As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shiboe's random bits of tastiness

2»

• Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok so I'm painting this for my Granny for Christmas, and spent all day, nearly knocked the thing out, and really hoping to get some last minute advice/crits before I finish it up for the big day. Any help would be appreciated, some things are still missing but I'm nearly done. And much respect to those of you who paint these kinds of things daily, my back is sore! And I know I should have used perspective lines but a) I don't really know all that much about them and b) lazy/time.

poopsiexf8.jpg

Shiboe on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd say it's looking swell. Perspective looks good, and the colors are nice and vibrant.

The hand pic doesn't come off emo at all, just stylish.

Also I never commented on the warrior image. The first thing I noticed was the kinda funny mouth, as others have pointed out, it's just a bit to far to the side. But I wanted to comment on how nice the inks are coming along, it's all so slick I didn't notice the twisted abdomen as pointed out above.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really like how the little garden turned out

Projeck on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So are you not going to be painting that other house? cause right now it looks like your Granny's house is either on the edge of a cliff, on a super high hill, or oceanfront.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    reminds me of a hockney or some other such jazz

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    RubberAC wrote: »
    So are you not going to be painting that other house? cause right now it looks like your Granny's house is either on the edge of a cliff, on a super high hill, or oceanfront.

Not planning on it. I don't really want to pull focus or clutter it up with unnecessaries. I mean, I'm doing it so she can look and see (somewhat) her backyard, not the neighbors. I'll think about it though I guess. And wow am I up too early! colllldlddddd...

Guess that's it for help I'm getting, never wait till the last minute is the lesson for today! Hope everyone has a merry Christmas!

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    All done, bout as good a pic as I'm gonna get I think with my horrible camera. Hope everyone has happy holidays, I'm bummed that I didn't get to do my T-rex losing arm wrestling match to santa, but this took priority. ;D

grampaintfk2.jpg

Shiboe on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The stone patio looks so real I could touch it.

That Santa vs. Dino idea would have been Over the Top!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The stone patio looks so real I could touch it.

That Santa vs. Dino idea would have been Over the Top!

Thanks! Ya if there's one thing I actually pride myself on, it's the ability to come up with outrageous ideas. If I can just reach a point where I can bring them to live via whatever medium, I will be pleased as pie. ;D

edit: and I plan to make a new avatar today. This old one just isn't cutting my jib.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    These were supposed to be a present for someone but I think I'm keeping em.

n574328664_1802004_7580.jpg

Fear their power!

Shiboe on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    those are

amazing

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Doing like 4 things at once right now, but this one needs to get done first:
    poop058lc6.jpg

Will be painting it digitally I think, hopefully with non-disastrous results!

Shiboe on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Sweet dragon!

bombardier on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been watching you a bit from afar, Shiboe, and I'd be lying if I said I weren't a little biased (you were SUCH AN UNNECESSARY DOUCHE to me in WoW on Frostwolf!) but I can definitely see much improvement! Kudos!

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    LOL holy crap, you played on Frostwolf too? It's really weird I've been finding a few people from FW here and there, guess it is a small(ish) world! I'm sorry if I was a bastard though, I'm actually a really nice guy, it just made for a more interesting forum to put on a asshole persona sometimes, and frankly, some people needed berating. ;D (not saying you did though, whoever you is)

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok so like 2-3 hours in and all I have is some shitty water:
    leviathancopyyr3.jpg

I'm kinda frustrated at myself, I feel like I have a horrible method of painting, and I want to change it right now. Like, I can see I'm getting way too cought up in random details that are hurting the image more than helping. If any of you awesome painters out there catch this, I would LOVE some insight or tips. I think I'm gonna hide this stuff for a bit and just experiment with new methods. There's got to be a way to lay down color and form fast and simplistic while giving the impression I'm going for, I know some of you guys do it rather well, I just need to get there I guess. But I hate feeling like I'm painting a football field with a toothpick, and it just ends up looking like a jumble of randomness.

edit: I don't know if this is any better, but it's going a lot faster! I think I have too much brightness and contrast though, time for take 3 I guess.
    leviathancopy2fs5.jpg

