As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Tournament (OOC Chatter)

• gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Once you're eliminated, you're out. We can run a new tournament if people enjoy this one, perhaps with a spin on the champion taking new comers.

gredavin on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can I request some additional information about the arena? How high are those pillars? How far away do contestants start? Is there a roof? Do the interior gates start opened or closed? Etc.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited February 2007
    These are variables that change with each and every map, to keep things interesting. You may never escape from the arena once it starts, and the outer walls will never be scalable.

The pillars at time will be climbable, and in other matches will not be. Each of these things will be stated at the beginning of each match, meaning you will have to adapt quickly to your environment.

gredavin on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fair enough. So much for Bat-Wizard having "time to prepare." If you start out the first round with contestants within melee range of each other though, I'm going to be very irritated.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited February 2007
    Nope, each bout starts with the combatants on either end of the arena.

I'm going to try to make it so that every class has a real shot at this. There are other things which I will be posting after the characters are made that might surprise a few people who simply...bulk out.

Keep that in mind ;)

gredavin on
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can wizards have, say, 5-10 extra XP to scribe their own scrolls?

Legoman05 on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Legoman05 wrote:
    Can wizards have, say, 5-10 extra XP to scribe their own scrolls?
    Only if I can craft my own epix.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2007
    Not for the first bout, no.

Bonus XP will be awarded for flashy, storyrific posting in the battles, however.

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Also, please leave all posting other than characters in the character thread. All OOC banter here.

I am going to have character cut off end tomorrow, seeing as this filled up really fast.

So, first match, Sunday afternoon, look for the initial post with all the juicy information!

I should point out that earlier someone asked what the prep time would be, and I think I mistook his question.

In between each bout, you will have time to purchase new gear, learn new spells, purchase magical items, scribe scrolls etc. So, when you come to the next fight, you will have brought everything with you and you are at maximum potential.

Sorry for the confusion.

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Also,

Each character needs a picture or a physical description if a picture can't be found.

In regards to my post above, I meant that the roster for the game is full, if you can get your PC up by tomorrow thats awesome. We'll have our first match up tomorrow involving two PC's already generated. (which will be randomly decided)

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Can I buy earplugs? :O

INeedNoSalt on
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Earplugs?

Twenty useless points to the first person to tell me where Lastethar's portrait is from.

Grid System on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can I ask a Lore question?

What are these gates and where do they lead and why do people fight in them? I really like that map.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited February 2007
    trentsteel wrote:
    Can I ask a Lore question?

What are these gates and where do they lead and why do people fight in them? I really like that map.
    The picture in the middle of the place looks like Pelor's holy symbol, so it's probably of something religious significance to the clerics of Pelor. >>

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2007
    I'll post up the significance of the arena on the first battle.

Ok, the roster is FULL, we have 16 players and it'll take too long with more players.

ANy others interested can join the next game. THanks

gredavin on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey, I'm not going to be able to join in, so someone can take my place as one of those 16 if they'd like.

The Everyman on
    edited February 2007
    First match is up.

Now, as you can see, both contestants can see each others stat blocks and therefor should be able to run the match almost entirely on their own, as long as they know the ruleset.

So, we can run it one of two ways.

1) The players, coming to an agreement that they will both play fair and can adjudicate the rules between themselves, will post their actions in a cinematic way and then post their OOC actions at the bottom. They will then roll on Invisible Castle, link the result in OOC and the opposing can post according to the results.

Ex:
    Bob's post:

Bob runs across the field and fires an arrow at Lucy.

{OOC: RAnged attack, rolled 19. *He checks her AC, sees its 12* Rolled 5 damage against her.}

Lucy's post:

Lucy grunted in pain as an arrow pierced her thigh. She turned and fired off a lightning bolt spell.

{OOC: Concentration check 17, success. I rolled Bob's save, he got 12, but needed 16, he failed. 24 damage.}

Bob's counter post:

Bob shook violently as electricity tore through his body.

Make Sense?

2) Players post as above, roll as normal adding it in their OOC comments on the bottom and I summarize the round in a GM post, describing damage, movement etc.

I think option 1 would be much better for descriptive purposes, and the game will move much faster. I will post in the games with option 1 still, especially when there is special circumstances in the game.

Keep in mind, option 1 requires people to agree on rule calls and all the variable numbers that will come into play (cover, concealment, etc)

Also, some across the board rules:

1) Both players write an intro post, simply describing their characters thoughts before they engage. This is where you roll your initiative. The higher initiative gets to post the first battle description.

