As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Must Own Gamecube Games

Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
I never owned a gamecube, but I now have a Wii and have almost finished Twilight Princess (probably this weekend). Once I finish TP it will be a while before any Wii games come out that will interest me (SSBM and MG). So, I figured that while I wait I can play through some of the many awesome games I never got to experience on the gamecube. So far I'm looking to play through the following:

Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime 1

I never followed the GC that closely, but I know that the above two are considered to be some of the best the system has to offer. What other games out there do you guys consider to be must own/AAA titles?

Mace1370 on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pikmin 1 and 2.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    NicholololasNicholololas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm in the exact same position, and so far I've bought two titles: Super Smash Bros. Melee and MGS: Twin Snakes. I figured Brawl was so far away that I'd go for Melee in the meantime, and Twin Snakes mostly because I never got to play it and Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite games ever.

I've also heard good things about Eternal Darkness if you're into that kinda stuff, as well as Super Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX and Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. They're the next batch of titles I'm planning on buying, anyway. Now, if only my GC controllers would arrive soon..

Nicholololas on
    Workin' on leavin' the livin'.
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    We have had like five of these at least.

Anyway:

Games for when friends around:

Mario Kart DD
    Mario Party
    Donkey Konga

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is pretty darn good.
    Wind Waker
    Super Mario Sunshine is fairly good
    Pikmin 1/2 if you're into that sort of thing
    F-Zero GX
    Viewtiful Joe

I just bought Eternal Darkness, I've heard good things about that.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eternal Darkness, Mario Strikers, and Mario Tennis (if you can find it; can someone tell me if this title is rare or what?) were all phenomenal.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Metroid Prime
    Zelda: Windwaker
    (I hear the OoT and MasterQuest disc was an awesome play too! [see sig] :wink: )
    Eternal Darkness
    Mario Kart

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    NicholololasNicholololas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    JohnHam wrote:
    Mario Strikers,

Wasn't Mario Strikers supposed to be re-released for Wii, in the same vein as Battalion Wars? I vaguely remember it being showcased on the Wii some time ago...

Nicholololas on
    Workin' on leavin' the livin'.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm currently restarting Paper Mario 2 and it's a blast. It has some backtracking issues, but it's so full of charm and wit it'd be a shame not to play it once in your lifetime.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Tales of Symphonia
    Viewtiful Joe
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    F-Zero GX
    Metroid Prime
    Wind Waker
    Mario Strikers
    Mario Kart: Double Dash
    Eternal Darkness
    Resident Evil
    Resident Evil 4
    Ikaruga
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Skies of Arcadia
    Sonic Mega Collection
    Soul Calibur 2
    Paper Mario 2

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rebel Strike. If only for fully co-op Rogue Leader

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    JohnHam wrote:
    Mario Strikers,

Wasn't Mario Strikers supposed to be re-released for Wii, in the same vein as Battalion Wars? I vaguely remember it being showcased on the Wii some time ago...

If you mean re-released as in "Wii-make", then no, they aren't. Both of them are getting Wii sequels, however.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    P.N.03 is perhaps an acquired taste, but is worthy of at least a glance. The REmake of Resident Evil is a must if that's how you swing. I'll join the murderous crowd in their cheers of Animal Crossing and Ikaruga. Doshin the Giant is perhaps the best yellow banana-simulation ever. And by that I mean since the first yellow little fruit left his hiding in his mothers womb and crawled out into the frightening daylight.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gigglio wrote:
    JohnHam wrote:
    Mario Strikers,

If you mean re-released as in "Wii-make", then no, they aren't. Both of them are getting Wii sequels, however.
    I haven't played it, but isn't Mario Stirkers a soccer game though? I'm not sure how much more of a "sequel" you can get other than waggle and better graphics. That has "wait for the Wii version" all over it.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Gigglio wrote:
    JohnHam wrote:
    Mario Strikers,

I haven't played it, but isn't Mario Stirkers a soccer game though? I'm not sure how much more of a "sequel" you can get other than waggle and better graphics. That has "wait for the Wii version" all over it.

Oh, I'm sure the Wii game will be pretty much better all around. I was just clarifying that it wasn't really a remake or re-release. I think there are new characters and some new arenas, so I guess that's what constitutes a sequel.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gotcha Force

I picked it up for a tenner over a year ago and just got round to playing it as part of the new year backlog clear-out, and, well, it's brilliant.

It looks very kiddy and to some extent the story is, but the gameplay is pure gold. The game is basically Pokemon with robots played out in fights ala Power stone meets Smash bros.

There's something like 200 different "borgs" to collect and each one has it's own moves and combat style, and each can gain levels with experience. You can then "buy" borgs from your collection to put in your team according to a preset number of points you have to spend.

Long story short. It's not a terribly well known title and it's easy to pass it over because of it's simplistic appearance but it's pure gold in terms of gaming entertainment.

Track Nine on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    We have so many of these...

