super Circuit. It has great singlepak multiplayer value, but buy two copies and it turns into the greatest multiplayer experience ever on a portable. Playing grand prixes against a friend and 6 AI opponents is so much fun. Time will literally fly.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Girls can appreciate quality games just as well as guys can. Just get her something that doesn't suck.
    that's because you're a girl.

i jest, and agree with the sentiment, girls can enjoy a good game, without it being about ponies or dressing-up. Or dressing-up ponies.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    darleysam wrote:

that's because you're a girl.

i jest, and agree with the sentiment, girls can enjoy a good game, without it being about ponies or dressing-up. Or dressing-up ponies.
    LOL.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If there was a game about dressing up ponies that was actually fantastic, I'd buy and play it.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    If there was a game about dressing up ponies that was actually fantastic, I'd buy and play it.
    What about dressing up actual my little ponies as the Justice League?

ViolentChemistry on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would buy that as long as it is decent.

Couscous on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i vote for 'Pimp My Mule'.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    I was talking about someone's sig, but I forgot they mostly only post in D&D.

ViolentChemistry on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    I know who you are talking about. I like the Booster Gold pony the best.

Couscous on
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    I know who you are talking about. I like the Green Lantern pony the best.
    :P

ViolentChemistry on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Girlfriends like any game where they have the opportunity to kick your ass. Don't be fooled, they like competition and violence as much as the next dude (or maybe that is just lesbians, anyway). More racing games the better. If anything, hook her up with FFVI and challenge her to win with all women.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited February 2007
    Girlfriends like any game where they have the opportunity to kick your ass. Don't be fooled, they like competition and violence as much as the next dude (or maybe that is just lesbians, anyway). More racing games the better. If anything, hook her up with FFVI and challenge her to win with all women.

What racers would you suggest? The only one I considered was Mario Kart. How are the two GBA F-Zero games? I used to have Mario Kart but I sold it which saddens me now. But basically, I never got any GBA racers because now that I've been ''spoiled'' by 3D it's a bit hard to go back to Mode 7.

So currently on the list:

Pokemon (already got this)
    Mario Kart Super Circuit
    Wario Ware
    Yoshi's Island
    Maybe Bomberman
    Maybe Chu Chu Rocket (Don't know much about either of these games)
    Maybe a JRPG

Any more suggestions are welcome

cherv1 on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Don't the Japanese versions of Peonix Wright on the GBA have an english option? If so, get that, everyone I'v ever got to play it enjoyed it, even my own mother went through case one and loved it.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited February 2007
    Don't the Japanese versions of Peonix Wright on the GBA have an english option? If so, get that, everyone I'v ever got to play it enjoyed it, even my own mother went through case one and loved it.

I'm not sure about that... I know the DS version has English as a selectable language, but I have no idea about the GBA versions. Could someone check that out please?

cherv1 on