2) At the same time, roll a Charisma check. This is to determine your initial impact on the crowd. This is important for after the battle, as it can lead to certain benefits.

Let's get this tournament going!

gredavin on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey, gredavin, would you please update the intro with my character info?

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Done

gredavin on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have to express some disappointment that the OP didn't end with "Roll for initiative!".

:P

Otherwise I'm watching with interest.

(Posting here instead of the actual battle thread so I don't mess anything up.)

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Presumably there isn't going to be another match tomorrow, but if there is, can I not be in it? It looks like I'm going to be out of the house and away from an internet connection for a 13+ hour stretch.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd be happy to work within the first "style" presented.

Grid System on
  • JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Interesting start to the match. I don't really get invisible castle though. Can't I just roll as many times as I want until I get a good one to post? I guess we're going on the honour system here then, eh?

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • DraugDraug Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You provide your character's name to the dice rolls. GM can then look 'em up.

Draug on
    edited February 2007
    You must put in your character name for the roll to be valid. This way, I can track the history of rolls under taht name, so if I see its been rolled multiple times, I can call the posted roll invalid.

If you check legoman's roll, you can see that he only rolled once by clicking on the character name link.

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    I dunno if I'd really like havin' someone else rollin' my own saves, although I guess I can see how it might make things easier.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2007
    There's an easy fix for that:

Post an OOC bar at the beginning of your post with your dice roll for saving throws, and make the rest of your post flow according to the roll.

Is that better?

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    gredavin wrote:
    There's an easy fix for that:

Post an OOC bar at the beginning of your post with your dice roll for saving throws, and make the rest of your post flow according to the roll.

Is that better?
    I dunno. In Lego's case, his first action was a spell, and his second action is dependant on whether or not the saves were made. However, my stance is that the saves weren't his to roll; that would be kind of akin to Truck rolling enemy's attacks against him, in my opinion.

I think, ideally, if your second action is reliant on someone else rolling, you'd break down your section in an if/then kind of thing, like, "If the animals pass their saves, I'll get eaten. If the animals fail, I'll move to hide behind this pillar."

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2007
    Fair enough, I'm fine with not rolling saves anymore. It's only two more posts that need to be made, so no biggie.

Legoman05 on
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Was there a mistake with summon nature's ally? I'm assuming that what Karog used to summon the snake. It has a casting time of 1 round not 1 standard action.
    The SRD wrote:
    A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Was there a mistake with summon nature's ally? I'm assuming that what Karog used to summon the snake. It has a casting time of 1 round not 1 standard action.
    The SRD wrote:
    A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.

The same goes for the Sleep spell. Clearly they're offsetting penalties.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited February 2007
    You are correct. However, the action has been made and we'll know this if he casts it again, and it will be in effect next time.

Please, when casting spells, check casting time and the like. I missed that rule slip, so that's my fault.

Will be more attentive on each post.

gredavin on
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just wanted to be sure since I'm playing a summoner :P

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd rather have the second method for my matches, fyi. I'd rather it be adjudicated and done right the first time, than having to pick on the other player on how they did things. Flavour and posts can still flow with the GM posting and I don't think the GM will slow it down anymore than the combatants only will.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited February 2007
    Infidel,

I think, after seeing results of misread spell casting time, that perhaps a fully refereed game is the better choice.

So, how the game rolls is like so:

Player 1 posts action description, and OOC notes detailing their action, including any necessary rolls. If it is an attack/damaging spell etc, please roll the damage as though it was a success.

GM posts results, rolling saving throws for the targetted player (if necessary)

Player 2 posts counter-action, and OOC notes detailing their action.

GM posts results.

This will slow down play, but ensure a fair battle with both sides. Does everyone agree?

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Rankenphile, Devryguy, Mad Jazz,

You guys still want in? You still have time before PC's have to be in, but I wanted to set up matches in a graph so I can organize it on this end.

gredavin on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    gredavin wrote:
    This will slow down play, but ensure a fair battle with both sides. Does everyone agree?

I think having to go back and correct things after the fact will slow it down in the end more.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • DraugDraug Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sounds good to me.

And sorry for the spell poop.

Draug on
    edited February 2007
    Draug wrote:
    Sounds good to me.

And sorry for the spell poop.

Fair play mate, fair play.

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    Since he's casting Summon Nature's Ally again, that means he's not moving, neh?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2007
    Apparently, which means that what I wrote happens as planned.

Legoman05 on