Okay, a preliminary list:

P.N.03
    Metroid Prime
    Resident Evil 4
    Wind Waker
    Soul Calibur II
    Metroid Prime 2
    Viewtiful Joe
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Ocarina of Time: Master Quest
    Resident Evil (REmake)
    Eternal Darkness
    Smash Bros. Melee
    P.N.03
    Rogue Squadron II
    Rogue Squadron III
    Pikmin 2
    F-Zero GX
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door
    Mario Kart Double Dash
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Tales of Symphonia
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Ikaruga
    Resident Evil 0
    Baten Kaitos
    Baten Katios Origins
    Killer7
    P.N.03
    Odama
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Taramoor on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Twice per week we get a thread like this for Gamecube, PS2, and DS/GBA. Slightly less often for Xbox, PC, and Dreamcast. Aren't there "PA suggests" Wikis that are supposed to prevent this?

bruin on
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote:
    Twice per week we get a thread like this for Gamecube, PS2, and DS/GBA. Slightly less often for Xbox, PC, and Dreamcast. Aren't there "PA suggests" Wikis that are supposed to prevent this?
    Or the Accumulated Forum Knowledge page...

PA suggest fell wayside as most of the contributors left PA Forums. Forum Knowledge hasn't been updated since 2004.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote:
    they somewhat died with the mega threads.

i'm not bitching, but thats kinda what happened.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote:

Those wikis get suggestions once when they are first posted and then nobody touches them again ever. So the wikis end up out of date, people go to them and say, "Look, I know New Super Mario Bros is a great DS game, but everybody fucking knows that", and make a forum thread.

I don't see the problem with it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Skies of Arcadia Legends.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I got one for you that NO ONE ever picks.

The Simpsons: Hit and Run

It's fun. Reason it's not picked? It's multi-platform, so everyone already assumes you've played it somewhere else.

I really enjoyed it, but it does get a bit much after a while. And it's tough. The Simpsons stuff is fun though.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alien Hominid. Or as my Philistine brother calls it, Alien Homo-Nad.

If you like fun, this game is for you.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I keep hearing about Gotcha Force, but I mostly play games singleplayer.

Same goes for Custom Robo.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

As do I, and thus far I've only played Gotcha Force single player.

The single player suits me more than most actually, given that it consists of lots and lots of skirmish battles, each usually lasting no more than 5-10 mins and giving the option to choose (via map) which to go for next, tweak your team and save in between (easy pick-up and put-down).

believe me, I owned it and still overlooked it for a long time. It was only after recommendations on this forum I was pushed into trying it.. and I'm glad I did.

Track Nine on
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Same goes for Custom Robo.

I really, really liked Gotcha Force and really, really didn't like Custom Robo (thinking I'd be in for the same kind of experience). Gotcha Force is like Virtua On but with a bazillion different types of robots, all of them horribly unbalanced in some way.

Anyway, if Gotcha Force lost some of it's anime look and got some online multiplay, it would end up being a great Wii title.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm playing through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door now for the first time and it's really excellent so far, I heartily recommend it.

bruin on
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    As I have said already. It's old and it't outdated, just like all last gen recommend threads.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    JohnHam wrote:
    Eternal Darkness, Mario Strikers, and Mario Tennis (if you can find it; can someone tell me if this title is rare or what?) were all phenomenal.

I live in Britain and finally managed to get my hands on mario tennis (at a price I was willing to pay, £24) last weekend after searching for the damned thing for probably over a year. I mean, I found it several times in Gamestation stores, but they were always wanting to charge £40 for it. Thats for a USED copy (of a several year old game for a discontinued console) mind you. Same with mario party 7, Gamestation actually charges £5 more for a used copy than the original rrp! It's insane!

Still, I got it now, £24 split between me and my g/f (mario games are all she will play) and its ace. total mania. No idea whats going on half the time but don't care. I just set the ball on fire? ok. whats that? you didnt hit the ball back cos crocdiles were eating your leg? lol!

In short, if it has 'mario' written on the cover, expect to pay a premium, but expect quality as well.

malerik on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    malerik wrote:
    JohnHam wrote:

I live in Britain and finally managed to get my hands on mario tennis (at a price I was willing to pay, £24) last weekend after searching for the damned thing for probably over a year.

I've been searching here in Australia for years. The cheapest I've seen it is AU$90 (new), and I'm not willing to pay that.

I've also been searching US sites to import it, but without success. I can only find (expensive) used copies, and I don't really want to take the risk of buying a used game without seeing it first.

The game is rare as hens' teeth.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    ChtulieChtulie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In short, if it has 'mario' written on the cover, expect to pay a premium, but expect quality as well.

Which is unfortunatly overruled by:
    If it has 'party' written on the cover, don't expect quality.

Chtulie on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I've never played a Tales of game before, is Symphonia any good? Worth picking up for $20?

bruin on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote:
    I've never played a Tales of game before, is Symphonia any good? Worth picking up for $20?

Dear God yes

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Chtulie wrote:

Which is unfortunatly overruled by:
    If it has 'party' written on the cover, don't expect quality.
    That's not really true. Mario Party is good.

It's just too bad they're all the same, is all.

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Arcibi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Dear God yes
    Alright, good enough for me. I'll probably pick it up when I finish Paper Mario.

bruin on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Dear God yes
    Alright, good enough for me. I'll probably pick it up when I finish Paper Mario.
    Where are you picking this up, exactly? I've been keeping an eye out for this game for months, and I never see it anywhere. I really want to play it again.

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aydr wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Dear God yes
    Where are you picking this up, exactly? I've been keeping an eye out for this game for months, and I never see it anywhere. I really want to play it again.
    There's one copy at a Toys R Us I go to. Thinking about it, I should probably pick it up ASAP.

bruin on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i like cubivore

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Drakmathus wrote:
    i like cubivore

This is a good suggestion, if not for the fact that most people will probably never see a copy, ever. Very relaxing game, though.

HtR-Laser on