More experimenting, I think it was probably bad for me to have always avoided photoshop, I think I can probably learn alot about color from just playing in it, and that's what I need so...
    leviathancopy4az5.jpg

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't know whether I like it or hate it at this point, but I've worked on this a disturbingly long time (very much frustration restarts) and am happy to at least be going forward with a method I'm not completely embarrassed with. Anyways, still very much WIP, so very much, but I'm trying. =/

The good news is, I realize how vitally important it is for me to get serious and do some real studies and life drawings, because the lack in that area is really starting to impact my progress. Can't guess at color and form forever.

leviathanpooppo6.jpg

I'm also thinking of doing a much less turbulent sea. I don't have the skill or patience to pull off what I originally intended. LOL I also jsut realized I need to slim down the head, because right now he looks very much like an alligator.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It looks like you're working on seperate bits and bringing them up to full detail, seperately. That's okay if you're doing studies of particular bits, but it usually helps me to bring everything up to scratch at the same time.

I think it takes a long time for things to start clicking. I get to a point of sheer frustration with almost all of my paintings, where things just aren't looking right, or good enough, for the amount of time I feel I've invested. Pushing beyond that point is the key, rather than select-all > delete. The first two-thirds of a painting are the least rewarding. But they're important because they lay the foundations for the pop that comes from the fancy detail in the last third.

It's only occurred to me in the run up to my exhibition when I was churning through painting after painting on a deadline that it really does take a long time before a painting feels like it's working, and I've come to accept that feeling of frustration is just impatience that I can't work faster.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The name Shiboe sounds really familiar now that I think about it, I to have a 70 gnome mage on frostwolf named loomdun

Edit: 70 because I cancelled it a really long time ago to do other things.

Edit again: I think I remember raping a orc hunter named shiboe though in arena

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks DR, I respect what you do so I like hearing from ya. Unfortunately I probably am going to dump this one. I just don't have a method I'm satisfied with yet, one that I can do everything generally at first, then zone in on the specifics. I think i need bigger brushes, better strokes, better colors, and I have a huge feeling it's my lack of studies that's the culprit (I don't know what colors really go well together, I've read a lot of resources but I don't think it will sink in until I've painted a few lifes, and repainted a few of other artists works). I've also had no training like, ever, so I'm just kinda stumbling around until I hit something I like. I'm working far too slow and micro, and I need to fix that.

Loomdun, I've already had a few people recognize me from Frostwolf, so ya that's why. And more than likely I mowed you down because I was legendary. ;D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I haven't had any training either. You just gotta push through the 'aw man this looks shit' phase. I swear, it will turn into the 'actually this has potential' phase, to the 'man this is my best work yet' phase. I plan to teach this methodology at a school for budding artists and illustrators where I will charge thousands of dollars per semester.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I haven't had any training either. You just gotta push through the 'aw man this looks shit' phase. I swear, it will turn into the 'actually this has potential' phase, to the 'man this is my best work yet' phase. I plan to teach this methodology at a school for budding artists and illustrators where I will charge thousands of dollars per semester.

You guys deal in dollars down there? I thought kangaroos were the currency!

Ok now that I've been unnecessarily offensive, here's an unnecessary update:

First a ping pong paddle I painted on for added ferocity in times of need.
    pingpongko6.jpg

And doodles of characters I'm developing (poorly!).
    doodlecharsjf8.jpg

And a new try on the dragon thingy I was painting.
    releviaf0.jpg

Try try again, hopefully with less fail. Things have been pretty slow lately due to distractions though, hopefully this week will be good times.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So there's this girl that's been distracting me...

beccawq0.jpg

I've been sick all this week. Take this as my re-entry into arting again, hadn't touched a pencil for a week and it prolly shows. Also, I think I made her crosseye'ed, doesn't look like it in person but definitely does to me now digitally. But ya, charcoal pencils that I think I'll prolly start using more of in studies. Didn't really have any good pictures (lightsource wise) so fairly standard flash type ref, took about 2.5 hours, and it was a complete pleasure the whole time. ;D

Shiboe on